Is everyone still having these sympthoms
I see these comments are from 2006. I am currently having many of these same problems. Tickle in throat, sharp pain, cough, tears, nose dripping. This has been happening for the past 5 months. I've been to a ENT. He said it was my tonsils. I had them out. At first while I was on meds during my recovery from the surgery the symptoms stopped. But after I stopped taking the pain killers anti-biotic and the steroids the tickle came back. I've been taking Previcid for acid reflux but this has not stopped the attacks. Does anyone have any current information on this?

This discussion is related to Tickle in throat makes me cough and choke.

I have suffered from a tickly cough for a number of years. Bad attacks are followed by a sneezing fit and usually start off with an itch in my foot. I had an allergy test which was negative but the allergy specialist told me that he had come across this before, and it was usually due to excess acid. I was prescribed Lanzoprasol tablets and they have helped a lot. I also watch what I eat, ie no oranges, lemon juice, wine or vinegar. I still get the occasional tickly cough but find that tap water helps to prevent it.
For 40 years, I have had a cough that starts and will not end for weeks, months or longer.  I've seen at least 12 ENT's and other doctors to get an answer into what caused my cough.  A couple months ago, I managed to stop the cough by almost 100%.  How?  The past few years the cough has been mild compared to other periods in the past 40 years.  I have bad sacroiliac joints and had been prescribed 50mg of amitriptyline to help with nerve pain and to help with sleep.  I had my sacroiliac joints fused a couple years ago and decided to ween myself off the amitriptyline in the spring of 2013.  At the same time, the persistent cough returned with a horrifying vengeance.  All of this summer was spent coughing and not feeling well.  Reading through the years of comments on this page brought me to an undeniable cause of my cough: laryngeal sensory neuropathy.  It had never occurred to me that the cough had been somewhat controlled by the amitriptyline I'd been taking for several years.  I still had some amitriptyline pills and a refill, so I started to experiment with increasing the dosage beyond 50mg.  75mg worked better to control the cough, and 100mg worked even better.  I actually had just seen an ENT a week or two before discovering the cause of my cough.  So I wrote him a letter explaining that I had found a solution to my cough and made a new appointment.  He agreed that laryngeal sensory neuropathy was a correct diagnosis and was happy to prescribe 100mg of amitriptyline per day.  I'm 51 years old and have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on doctors, medications, tests and sinus surgery for my cough.  But those days are over now.  I'm thrilled not to cough or to fear the next recurrence of the dreaded cough that wouldn't go away.  For me, the irritation was only on one side of my throat.  The amitriptyline does cause an irritating dry mouth at 100mg a day.  The ENT did say that I could ween myself off the amitriptyline until the next time the cough started again.  I'm absolutely THRILLED to live life without the horrible cough, so I'm also a bit reluctant to stop taking the amitriptyline.  I read some comments on this thread from people expressing a reluctance to take an anti-depressant for the cough.  It's necessary to understand that medications like amitriptyline are used for other purposes.  For me, amitriptyline has been used to treat nerve pain (sciatica) and for my laryngeal sensory neuropathy.  I could care less what the purpose of amitriptyline happens to be, because IT WORKS.  My cough is gone!
Wow, you are the first person that mentions the reaction to the q-tip in ear. I have this reaction and it is awful.  There has to be a connection somewhere as a symptom of something related to all this gagging on mucus, etc.  I too have to see ENT about every year or two for sinus, respiratory issues, usually in March/April so seasonal related.
My problem is that some of the meds are not good for my Mitral Valve Prolapse and this past year actually went to ER with Atrial Fib.  Heart doctor said it could be from cough supressant or antihistamine I had been taking.
I am now sick with slight headache, very slight nausea and unbearable sinus drip issues which are horrible upon waking every single day.  Can't speak for more than a minute as it triggers coughing, and having to blow nose and gagging.  Until I go thru this repeatedly for an hour, there is no relief.  I use a generic Rx nose spray twice a day that helps a little but not a fix at all.  I have to constantly have water or liquids with me all thru the day.
I have had bronchitis (I smoke) last year or the year before.  
i have this now. i can't say when it started it was before sept 2013 - i had a pain in my throat but not inside the throat when i coughed [i am asthmatic too] i got a sharp pain like a knife cutting me from ear to throat [right side] when i went to ER they said it was caused by post nasal drip or my asthma - they sent me home with claritin generic no less & asthma med. i finally found a dr & he started in with thats my post nasal drip i need to have operation for devaited septum blah blah sent me home with nasal med which i swallow as nothing passes upward - asthma med. it finally left that pain i mean, but i was left with a 'catch' in my throat that forces me to cough & yes hacking cough the more i cough the more i gag & many many times vomit up whatever i just ate....if i haven't eaten its like mucus & many times stomach acid that burns my throat so i can't draw a breath [terrifying]
voilent coughing causes me to wet myself more then i like to admit to.
oh yes my left eye [same side as the 'catch happens] leaks sometimes BEFORE a coughs coming

