Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Humidifier on CPAP Machine

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Humidifier on CPAP Machine

I am a new CPAP machine user.  I have a humidifier on my machine.  I am doing very well after only one week with the air pressure but I awake a couple of times each night because the steam condenses in the hose and water drips in my nose!  So I have to get up and empty water out of the hose and back into the humidifier.  My throat gets really dry without the humidifier.  Also, my headgear slips off.  So I think I need a different one.  Any suggestions for either issue?  Thanks!
The first step should be to turn-down the heat on your humidifier.  That will still provide humidification but reduce the condensation.  If your headgear slips off, it may have been improperly fitted.  You should return to the sleep lab and work with the technologist to get a tight-fitting head gear.  While you are at that, also make sure that the mask you are using is correctly sized.

The key to effective continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) device is for the apparatus to be tailored to you and the “sleep staff” has an obligation to guarantee that.
I am using the lowest setting of the humidifier so that I do not get the drips but my throat is still very dry.  Higher than that the water drips.  It's just doesn't make sense to me to make a humidifier that doesn't really work.  

I did go back to the technicians and am working with them.  I bought a thermal sleeve for my tubing.  I think it helps a bit.  But I think the machine doesn't work properly.  Thanks for your answer.  I will continue to work with the techs till the problem is solved.  It has helped to hear from someone who has had more experience that I have had!