Respiratory Disorders Community
Is everyone still having these sympthoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I see these comments are from 2006. I am currently having many of these same problems. Tickle in throat, sharp pain, cough, tears, nose dripping. This has been happening for the past 5 months. I've been to a ENT. He said it was my tonsils. I had them out. At first while I was on meds during my recovery from the surgery the symptoms stopped. But after I stopped taking the pain killers anti-biotic and the steroids the tickle came back. I've been taking Previcid for acid reflux but this has not stopped the attacks. Does anyone have any current information on this?

This discussion is related to Tickle in throat makes me cough and choke.
Tags: crg
I am in my 50's, have suffered with this terrible sudden itch in throat attack--followed by terrible coughing that only stops the itch when some kind of fluid comes up from my lungs--not really phlegm, more watery--since 1992. That was when I became an active speaking minister. It feels like a flea suddenly bites one (or the other) side of my throat or maybe vocal cords or sometimes I think it feels like a big hive in my throat because it feels like a lump comes up. A throat specialist went down with a scope and said everything was normal. My doctor diagnosed allergy or sinus problems, and possible asthma, and put me on antihistamines and an asthma inhaler. None of it worked. Then she put me on Claritin D and it seemed to work for at least a year. Then it came back again and she put me on a different brand of Claritin D-like medication. Nothin'. Then I was diagnosed with Acid Reflux. They put me on Prevacid which worked again, for about a year. The another doctor had to put me on some meds that rendered the Prevacid useless, and it never worked again. I still get the itch, it's not as bad as it often was, but it is still chronic, with only occasional time without it. And sometimes it is so bad and I cough so hard I get nauseous and even vomit at times. At those times my throat ends up sore. I use cough meds and ibuprofen overnight, sometimes a codein med., and my throat heals, but the itch always comes back. For what it's worth, that's my story. Perhaps it has something to do with speaking, and the use of my vocal cords. That's the only thing that makes sense, and the itch sure feels like it's right there. Thanks for listening.
i as well have these problems..over 4 year now.I have been diagnosed with asthma,but i am certain it is not just asthma.I am really afraid of them at times,i will get to where i am struggling for even a whisp of air for 30 or 40 seconds if it gets full blown.this has happened several times.I am so very careful on getting strangled for that is the worst.It almost always starts with the tickle in my throat,i only have 10-15 seconds to get it under control.fast acting inhaler does help sometimes,but does not completely stop it..it just helps me get it under control.I would love to know what this is,but as with everyone else i don't...i just know it will scare the hell out of you and anyone around you....
good luck to all of you,i do feel your fear and pain....
i have the same exact symptoms...well since march 07 so almost a year.My tonsils are inflamed on a daily basis,also have a bunch of tan light brown tissus on my pharyngeal walls...I have sharp pain in my throat radiating in my right ear from time to time,also most of the time i have the sensation that something is stuck in my throat near my right tonsil.My tonsils have deep crypts and i always get tonsils stones,seen many doctors and an ENT,had many x-rays taken.Some swollen lymph nodes,yeah its a mess...But still the doctors i have seen they all think everything is fine.They dont know whats going on.I have an appointment to see another ENT in may so im hopping he will recommend to take my tonsils out.Hopefully removing my tonsils will take care of the problems or at least helph.Basically the doctors i have seen so far told me that my tonsils were in bad shape but not bad enought to consider a tonsillectomy.

Some days are better than others,i can feel alright for a few days but it always comeback.

Hi all - I have a similar problem. I have Cystic Fibrosis - so coughing is normal for me. But this back of the throat tickle is incredibly bothersome!  Now I've had post nasal drip, and this isn't it. Sleeping upright or upside down doesn't seem to make a difference. My Dr prescribed Tussinex which I promptly went back and got her to give me Cotridin instead. I find Tussinex to be completely useless while the Cotridin (or its known as Co-Actifed) is substantially superior! While on this med driving is a No-No, at least I get to sleep at night (YAY!). I've tried the Lemon/honey trick, salt water etc. I was prescribed Ventolin (for emergency cant breathe situations!) and Advair. I found the advair diskus was no good, but the inhaled advair seemed to help a bit.  If its related to lung infections, I've got tons of those to pick from so cant really narrow it down. Right now it feels like I've got a web of spider silk or cat hair in the back of my throat and its just not clearing. Did anyone else find a solution that works?
I am a 33 year female and since Sept, I have been having the itchy throat sensation which inevitably leads to coughing for at least a minute, running eyes, running nose, incontenance and throwing up.  I once threw up on myself at the Humane Society and today I had to stop my car because I thought I was going to throw up!  It's a very embarassing disorder, whatever it is.  

When it starts to come on, I start to feel panicked and want to run.  People at work immediately start asking if I am ok and all I can do is wave my hands at them!  My husband blames it on my smoking, which I'm sure doesn't help, but I have smoked since I was 17 and quit when I was 29, then started again a few months before these episodes started.  At first I did blame it on the smoking but I have had smokers cough and it never ever came near these coughing attacks!

It is getting so embarassing and I worry so much I will just throw up on myself in public.  Been to the doctor once and since I have tried a steroid, Mucinex, Claritin and now I am trying Prilosec.  I probably should go back to the doctor but after reading all the posts, I am beginning to think it will be a waste of time.  

And...this feels like the worst for me.  The last few days I have been eating very lightly and feeling nauseous for no reason.  I know it is me just being afraid I will start coughing due to the tickle and then worrying about throwing up.  I have even worried about whether it is cancer or something absolutely horrible....  This is really doing a job on me physically and mentally.
I have been experiencing very similar symptoms for two months. I had what was probably a viral infection, which included a very sore throat for which i took a course of amoxyl.  The sudden tickle in the throat resulting in spasms of coughing has plagued me for two months and comes on suddenly with no warning,  more at night but often during the day.  I had further antibiotics and visits to my doctor, who has now referred me to an ENT specialist.

I have a question - I also have trouble swallowing,  maybe not exactly problems swallowing, but the feeling that there is something in my throat whenever I swallow.  Does anyone else have this sensation?  It's like there is 'something' there in my throat which shouldn't be there.
Thank you for helping me to see I'm not alone in having this mystery disorder. I thought I was just crazy. Since no doctors seem to know what this disorder is we should give it a name. Anyone have any ideas??? Maybe "Chronic Intermitent Throat Tickle Syndrome" or something. I couldn't fall back asleep for awhile after an attack last night. For some reason I couldn't get this song out of my head:

"Chronic Tickle in my Throat
You just want to make me Choke
Make Tears well up in my Eyes
Doctors cannot tell me Why
Chronic Tickle in my Throat
I JUST CAN’T SING THIS SONG I WROTE"

My sister are telling me to see an Herbalist to see if he can help me. I'm considering it at this point. If I do I'll let you know what he says.

Thank you again
I had those symptoms in 1993 and was told by pulmonary specialist that I had developed bronchial asthma because I had pneumonia and didn't get treated so it turned into bronchial asthma. I had a cold for 3 months. (thought it was a cold) Also, I did work around a lot of chemicals and several different kinds of fumes. It took a year to get my cough and wheezing under some kind of control with prednisone, and different asthma medicines and inhalers.  Now and again I do get those spells but prednisone seems to calm it down. NOW  I was told that I have an elevated lung nodule which will be watched by ct scans every 3 months until they say it is begin??? God bless hope you get your ca ugh under control.
I'm so glad I'm not alone. I started coughing in October 2007. It started as a bronchitis type cold, then just stayed as the typical tickle cough described by most of you. Its starts whenever it wants, for NO reason... A horrid tickle/sting in my throat which no matter how hard you try to ignore or fight it, you start coughing...and coughing... and coughing. Due to the cough my bladder is rebelling, my eyes water constantly, and occasionally vomit. I went back to the Dr (new doc as my old one suddenly stopped practicing in December), and she started by saying it was my BP meds... I take Lisinopril/HCTZ. I've been taking this for 3 years without a single cough, in fact my old doc and I went through several meds to find this one that DIDN'T make me cough. She insisted so I gave her 50 dollar co-pay med a try (opposed to my 4.oo lisinopril med). Guess what?? Didnt work... I return a month later.... She puts me on Allegra.. Didn't work. I return a month later... She gives me an xray which comes up clear.. I return a month later to have a sinus infection this time so she says to come back in another month after the sinus infection clears.... (I'm not liking her at this point). Now, I call and tell her that I NEED FIXED NOW. So she tries Nasonex and Albuteral Inhaler. Doesnt work. ..
Two weeks ago I went on a med strike. Stopped ALL my meds just to see IF it might be them.. Nope.. Still coughing.
I go back to see her Friday and we'll see what the next try is.. After reading from all of you, I doubt anything will "fix" me.

Its making me depressed as I can't work, can't sleep, keep my husband up all night, my 10 month old is now "fake coughing" to mock me (his first mock is a fake cough...gee wonderful...). I have to make sure I have Pepsi or Coke at all times to "cure" the cough. It doesnt totally take it out, but it tones down how hard I cough.

I read somewhere that Vitamin B12, and A can help? Going to look into this as I used to take B12 in injection form years ago.. I would'nt mind doing this again if it helps!

There seriously has to be some sort of problem if we all are dealing with this and nothing is helping!
I searched on the net this evening as this problem is ruining my life.

It started two years ago as a one off event and I was so totally embarrased. In the end I threw up from the coughing.

More recently I am having them during very important meetings, and as you all know the there is very little to no warnings. I am so distressed I was thinking about changing my career as having to leave a meeting every 15 minutes is not good.

I had one last week and I ran outside so no one would see my purple face, bulging runny eyes and slobber being coughed all over the place. The worse and new thing is the pain I had as I choked in the car park. It was like stabbing knives across my chest and arms. So terribly painful I actually thought my time had come.

I too am asthmatic and suffer from Thyroidism. I have been to see my doctor who once again took my blood to test, but came up with no real answers.

If anyone can help I would be so greatly appreciated.
Just like all of you, I am tired of this problem. It began in December '07 till this day. Talked to my doctor and he changed my second blood pressure medication. Since nothing has changed, he just told me to stop taking it except for metropolol. The coughing continues. I caught the flu in April 4 for a week and the tickle stopped. I was coughing from congestion. As soon as I was back in good shape, the tickle started again.

I stopped my blood pressure pill  thinking it was the side effects. The tickle and coughing still continues. The advair does not help but I need it anyway for my asthma, and so with rhynocort for my nasal allergies. Zyrtec is what I take for my indoor and outdoor allergies. I am done with Claritin and Alegra which does not help with my allergies. I take vitamins C, Calcium with D, iron, magnesium, and also take Fish oil and garlic pills.

Tonight I decided to skip all the pills including vitamins and hopefully the coughing will be less frequent.

I boiled slices of ginger for about half an hour, and poured it in a covered mug. Every time the coughing begins, I take a sip of this warm drink. It feels soothing and shortens the episode. I still cough out real tiny phlegm, but the episode is less intense.
Wow, I'm not alone.  I am British, but have lived in Singapore for the last year and have had this problem since I was 18.  I am now 33!  

It does seem to begin as a tickle/intense dryness on one or other of my tonsils.  Then my eyes water and nose runs and i find it hard to breathe properly.  I then seem to get loads of saliva which I swallow swallow swallow like mad.  I desperately need to cough, and do so.  I cannot talk.  When I cough I feel like I may vomit.  

These episodes happen once in a while, I may go for a few weeks with nothing then a week or so of frequent ones.  When I have a cold/sore throat it happens A LOT and loads at night.  It wakes me constantly.  I don't know what to do,  Drink doesn't help when an attack occurs, cough sweets do a little to slightly numb the throat enough to get me back to sleep (except last night I woke to find I was still sucking one - not a great idea!)

It definitely starts on the tonsil though, I'm sure that's where the problem is.  When I was younger I developed little holes in my tonsils, I wonder if that's causing it.  

Started to drink a drop of real lemon juice when it happens and that causes a lot of saliva to develop and perhaps stop the attack but not completely,

Weird
I have an appointment with my ENT tomorrow and I'm printing out all of your responses. Not that it's going to make any difference but maybe someone will start to really look at what is plaguing all of us. If you could take a copy of these comments to your doctors maybe one of them might be able to figure something out. Just my recent thought since I'm awake because of having an attack.
Good idea to print this out and show it to your ENT.  Please let us know what you find out.  I just joined this community because I, like all of you, am sitting here at 12:51am at my computer trying to find some solution to ease this tickle in my throat that is keeping me awake at night, and embarrassing me at work by day.  I'm on Avelox (an antibiotic) to cure a sinus infection, but am actually more miserable 4 days after being on antibiotics than I was when I went to the PCP!  Same as you all are describing.  Well - good luck to all of you - please post any new information.  I'm going to go try sleeping on my chest like one gentleman suggested, so that I don't continue to keep my husband and kids awake tonight.
Went to the ENT yesterday. He scoped my throat and said everything looked normal. The prevacid he gave me was working well. However he still could not find anything out of the ordinary. I gave him a copy of your experiences and he said he'd look at them when he had some time. One thing that struck me as funny was that the doctor numbed my throat so he could look down it. After I left his office my throat was completely numb. I had a hard time swallowing because I couldn't feel anything. However my throat started to tickle and Bam!!! I got a sever attack even with my throat completely numb. That surprised me. I thought for sure while my throat was numb I would not have an attack. So what ever this thing is you can't even numb it.
I posted last on April 13 and when I returned to my doctor, she said to try Prevacid. She gave me samples to last until my next appointment and I THINK that I started to get some relief. I say think as I just got another sinus infection and upper resp thing going and whenver I have some other thing making me cough, the tickle goes away. She did refuse my request for B12 saying that it wouldn't work. I am out of samples and return to her again on Wednesday. I have old prevacid from 5 years ago and have started taking it, but I'm still coughing so either the prevacid is bad or it never worked to begin with. My doc was very unsympatheic to my crying for help. My quality of life is GONE. My sex life is gone... I mean who wants to have sex with someone who might start coughing in the middle of it all? Expecially when it causes bladder issues!!! My relationship is suffering, my children are worried, I can't leave the house without a fresh COLD pepsi and praying that I wont cough while I'm out. If this is living, I don't want any part of it anymore.
Hi, I have had something like all of you ,I got a pneumoia in Jan and it well not clear up.
I got so bad two weeks ago that I just knew it was it! Then my Dr. ,who said would get to bottom of all this had to say, man you are just full, worse this time than the first time! AT
first he said I had asthma and then COPD then acid reflux, now for the first time in 4 months I have  pretty clear lungs still have a cough all the time. I think we cough so hard we throw up . My nose is always dripping, I always have a cough and now for no reason
my lungs are filling up for nothing! They say they cant find out why.They wanted to put
a tub down my noise for 24 hours and then as they take it out , see what my esophgus
dose as it comes out, sounds like to much fun for this old girl! Now i have had the same lungs for 55 years and I dont smoke, so now what guys?I do have asthma and I have had
this pneumoia off and on for 4 months, it puts scares in your lungs i do know that. I am
not getting any younger but why now all of a sudden? Why am I not getting over it altogeather? If any one reads this please let me know something, PLEASE! I did get
some INFO from ILL. lung Inst and they say it might be phibrosis of the lungs,Scars that make more scars and so on and so forth till you dont breath any more. You can get better at times an then it keeps coming back till you are no more! Pleas let me know some thing about it! If the girl with the phibrosis will Email me with some of her own
symtoms (symptoms) and share some INFO with me , Please! God bless you all and I will pray for us all tonight ,OKKKKK! I do bleave in prayers and i do know they work with GOD!