after reading all your answers i see that antacid pills having ENT do scopes  etc are a waste of time.

i just do not know what to do its true its emabrrassing to be inside somewhere & get a coughing fit like that - what do i do carry a barf-bag with me all day? pretend i'm pregnant & having morning sickness in late afternoon? wear minipads maxipads diapers? i'm sucking on more cough drops then i ever had during all the colds i've had in my life

thank you for allowing me to add my 2 cents worth
I think I am convinced whatever is going on with the general community is doing nothing more than making the population miserable, making tons of money for the doctors and the pharma companies and a "cure" is not being given.  The more I read, the more I am convinced the Dr's know full well what is causing this and conveniently we are not being given a fix but instead lots of money making unnecessary treatment/surgeries to continue the money machine.
Anti-depressants are messing with your brain!  Be very careful because you cannot just stop this medication and the lasting effects are irreversible.  It's your brain function..............think about it................while you still can think!  If you have to control a cough by messing with your brain, it is not a real fix.  Something less severe is happening my friend.  The problem is that doctors won't or can't tell you what the issue is.  Personally, I believe they know exactly what the problem is, but it would stop the money machine.
That is insane.  The Amitriptyline/Elavil is not "messing" with my brain.  There are other options to stop laryngeal sensory neuropathy , like botox shots.  Anyone reading this, please do not believe for an instant that any medication is "messing" with my brain.  I want to shout to the entire world that my cough was cured several months ago.  It will never return as long as I treat the condition.  Again, please don't believe the insane comment about Amitriptyline/Elavil "messing" with my brain.  That is so insane that I really can only laugh.  Then I can go outside on a nearly zero degree Michigan night and NOT cough or feel that horrible tickle on one side of my throat.  I AM CURED.  I will be producing a YouTube video also to detail how my nearly 40 year old chronic cough was cured.  
I have been having the attacks again for the last three months. The pollen isn't helping matters. I think I'm going to try the advice of Dr. Bastian who calls what we have SNC ( Sensory Neropathic Cough ). I going to my doctor and have him start me on some of the meds Dr. Bastian recommends to stop these attacks.
I find it interesting that so many that experience this cough also suffer grom GERD or reflux.  I have that cough off and on as well as the throwing up of the light mucus.  Also, I have problems with my esophagus, food getting stuck that won't go down causing extreme pain and inability to catch my breath.  I noticed when I went on a carb free diet 14 years ago that all of my reflux disappeared.  This seemed odd to me.  I thought it was the spice in the spaghetti sauce or the pizza but it was actually the pasta and the crust.

This was before the esophagul problems began.  Also was suffering from really bad headaches.  None of this happened until my early 40s.  After the birth of my son.  Don't know if that is connected in any way.

