Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Food Allergy Testing

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Food Allergy Testing

I have had chronic sinusitis for many years which has been treated with antibiotics, steroid sprays etc with only limited success. I am begining to feel that it may be a food related problem. I have been on a wheat free diet for two minths and although I am not completely better I notice now a small amount of wheat aggrevates my symptoms. My allergist discounts this observation, saying its not likely. I would like to find more info on an elimination diet to see if food intolerances are adding to my sinus/congestion problems. Any imput would be welcome.
While it is not likely that wheat has any significant role in this process, it is easy to find diets that eliminate wheat.  I would suggest that you perform a web search for wheat or gluten free diets.  Create a careful diary to follow how you are before going on the diet and for about 2 or 3 weeks on the diet to see if there is any noticeable change.

Please read our allergies to foods information at http://www.nationaljewish.org/disease-info/diseases/allergy/about/allergic-to/food.aspx to learn more.  Another source of information that you may want to pursue is the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network at http://www.foodallergy.org or (800) 929-4040.  They have high quality and reliable information regarding food allergy.
I had a post nasal drip, congestion and breathing difficulties for years that got worse and worse to the point of not being able to sleep without cholking on mucous - this was rather terrifying and I'd jolt awake from not breathing with a hugh amount of adrenalin and really high heart rate. I presume i was choking in my sleep.

i also had lots of nasal infections presumably becuase the area was always wet and a nice place for bacteria to do their thing.

I saw one allergist who thought the problem was pollen but I didn't agree. I had a vague idea it was food at the time. I tried cutting out wheat and felt better - but later realized what made the difference was cutting out the cornflour by changing breads. I have no problem with wheat unless it's got corn added.

to cut a long story short I eventually identified the cause as food related rections. I would get the reaction after eating dinner and it would last until maybe 2 am before I could sleep.

I am doing an elimination diet with the help of a dietician after being diagnosed by an immunologist/allergist based on my observations about what foods cause the mucous/coughing.

The main problem is with salicylates - natural substances in fruit and vegetables, the net problem seems to be with some protein rich foods like cheeses which contain "amines".

basically on the elimintaion diet I have dried right up and can breathe normally. Next is a challenge phase to identify more speciically what's the cause. I am so relived to breathe normally it's a fantastic feeling. It's been a long process banging my head against brick walls with various GPs that didn't think food could cause mucous problems.

PS I will probably do a challenge with Aspirin which is a form of salicylate - to find out whether it would be dangerous for me to take that medicine.

It's hard working in the dark - i'd relly recommnd finding an allergist who will take your food suspicions seriously and put you on an elimintaion diet.

all the best
It is my experience too, my allergist is convinced that food allergies/intolerances are highly unlikely to be causing my problems. However, he does say that if I wish to eliminate some food groups to see if they make a difference it won't hurt. I have read a few people have found corn products to be problematic. My ENT does believe food plays a role in respirtory illness and has given me a list of foods to cut down on, though he doesn't necessariliy say I have to eliminate them. I guess the jury is still out in the medical community whether or not food plays a role, but it seems to me that most conventional MDs don't agree that food is much of an issue.
I strongly disagree with your allergist. Food allergies are many times more severe (as far as reaction), then environmental allergies and can be responsible for chronic sinus problems as well as muscle aches, etc. etc.

I saw a physician who worked with Dr. Weil. He immediately put me on the elimination diet (no dairy, no corn, no wheat and no sugar) for at least 2 weeks. That is how I find out that I either had a severe allergy or intolerance to gluten. Celiac disease alone affects one in every 130 to 300 individuals.

Food allergies are on the rise in children.