Love YA ALL,

sister mtt
I just wanted to say that my cough has virtually dissapeared with Prevacid. I still have an occasional cough which I'll gladly "deal" with... at least its not that sudden horrid cough attack that leaves you gasping for breath with eyes watering. This light cough happens maybe once a day and sometimes I can fight it, no more itchy throat either!
Cough is back and apparently the prevacid didn't stop it.
Sorry to hear the prevacid didn't stop you cough. I've been taking it for about 6 mos. now and it has stopped my acid reflux but not the tickle. The only thing that been helping me not have as many attacks lately is chewing gum. However after awhile your jaw gets tired so it only works so long. Nothing new to report to everyone. If I learn anything else I'll let you know.
My doc tried mixing Singulair and Sudafed as well as the Prevacid. Nothing. I was beginning to think that the tickle WAS being caused by post nasal drip but the sudafed stopped that, but the tickle is still there. An occasional drink of VERY COLD soda will kick it, but I mostly rely on Ice Breakers Wintergreen sugar free mints. I'm just waiting to choke on one in my sleep though! UGH.

In two months I'm moving and hoping MAYBE that some weird allergy from this old house is causing the cough,, or maybe the clear county air will help.. If anything else, maybe my new doc with a new set of eyes will help.

I just can not see my coughing as something I'll have the rest of my life.

PS>. forgot to add that my current doc has said that "if this doesnt work, we'll have to look at the fact that because you smoked years ago, it could be residual smokers cough and you'll just have to deal with it!'... I smoked for MAYBE 4 years... not even a half pack a day... quit cold turkey 5 years ago, and never coughed once until after my bout with a severe resp cold in October 07... I swear I hate stupid docs.
Hi Everyone,
I stumbled onto this board and couldn't believe how much I relate to what you all are saying.  I might have located a possible thing for us to look into - sarcoidosis.  It's apparently a rare disease that results in a combination of dry mouth and cough, as well as other symptoms.  The good news is that, if this is what's causing our problems, it's treatable with mild steroids and causes few if any long-term problems.

Okay so here's what makes me think some of us have sarcoidosis: This is basically a build-up of small tissue or lumps within the immune system of your body.  What happens is that something triggers it - like your body legitimately fighting a toxin or an illness - but your body doesn't stop fighting it when the toxin leaves or the illness is cured.  (Such as the person with the bug bites and those of us that has bronchitis at some point?) So the result is that these clumps of cells are formed.  They can be pretty much on any organ, but often they are lumps in the throat and/or the lungs.  This causes the strange and sudden coughing.

Other symptoms that people have (but not necessarily) are fever, weakness and fatigue, pain in the joints, pain in the chest and shortness of breath (causing asthma misdiagnoses) and loss of appetite.  Depending on where the lumps are located, you could also have calcium deposits somewhere (I have one on my foot and one on my knee), liver inflamation (inflammation) or kidney issues.

According to an article I read, it's rarely diagnosed properly because of a couple of reasons.  First, there is no, "Hey look - there it is!" kind of blood condition or anything to point to.  It can only be diagnosed by ruling other things out (as I think we are learning the hard way).  It's a rare disease (less than 1 in 2,000 people they think) so many doctors don't think of it.  And also, it can treat itself over time AND come and go making it like a moving target.

I'm not a doctor, but this just made sense to me and instantly I calmed down a bit at the thought of having a possible logical answer.  Hopefully it helps some of you too.
I thought I posted a comment, but I can't find it.  This is my first experience at posting, so I might have done something wrong.  If this post goes through, I'll try my original post suggestions again in another post.  Wish me luck.
Here I go again, trying to remember what I said in my original, lost post.

I've been suffering from this malady for many years in all environments, with most of the same symptoms as all of you:  sudden tickle in the throat with several seconds of advance notice before the choking cough arrives, simultaneously with the filling of both nostrils with mucus and tears running down the face from one or both eyes.  The cough is so severe and persistent as to cause nausea and sometimes vomiting and leaving me unable to speak for a few moments.

I had found that sipping a few sips of extremely hot water seems to stop the cough if I catch it fast enough.  So I have taken to carrying around a small thermos bottle of very hot water everywhere I go, even to bed at night.  Now here is what I have discovered just recently.  For fear of burning myself with the hot water, I have taken to holding the cup of hot water to my mouth, encompassing my nose, in order to blow on it.  In effect, what is happening is I'm breathing out and then in.  Instead of sipping the hot water, I'm letting the steam melt away the mucus and somehow relax the muscles of the throat.  Mind you, this is only about an ounce of hot water.  When the steam has had its effect, I then sip the small amount of water, blow my nose, wipe my eyes--and try to go back to sleep or go about my business--until the next attack.  

These attacks can be very frequent, several times a day or night--in the air-conditioned house or out of doors--but mostly in warm weather.  A few weeks ago, we had a spell of very rainy weather--several days.  The attacks disappeared at that time, only to return when the sun came out again.

I have allergy-induced asthma and inhale Asmanex once a day.  That treatment seems to help one type of cough which I can easily live with.  From time to time if I contract bronchitis, which I'm currently taking an antibiotic for, my cough is different, with plenty of phlegm (I also suffer from post nasal drip.)  But the worst cough is the Tickle Throat Cough.

If my suggestion above is tried by anyone and it helps, please let us all know.  Good luck.
Thank you for the new theories and suggestions on this mystery ailment. I have nothing new to report on my end. I'm still getting these symptoms however I'm sleeping better at night or during the day since I'm working the night shift now. Is there anything that we all have in common that could be a cause or trigger?  Let's start with me. In the last year I have been diagnosed type 2 diabetes which I take pills for. I have high blood pressure which I take medication. That's about all the major things wrong with me outside of this tickle cough. I live in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Anyone else care to share something about themselves?
Thanks for the new info
Carlg
I googled cough with throat tickle and found this great site!  Here is my tickle throat cough history.  For the second time in the past few years, I am battling this ailment.  The first time, I found I have mild asthma, had a pulmonary arterial/venus malformation discovered and fixed, tried changing blood pressure meds, took Nexium and finally found relief with a simple first generation antihistamine.  Then it was taken off the market and I was on my own again.  Luckily I was symptom free for awhile, but a few months ago,the throat tickle, followed by a violent coughing fits started up again.  This time I've had a lung x-ray which was clear, and doc has tried Tessalon Pearls, Zyrtec,  steroid shot and Nasamist with very little success.  I have several violent spells daily and several at night..  Tomorrow I am going to an allergist to see what I may be allergic to that is causing this post nasal drip that seems to be causing these episodes.  I had whooping cough when a was pregnant with my twins in the 60's.  That was worse than this but only because the whooping fits led to forced vomiting (not nausea induced) as well as bladder issues (mostly due to being pregnant).   I'll let you know what the allergist says...hope he has the answer!  I feel for all of you!
I'm also Type 2 diabetic (controlled via Metformin and Avandia A1C was 6.7 today), High Blood pressure (Lisinopril/Hctz--and yes this was looked at first as a probable cause), Hypothyroid (Synthroid) and apparent allergies with post-nasal drip (calmed by Sudafed over the counter--does not stop cough).

Does your cough seem to peak and subside at times? Mine seems to be fairly quiet for a couple weeks.. still coughing but not as horrible and sometimes able to calm it without coughing. Then it gets worse and is as bad as ever. Seems when it triggers bad, I am also dealing with increased sinus activity. However sinus/allergy meds do not work at all.

I did go to the doc today again... she gave me samples of a new allergy med called Xyzal. We'll see.

The only good thing of all of this is I have managed to lose 30 pounds in the past 3 months from all the meds.
i love this forum!!! my fiance has been having the tickle throat syndrome... itchy thoat, dry cough. diagnoses and treatment for asthma, allergies and acid reflux but nothing works!!! we are seeing a pulmonologist in a month (to make sure that he really doesn't have asthma) but as of now, we are at a loss as to what to do. he coughs more at night and has been throwing up. oh wel, good luck to all of us!
This is the latest in my part of this ongoing saga. I went to see a GI (Gastroenterologist) yesterday on the advice of my primary and ENT doctors. I gave them a copy of all your comments in this forum which they seemed interested in. (It seems after I give a doctor a copy of everyone else's comments they stop looking at me like I'm nuts) However right from the get go they seemed to be really interested in my symptoms. They didn't seem surprised by what I told them. When I told them sometimes when it really hurts I have to throw up, they said it was probably clear mucus before I finished the sentence. The doctor said it can be many things anywhere from acid reflux, ulcers, to esophageal problems which they said they are seeing more and more of. They said it could even be from having swallowed large pills that got stuck or scratched the esophagus. Of course they will need to do more tests to narrow it down but it seems like they think they can pin down at least what's causing my problems. You may also want to see a GI to see if he can help you. I'm not starting the test til the end of October because of work. Hopefully this will give others an avenue to pursue. Yes Cough Mama there may be light at the end of the tunnel. That's all for now
It seems after a period of about 3 weeks of no symptoms, the tickle throat cough has returned.  I'm back to sipping very hot water, which stops the cough in its tracks--especially if I can catch it fast enough.
i thought i am all alone in this battle against this tickle throat syndrome... i swear i am so scared i thought i was going to die after only two bouts of tickle throat attacks i coughed so hard i can no longer breathe i was grasping for air...i am planning to see a doctor tomorrow...

i don't mind coughing every now and then but this is the first time i had to grasp for air and thats a different story...
Nothing new to report. The tickle in my throat took a 3 week vacation however it's come back again with a vengence. I'm looking forward to having the tests done at the end of October to see if the gastroenterologist can come up with anything. I will keep you posted.

Carlg
I have suffered from this syndrome since high school.  It is great to hear you all feeling as confused as I am about it.  I always try to find someone who understands, but no one really does (except people who have it).  I had a doc tell me in college, "I can find nothing wrong with you," and send me on my way (but taking my money).  I had a preacher tell me it was anxiety attacks becuase I was having premarital sex!  I do believe it is stress related.  I always had them in college in class and had to run out to the bathroom and felt like I would die.  Then I started dressing in light clothes (in the winter) and taking a cold coke with me so I would be too cold for it to start (seemed to have something to do with getting hot and having mucus run down throat).  Well, more later.  I hve to run.  Your suggestions are good.  I think we all just have to find out what works for each of us.  I have been gasping for air lately and that is frightening.  BUt I think I would pass out before I die, so I will try not to worry about that!

PEace to all my Fellow Itchy Throat COugh Syndromers
Weirdly enough, the Xyzal has worked. I am no longer coughing. It's an expensive med and knocks you out at night (just one pill taken at night) but no allergy issues, and no cough. I was taking it with the Prevacid combo and recently stopped the prevacid and still no cough.. It has been over a month now! HOWEVER.... We have also moved. I SWEAR we had mold issues in the old house so part of me wonders if I was just highly sensitive to mold?  Anyone else have "potential or possible" mold issues? I would ask for Xyzal for a try at least to see if it helps you!  I did stop taking it for a week (because it makes you drowsy and I was on painkillers at night for tooth pain and didn't want to mix the two) and my cough showed up just for two days but very mild.. As soon as I started it up again, it went away.
I do have potential mold issues in my house, and the other time when it was really bad (in college), I lived in an old sorority house that may have had mold.  Also, I walked to class in college (breathing cold, dry air) and then entered warm classroom and coughing fit set in in a few minutes.  Lately, I have been walking to work, so same situation.  But at least now I am very mindful of it.  I need to have time to be still after I get here, drink some water, blow my nose (VERY IMPORTANT!) and relax.  In college, I rushed from class to class and couldn't take time to do these things, so I had embarassing cough attacks (and yes, sometimes I have gagged and even heaved a little).

My (ever-evolving) cough attack plan:

Have water with me
Blow nose frequently
Have tissues with me
Dress in layers (I always get very hot when attack comes on and I want to get my clothes off)
Take allergy medicine (just decided to try this)
Purchase inhaler and keep near me
Try relaxation exercise of slow breathing and pursing lips like blowing out candle
(recommended in someone's post) when tickle comes on
Know these attacks most likely when I am sick.
Know these attacks most likely after walking in cold to a warm building.

The mold issue is just a depressing one because not really sure how to deal with that issue.  We rent and I doubt my landlord will be very helpful.

Anyway, thanks to all for your thoughts.  May we all breathe easy!

This is an update of the test with the GI. Everything looked normal to him. He didn't see anything out of the ordinary. That's good news in one sense however it still doesn't answer the question about what's going on. So I guess I'm back to square one. Aside from that nothing is new.