I also sneeze if I have dairy.  Just this weekend I was eating a lot of carbs (stupid vacation) and noticed I was getting the tickling in my throat, runny nose and cough until I almost and sometimes did vomit.  I am now hypothesizing that all of this is some sort of food allergy possible gluten combined with dairy.  I am going to see my Dr. this week!
I've been getting the tickle cough for more years than I can remember and have found that it is invariably cause by being too hot.  Being sick sets it off, but sometimes just talking too much can do it too.  I've found that the best cure for me is to go somewhere cooler and remove a layer of clothing.  I haven't really taken a lot of notice of whether it's a seasonal thing or not, but maybe I should start paying more attention.  I'm only bothering to look it  up now because it's quite hard to breast-feed when you're having a choking fit - baby keeps getting distracted.  At the moment, I just take him into our living room and open up the doors to let a breeze through, as his room is just warm enough to set me off (I have a cold).  I will try upping my water intake to see how that goes - it always drops off when I get unwell.  Will also try tickling my ears and other remedies I've read, just out of curiosity.
This is the first i have looked this up since it starting about a month ago. The reason being that i barfed for the first time on holiday. I really hopes it stops. I have sat here reading this. Surprised it started in 2008, thanks to Craig. I really found it great reading all of this. It just surprises me about the 4 year long forum of this not starting. Definitely want to send this to my doctor. So surprised how many people have this.
I came back from vacation, england, where i had my first attack, Then went back to United States. thought it would stop, it didnt, ill keep posting
Well, I'm a newcomer to all this.  I've been researching my symptoms and landed here.  What a mess.  I was told by my Western doctor it was early flu.  Then when it didn't clear, I was told it was a bacterial bronchitis I'd picked up at the ER when there for something unrelated.  After a series of antibiotics, there's been no change:  I cough, gag, spit up thick, clear mucus, sometimes emit one deep sneeze as punctuation.  My eyes pour water the entire time.  I'm now seeing a Chinese doctor and taking his herbs and cough syrup, as well as a powdered throat spray that kills bacteria.  I am mystified by this and the coughing, which terrifies me.  After reading all this, I'm even more lost as to how to proceed.
From one chronic cougher to all of the others......

Wow - I am astounded to have found this thread as I have suffered all of my life (that I can recall) from this wretched affliction.  I am somewhat fortunate that I am not a sufferer, 24/7, 365, my attacks always occur for approx. 7 – 10 day duration after I’ve had a cold virus.

The symptom of the inexplicable tickle that cannot be ignored, swiftly followed by the cycle of cough, choke, cry, belch, sneeze, almost pass out which continues pretty much until that tickle has done its job and passes is constant for approx 7 - 10 days and then it slowly starts to subside.  If I have eaten recently then being sick is also entirely possible during the attacks as they are quite extreme and I lose pretty much all control of my faculties while I’m in the midst of an episode.

Some things that have provided me some relief are as follows :-

Sudafed - Decongestant Nasal Spray - Dries up post nasal drip and this can lessen the attacks from the fluid running down the back of the throat and causing a tickle to start.

Salamol Easi Breathe inhaler - From my Doctor.  Was given this 1st approx. 2 years ago and have found it really helps to open up my bronchial tubes and seems to relax throat and surrounding area and makes each cough much more effective so the frequency of needing to cough is lessened considerably.

Benadryl Plus Capsules - Allergy medication.  I tried this a few years ago after reading that chronic coughing can be aggravated by pollutants and allergies especially when you have had a recent virus that can increase sensitivity to dust, pollen, pollution etc.  I take this once in the morning and once at night when the cough starts to occur and it definitely helps to lessen tickly coughing fits in a vast proportion of the episodes.

Vicks Chest Rub - At Night.  Using a small amount of this when going to bed and it seems to have helped to open my airways and allow me to get to sleep which is often the hardest part when you are constantly coughing.  I have also started to be able to cough in my sleep which is weird but helpful as I can rest through it, I just wake up sometimes when it gets really bad and have to get up and get over myself/get my breath back.

None of these things work every time and without fail and I often have to try and few combos to strike the best balance for the cough episode at the time,  

One thing that I have noticed is that coughing is a very psychological experience as much as it is physical for me,  As a result I often feel that the main cause of the chronic aspect of this problem is my own fear and expectation of a coughing fit which sets me off.  Because of this I have tried to break the cycle of the cough and to talk myself out of expecting the attack and to try and relax my throat and mind, keep talking to a minimum (when possible) and to always have sugar free cough drops/fishermans friends/gum in my mouth when I am in a situation that I would be loathed to have a coughing attack in.  I always carry/drink plenty of water also so I can keep sipping it to stop air con drying out my throat.  I travel for 3 hours each day on very busy public transport and so I always want to avoid any attacks on there for obvious reasons.  When travelling, I often put my headphones on and shut my eyes and try to get into a routine of forgetting where I am, breathing gently and swallowing enough to keep my throat lubricated and relaxed.  When I feel I have control of this situation, I feel less afraid of an attack and then it almost feels like I won’t get one, if I get the fear then I can pretty much guarantee an attack will take place in the next 5 mins no matter where I am or what I am doing.

