Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Getting worse before getting better? (Unresponsive to antibiotics?)

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I'ma 41 yr old male, in generally good health with a little bit of anxiety but not on any meds for it. Went Monday to my doc for a upper respiratory probs that I had had for four days: coughing, sore throat, some sinus congestion, below normal fever (except for day of visit when it went to 99.1F).  Cough in mornings was slightly productive, just watery clear fluid-sinus crud is also clear. O2 saturation was 100%. Doc diagnosed bronchitis, put me on zithromax, allegra D and gave me vicotuss. He said my lungs were clear. (as an aside-I had an IDENTICAL sickness the year before almost to the day-kinda wierd)

Today I finished my antibiotic and while I do feel I have more energy, as of last night I now get crackling in my lungs at the end of the exhale when I take a deep breath. It's worse when lying down for a while.  It also seems to go away if I'm up and about for a while.

I also started sneezing last night (and once got a little of a pale yellow gunk from my throat when I sneezed-the rest of the time it's clear)

I wasn't taking the Allegra but started today (Me and pseudophedrine aren't the greatest friends but I'm tolerant-it revs me up)

I take the vicotuss at night but wake up after a couple of hours with what I can best describe as a hangover.

Fever is going between below normal to 99.5.

Should I be concerned with the amount of crackling?  Should I see a doc again?  Should I sleep sitting up as opposed to lying down? Is there anything else I can take as as substitutes or that might help more?  
Thanks!
~peace~
mp
You should consult your physician again if you are still having crackling.  It can be a symptom of pneumonia.  You may need a chest x-ray.  If you are more comfortable sleeping in an upright position, you should let your physician know this as well.  It can take a few more days for the symptoms to completely resolve after finishing an antibiotic.
If the Vicotuss interferes with your sleep you should stop taking it.  You do not need the Allegra D unless you are continuing to have nasal congestion.
Bronchitis is swelling and inflammation in the airways of the lungs.  Symptoms can include cough with mucus, chest discomfort, fever, and/or extreme tiredness.  It is often, but not always, caused by an infection, which can be due to bacteria or a virus.  An antibiotic is taken if bacteria are causing the bronchitis.  Generally an antibiotic is not prescribed if a virus is causing the bronchitis.  This is because an antibiotic is not effective against a viral infection and unnecessary use of antibiotics can lead to "drug-resistant" bacteria.  When a virus is the cause it
Thanks for the words.  The crackling cleared up though I still have some upper respiratory cough on occasion.  I'm a little tweaked my doc gave me the antibiotic because it looks more viral now than bacterial and I hate taking antibiotics if I can help it.

~Peace~
Michael