That's it for now
Carlg
To Everyone:

Well in late December and the beginning of January I had a couple of weeks where I had only a few attacks but by mid-January the attacks came back. The only thing I could think of to do was go on an elimination diet to see if there was any one thing that was triggering these attacks. However my wife was watching TV and saw an interview with a doctor who is a leading specialist on acid reflux. This caught her eye since most of the doctors I've gone to seem to think that it's acid reflux that is causing my attacks. Prevacid or Prilosec were two of the medications that he recommended to treat acid reflux. When she told me this I thought “ Well that’s nothing new since I’ve been taking Prevacid for about a year and lately twice a day and it still hasn’t stopped the attacks. “
This doctor then explained the way Prevacid and Prilosec work.  Every 24 hours the stomach lining produces pumps that pump acid into the stomach to digest food. In some people like myself the stomach produces too many pumps. What Prevacid does is stops the stomach from producing so many pumps. Thus less acid. However one key thing he said was “ YOU NEED TO TAKE THIS AT LEAST 30 MIN. OR LONGER BEFORE YOU EAT.  Well all this time I’ve been taking it with the rest of my pills after I eat. On the bottles of Prevacid from the pharmacy it doesn’t tell you to take it on an empty stomach to give it a chance to shut off the pumps. So for the last two weeks I’ve been taking it 30 to 60min before a meal.  And guess what…..In the last two weeks I’ve hardly had any attacks, only minor ones and none while I’m sleeping. So this is something you may want to try if you take Prevacid or Prilosec since it’s not on the instructions (at least not with the national chain pharmacy I go to). Hope this helps. I’ll update you later on my progress.

Carlg
I've been coughing for about a year now, and it's getting worse. It starts with a tickle in the throat, then a dry cough, then a little mucus comes up, then runny nose and watery eyes, uncontrolled swallowing, and then it all stops. Until next time - awake or asleep. My Dr said to try Claritin, it might be allergies. I'm 49 female, never had allergies before. I take Lotrel for high blood pressure (have been for 9 years). I had whooping cough when I was a kid. I smoked until 8 years ago. The cough comes regardless of where I am, NY or FL, so I don't think it is related to where I live. Just had a physical and all seems OK. Dr said to come back if the Claritin does not help he'll put me on some other allergy meds, and maybe send me to ENT Dr - so back I go...
It's been 8 weeks since I started taking Prevacid an hour before eating. In that time I have not had ANY ATTACKS. I'm sleeping better and feeling like I have more energy.
Just thought I'd update everyone on how taking Prevacid the right way has made a difference. I'll update in a few more weeks.
Carlg
I can't believe so many people have this problem and no one knows what to do. I started having this problem in may of 2008 and I thought that it was going to be a quick fix. Almost a year later I am still having the same problem.

I have been to four different doctors and nobody can help me. First I was treated for a sinus infection with antibiotics and a nasal spray. I went back two weeks later and they said it was bronchitis and gave me a z pack. I went back and they gave me another z pack and it still didn't work.

I went to see another doctor who gave me breathing treatments and another nasal spray and that didn't work either. I went to see a lung specialist who gave me aciphex and that helped a little bit but I was still coughing.

This is really embarrasing but sometimes I cough so hard that I accidently pee on myself. I am too scared to go anywhere because I'm afraid I'll have an accident.

Now I'm at another doctor and I'm getting an allergy test but I don't know what that will turn up. I have never had any health problems my whole life and now I cough everyday just like is a normal part of my life. I hope somebody finds a remedy soon.

thanks,
nunu
I am not going to attempt to make any diagnosis, as I am not trained whatsoever to do so. And I do not want to scare anyone. These symptoms that have been mentioned, can be many different things I am sure. I though just want to say, that I can well relate to the tickle in the throat, the coughing, etc. I though have COPD. Been tested and confirmed by two doctors. The tickle in the throat can be maddening I know. I will feel it coming on and I know what lies ahead. I will drink liquids and take cough med, to try and stop the tickle. These things do not work for me. For me, I have to let the tickle just ease up on its own. While I am waiting for that to happen, I am coughing violently. Then, while coughing so hard, I of course will lose my breath. But, I do know and understand totally, what you all are saying about this tickle in the throat. I dread when I get this tickle. I also get much drainage in my throat. I will be fine and it will just appeart out of no where. I get this an awful lot as well. But, this all is due to my lung disease. I can clear my throat a hundred times and the mucus in my throat does not come up. I also just have to wait and let this pass as well. I was diagnosed many years ago with acid reflux. It showed up on an upper GI. I do not have trouble with the reflux like I once did. Mainly, due to learning what foods to avoid, sleeping with several pillows at night, etc. But, sometimes I have to take an acid reducer, when there is a flareup. The mucus in my throat is about a daily problem these days. And the tickle is becoming more frequent. Upon waking in the mornings, there feels like there is a cotton wad, down on in my chest as well. I will cough and cough for at least an hour upon waking.  Nothing ever much comes up though. I do take inhalers. Once the tickle passes and the mucus in throat passes, I will use my rescue inhaler. As struggling with these things, leaves me breathless and my chest tight and hurting. I have both chronic bronchitis and emphysema. I notice that even sometimes my rescue inhaler will take my breath away, when I take my puffs from it. But, eventually it does help some with my breathing. If tests are coming back good for you all, then that is a good sign. My COPD definitely showed up with a lung xray and a spirometry breathing test. But, I know this tickle, etc. is very real for you all just the same. I wish I had some further advice to give you all, but I do not. I just hope you all find the answers to this problem.
Well guess what. It came back again. Even though I've been taking all my meds the right way. I'm disappointed because of having had relief for almost 2 months.
I'll keep you informed.
Carlg
I listen to conspiracy radio at night...they claim lung problems are increasing at an alarming rate....I to have these problems with severe cough which then leeds to severe sneezing ...sometimes I'll sneeze for 15 minutes...inhaler helps...but the truth is that our govt. is spraying the skies over us called chem trails,and the products they spray are having an effect on us...look it up...fungus is part of the problem....cayenne pepper will help ...
i have the same problem as you all. it really *****. ive tried everything. lozenges, cough medicines, steroid inhalers, chloraseptics. the only thing that has come close to working is Hydrocodone. it helps stop the coughing. if taken with a decongestant cough medicine it helps get rid of mucus build up in the lungs. try it. it worked for me.
I have suffered with some sort of cough all my life (my G'ma thought I had TB ~ I don't). As I have gotten older it has changed. First, it only happened in cold weather months (from Oct - April). Then it just would come and go. The only thing that would relieve the cough was a steroid but it would come back every year. Lungs were always clear on x-rays & by the time I got into a specialist the cough would be gone.

This time is different.... went on vacation & came back w/a virus of some sort (saw Dr & just told me to take OTC meds). Have had a cough since June 20, '09. It just comes & goes when it chooses. Wet cough, incontinence, some times liquid vomiting or mucus ~ never the same. Have tried over the counter & nasal wash. Thinking will try a holistic view next.

Best of health to all!!!

DebD72
I have just been reading all of your comments, and I too am glad that I am not alone in this.  My husband is so angry with me over it because he thinks that I can just get it fixed, but you can't, I see by all of your attempts.  I have many problems and think that drugs are doing it to me.  Only thing is I have been taking anti rejection drugs for 8 years and all of a sudden I get this Tickle Cough.  I am so unhappy about it all, it comes and goes, it can stay away for a month sometimes then its back with a vengence.  I hope that someone can get a fix on it and post their results.

Jane
Ontario Canada
As many of you have said, it is such a relief to know that there are others out there with very similar problems to mine.  I have had a "chronic cough" for twelve years now.  I have been to various specialists and have taken all their advise and medicines that they have thrown at me, but nothing helps.  My problem seems to start with a tickle in my upper chest - just below my throat.  This brings on a coughing attack, sometimes mild, sometimes severe.  Once the coughing has stopped I am left having to clear my throat for anywhere between half an hour to an hour.  I must just add that, three years ago I coughed so badly that I herniated my stomach and had to have surgery.  They wanted to hold off doing the surgery until my cough had gone away.  I told them to look at my records and they would see that it never goes away.

I have high blood pressure but the doctor has changed my medication several times.  Didn't help.  I also take a beta blocker - that has also been changed several times.  No change.

I very rarely cough at night and hardly ever when I am outside, however, when I am in my recliner and my neck is at a certain angle, that can spark off an attack.

Let's hope someone, somewhere, can help us.

Thanks for listening/reading.

Pudding

Hi. I've honestly just become desprit for help. Im 17 years old and I am having these horrible attacks just like all of you. I will out of NO WHERE just start choking so horribly that I cant even breathe or speak and it gets so horrible that I puke. I could be sleeping and just be woken up feeling like Im about to DIE because the attack is sooooo horrible.Im so fed up. Ive talked to my GI doctor and he did an upper endoscopy and found NOTHING wrong of course. Then I had one of those swallow tests. Which came out pretty normal. Now they tell me theirs nothing else they can do. I just feel so hopeless. I really want to start college but Im so scared of having these attacks during class. I will be so embaressed. Ive already had a few in restraunts and everyone stares at you because they think your about to choke to death... and I feel like I am every time. Every time I have one of these I usually end them with a sneeze and then I get a horrible headache for a few hours. Im just so worried about everything. Im scared I wont be able to have a job. or I will have an attack while Im driving and get into an accident.Im so embaressed when it happens in public. I just want help so bad. I just want something that can help me. I went through a period for about the last two months and I honestly thought it was going away and it was getting a lot better but the past 3 days I have gotten it back. I have been choking horribly. Waking up out of my sleep and vomiting. If someone can message me or tell me SOMETHING I can do that would help it would be wonderful. I dont want to have to go though this for the rest of my life. good luck to everyone.
Continued ... I've now tried to Claritin - nothing. Tried Zyrtec - nothing. Then got a Nasonex presciption from Dr - nothing. Then had a week of Prednisone - it lessened the cough, but did not stop it.

Now I'm taking OTC Prilosec - one in the morning before eating/drinking anything - and it's helping! I've gone entire days now without coughing. So - my cough must have something to do with stomach/acids... Going to Dr in two weeks. We'll see how it goes...
I recently had severe headaches on the right side of my head and the glands in my throat were swollen--my body ached severely and my doctor diagnosed the Flu. gave me Depo shot in office and prescribed Tamiflu for 5 days.  This is my 9th day and not sure when tickle in throat started, but it is horrible.  I can't control it and by the time it sneaks up on me --there is nothing I can do but cough until my chest hurts,gag and sometimes a dreadful sneezing attack follows--maybe there is an allergen we are unaware of.  i take metformin. lisinopril, tiazac. going back to doc next week will adress this issue-- thought I was alone.  thanks everyone
My tickle and cough has taken a vacation for a few weeks it seems. I've been trying to eliminate certain foods from my diet and it seems to be helping in additions to all the pills I take. Some of the things I've found that seem to set it off are certain chocolates, not all just some. Mint seems to set it off. Some vinegar also do it. I may have a food allergy to some foods but I don’t think that is the real problem. I’m waiting for the next round of attacks. However for now I’ll just enjoy the brief reprieve.
Thanks for being there and listening to me.
Carlg
I am shocked to see this is so common.  I am currently suffering from an upper respiratory virus that is making me cough and caused me to search the internet for some remedy.  In the last several years I have had an increasing issue with this type of coughing even when I'm not sick.  If I lay on my left side in bed at night it triggers a tickle and subsequent cough.  If I eat certain rough foods like popcorn, nuts, cocount or bread that has lots of grains or seeds it easily irritates my throat and can trigger a coughing attack, even though I am not allergic to those foods.  Sometimes it's nothing more than my throat feeling dry and getting a "catch" in my throat.  I have also experienced a tickle being triggered by using a q-tip in my ear.  Unlike many of you I have not been to doctors.  I just assumed it was nasal drip that was making my throat extremely sensitive.  When I do get a coughing attack it is just like many have described....violent, eyes water, nose runs, can't hold my bladder, get extremely overheated and red in the face.  In the extreme I gag and almost vomit and cannot stop the gag reflex.  Like others I am very interested if anyone can find an answer to what we are suffering.  I saw another poster mention contacting Oprah and thought of the recent advertisement for the new Doctor Oz show that is premiering in mid- Sept.  I visited the website and sent an e-mail with a link to these postings and a suggestion they do a show on this topic.  If others would send in a similar suggestions maybe we could shed some light on this issue and see if there is any relief to be had.  Here is the link to the Dr Oz website, contact page:  http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Respiratory-Disorders/Tickle-in-throat-makes-me-cough-and-choke/show/284228?forums=forums

Thanks all for sharing their stories and letting us all know we are not the only ones experiencing this.
Tracey
I've been suffering for 3 years with this and have some real ideas, which have worked for me.  One of the keys is to keep track of local pollen and mold counts (inidoors and outdoors, and to keep indoor humidity below 40%). My coughing will start once the blooming, mold and humidity rise.

For me it feels like my throat is closing as well.

I went to 3 allergists, 2 ENTs and 1 pulmonologist. I went through speech and voice therapy for paradoxical vocal fold motion.  I really did need to relax, and the stress of coughing accumulates in the upper neck and back.

The pulmon. was most helpful saying nothing should irritate the esophogus due to hyperreactive airways (upper) ... Tussionex, "nuclear doses of medrol/prednisone", reflux meds, prilosec, anitibiotics if cold, and dry the upper respiratory up so no mucus drips. She also said coughing begets more coughing and once the cycle is set up hard to change.  Dr. Karen Lahive - Faulkner Hospital, Boston, MA My alt. med doc, said MOLD toxicity and allergy. Also tested me for mycoplasma pneum. I tested positive. They are now (at year 2) doing the DNA PCR for mycoplasm... plus lyme (positive bands), etc...
Look up Biofilm as well.  
Book reference: mold warriors by Dr. Schumaker.  www.biotoxins.info. and referrals to docs in your area if you want to follow up.

Now, an allegist debunked the mold theory saying we evolved from caves and moldy places, but he missed the point.  Black mold exposure etc.. can have long term ramifications, and must be actively detoxed from body (exercise, sauna, and cholestramine).  

I noticed undetectable post nasal drip in my throat that caused the coughing as well, and used the NELIMED sinus rinser dutifully 2x daily. (Dr. Alex Binginham, Visions Medical)   Another ENT said Mucinex 1200mg daily, along with everything else.  The Mucinex, (Dr. Nicholas Busaba Mass Eye and Ear) and the Nelimed, is great together. I used  some herbal knowledge and experimented with various concoctions of solutions in the Nelimed sinus rinse bottle, including:  1 drop of collodial silver and 1 drop of either hydrogen peroxide or grapefruit seed extract in the nasal rinse (as not sure I needed to treat fungus in the nos e(candida), bacterial infection (collodial silver), etc...  This was very effective. Totally resolved the issue!   It also made me realize how much mucus was really up there...