I still experience attacks and had one only this morning that came out of nowhere so I am on the inhaler and sudafed for now and have the other items at the ready in case it starts to take hold and escalate.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has deemed their coughing to be as much a mental as a physical problem and if you have any joy in finding alternative approaches to take control and minimise the attacks, e.g. hypnotism, etc?  I know that may sound a bit out there but from all the reading I have done over the years on chronic coughing, a great deal of research seems to indicate unconscious habits that can be triggered and then get out of control resulting in a constant cycle of physical tickle, cough, attack....and so on.
When it comes down to things in common, I don't match with you so far. I am 20 years old, I smoked for two years prior, but I did quit. I have had this cough for the majority of my life, as long as I can remember at least. I was diagnosed with asthma in the 4th grade, but have little to no symptoms of it.

There are times, where my cough gets so severe, that I can not keep anything down, in turn, causing weight loss. To some that may not sound bad. But 20lbs, in a matter of two weeks, when already only weighing in at 86lbs. It scares me every time that I begin to have another cough attack. At times the attacks can become so violent that I can neither keep food down, breathe, and at other times my throat actually seems to close or "spasm" abruptly making it almost impossible to breathe during those. They become so embarrassing, especially when people may look at me, thinking I am sick, and I have to look at them and claim it's "allergies." So far doctors don't seem to know what is going on, but I can't keep doing this!

When my fiance and everyone in my family, looks at me as if expecting me to drop dead at any moment? When I am keeping numerous people awake at night, even when they are on the other side of the house, I feel horrible as if it is actually my fault.

I just don't know what to do, I have had numerous people suggest taking out my tonsils, but when I lived in Nevada, their response was usually "If they are infected or swollen, we can't do surgery. But if they're not infected, nor swollen, then their is no point in performing surgery."

But now that I live in a place that might actually perform the surgery, I would low and behold, not have insurance -.-"
I agree with you about the mental aspect of this condition.  When I get into bed at night I try to avoid thinking about coughing, but the thought alone brings on a coughing spasm!    My doctor seems convinced I have GERD (top of the list with doctors) , even though I don't have the symptoms.  I have also tried inhalers (no asthma), allergy control meds.  Am currently trying proton pump inhibitors.  No luck so far.   I have some Cipralex (antidepressant) in my drawer - maybe I will try that if my current Tecta (PPI) is unsuccessful, which it seems to be.  Being an ex-smoker I naturally think of the worst case scenario.  My cough is a dry cough, with no phlegm.
I've had this all my life and am now 37. Only difference is that it happens more frequently. Many things set me into a fit, talking, yawning, eating and even breathing. It happens more frequently after a cold. I'm glad to see I'm not alone. I've been embarrassed many times with friends wanting to call paramedics and me choking out the words I'm ok. IVe tried many of the same things tried on here. None worked or only provided temporary relief.  I have a small cyst near my ear and I'm going to have that removed to see if that is related. It's sitting on a nerve and when it gets inflamed causes pain in my ears and down the side of my head and neck.  I had another of these on my side that caused me excruciating back pain.  I had no idea the cyst was related to the back pain until I had it removed after 3 years of pain and had no more pain instantly. The dr confirmed it was causing my pain because it was on a nerve. I read a few posts mentioning ears and nerves and made me think of my situation.
I am happy to have found this thread. I have this "affliction" as well - have for about 20 years now.  I will be sitting in a meeting, or on a plane, or in the mall, or somewhere very inconvenient, then the throat tickle starts, then i cough like i'm choking for 5-10 minutes, eyes water, throat waters, nose runs.  its awful.  for the longest time i thought i was aspirating on my own saliva, but now i know different.  Cold diet pepsi or something fizzy seems to help sometimes, but not always.  I really hate this. i've moved several times over the years, so i can't blame the allergens in my home.  I've been on allergy meds, everything to no avail.  this really *****.
Its seems you are the only person i get satisfied with your comments and what is happening to you, i have the same symptoms and its very very embarrassing at work and every where i go,i look very healthy person without the cough,i have been sleeping in another room for the last 5 years, because i can't sleep at night without water beside and walk with water bottle every where i go, at work at church,every where i try to use it to stop the cough with the throat dry, anyway did you get any luck from the medication Dr. Bastian from your doctor? have to be honest with you now, i am now taking Solphadeine plus soluble and its helping me a little but using two in morning,two in afternoon and two in evening its not good but its just to help me live a normal life a little,
thanks and waiting for your response.
HOLY SMOKES I AM NOT ALONE.

