Respiratory Disorders Community
Gluten sensitivity & Post nasal drip Related?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I'm experiencing problems with post nasal drip..thin, clear mucous that seems settled in my throat. I clear my throat constantly and hear loose mucous when I cough. My doctor hinted that as we age (I'm 60) we lose the enzymes that help us digest foods. I bought an OTC extraction of plant enzymes to aid digestion, to be taken before eating, and it seemed to help. I'm now trying to eat more fruits and veggies (instead of the pills) and exploring what happens when I avoid gluten/wheat/rye/etc. Five days into this and I'm waking up in the am with NO nose blowing, throat clearing OR coughing. Also, I just bought gluten/wheat/dairy-free cookies and crackers and found NO adverse reaction after eating 'em; this seems like a real "break-thru", and since my symptoms continue (albeit much milder) I'll continue monitoring food choices to try and narrow down the sensitivity. Still, I thought I'd pass on the idea of gluten intollerance to others having the mucous/throat clearing problem and listen to see if anyone else made this particular connection (?)

This discussion is related to Eating food causes excess mucus.
I have the same thing!  However, I started noticing this "reaction" when I was 11 years old.  Now, at 21, I've been noticing the symptoms when I eat other foods.  Dairy seems to be one of the culprits...

I was tested for over 250 foods and environmental substances with some alternative testing process.  The results indicated a sensitivity to 70 of the substances.  Among them were wheat, my synthetic thyroid med, my amalgam (silver) tooth fillings and honey, among many others.  I began eliminating things that were the easiest.  Eliminating the wheat/gluten proved to be the biggest winner with only minimal clear nasal drainage now.  My tongue had always had a white coating on it, but after my filings were removed, that, too, is gone.  My muscle aches are minimal since switching to the Armor Thyroid (straight from the pig).  I learned honey caused some drainage.  While I am still sorting through various foods, I am much more confident in the testing I had done.  The medical population are unable to find any allergies/sensitivities that have caused me to develop a serious lung condition - one that sent me to Seattle for a lung transplant work-up.  There is a lot to be said for the wheat/gluten angle.  I, too, am a senior citizen and am feeling much better.  The alternative foods are interesting to try and I really like them.  Bob's Red Mill GF flours and mixes are great, as are Namaste brownies and cakes.
I have a similar story. I had an ELISA Food Allergy test, which indicated that I should avoid about 15 foods, including gluten, eggs, and dairy. When I went totally gluten/egg/dairy free, my lungs, throat, and sinuses cleared of mucas within about two weeks, I experienced far fewer chest colds, and, interestingly, my skin got less oily and I had less acne.I also lost the bags under my eyes, which was a cool side-benefit.

MY QUESTIONS ARE: What is wrong with us? Is this diagnosed somewhere as a particular illness, and we're just not hearing about it? Is there medication that we can take that will allow us to eat gluten, even for a short time? Are there other related medical issues we should be aware of?

Btw, the "normal" medical community did not have anything to help me so far, though I suspect that I just haven't found the right diagnosis yet; all my tests came back within normal range, and I am not a Celiac.
So happy to find others out there!! I have been aware of this phlegm issue for about 5 years. I first became aware when a friend commented on recognizing my presence by my throat clearing.
I have found gluten to be a major culprit. I've been essentially gluten free for several years now, and whenever I try something again, I get major phlegm for about a day. It's very annoying. I describe it as deep phlegm, not easy to cough up.
However, I also notice that I have it to a lesser degree when my blood sugar is too high (I am diabetic). And I am also beginning to wonder about a connection to candida in the body (mercury fillings have been related to candida, and maybe the person above who found relief by removing fillings, also removed candida?) If anyone has ideas about the gluten sensitiivity, candida, and deep phlegm interconnections, I would be interested.
I have not even bothered the doctor's with this - they have no idea. And this is the first forum I have found connecting gluten and mucus.  I have read a lot about gluten sensitivity and never (until now) found mucus as a related symptom!
thanks!
Thanks!
I have the exact same symptoms! I have the excess mucus & coughing after eating. Sometimes it is instant (within 30 minutes) and other times it is a couple hours later. I too have noticed some relief when eliminating gluten. I went to see a Gastro who has advised that I get a scope & biopsy of my stomach & intestines to see if it is in fact sensitivity to gluten on 9/15 but my insurance has "requested additional information to deem it medically necessary". I soooo hope there is an answer. Where did you get the ELISA test or the 250 food allergy test done & how much does it cost?
I am suffering from a mucus attack as I write this.  The back of my throat is irritated and mucus is flowing so heavy and thick that it gags me at times. No nasal issues though. It makes it difficult to breathe.  My symptoms are definitely related to wheat and gluten.  I ate some ice cream and a soft drink of brands which I normally do not consume.  I felt an irritation early on and the full blown reaction a few hours later.  Yes, certain ice creams and soft drinks contain gluten and/or wheat.  Through tedious trial and error I have found some that do not bother me.  I control this with a strict gluten free diet.  I ventured out of my safety zone today and paying the price now.
The medical community is of no help.  They do not have a clue how this is related.  For most of my life I was rarely able to breath through my nose and had a severe sore throat about once a month.  The heavy mucus issue started in my adult life a few years ago.  I was examined by several doctors over a couple of years.  They prescribed drug after drug to combat the symptoms. Nothing helped.   My wife finally helped me diagnose myself after reading books and articals by Dr. Mark Hyman who seeks to find the cause instead of just treating the symptoms.  I still have not found any medical reviews related this type of allergic reaction to wheat and gluten.
I eliminated wheat and gluten from my diet and was feeling better in 24 hours.  Feeling great in a couple of days and no longer take any medication.  I breath through my nose now and have not had a sore throat in a couple of years.
Hopefully this will help some one out there.  God bless.
I have also discovered that I develop a sinus/ upper respiratory infection when I eat sugar or gluten.  I have eliminated both from my diet and no longer get sick.  However, when I accidentally eat gluten or sugar, I develop an infection and I do not know how to get rid of the infection without using antibiotics.  I have tried to stick it out, but it always turns into bronchitis or pneumonia that aggravate my asthma.  Does anyone have any suggestions for recovering without antibiotics?