HISTAMINE DROPS worked wonders as well (see an serial endpoint titration specialist) , in stopping attacks cold.
First generation antihistamines (benadryl and chlorphentamine) are the only ones that have an effect on me (which is in the Tussionex, which is sometimes the only way I can sleep when the coughing is really intense.)

Smaller meals, digestive enzymes, apple cider vinegar, liver cleansing herbs, and DGL.  Also helped.  

Here's my theory.  Its acutally 3-4 separate things, creating hell on earth.

1. allergies, mold, pollen, dampness, ACs and fans,  etc... (follow anti candida diet, and gluten free - grains have high levels of mycotoxins). CAUSE post nasal drip and throat itching  and coughing.  Coughing begets more coughing...
2.  MASSIVE coughing spells, create a form of reflux,(not discussed much but common with singers and athletes)...  negative pressure in esophagus, literally ***** up the stomach acid to our esophagus creating more irritation and continued/more severe coughing.

3.  Ongoing dripping and allergens creates mino or majorr upper respiratory issue, resulting in need for 1200mg mucinex, nelimed nasal rinse, antibiotics, and tussionex.  

Once this pattern of causation is understood, the realization of allergy + digestion + nose becomes clearer.

I hope this helps... its the result of 4 years of suffering and spending tons of money on meds and mds!

Like others,
I am a 36 year old woman, do not take any regular medications and have suffered from this horrible cough for years, as has my mom.  For me it happens when I am getting over a cold, for a few days or up to a  week.   Always happens in the daytime, of course usually when I am at work-maybe stress can trigger an episode?  It starts out with a sudden tickling in my throat, then the gagging cough starts along with nose running, eyes watering, and sometimes it gets so bad I gasp for breath and double over, retching.  Have only actually vomited once during one of these episodes.  

Its just awful when this happens especially in public and at work.  I used to work retail, usually could escape back into a stockroom when this happened.  But now I work in a doctors office at the front desk, so I must immediately run to the lunchroom or wherever, its so embarrassing, everyone can hear me and think I am dying and why is she at work with that horrible cough!  I have missed 2 days of work already from this cold and I just dread going back to work tomorrow because I think this will probably happen again.  

I read on another website that someone had some success with sipping a small amount of vicks 44D cough syrup, someone else mentioned sipping hot water, both of which i plan to keep on hand tomorrow.  Good luck to all of us in trying to prevent these awful episodes.
My tickle has come back. I caught a cold and after the cold was over with, the tickle came back. So I'm back to only getting so many hours sleep a night.
Carlg
What a relief it is to find all of you. I have had your symptoms since the fall of 2001. I had minor surgery and have coughed, sometimes violently, every day since. I have seen doctors, specialists, had every test on the books and run the gamut of prescription and OTC meds. No relief. It is so hard to imagine that so many suffer from this and so little is learned about it. I have tagged you to my favorites. I'll be checking in to see how you are doing. After 8 years, I am out of new ideas to try.
I started gasping for air from a deep sleep about 4 years ago.  That would lead me to cough in a fit until I wretched and gasped for a couple of minutes sometimes more.  I saw a few docs and an ENT diagnosed me with vocal chord dysfunction - sent me to speech therapist and gave me breathing exercises as mentioned in previous posts.

Also put me on prilosec saying it was caused by reflux.  That didn't help.  Seasonal allergies also started about 4 years ago.  I take allegra or zyrtec for that in springtime.  Went to Allergist and they did the arm ***** test and turns out I'm allergic to trees, grasses, dust mites and mold.

I first noticed this "tickle" everyone talks about when I was waitressing and I'd come up on a table with someone wearing purfume.  It would throw me into a coughing fit - runny nose, eyes, red face, gasping for air for about 10 minutes.  Try waiting on tables when that happens...not good.

Now it happens randomly - seems random anyway.  Can be during the day, during night, when I'm eating, when I'm just sitting here.  I don't know what sets it off!  

Today I have a cold with stuffed nose and cough so I expect a cough - but I had two fits.  One at work that sent me catching vomit in my scarf as I made it to the bathroom and coughed and gasped until it calmed down.  The second was while in line at the grocery store the check out lady almost called an ambulance for me it was awful.

These come and go...day and night....doctors have scoped my throat and don't see anything.  I've had blood work done for thyroid and seen speech therapists.

Sorry to hear so many are suffering.  If you don't experience this you don't know how truly debilitating it is to hold a normal life without people looking at you like you're crazy or in need of an ambulance.

Thanks to everyone for posting....keep posting and take care.
funny - they starred out the word I used after arm....I guess I should have said 'stick' not the word that rhymes with it when you poke something with a needle. dumb.
Wow. its amazing to find so many others suffring from this! And i do mean suffering. Mine started about 7 years ago after I worked customer service in a manufacturing facility. Cought back to back episodes of bronchitis and walking pneumonia for about a year. I think I coughed for 6 months straight - everything hurt and nothing helped. Had lung x-rays, was checked for everything, did the strees test, upper GI, dye test - nothing. But every since then whenever I get a cold or sinus type symptom, I start freaking out because I know what's coming. Regular coughing I can handle but that TICKLE drives me insane! I've got to the point where even walking into my bedroom causes me stress. After the first couple of weeks, the daytime cough gets better but the nighttime coughs rachets up. I haven't had a decent nights sleep in 3 weeks now. I have no other symptoms but not sleeping and the constant worry about the next bout - the noise, embarassment, inccontinance, pain, etc - have left me once again just plain exhausted. My docs don't seem all that concerned either. Now I'm on an inhaler and some crappy cough syrup. Did I mention that I'm allergic to codeine so I can't even try the good cough syrup? sigh.

After reading everybody, I'm going to check out some OTC antihistamines, try both the cold and hot drinks and see what happens. I too have fallen asleep with a cough drop logged in my throat.

I wish us all well and hopefully someone stumbles upon something that will stop that infernal tickle.
I've read the many many posts on this site about the tickle, cough, choke situation.  Personally I've only had this happen to me about 6-8 times in the past 10 years, and it's always been associated with a sinus infection or severe cold.  The tickle definitely pricks in such a way that it sends you almost into coughing convulsions - and for me that means wetting my pants no matter how hard I cross my legs - super embarrasing when in public.

I actually just calmed down after such a coughing spell and it literally took 35 minutes, which is why I searched out these topic threads.

When I feel that certain ***** in the throat, I know to get myself to a place where I can hack it out privately if possible.  I need to get a glass of water immediately and I start small sips, with a little gargling if I can.  The coughing, however can come on so strong that I can't breathe - it's scary, but once I get a break, I try to blow my nose immediately - even if nothing comes out.  Usually the nasal drip is what's causing the tickle, so if I start making the mucus go out instead of down, sometimes it can help relieve the attack quicker.

Then I try to relax my breathing pattern even though it usually feels like my ribs are constricting.  If I'm having a hard time relaxing - because sometimes my throat will start tickling more when I inhale - I will sit and slowly place my head between my knees for a minute or two and breathe through my mouth, like when you are feeling like you'll pass out.  For me this helps.

I will also try to take a Benydryl Allergy-Cold tablet or use a nasal allergy spray as soon as an attack hits.  Within 15 minutes I usually feel a bit better and my nose will at least dry up.

The key for me is getting the cough to calm, and my throat to relax as soon as possible.  The coughing spasm does tend to cause acid reflex with me, which irritates my throat even MORE, and it can be harder to quell the spasm.  So if an attack happens after a meal, I can expect at least a 30 minute spell.

Sometimes I find it useful to suck on Anise drops, a hard candy with clove in it, which can help temporarily.

At night I have to take OTC allergy meds with a Muscinex tablet, and that combo seems to help overnight coughing, but in the morning I'll wake with a hacking cough attack until thick mucus is expelled, or I throw up.  I will gargle with warm salt water until this subsides each morning.  And anytime I have mucus come up either through a cough or throat clearning I expell the mucus, as swallowing it only seems to reinforce the coughing fit.  I know that sounds so gross.

Usually once my cold or sinus condition is clear, the coughing episodes will subside, but this current spell has come on 3 or 4 times a day now and has lasted nearly a month so I'm considering seeing a Dr.

Thanks for all the posts on this with possible causes and cures.  It's been helpful.

Nothing new on my end, Still tickle in throat,sharp pain,eyes water,nose runs, start coughing. At least I'm not feeling like i have to throw up as much. I'm starting to only have one attack when I sleep. No new Idea's.
I too have been getting this.  It scares the living daylights out of me.

It usually occurs when I'm sick and have a runny nose.  I don't have to have a sore throat.  I'll cough until my throat locks up and I just can't breathe.  I've learned to notice when it starts, I'll just force myself to stop coughing and breathe slowly.  

But on more then one occasion, I've woken up in the middle of the night and my throat has totally closed up leaving me in a panic.  At one point, I tried to ram my fist down my throat to "open it up".  

Another time, I ran out to the hallway and banged on the walls frantically.  My brother came up and saw me freaking out and called 911.  It went away by itself, but still.

I'm going to go to my doctor soon and have this checked up.  What if one day my throat won't "open up"?  That's a scary thought.

Take care all.
TO CLEAR SINUSES & SPUTUM STUCK IN THE THROAT:

1. Try the spiciest chicken soup on the plant ! (from a restaurant called PF Changs. If you don't have one locally, try adding red pepper flakes to your chx soup recipe)

2. Chkout this article "Avoiding Phlegm in Your Throat":

http://www.idratherbewriting.com/2010/03/12/6-avoiding-phlegm-in-your-throat-with-voiceovers-developing-a-personal-voice-in-audio-series/
They say that misery loves company so I can now join your community of throat tickle and cough sufferers. I picked mine up (I'm pretty sure of this) on an airplane returning from Mexico three years ago - January 2007. I sat next to lady with a heavy cold. It always happens to me. It started with a heavy cough and cold and after that subsided I was left with the base of throat irritation, coughing, clearing my throat usually 3-6 times per minute. It seems to get worse when I get semi-horizontal so I really believe that it has something to do with nasal drip. Also, I live in Denver where the air is always dry. I think the symptoms improve in more humid climates but they do not entirely go away. I have had chest X-rays (nothing problematical noted), been tested for allergies (not allergic to anything except slightly for histamines), used Prilosec (no effect whatsoever), tried nasal sprays like Astepro and Neilmed super saline (the latter is a good idea whether it works directly or not) and Mucinex. Sounds like my symptoms are nowhere near as bad as some of you out there and I can only offer my sympathies. I do not get the urge to vomit and although I have always had blocked sinuses I am relieved to report that my throat does not close up! However it does keep me awake at night before going to sleep and if I wake up during the night so I feel constantly tired and a little depressed because of that. However, once I am asleep I can sleep soundly with no coughing. I am at the stage of feeling guilty that I keep my wife awake with my constant coughing and throat clearing. She goes to bed before I do and is a very light sleeper and I like to read before going to sleep so that the half hour period of reading is a noisy affair. I also have occasional heartburn so I cannot count out acid reflux as a possible cause.
Having read all your posts I think there is some kind of epidemic going round. I wonder if food additives could have anything to do with it? Maybe the pervasive use of high fructose corn syrup in processed foods? Maybe that's too much like conspiracy theory. The good new is that this nasty little affliction does NOT SEEM TO BE LIFE THREATENING. I have had the same thoughts as some of you regarding the dreaded C word etc but I have concluded that it is nothing so serious.
No answers here but it's good to add a little to the database. I wish you all speedy solutions to your nasal ills!
I am 75yrs old so never fear folks it's not going to kill you ,despite "thoughts that it's the only way to get away from IT" Stress or pressure play a major role.Log your times & situations of episodes & you might find the main stressors. I cannot offer any brilliant solutions as we all have these similar episodes, minor or major, at various times.I personally hate the late night ones. I was rushed to hospital last night for the fourth time in 2yrs  on the worst night of the week for casualties.Makes you feel like a fraud when you see the rhesus teams fighting to save accident casualties and drug o/doses. Of course age is against me & cigarettes. Each time I have quit smoking,I have had a spontaneous pneumo-thorax and believe me they are "panic" situations. We each have found our own way of handling these episodes whether mild or serious ones.DON"T PANIC, it will pass once you control how you breathe. Myself I just have a hospital inhaler mask,no tubes and control my breathing with that when I feel the panic setting inChemists stock these.I also cup my hands over mouth & nose.Serves the same purpose. I can panic at the "thought" of going out at times.Change of  temps inside/outside also affect me.You will each find your  own ways of coping but,they are  not going to kill you. Hard if your at work BUT the toilet visits are available. Watch your thoughts carefully. Remember you are what you think.
                              Good luck to you all.
                                    ZedRob.OZ

I'm 29, female, non-smoker, and I don't take any drugs except for an occasional Advil for bad headaches.  I've had allergies for awhile but have just learned to deal with it.  I recently moved away from a beachy area to a more rural area and suspect that may have caused it..but am not sure.  I got a very weak cold last week and since then have had the same affliction of a weird sting/irritation in the throat, then crazy coughing, eyes water, gasping for air, spitting out a bunch of saliva..but very little mucus.  In my life, I have never had coughing as bad as this.  It does seem to happen more at night and has woken me up several times.  Right now I also have a bad dry hacking cough..that I'm not sure is a part of it or not.  Like everyone else, it drives me nuts!  Although it isn't deadly, like previous posters have noted, I think some of us would rather die than have to live with this the rest of our lives..or maybe we'll adapt..  I don't normally post, but would like to add my voice to this fellowship of coughers.  Hopefully, in time, someone will come up with the right solution and share it with us.  

Right now, I suspect it is related to allergies and not gastric issues..I have never had gastric issues and think that it is more a side effect of this cough than the cause.  Allergies, post nasal drip..I think it has to do with something there..going to follow someone's advice and start making journal entries everytime this happens.  Thanks all for your stories, theories! Hoping to see more until we figure this darn thing out!
For those who think that this is a result of their post nasal drip, have you tried cayenne pepper snorting? I kid you not..google it.  It makes you sneeze and break up the mucus/congestion in your sinuses which could possible help to prevent post nasal dripping?  I think I'm going to give it a try...will update.
Also, just as an update, I took a Maximum Strength Mucinex and I think it's helped with my post nasal drip, thus helping with the "itch".  Since I've taken it 5 hours ago, I have not had an episode of the terrible coughing..I just have normal coughing from a cold I'm suffering from.