I am almost in tears reading this chain. I have suffered from this horrible horrible 'tickle-coughing-attack' throughout my entire life. I am 26 years old and i have had this affliction since as far back as I can remember.

I too have been diagnosed with everything under the sun: post-nasal drip, allergies, asthma, acid reflux, bronchitis, etc.. You name it and Im sure a doctor has told me I have it. I have tried various prescription and OTC remedies and have never found true relief. Anything to numb or soothe the throat helps temporarily, but as you all know, that itch will always come back.

My cough always hits me after a I get a cold - specifically, I will start to feel the itch in the back of my throat at the end of my cold, just as my body is starting to get rid of it. It starts out slow and within a day or two I am having full blown coughing attacks anywhere, anytime throughout the day. It is painful and mortifying. I cough so hard I lose control of my body. Sometimes my whole body convulses and I almost throw up. After few days I start to feel like my lungs are so strained from non-stop coughing that they will eventually give up on me.

The WORST part about this is my inability to sleep from it. I can't fall asleep because I can't stop coughing. And even if I do pass out I will still cough in my sleep and inevitably wake up from it.

I don't know how many nights I've cried in my bed wishing someone out there would just figure out what the hell this is and find a way to stop it.

Reading this thread and seeing that I am not alone just truly warms my heart. My best to all of you.  
I had the same problems too.  I took none of the medication prescribe by the doctors because the medicine only fix the symptoms.  I had scope down my nasal into my throat as well and the specialist can't find anything.. which is good!

I did a lot of research and decide to go natural.  Try drinking a glass of warm water with half of lemon juice the first thing in the morning.  No sugar or any sweetener.  Only take your breakfast an hour later.

The itch in the throat goes away and so is my sinus problem.

Good luck to all!
I thought I was the only one dealing with this. I'm happy to find this forum and see that there are others out there that understand.  I thankfully don't have the tickle cough on a regular basis, but it appears any time I have a cold or flu virus. As with you, the tickle comes on as my cold is starting to end. The tickle will come on out of the blue, and I immediately start to cough and gag.  During these incidents, I can't swallow, and tears run down my eyes.  Thankfully I have never vomited during an attack, but the gagging is horrible enough. I've noticed that the attacks are worse if my mouth and throat get dry.  During a cold I try to drink a lot of water, and that helps, but the attacks often appear at times when I cannot drink anything, like on a bus or in the middle of a meeting at work.  I wish I knew a way to prevent them from happening at all.  I have a cold right now, and I'm dreading the tickle cough that I'm sure will follow.
I can tell you that it is either HIV or alcohol abuse, if you smoke it's even worse and can cause vomiting.
Good day, not sure if any of you are still curious as to find out what has been happening. I have suffered from the "tickle throat" for years since i was very young. It hasn't been cured nor has it gotten worse so I have a great sense of relief knowing its been that long and its still the same. I have noticed that in stressful situations it flairs up. also during the night. The best relief I found was taking small sips of water and just breathing through my nose. its quite scary when for those minutes you feel like you cant catch a breath because that tickle and cough wont stop. this has caused me to have panic attacks which I can also say I'm much better at dealing with. I always carry a bottle of water with me where ever I go, in my purse, in my vehicle. small slow sips and breathe through the nose. I never have full cough attacks by doing this. Give it a try and see if it helps.
thanks for listening:)
I had one of these spells at work today & it was hellacious! You are the first person to talk about stabbing pain in arms & chest. What is that?? It made me hot all over & gave me a stabbing headache, too. Nothing helps...you just have to get over it. Apparently, I am not alone & no one has an answer, either.
My cough has been going on for about 2 years.  It doesn't feel like the cough is due to anything in my chest, more like something on one side of the throat, although it does move at times from one side to the other.  Almost always ends up causing me to sneeze .. either one sneeze or a stream of sneezing. In any case the coughing stops immediately after sneezing -- until then it feels like I will cough forever.  Sometimes the coughing fits will stop COMPLETELY for a month or two or a week or two ..  Just about the time I think I am better, the coughing starts back up again. One time while coughing, I thought I felt something sharp in the back of my throat .. Something like a bristle from a toothbrush. I tried to catch it with my tongue and it disappeared. I also had a root canal about the same time and wondered if it was tiny piece of wire from the root canal.  So many people with this problem, would be great to find the ONE cause.
For the past 5 months i've been taking Amitriptyline. The attacks have calmed down significantly. However I caught a cold this week and the attacks have started again. I'm hoping once the cold is gone The will subside again.
Yes , I started taking one of the meds Dr. Bastian recommended. Amitriptyline. It has made it so I can sleep now.
I have had the same symptoms since Oct. 2014.  Have been through all the tests as all of you.  Have been prescribed all of the same meds.  All I can do is wait for the cough to subside.  I coughed so hard in january, that I severely injured a left side rib.  Very painful. The only difference in my symptoms that no one else has mentioned, is shortness of breath, very much like asthma.  When I lie down, my breathing has a squeaky, wheezy sound, that the albuterol doesn't help.  No COPD, asthma or emphysema.  I'm just like all of you, tired, disgusted, and almost a recluse because of the embarassment of being in public and coughing until you throw up, or worse.  Another appt. coming up in April, don't hold out much hope.
You may want to check out the comments about the Bastian institute
It may help you to see if you have sensory neuropathy cough
I just found this thread after a violent coughing attack for the second day in a row at my new job. Yesterday I escaped to the parking lot before it got too bad and today found an empty bathroom where I coughed until I vomited in one of the toilets. I'm coming off of a terrible cold or something... but this tickle cough attack has been around before.

