Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Excessive yawning

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Excessive yawning

What might cause excessive yawning and sighing with the feeling of not being able to take a deep breath.  I have had my heart checked (fine) and I had an upper endoscopy (fine).  I also have indigestion which seems like lots of tiny bubbly spit that comes up in my throat when I burp.  I keep getting these problems about every 6 weeks or so.  They will go away, but then return again.  Any clues......
Excessive yawning can be due to sleep deprivation, hyperventilation, anxiety or even neurologic disease.  You should see a neurologist.  This would be the type of specialist to help find the cause and the most helpful treatment.
I had this same thing happen in the end of October. It lasted about 5 days, went away for a week then returned for 5 days.  I was fine until the first week in January, when it happened again. Despite me insisting it couldn't be, Drs. thought it might be an anxiety attack. After taking meds with the first incident, Doctors agreed it wasn't anxiety since the problem continued unabated.   MRI, EKG, EEG and CT scans are normal, but Blood gas showed high oxygen levels.  

At first they thought it was related to my marathon training but I haven't run since it first started in October.  Then they proceeded to the anxiety attack theory.  After all the test results, they have no clue.

It is really weired and no can come up with an explanation.  My reasearch has yielded very little as well.  When it happens I yawn approx. every 2 mins. so it can be very embarrasing.  Sometimes the "yawn" is very long and I have difficulty getting my breath at all.  

Good Luck in finding out what is causing it and know you aren't alone. D.

reading what you said is like explaining exactly what i have.

i'm quite fit. i do some weights and also some cardio type exercises a few times a week but this thing is really getting to me.

it happens mostly after a big meal, or a night of drinking (which, drinking is extremely rare for me) and at night especially when i lie down.

my wife is already in bed as i'm typing this and i just can't go to bed now because i know i'll be up again in a few minutes walking around the house trying to catch a full breath. (of course she thinks i'm looking at the xxx sites!!!)

i'd love to know what this thing is but trying to explain it to a doctor i've had the same trouble as you. they keep going back to anxiety and I KNOW IT ISN'T.
i also haven't had much success with extensive research.

i'd like to keep track of this in case someone comes up with an answer for me.........or i find one for everyone else.

Rich
Hi...

I've been researching the web for the same topic.  I have the problem of not being able to take deep breaths.  Back in December I was diagnosed with a ulcer (HPylori) and I had it then.  The breathing incidents were happening then.  They went away and now almost 2 months later I now have the same thing. I dont know if it's indegestion, acid reflux, or ulcers are associated with this.  Ive had blood tests, Ct scans, exrays.  I too, have an anxiety disorder. In a way its familiar with panic attacks but usually with medication the shortness of breaths disappear.  Not so with this...

I pray someone or somewhere can come up with an answer.  At times its somewhat frightening.  

I have a tendency to believe that its build up of gas in the intestines and its hard to inhale due to the gas.  Has anyone noticed once they burp there is some relief?

Please email me at;  ***@**** if anyone has any answers or suggestions.  

Thanks!!
Hi...

Thanks!!
A related discussion, Stumped was started.