When you have phlegm, do you spit it out instead of swallowing?  This might be a silly question to some but I know people who just swallow it.  Remember to spit it out! Mucus is a form of your body's defenses and it is trying to get something bad out of your body.
I found these web sites  google The mystery chronic cough it describes most of the symptoms I have along with most of you it is called IRRITABLE LARYNX SYNDROME  it allways starts during or after a upper respiratory infection and or laryngitis and perfectly describes what happens to us.
After that and I also found another even better site that was even more helpful finally a name for this  
Google The voice and swallowing center of Maine at the Waldo County General Hospital and it has a video discribing the condition please check it out it is a ray of hope for all of us
Its been a while and sorry for lavk of updates. But when we moved in late aug of 08 it started to go away.  I was also on the new allergy med xyzal so i thought this is what helped. After stopping the xyzal the cough/tickle stayed away. It came back briefly(3 months) after bronchitis in spring allergy time in 09. And us back again now during allergy season.

My best guess is that living with the mold in my old house is what started it. Once out of that environment and it got out of my system i was ok again. It apparently only triggers now either after a bout of bronchitis or during allergy season.

Im currenly using claritin 12 hour and one tablspn of nyquil for relief. I can take just the 1 tablspn and not get drowsy from it so i take that 2-3 times during the day. I still cough but it is relieved thus way. I still use cold pop and mints to ward things off.  

It would be nice to rid our bodies of this for good.  

Sorry carlg that you are still here struggling.  Its been a long ride.
Like most you for the past few weeks especially, I’ve been having attacks like crazy because of the pollen in the air. Just when you think your getting better it seems to come back with a vengeance. After a few good days of rain now my throat seems to be calming down. As far as it being  IRRITABLE LARYNX SYNDROME  my ENT couldn’t find any signs that this was my problem, however I’m sure this information will help many of us who have this problem. I’m going to go back on an elimination diet to see if there is any other things that are triggering these attacks. I hope some of else are able to get over this. That’s all that’s new on my end. Have a good day.
Carlg
I, like almost everyone here has read through these comments and seen themselves. I also am  under the care of a GI doc, ENT,and  Pulmonologist.
The GI doc said I have reflux, the ENT said I have allergies and the Pulmonologist says I have COPD. I do not have sinus pressure, itchy eyes or other allergy symptoms. I hardly ever have heartburn. No post nasal drip. I am a 48 year old healthy male who rides a road bicycle about 100 miles a week. I do not have wheezing and I know people with emphysema could not ride like I do. I have taken protonix, advair, antihistamines, sleep with bed raised, nasal steroids, even had my esophagus stretched. Still I have this cough we we are all talking about. After coughing till passing out three times my wife found this website for me and what a relief to know I am not crazy. I checked out the website http://fauquierent.net/cough.htm that was given here earlier and I saw myself. I checked out all the references and printed them out. When I went to my ENT again with the coughing still the same I showed it to him in hopes that he would let me try amitriptyline. He was very sympathetic as he has always been and wrote me a script. I have only been on it for two days and don't know if it is helping yet but I will let everyone know later how it is going for me. The main reason I am writing is to let everyone know of a Dr. that he might refer me to in Chicago. I looked him up on the internet and he has a great website explaining what is going on to us. The website is http://www.bastianvoice.com/video_coughing1.htm   you have to watch the videos of him explaining this cough. I hope to write back in a couple of weeks that I am doing better but I just had to give some hope to all of you out there like me.
Good Luck everyone,
Marc
To: mpaap- Mark

I only look at this sight every so often. But I'm glad I looked at it today and seen your comment. I checked out the video of Dr.Bastian that you refer us to, and he hits it dead on as to what we are experiencing. I watched both parts of his discussion and feel that this will help my doctors in treating me. (at least I hope it will)
Sorry that your part of our club but thank you for sharing this information with everyone.

Carlg

I too have a dry tickly cough especially when talking. even worse on the phone. I'm lucky in that I don't have the problem when I'm lying down, so can sleep at night. My doctor just prescribed a cough syrup 200 Cotridin Ratio with Codeine and it has helped already. May not help all of you, but certainly worth a try.
Hi everyone,

As with most people who have written here I had various combinations of pretty much all of the symptoms described above for about 12 months (coughing until sick, lack of sleep, multi-coloured mucus, etc) up until about 2 months ago and it turned out to be acid reflux - i know it sounds un-related to throat / cough but I've been basically taking gaviscon (heartburn / indegestion prevention) 3-4 times a day and been prescribed omeprazole, and it completely cleared up after about 2 weeks.

If I stop taking it symptoms return pretty quickly (tried it just to check), so it might be worth giving that a try for a couple of weeks - saved me from being incredibly frustrated, tired etc.

It took about a week before my throat cleared up at all, so be patient with it, and obviously this might not be what everyone has - I'm an engineer, not a doctor, so my advice is only based on my experience...

But hopefully this might be of some use to people, as I was incredibly frustrated with it.

Hope it helps, Wil
Hello All,
I've been reading your posts from time to time.  I too suffer from the same problem but only when i'm sick with a cold or flu.  However, I think I may have found a solution.  Last weak I came down with a cold and the occasional cough attack.  I even had the embarrasing restaurant cough attack sceen play out Saturday night.  I'm just glad no one called the paramedics.  
Anyways, last night i was just getting over one of those cough attacks attempting to do the breathing excercise I read about here but it didnt help as much, when I realized I had a tickle in my ear.  I felt as though fluid was draining inside my ear and I was afraid to get that dry spot again so I drank water and tried everything to coat my throat.  But then there it was again and for whatever reason I covered my ears with my fingers as I was coughing and little by little the dry spot went away.  As you can imagine I was afraid to uncover my ears for fear of getting that dry spot again.  So I decided I'd get a cotton ball and put a piece of cotton in each ear to plug my ears (and OMG) it worked!  I slept all night without coughing.  
This morning I was a little soar from last night's cough attack but I still havent had that dry spot in my throat yet.  I'm still wearing plugs in my ears right now (at work) and I can almost feel that dry spot in my throat coming on but it resides and I dont get the full on experience.  This feels great!
I made an appointment to see my doctor tomorrow morning so that I can get my ears checked.  I think the "dry spot" in my throat is caused by the draining in my ears.  I hope this information is helpfull and alleviates your cough, at least a little.  

Please let me know if this works for you as well.  

Take care,
mstowers
ive recently gotten this dry cough about 1 month ago. it is thee most annoying thing ever! i cant sleep, and just  last night i had about 3 cough attacks, once throwing up. ive tried this cough remedy my mom has, its made of radish's , honey, and lemon juice. its gross at first but she claims it helps. other than that, i was given and inhaler and nose spray. the doctor told me it was a sinus infection, but so far i havent gotten better.

this has happened to me before about 2 years ago , then it lasted about 5 months. i had phlegm and all that junk. unfortunately i dont remember how it went away. but im really scared i might have a disorder like many of you.
i dont know what to do anymore.

oh by the way, i think i know why this starts. i always always always chew on ice and i have a feeling that they somehow relate then my throat starts getting itchy and i usually stop eating ice. but this time all i would do at work was eat ice even if my throat was itchy so it developed into this.
I have had that choking, Tickly, cough gasping symptoms for 4 months. eyes start watering and sometimes nose I thought it was allergies but after doing some research im really leaning towards LPR which is a subset of GERD. also a cough lozenge seems to help stop the attack. I do have it when trying to sleep or during sleep. dry tickly at first, then more productive and an audible click can be heard when i swallow after the attack. In my opinion with all my research i think it is reflux related.
LPR (laryngeopharngeal
reflux), a distinct subset of GERD.
LOOK THIS UP, YOU WILL SEE THE SYMPTOMS
OMG I just cannot believe what I am reading!  I live in South Africa and have the same symptons as you all for well on 20b years.  I too have seen endless ENT specialist to no avail.  
I thought I was the only one out there with thsi problem ~ feel so much better now.  Coughers Unite and lets find a cure!  
I have tried every possible medication on the market with no help.  I am currently sipping on hot lemon tea and honey as I type!
Surely there is someone somewhere who is prepared to do some medical research on this as it seems to be a common problem!  
I am convinced it is seasonal and environment when it is chronic but do live with it throughout the year!
Hi, I smoked many years ago and gave up 29 years ago.  This cough started about 20 years ago so I do not think it has ANYTHING to do with smoking!  I shudder to think what a cigarette would do to my throat now when a tiny morsel of a crumb brings on an attack!
There just has to be an answer out there, surely!

I have spent hours reading all the posts in advance of a doc. visit tomorrow. I am so grateful to have found this discussion group as I have been baffled and frankly scared of these coughing episodes. I have had all the usual tests- xrays, allergy tests, LPR or GERD, swallow test, etc.- all negative. The descriptions on the websites below so exactly describe my symtoms (symptoms) I'm relieved these docs are taking this seriously. It is described as injured or overly sensitive nerves of the throat or larynx and treat it with low doses of one or a combo of the following: (elavil), nortriptyline (pamelor, aventyl), tramadol (Ultram), desipramine, pregabalin (lyrica), or gabapentin (neurontin). Not the drugs I would expect, but they describe this as a neurologic condition completely different than a normal respiratory cough.  See the links below. Has anyone bee treated with any of these meds. and what was the result?
http://fauquierent.net/cough.htm
http://www.bastianvoice.com/video_coughing1.htm
I have also been plaqued with this problem. Back in June of 2010 my wife and I took a vacation to Maui for a week. About a day before we left to come home I began to get an ear infection. This continued on for about two weeks after we came back home going from an ear infection to chest infection, to the throat to my sinuses and even back to my other ear before everything cleared up with 2 visits to urgency care. However, one thing did not go away and that was this aggrevating cough that has been persistant for the past three month now. I went back to my doctor three days ago and he took a chest xray and said my lungs were clear and said he thought it was probably post nasal drip due to sinusitus from back when I was ill . So he has put me on Amoxicillin 500 mg for the next two weeks. Been taking them now for three days and no change at all. All though the cough is persistant all day it seems to get worse in the afternoon or evening. However its weird because once I fall asleep I sleep great all night and never get woke up from coughing. I also get out and walk everyday from 4 to 5 miles everyday and most of the time I do not cough while walking. Its only after I get home and sit down and relax that the coughing starts in. Its a dry cough or just and tickle in the back lower part of my throat. I also still have my tonsiles and believe that a lot of this is due to my tonsiles in some way or another but also feel that a lot of this is phycological in nature meaning I think I am going to start coughing and in a few minutes the urge is there to cough. Since I don't cough when I am asllep I have to conclude its all in my head. It could be a way of dealing with stress also. I am thinking of seeing a hypnotist and see if they can help if it doesn't stop soon. Does anyone else think it is due to stress or phycological in nature. Would love to hear what you think.
See my first post 9/26/10 and check out the links below regarding the diagnosis and treatment opinions of two doctors describing this as the result of a damaged nerve(s) in the larynx or throat.
http://fauquierent.net/cough.htm
I saw my GP the day after finding all this information and he prescribed one of the recommended drugs, Elavil. I would never have thought that would have been a treatment but the idea is to calm the nerves. I have had almost immediate relief! On the forth day now, and the cough has changed from a constant violent cough with no purpose to a normal, moving congestion, a few times a day cough. I am making an apt. to see Dr. Chang at Fauquier, VA ENT ( I'm lucky he's only 2 hours away) but for now I am greatly relieved that this is the answer! Thank you God for leading me to this info! No more tickle in the throat. BTY- my GP completely blew this off, again, looking at me like I had two heads!
I read the last message posted where you found the link to the bastian
voice inst and I went to the website and watched the two videos the covered the coughing problem and I have to tell you it described me perfectly to a Tee.  I just went to my doctor today about this problem that has been going on since mid July now following a viral infection and I have been taking Amoxicillian 500mg for the past couple weeks with no results, have flushed out my sinuses a number times already, had chest x-rays done, ect and nothing has helped. Today he told me he things its just a bug that has to run its course and to check back in 2 months. I think he has no clue what it is or what to do about it. This video I watched describes everything perfectly as though I had wrote the script myself. I totaly believe this is the problem and I plan to sit up another appointment tommmorow with him and see if I can get him to review these two videos and subscribe one of the medication recommended. Thanks again for sharing this. Everyone who reads this should read the posting just above this one and follow the links. I think you will be amazingly surprised at what you see. I plan to let my doctor know of this finding ASAP. Thanks again
Hi everyone,

I've decided to post here because I also have this tickling in throat and an immediate unstoppable coughing fit - usually lasts around 30 second intervals...it gets worse at night and usually happens once a year when im recovering from a cold/flu...

The thing that made the cough go away for me was an asthma inhaler/puffer...it is called "Tilade"...

Although my symptoms are the same, it is somewhat different in that I only get the coughing fits after I am recovering from cold/flu and once the cold/flu symptoms disappear the coughing fits starts...the coughing fits last for around a week...it happened for over 5 years now. but once my doctor prescribed the asthma inhaler it doesnt cause that much problems anymore.

good luck everyone
After having gone a few months without any attacks, it's come back again. I guess it wanted to take the summer off. So here I am at 3:00AM just having got over an attack. I'm hoping it doesn't get as bad as it did in May. However it's nice to see there is so much support out there. People still think I'm crazy or just putting on an act. What can you do......just live with it. I think I'll ask my doctor about some of the medication that Dr.Bastian suggested. I just hate to go on meds for depression. Don't mind me I'm just rambling on since I can't get to sleep.
Thanks for listening
Carlg
I have not bothered to go to my new Dr. with this as I have been to 3 ENT's in the past 20 yrs and it is just a tiresome story to keep having to tel over and over. I am just afraid he is going to send me home with yet another nasal spray etc.
At the mo it is not chronic ~ it gets worse at certain times of the year.  The coughing spasms are not as long and are not as often.  The strange thing now which is happening and which just causes my hubby to fall about laughing is that I am getting these little 'atchoos' while I am coughing ~ what that is all about, who knows?
I have watched the Dr. B but as I live in South Africa, I don't think the medication would be the same!  If I had the money I would be flying to his clinic!
Keeping in touch
Moira
How many of you drink coke regularly?

How many of you drink tea regularly?

Also, how many of you have cat litter trays?

Stop drinking the staining drinks, especially soft drinks which you drink when your throat is most dry. If your going to drink tea don't drink it hot, as in drinking it the moment it's only just cool enough to stop you going ouch. It will cook your throat. Stains will happen even if you can't see it. As new skin grows and your body trys to clean up, you'll get sudden strong itches because the process has happened right on a nerve, possibly  the nerve ending itself is addicted to caffiene or tender from cooking it with hot water.

Cats do their business at night often, while your sleeping. Those who get the itcht in the middle of the night and not really while laying going to sleep. May find they are sensitive to what is generally not supposed to be shared in the living space of people. Cat nasties!

Someone who could tell more is Ryan Bayne in Scotland, Fife. I think he works for WebTechGlobal if you want to reach him. That is who wrote a blog entry on this with great evidence but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks for that info.

I am not a big coke drinker ~ never have been!

I don't have cats!

I do have about 3 cups of tea and 1 cup of coffee a day and enjoy them hot ~ cannot bear lukewarm tea.

So it looks like I must do an excercise to see if I leave out tea and coffee this constant itch and cough go will go away!

As mentioned in one of my previous postings, I do believe that Dr. Bastian has the answer but can't get to the States to see him!  Am trying to find a local medication equivelant to what he suggests!

Thanks all for this fantastic support forum!

MM

I'm a 72 year old grandmother with a chronic tickle in my throat and coughing every day....sometimes many times in a day.  I have tried to no avail to find a cough drop, syrup or anything that will stop the coughing and tickling.  I do not know when it started for sure.  It's been bothering me for several years (4-5 years) at least.  I am a non-smoker, non-drinker and only drink 2 cups of coffee early in the morning.  I do drink iced tea every day and if I drink a soda, it's 7-up.  One doctor I asked to treat the symptoms prescribed a nasal drip spray which only worked for a few days.  The tickle came back.  Sometimes it feels like little barbs are playing around my throat.  Of course coughing does not stop the tickle.  I don't cough up any phlegm or anything else and my lungs do not sound conjested.  Anybody got any ideas?
I am a 60 year old male that doesn't smoke or drink.Have had this problem for several years.
Sometime fried foods cause me to not be able to breath.At times food gets hung in my throat & I have to walk around until I throw up.That hasn't happened in a long time.Now I just cough a lot,which is very aggravating.I have found that menthol chewing gum helps a lot.  
I have posted here somewhere but it was under another thread. I have had the cough for about 2 1/2 years now. It found I had a paralyzed vocal cord back in 2001. I had surgery in 2004 to put an implant in against the cord to keep it centred so that the other vocal cord only had to close to the centre as normal,( it had paralyed to the side meaning there was always an opening). All was OK til 2 1/2 years ago when I got THE cough. Same as you all describe. I have seen a cardiologist, a Respiratory Physician and a Ear Nose and Throat Specialist. I have had blood tests, chest Xrays, head xray, Lung Function Test, 2 MRI's, 2 Brochioscopies, a Laryngoscopy, a Barium Swallow test. I have been on Prednisone, asthma puffers, reflux meds, antibiotics, nasal sprays, and a few other things. All to no avail except for the Prednisone which helped trememdously but not good as a permanent solution.  
Usually i have a cough that feels like a piece of dry toast is scratching the inside of my throat and I can't clear it. Sometimes I can't catch my breath and I have to get calm and breath slowly through my nose to get air . I caught a respiratory track infection beginning of january and since then I've had more of a mucus type cough and i feel like someone is pressing on my chest between the lungs and that makes me cough.  This ia worse if I drink alcohol.
I tend to think the links mentioned above(bastion institute and paradoxical vocal cord dysfunction)  seems to be the right reasoning as to why we all cough.  I think I am going to go back to the doctor yet again and see if I can get on some of the meds mentioned for neuralgia.
Meanwhile if anyone finds anything helpful, please keep us all posted.
I, too, have suffered with "the cough" for the past two years with many of the same symptoms described by others.  I noted, however, that many of you describe being unable to sleep because of the coughing.  I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine at night and that is the only time I'm not coughing.  I often have the tickle when I first start the CPAP but it subsides quickly and I don't cough again until I stop it in the morning.  Anybody else have that experience?
One comment here a couple of years ago mentioned CHEMTRAILS, the government spraying of chemicals into our atmosphere - the streaks across the sky that turn into artificial clouds. I can verify this has been going on worldwide, not just in the USA. Google Clifford Carnicom, who has been doing lab research/photo research/filed FOIA requests, etc., for a decade or more now. The entire earth atmosphere has been turned into a "plasma" for energy wave technology for the military. I have chronic 'tickle' coughing and heavy clear mucus problems - gobs of it now all day long. I think it's time to get a measuring cup handy to collect it all. At night, I drink down a cup of brandy straight just before bed, and this is the only alcohol I ever consume. The coughing stops, and I sleep a good six hours. I do not go to doctors, and that person who said they are going for regular CT scans is in danger of getting too much radiation. Now don't get me started on going through the machines at the airport. Anyway, I feel so sorry that Craig continues to suffer with the cough, and that 17 year-old is scared, for good reason.  I can report I also notice that temperature change is sure to set off the coughing fit. Plus I always live in old houses, so mold is a possibility for me, too. But the problem is that we are all chronically under stress physically from everything going on in the atmosphere. Of course, the USA and Canada are not interested in measuing the radiation from Japan anymore. It's too high. The safety of the population is not of concern, as we are just the ants in the anthill, and they will get as much money out of us (including doctors), and then we die. Consider the slaves building the pyramids for Pharoah. God sent Moses for the Israelites, but not for those who kept on being crushed by the stones. Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead, but not everyone. I think there is wisdom in considering eternity, every day.
I have had similar symptoms that you have all described. I have been to a doctor in France and I have been diagnosed with mononucleosis - this unfortunately is an untreatable viral infection which can last anything from a few weeks to a few months and if it becomes Glandular Fever, even years. Apparently stress make sit worse as well.
When I have cough attacks, I just eat honey - it really soothes my throat and calms the coughing spasms. So I take honey with me everywhere! For the pain I take ibuprofen. Hopefully it will go away soon!
Hi everyone.
   I just wrote a very long message detailing my problem--which is like alot of yours. I can't rewrite all of it--it apparently was losted somehow when I tried to submit it. I have coughing, chest pain, and fatigue for about 8 weeks. Have had two different antibiotics--but they didn't help. I actually feel worse now than before. I've had a chest xray which was clear. I've just had a lung scan in the ER today because my doc thought maybe it was a blood clot. The scan was clean also. The doc's basically are telling me that I shouldn't/can't have this problem because the tests don't identify any problem.
  I feel like my lungs are full, or swollen or something and I feel the urge to cough--a nonstop hacking cough that produces green sputum. I am really worried about what this might be because I have three little guys and couldn't stand the thought of not being here for them. I'll try to keep this short but am happy to talk about this with others who understand what it feels like and who feel just as confused about what it might be. This started with what seemed like the flu--bad pain in joints, extreme headache and overwhelming fatigue. It went on for several days then I thought I was starting to improve. The fatigue and feeling just plain awful went on for some time when I started to feel like I must have a resp. infection. I didn't do anything about this right away because I'm a busy mom AND I assumed it would clear itself up. Finally went to an urgent care place as my doc wasn't available. Ten days of antibiotics and not better. Went back and got 5 days of antibiotics. Not any better but was able to see my regular doc the following week and told her my story. She said my lungs sounded clear but ordered a chest xray to be sure.
  I called to get the results of the xray expecting to be told that I have pneumonia and to take an antibiotic but she said it was clear. Then she sent me to the ER for a lung scan thinking it was a blood clot in my lungs because I have developed severe shortness of breath and chest pain to go with the chronic coughing and fatigue. Well I was really scared but the scan was clean.
  The ER doc treated me like I was looking for attention or something. I get all the attention I can handle from my three little guys!! My scan was clean, my sats were good, my blood tests were fine, my ABG's were good. She basically told me that I couldn't have any problems because everything came back fine.
  I was sent home on 7 days of prednisone (spelling?) and told to  follow up with the ER if I get worse and with my regular doc next week. I feel like I can't get enough air and feel dizzy and lightheaded. I feel like my lungs are full, or fuzzy, or inflamed or something and I can't stop coughing. I don't even want to get in bed because I sat there and coughed all night last night. I think I got maybe a hour and a half sleep.
  My 5 year old twin boys were sick and put on antibiotics. One seems to be better but the other developed a severe cough after finishing the medicine and spiked a temp of 104. He went to school fine, came home and was fine and then after being home for an hour or so fell asleep and woke with the fever of 104 and a cough. He coughed all night and didn't sleep at all--me neither! I took him to his peds doctor the next day who told me his lungs sounded fine but get a chest xray to be sure. Well the xray showed pneumonia and he is on the second round of antibiotics. His fever is down but he still coughs pretty bad.
  Now, over the past three days my 8 yo son has developed the worst cough. He can't sleep either. His cough is just like mine except that he hasn't complained of chest pain. He has been in bed and coughing for two hours straight!!! He has no fever but is rather cool and clammy feeling although he complains of feeling very hot.
  We all have been using a neb machine but it doesn't help at all. We cough through the entire treatment and get no relief when we are done. I'm worried for me and my children. I can't bear to watch them feeling so bad.
  My throat hurts now too but I don't know if that is from coughing so much or something else. Right now all I can do is try the steroids and see if they help. I'll have to contact the doctor for my son tomorrow--which is Sunday--we'll see how that works!
   If anyone has info, please post. There are many people trying to solve very similar problems. Just to give all info, I may have mold in my home from a flood caused when my sump pump stopped working during the terrible storms a few years back. I guess it could be that the concentration of mold has increased so much as to cause problems. All I know for sure is that we are quite sick. I'll be watching for new posts. Hope everyone is getting better and God bless you all.

I too have had this cough for over two years.  I coughed so hard I broke 5 ribs.
It is exhausting and debilitating. Dozens of Dr.s tried to diagnose it to no avail.  I have come to find that taking Prevacid with lots of water-only water -with no eating for at least an hour or two in the morning helps.  Along with rinsing nose daily.  It helps to keep well hydrated- just drink water regularly even if you don't feel thirsty. Restrict soda's- if cold coke soothes your throat just sip a small amount.  Cough drops also soothe and help the healing process in your throat.  I don't go anywhere without them. I also take chewable fruit flavored Tums with me, they will stop a coughing attack immediately.  Take old fashioned benadryl especially at night it helps with the copious slimy clear stringy mucus.  Mucus thinners and expectorants can be of help sparingly as they are mercury based.  Mercury will help your mucus but collects in the thyroid, your thyroid will swell as it collects all the mercury your taking for your cough and you will really feel strangled by the thickened thyroid wrapped around the front of your airway. I found using a mold filter in the central a/c, changing it once a month and being aware of indoor air quality helped a lot.  Take your cough seriously even if any number of doctor's can't understand it.  Coughing paroxysm and fits of hard coughing can cause strokes, cause rib or spinal fractures and shorten your life.  It certainly ruins the quality of your life.  Only those that suffer from it can understand. Do not let them misdiagnose you with wild guesses and give you medications that not only don't help your cough but are fraught with side effects.  It is important to rest- avoid exhaustion, heavy lifting of the kind that strains your chest or throat in anyway should be avoided. Gentle exercise like long distance swimming is very helpful, but not when your cough flares- just rest a lot.  Pushing yourself when having lots of coughing fits will always make it worse- struggling with the cough and staying under any stress on top of it makes it last weeks, months even years.  You'll find that it can be soothed/diminished with rest.  Follow this multi-pronged throat friendly approach  and cough not- sleep well- feel good.  I don't know that we need it to have a name, we just have to soothe our airway/esophagus, let it heal (you know coughing causes more coughing-it's a vicious cycle) and when it's gone- keep it at bay with these effective and simple cures.
I have same irritating, chronic coughing, clearing mucus or phlegm in the throat.  It is very embarrassing situation when at church, shows, etc.  When I play tennis, do zumba, stretch and flex exercise, ballroom dancing, or any activity, I don't cough much or none at all.  Because of this chronic cough, I watch what I eat too.  Too much carbohydrates make me cough, so I lessen carbo intake.  Too sweet stuff triggers my coughing, so less intake.  I sacrifice a lot of sweet food except honey. Sometimes cannot resist during parties to eat sweet foods.  I tried honey, it really works to lessen the coughing.  Xray showed no TB.  Mucinex makes my nose so dry but did not help the cough.  I nosebleed when I took mucinex.  I took all different kind of inhalers, OTC or prescription, and did work but for short time, that is why I come to this forum to check out what could be a good cure.

To lulustar...  How do you pack your honey to bring with you all the time.  I wanted to make honey candy.  Any idea how to make it?
After many month of the dreaded cough, with NO help from my Doctor, I beleive I found a cure by accident.  I started drinking Apple juice everyday and it gradually began to go away. I'm not fully cured but I went from uncontrollable coughing to just a cough here and there. No more nasty mucus. I got my old self back.  I hope it helps you guys.  APPLE JUICE
is the apple juice still working for you. Im trying applecider vinegar.Had the problem for two years now.It get me down a bit.Also probotics,glutame to help build stomach linning.Just started with kefir(a fermented grain) Hope yoy all a feeling better.Hotchillpepper.
Dear friends,

Eat raw vegetables or fruits and see the difference.

regards
raj
Thank you for your suggestion. Do you have the same problems?  Hotchillipepper
In April, May and June I was really having a bad time with the attacks. My wife and I were looking at the video from the Bastian Institute. He talked about how he has had success with treating patients with anti depressives. I didn't want to start taking anti-depressives. Even though it helps people that need them there are still many side effects to deal with. So my wife asked if I would try St.Johns Wort. (A natural herbal supplement to treat depression). I'm not one to take a lot of herbal remedies, but because of the attacks getting worse I thought I'd give it a try. I take 3 capsules a day(one at each meal) along with L-Tyrosine (an amino acid 2 capsules in the morning on an empty stomach). Well within one week my attacks started to go away. By the second week I was not having hardly any attacks. Now occasionally I have a little tickle come up but it does not go into a full blown attack with the coughing or the severe pain in the throat. I don't know if it is just me but maybe someone else may want to try this and see if it has any effects. It's been six weeks since I've had a severe attack. Of course this might just be this thing taking a little break again.

Thanks Carlg
It came back at the end of August and is still with me again.

Carlg
Hi all my condolences and sympathies wait make that empathy. I have been coughing like all of you for years. My first doctor told me it was throat spasms but gave no help. Second doctor said it was asthma . Nothing works but I do notice how tense I get especially after nearly throwing up , choking , and p...ing my pants -again. At 64 I am sick of it and all anyone says is go to doctor. I do notice if I try relaxation exercises it helps a bit.so on that note I am going to start tai chi.. I was thoroughly thrilled to read all the forums here. I thought I was the only one. I do know I have some specific triggers like strong smells of any kind like perfumes food pollens etc as well  as going from warm to cold like an arena or moist to dry. Also colds or illness can get it going for three months at a time.Thank you so much for your comments. Those who have never experienced this first hand have no idea how it feels.Keep posting and looking or answers     And keep posting! Hlk48
Still no solution. Now it's the allergy season and it's getting worse again. I expect it to subside around late May or early June for a few weeks. I've heard nothing new or any other theories about what this is. The doctor from from the Bastian Institute seems to still have the answer however I don't want to go on anti-depressants. So until some other doctor decides to look into this orphan syndrome I guess we have to suffer. The only benefit so far I've had is when I'm talking to someone boring it seems to start up and I can get away from them.
I too have this STUPID throat cough. My shop teacher came back to school with a sinus infection or some deal like that. He was coughing as well. I went home with a 102 fever, headache, and just feeling terrible. After that went away I got the HELL cough. This stupid cough is progressively getting worse on the second week. I coughed until I threw up last night which was miserable.

Anyway my coughing got me taken to the clinic where I was told I had a virus and fluid behind the ears and nasal drip. Said a combination of things is keeping me from recovering because everything is to busy to heal I believe. So I was given a Z-Pack of anti biotics, sudafed, Teslon Pearls, and Zyrtec. This cocktail of drugs does nothing at all for the cough. Just like the codine cough syrup, or NyQuil, or any other drug. So I am awaiting a cure. Honestly I can't imagine living like this, as so many of you have.
Did you ever get a diagnosis on this problem struggling for air, I too do this, it's become a daily thing, very scary
What part of the country or world does everyone live? Is this climate related?
Seems people from all over have this. I live in NE PA. However as you read some of the comments you'll see posting from all over.
It's been a while since my update.  Most of my daily attacks went away when I left my mold infested house but extreme cold triggered it as well as allergy season. Fresh cut grass/hay, flowers... Etc.  so it was beginning to mimic allergy sensory.  I had idiot doctors who refused to believe the leek of suffering as well as the lengths I would go through to ward off an attack.  I never went anywhere without my mints or a cold pop.  I learned to do a deep throat bloat (no other way to describe it) to "scratch" the inside of my throat and I also lived on my albuteral inhalers which were beginning not to work. There is a little cough pill I got at the ER. starts with Benzo.  Little clear round fluid filled fish egg looking pills.  They are awesome!!

Now.. New update.  I've moved to Arizona where the climate is dry as a bone and I have not used my inhaler once, not had a single tickle episode, not coughed.  NOTHING! We are starting the rainy season so things are starting to get a little wet and I've felt a little poofy allergy related ick but nothing comparable to what I felt in Ohio. My doctor here has heard many "tickle" complaints that disappeared once arriving here.  If its so common why doesn't anyone know what it is? Annoying to say the least but I'm happy to not have to rely on soda (which I have completely stopped drinking now that I don't rely on it), mints (still carry them) and my inhaler daily.  It's nice to breathe although I do wonder what long term damage all that coughing caused.  
I hope you all find relief soon!!
Well I was thinking I must be the only person with these symptoms,  it's really affecting my confidence to go anywhere,  now I realise there are many of you, and I can only sympathise mainly.  Sorry but this is a lengthy posting but you need to read it all, I don't have a cure but certainly know what helps for me.   Firstly I live in Australia,  I have had this coughing choking problem for several years,  have seen 2 ENT docs in recent years but both could not see anything obvious,  my GP probably thinks I'm a bit of a nutcase.  I think there is some connection with allergies, prior to my throat problems starting I used to get intense itching in one arm and it was localised to the same spot each time,  the more I scratched the worse it got, the only relief was to put an ice pack on it for a few minutes, it would go away like a miracle,  so now when I get the throat itching I need to get to some very chilled water very quickly, if not the more I cough the worse it gets, nearly to the point of passing out, this is affecting my lifestyle so much I probably seem paranoid as I won't leave home without carrying a half frozen bottle of water,  the other one that most times works well is "Strepsils throat Lozenges,  I have no idea if this is a worlwide product so I'll include the ingrediants as follows  Lignocaine hydrochloride 10mg    Dichlorobenzyl 1.2mg    Amylmetacresol 600 ug,  no idea what 600ug measurement is,
These are described as Antibacterial + Anaesthetic.   not for under 6 years of age,  they do warn take care when consuming hot liquids or food etc, obviously because of the numbing effect which I assume would have to be the Lignocaine.
Now I need to tell you all,  providing I can catch the tickling cough within a few seconds or so, the Strepsils generally stop it, but if I take too long the coughing turns into an uncontrollable spasm,  at this stage I'm struggling and fighting to get air,  the only thing that works then is very cold water out of the fridge,even this can take two glasses of water to finally beat it, the extremely cold water obviously calms the nerve area in the throat,  I find this problem is really getting me quite depressed, to the point of at times, hoping the stress and fight to get air brings on one fatal heart attack and it's all over,  but then I think I don't  really want to leave my wife to fend alone,  I'm mentioning this in case one of you might have similar thoughts,  although my carrying very cold water every where might sound paranoid this is how it's getting to me,   otherwise I have no confidence to go out of the house. I should add I even tried accupuncture, I thought that was working for a few weeks, but then it was back again, this cost cost $600 and need less to say I suppose I gave that up,  even lost 8 kg  in 6 months,  thought maybe too many toxins in the heavy body, at first I thought I had hit on it, no itching for several weeks, but then all of  a sudden it's back, and my daily diet is virtually identical day after day. is it enviromental,  who knows,  Specialists don't seem to want to waste too much time unless they can see something easy and obvious. Be assured if anyway I find something that seems like positive permanent cure,  I'll post it here,  by the way, I'm 74 so hope it's not too long.

Dave.

Like a lot of you glad to find this site. My Doc doesn't have a clue either and as a lot of you have already been down the ENT route doesn't seem much point in that. The only thing I have found that helps is drinking water but this only aleviates the symptoms when they occur. I tend to find it is worse the next night after having alcohol but it does come and go with no real discernable reason.
This site seems to have some answers

http://www.healthhype.com/itchy-throat-causes-and-cure.html
I am so thankful I found this site because i was begining to feel like the doctors i have seen doesnt know what they are doing. I am writing from Lagos, Nigeria. I started having the dry throat itchy cough 3 months ago with running nose and eyes....then my bladder also leaks when i cough so i now wear sanitary pads all month (very annoying) so as not to pee on myself. I have had to walk on on a few meetings, family gatherings etc just to cough. I have seen 2 different doctors and had all kinds of test and analysis done to my blood samples, have also been placed on antibiotics and allegy drugs but nothing has changed. i was begining to think that somebody was after me as an African (laughs) but now i know I'm not alone in this battle. My major concern that no one has been able to figure out what this really is as it is gradually affecting my social life as i cant go anywhere any longer for fear of been embarassed by the noisy cough, i also dont get to sleep much at night cos its worse at night. recently i started throwing up as i cough......I have never smoked or drank in my life and I'm in my mid 30s.

seriously someone need to give this some good thot and let us know what this is and how it can be taken care of.
I was free from the middle of June to now. However it's started up again.
Omg i also have this! i have never had it , this is the 1st time, it started 2weeks ago when i had a normal sore throat due to weather, 1 week later and my cold has cleared but i get this itch/tickle in my throat that makes me cough till i can't breathe anymore :( i dont wanna have to deal with this all my life, it happend yesterday whilst i was at work on my way home, i started to cough in the car and told the driver to pull up as i thought i was going to pass out, i couldn't breathe and im really scared :( there has to be a cure to this, my eyes are watery, i cough up phlegm, and it doesn't stop! i cough till my back starts to hurt and it normally ends with a sneeze help! :((
Will this ever go away :(
Mine has eased at the moment, was kinda hoping that was it but seems it might be a reocurring thing. Only thing seems to help me is throat pastilles and drinking water pretty constantly.
Wow only just got round to looking up my weird cough and here you all are. I've had this on and off for over 10 years, never been to a doc as I drink and smoke. Cutting out caffeine reduced my episodes from 2 to 3 times a week to one every couple of months. Just thought I'd share it with you all
I HAVE A REMEDY THAT STOPS IRRITATING TICKLY COUGHS: AND IT REALLY WORKS.....so i want to share it with all of you.

my mum had a horribly tickly cough for nearly a year..(she had all the tests, used lots and lots of medicine ....and we just stumbled across this remedy.

Mix a teaspoon of honey with 1 level teaspoon of turmeric. (tumeric is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent - its a wonder substance which has been used in India for years!).

Mix it to a paste.

Each time you get an itch or scratchy feeling...lick the paste. Keep it on a spoon and put the spoon in a tub by your bed. Carry it around with you. Just before the cough start - lick the paste. After three days of doing this my mums cough was gone! It really does work. And its natural. Good luck and let me know how you get on?
Thank you for this information. I'll try this and see if it helps with the attacks.
I have been reading this again...I have similar symptoms and I have concluded after almost a year of them, that I should get a heavy metal toxicity test, as I think mine is environmental allergies, caused by the aerial spraying they are doing non stop.check out 'What on earth are they Spraying" ..
I have been dealing with the same symptoms, taken the same recommended cures, and still nothing abates this chronic cough. However, if only by accident, I was cleaning my right ear last night with a Qtip. Though there wasn't any sensation of pain, I instantly felt a physical connection to the source of of the coughing (tickling irritation in throat and chest) which triggered spasmodic uncontrolable wretching, running nose,and coughing which took several minutes to clear up. I have had several doctors look at the ear and found nothing, but something is going on that would get this type of reaction. Has anyone experienced or notice a correlation? Maybe this is the key that is being overlooked.

Both my twin sister and I suffer with a consistent tickly cough which will sometimes makes us heave and cough up frothy clear/creamy mucus and can make us belch with all the intake of air as we keep coughing. had chest x rays and seen ENT specialists, had lung function tests and asthma tests and basic allergy tests, which were all clear. Its like having a cold with a tickly cough but the cough never goes and its driving us mad. Neither of us smoke. we've had these coughs for years poss 10/15. tried nasal sprays antibiotics etc. I did wonder if it could of been caused or had anything to do with air conditioning as I can remember it making our throats dry/tickly when we first brought a car with air conditioning, but how could they test for this. Don't hold up much hope for finding a cure but there affecting our lives.
Something must cause these coughs so we feel something should stop them from continuing to cause havoc on our and others lives. If you eventually find a cure would love to hear it.
Hello everyone,  I MAY HAVE THE ANSWER TO THIS MYSTERY ILLNESS. My mum has been coughing for more than 10 years and just like all of your descriptions to your symptoms my mum too very often has that sudden itch in her throat that feels like there are "fleas attacking her throat" that leads to coughing fits and runny nose. Recently, mum had a CT scan and it showed that mum has bronchiectasis. Bronchiectasis is the widening of the airways in  the lungs due to cystic fibrosis or previous infections like pneumonia, tuberculosis or whooping cough. Because the airways are dilated (wider) it tends to gather mucus and other things like dust particles and even food. And as a way of the body telling you to get rid of the mucus and foreign substances, your body makes you cough by making your throat itch. Unfotunately, this illness is uncurable but it can be treated in many ways. The most important thing though is that it needs to be diagnosed early as it can lead to horrible complications if left to progress and worsen. What I will advice you now is go get a CT scan and if you can, also do lung tests to see the functionality of your lungs as well as your airways. Goodluck and I REALLY DO HOPE THIS HELPS ALL OF YOU. Also, please do let me know after your tests if you have the same diagnosis as my mum.

*please note that I am not saying that everyone has the same thing as what my mum has, but if you have been to the ENT and done everything else such as Xrays, allergy tests and treatments etc. and nothing happened, then there is no harm in finding out if you have bronchiectasis.

source: experience and years of research about this "mystery throat itch".
Just further information to my previous post, my mum is NOT a smoker and never been a smoker, however she did have pneumonia when she was younger which explains the bronchiectasis. Shes been through a lot of treatments for different illnesses relating to itchy throat such as GERD treatments, asthma, allergies etc and nothing worked or explained this mystery cough. This is until she went and had the CT scan which revealed that she has bronchiectasis.
Please go get a CT scan now and get diagnosed if you have Bronchiectasis. What you have sounds EXACTLY like what my mum has.
Thank you. In 2011, I was finally diagnosed with Achalasia. Basically, it's the opposite of GERD. My esophagus has no peristalsis, and my esophageal sphincter is so tight that it causes food and liquid to backwash, causing the itch. I had a Heller Myotomy (loosens the sphincter & allows the food to go down), which cured the itch, except for when I overeat, and the problem comes back for a while. I lost over 35 pounds in the last two years because my fear of the itch overcame my fear of not having enough.

Find a gastro who treats achalasia an go get tested. It worked for me.
I have read this forum and most of the related threads spanning back to the 2006 comments.  I think I might have conquered the cough!  Read on...

Mine started with a sinus infection that was the result of too much travel, too many airplane rides and not enough rest.  I'm very small (5'5", 113 lbs on a good day) and I rarely take medication of any kind.  Every time I take an antibiotic I get a nasty rash, so I try to avoid those like the plague.  My tickly cough started a couple of days before I broke over and visited the doc for some meds.  She prescribed Tessula pearles, an antihistimine nasal spray, Doxycycline and Prilosec.

Fast forward five days--I'm in Vegas with a hideous antibiotic rash and the throat tickle that makes me choke and gag.  On top of it all, I'm grossly dehydrated and not sleeping because I'm coughing all night.  I was still taking all of the above along with a cough suppressant/expectorant/decongestant during the day and a cough suppressant/antihistimine at night and handfuls of cough drops.

Fast forward another week:  after I got home I quit taking all of it except the cough suppressant/expectorant/decongestant, and I started using some decongestant nasal spray rather than the antihistimine nasal spray, which always went down the back of my throat, making the cough worse.  I read all the tricks people were using and devised a plan of my own, which began with me deciding and saying out loud (to my dogs) that I REFUSE to have this cough any longer than I have to.  I refuse to give up a normal life because I have a tickle in my throat.  What I started doing following that has been working and I'm back to sleeping normally.  Here's what I do every day, without fail:

As soon as I wake, blow my nose and take a Prilosec OTC with a full glass of water.  I then go about my morning routine and do not eat until I feel hungry, which is about 45 minutes later.  Before I eat, I use the decongestant nasal spray, which works very quickly.  If I have oatmeal, I put honey and turmeric in it.  If I don't have oatmeal, I swallow a teaspoon of honey after I eat (literally tilt my head back and give the bottle a good squeeze so the stuff coats my whole throat).  After I shower I take a dose of 24 hour Zyrtec (allergy medication).  I figure if I'm allergic to anything, this will at least stave off irritants long enough for my throat to heal...

I drink at least one 12 ounce glass of water once I'm at work.  About lunch time I take the cough suppressant/expectorant/decongestant, either before or after I eat.  When I eat, I start very slowly with a lot of water and chew, chew, chew (at least 20 times for each bite).  This seems to help prevent the "got a crumb in my throat" tickly feeling.

I drink another at least two glasses of water in the afternoon, along with a cup of tea that has licorice root in it.  With dinner, I have another full glass of water (do you see where I'm going with this?  Hydration is number one in keeping your throat moist, not candies or gum or cough drops).  After dinner I take another dose of the same cough medicine.  Before bed, I use the decongestant nasal spray again (it's 12 hour) and swallow some more honey.

I sleep with two pillows stacked up and I sleep on my left side, which is highly recommended by GI specialists because it angles your esophagus above your stomach opening so the stuff doesn't come back up your throat.

Some other things:  Just breathe.  I breathe through my nose, always.  Even when it's so stuffy I can barely get any air in.  Breathing through your mouth only irritates your throat.  I resist coughing.  I haven't felt the need lately, but earlier on, if I felt a tickle I'd gently clear my throat instead, which often helped and kept me from coughing.  When I have a moment of lull, like if I'm driving or watching television, I try to fully relax my jaw and tongue--just let them flop loose but keep your lips closed and breathe through your nose.  This seems to help calm everything on the inside.

Also, when I feel a tickle, I swallow as hard and as fast as I can.  Most the time this helps.  It also helps if you can down half a glass of water at the time.

Third, when "the tickle" started, it was usually in the side of my throat.  I read somewhere that if you scratch your ear, it will stop a tickle because touching the ear can cause a throat spasm, so I messed with the ear on the opposite side of where the tickle was.  I usually put my ring finger in it and jiggled it around (which caused my throat to tickle on the ear side but distracted me from the original tickle) and then scratched the rim of my ear--just the outside edge.  This made my eyes water something fierce, but it prevented the full blown cough-until-I-gag spell.  It only made my throat itch for a second or two and I swallowed hard and breathed out hard through my nose and held my breath for a second.  Then I breathed back in through my nose and it was usually just a slight tickle at that point, where I could have some more fluid to calm it.  Mess with your ears to find what triggers work for you.  Also, you may want to have your ears checked for fluid buildup, since pressure or fluid in the ears can cause a tickly throat.

The ear trick is what saved me.  It kept me from coughing long enough that my esophagus and vocal chords could calm down.  The terrible thing about a chronic cough is that coughing makes you cough more, so you have to stop it with whatever means possible.

I have not really changed my diet, I still don't take any other medications outside what I've mentioned and I haven't given up my coffee (always decaf, only one cup a day), even though you're supposed to with GERD.  That's one vice I will not let go.  Unfortunately, I still have the terrible stress that I think caused all this in the first place, but I have to tell you, once I decided I didn't want to cough like this for another two months or two years or ten years, I felt I had the power to kick it myself.  So far, so good.  I know everyone is different, but I also know how powerful the mind is, and putting my mind over the matter seemed to work really well.  

Please be gentle with yourselves, my fellow tickly coughers--your symptoms are real and your fears are real.  But please also don't let them take you over.  There's nothing "wrong" with any of you, but your bodies are definitely betraying you.  Tell yourself every day that you want to be well, you want to feel good and you want to be free of the cough, and keep trying.  Best of luck to everyone.  I feel your pain and I wish you all wellness!
My throat has been calm for the last few months. I'm still getting attacks, but not as often and only a few at night. Hopefully this will last for a long time.
I spoke too soon. This week the attacks again. I hardly got any sleep because of having so many. Might be the unusually warm fall. Hopefully the attacks start to subside as it gets cooler.

It's stopped again. Hopefully no more attacks for a few months. Am able to sleep again.

I have suffered from a tickly cough for a number of years. Bad attacks are followed by a sneezing fit and usually start off with an itch in my foot. I had an allergy test which was negative but the allergy specialist told me that he had come across this before, and it was usually due to excess acid. I was prescribed Lanzoprasol tablets and they have helped a lot. I also watch what I eat, ie no oranges, lemon juice, wine or vinegar. I still get the occasional tickly cough but find that tap water helps to prevent it.
For 40 years, I have had a cough that starts and will not end for weeks, months or longer.  I've seen at least 12 ENT's and other doctors to get an answer into what caused my cough.  A couple months ago, I managed to stop the cough by almost 100%.  How?  The past few years the cough has been mild compared to other periods in the past 40 years.  I have bad sacroiliac joints and had been prescribed 50mg of amitriptyline to help with nerve pain and to help with sleep.  I had my sacroiliac joints fused a couple years ago and decided to ween myself off the amitriptyline in the spring of 2013.  At the same time, the persistent cough returned with a horrifying vengeance.  All of this summer was spent coughing and not feeling well.  Reading through the years of comments on this page brought me to an undeniable cause of my cough: laryngeal sensory neuropathy.  It had never occurred to me that the cough had been somewhat controlled by the amitriptyline I'd been taking for several years.  I still had some amitriptyline pills and a refill, so I started to experiment with increasing the dosage beyond 50mg.  75mg worked better to control the cough, and 100mg worked even better.  I actually had just seen an ENT a week or two before discovering the cause of my cough.  So I wrote him a letter explaining that I had found a solution to my cough and made a new appointment.  He agreed that laryngeal sensory neuropathy was a correct diagnosis and was happy to prescribe 100mg of amitriptyline per day.  I'm 51 years old and have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on doctors, medications, tests and sinus surgery for my cough.  But those days are over now.  I'm thrilled not to cough or to fear the next recurrence of the dreaded cough that wouldn't go away.  For me, the irritation was only on one side of my throat.  The amitriptyline does cause an irritating dry mouth at 100mg a day.  The ENT did say that I could ween myself off the amitriptyline until the next time the cough started again.  I'm absolutely THRILLED to live life without the horrible cough, so I'm also a bit reluctant to stop taking the amitriptyline.  I read some comments on this thread from people expressing a reluctance to take an anti-depressant for the cough.  It's necessary to understand that medications like amitriptyline are used for other purposes.  For me, amitriptyline has been used to treat nerve pain (sciatica) and for my laryngeal sensory neuropathy.  I could care less what the purpose of amitriptyline happens to be, because IT WORKS.  My cough is gone!
Wow, you are the first person that mentions the reaction to the q-tip in ear. I have this reaction and it is awful.  There has to be a connection somewhere as a symptom of something related to all this gagging on mucus, etc.  I too have to see ENT about every year or two for sinus, respiratory issues, usually in March/April so seasonal related.
My problem is that some of the meds are not good for my Mitral Valve Prolapse and this past year actually went to ER with Atrial Fib.  Heart doctor said it could be from cough supressant or antihistamine I had been taking.
I am now sick with slight headache, very slight nausea and unbearable sinus drip issues which are horrible upon waking every single day.  Can't speak for more than a minute as it triggers coughing, and having to blow nose and gagging.  Until I go thru this repeatedly for an hour, there is no relief.  I use a generic Rx nose spray twice a day that helps a little but not a fix at all.  I have to constantly have water or liquids with me all thru the day.
I have had bronchitis (I smoke) last year or the year before.  
i have this now. i can't say when it started it was before sept 2013 - i had a pain in my throat but not inside the throat when i coughed [i am asthmatic too] i got a sharp pain like a knife cutting me from ear to throat [right side] when i went to ER they said it was caused by post nasal drip or my asthma - they sent me home with claritin generic no less & asthma med. i finally found a dr & he started in with thats my post nasal drip i need to have operation for devaited septum blah blah sent me home with nasal med which i swallow as nothing passes upward - asthma med. it finally left that pain i mean, but i was left with a 'catch' in my throat that forces me to cough & yes hacking cough the more i cough the more i gag & many many times vomit up whatever i just ate....if i haven't eaten its like mucus & many times stomach acid that burns my throat so i can't draw a breath [terrifying]
voilent coughing causes me to wet myself more then i like to admit to.
oh yes my left eye [same side as the 'catch happens] leaks sometimes BEFORE a coughs coming

after reading all your answers i see that antacid pills having ENT do scopes  etc are a waste of time.

i just do not know what to do its true its emabrrassing to be inside somewhere & get a coughing fit like that - what do i do carry a barf-bag with me all day? pretend i'm pregnant & having morning sickness in late afternoon? wear minipads maxipads diapers? i'm sucking on more cough drops then i ever had during all the colds i've had in my life

thank you for allowing me to add my 2 cents worth
I think I am convinced whatever is going on with the general community is doing nothing more than making the population miserable, making tons of money for the doctors and the pharma companies and a "cure" is not being given.  The more I read, the more I am convinced the Dr's know full well what is causing this and conveniently we are not being given a fix but instead lots of money making unnecessary treatment/surgeries to continue the money machine.
Anti-depressants are messing with your brain!  Be very careful because you cannot just stop this medication and the lasting effects are irreversible.  It's your brain function..............think about it................while you still can think!  If you have to control a cough by messing with your brain, it is not a real fix.  Something less severe is happening my friend.  The problem is that doctors won't or can't tell you what the issue is.  Personally, I believe they know exactly what the problem is, but it would stop the money machine.
That is insane.  The Amitriptyline/Elavil is not "messing" with my brain.  There are other options to stop laryngeal sensory neuropathy , like botox shots.  Anyone reading this, please do not believe for an instant that any medication is "messing" with my brain.  I want to shout to the entire world that my cough was cured several months ago.  It will never return as long as I treat the condition.  Again, please don't believe the insane comment about Amitriptyline/Elavil "messing" with my brain.  That is so insane that I really can only laugh.  Then I can go outside on a nearly zero degree Michigan night and NOT cough or feel that horrible tickle on one side of my throat.  I AM CURED.  I will be producing a YouTube video also to detail how my nearly 40 year old chronic cough was cured.  
I have been having the attacks again for the last three months. The pollen isn't helping matters. I think I'm going to try the advice of Dr. Bastian who calls what we have SNC ( Sensory Neropathic Cough ). I going to my doctor and have him start me on some of the meds Dr. Bastian recommends to stop these attacks.
I find it interesting that so many that experience this cough also suffer grom GERD or reflux.  I have that cough off and on as well as the throwing up of the light mucus.  Also, I have problems with my esophagus, food getting stuck that won't go down causing extreme pain and inability to catch my breath.  I noticed when I went on a carb free diet 14 years ago that all of my reflux disappeared.  This seemed odd to me.  I thought it was the spice in the spaghetti sauce or the pizza but it was actually the pasta and the crust.

This was before the esophagul problems began.  Also was suffering from really bad headaches.  None of this happened until my early 40s.  After the birth of my son.  Don't know if that is connected in any way.

I also sneeze if I have dairy.  Just this weekend I was eating a lot of carbs (stupid vacation) and noticed I was getting the tickling in my throat, runny nose and cough until I almost and sometimes did vomit.  I am now hypothesizing that all of this is some sort of food allergy possible gluten combined with dairy.  I am going to see my Dr. this week!
I've been getting the tickle cough for more years than I can remember and have found that it is invariably cause by being too hot.  Being sick sets it off, but sometimes just talking too much can do it too.  I've found that the best cure for me is to go somewhere cooler and remove a layer of clothing.  I haven't really taken a lot of notice of whether it's a seasonal thing or not, but maybe I should start paying more attention.  I'm only bothering to look it  up now because it's quite hard to breast-feed when you're having a choking fit - baby keeps getting distracted.  At the moment, I just take him into our living room and open up the doors to let a breeze through, as his room is just warm enough to set me off (I have a cold).  I will try upping my water intake to see how that goes - it always drops off when I get unwell.  Will also try tickling my ears and other remedies I've read, just out of curiosity.
This is the first i have looked this up since it starting about a month ago. The reason being that i barfed for the first time on holiday. I really hopes it stops. I have sat here reading this. Surprised it started in 2008, thanks to Craig. I really found it great reading all of this. It just surprises me about the 4 year long forum of this not starting. Definitely want to send this to my doctor. So surprised how many people have this.
I came back from vacation, england, where i had my first attack, Then went back to United States. thought it would stop, it didnt, ill keep posting
Well, I'm a newcomer to all this.  I've been researching my symptoms and landed here.  What a mess.  I was told by my Western doctor it was early flu.  Then when it didn't clear, I was told it was a bacterial bronchitis I'd picked up at the ER when there for something unrelated.  After a series of antibiotics, there's been no change:  I cough, gag, spit up thick, clear mucus, sometimes emit one deep sneeze as punctuation.  My eyes pour water the entire time.  I'm now seeing a Chinese doctor and taking his herbs and cough syrup, as well as a powdered throat spray that kills bacteria.  I am mystified by this and the coughing, which terrifies me.  After reading all this, I'm even more lost as to how to proceed.