I had the same symptoms in early November (seven/eight months ago) while I was recovering from a terrible cold/upper respiratory infection/undiagnosed something. My doctor thought I had strep at the time but my test came back negative so she sent me home empty handed, following which I became so ill I was put on medical leave from an assigned military mission. I would cough so hard my eyes would water, my nose would run, I'd become faint and see stars in the corner of my vision and feel the need to vomit. I was spending more time coughing/vomiting in the hallways/bathrooms than doing my job.

Both times I had a bad cold (or cold-like symptoms) before hand, along with the feeling of water in my ear canals. It changes sides - sometimes a sharp prick on the left will send me running to the hallway, sometimes it's on the right. Always a sharp, SHARP pricking feeling at the back of my mouth near my tonsils, followed by a few seconds to prepare for a violent coughing fit where I fear I may pass out from lack of oxygen. I sometimes cough so hard I gag and spit up/throw up a clear mucous-y substance, as mentioned in some of the comments above.

The only medication I'm on is an oral contraceptive. I'm 22 years old with no other real medical issues besides recurrent kidney infections, which are currently under investigation.

I'm glad I found this forum but disappointed that the span of comments lasting almost a decade still don't show any real, reliable results or cures. :( Will keep checking back though.
Did you have the symptoms before you took the Metformin? I am also coughing followed by throwing up but when I stop taking Metformin it stops, also take Levothyroxin for thyroid. I read earlier that it might interact with Metformin. Just curious. I am going to go back to the 2000 time released to see if it stops.
Hi Carlg,

What dose are you taking of the amitriptyline? I already take 10mg for an unrelated disorder but have had a chronic cough for 7 months with the same symptoms as you.  How long were you taking it before the symptoms subsided?  
Have. Had any luck. I have had for 2 1./2 yrs clearing of throat  excess mucus and saliva iis.gagging me  and eventual,y lost so much weight lack of enough nutdition and I am on a stomach feeding peg and eat maybe once I  awhile avacado oatmeal cookke and lukewarm coffee pls email if any alternatives and have. U ever trid acupunturce donna
I take 25mg. It seems to be helping. I am not having as manly attacks as before. I'm able to sleep thru the night now
I have been terrified for the past seven years thinking that I had contracted a horrible disease that expressed itself through my chronic coughing fits. I don't have anything close to a solution but I found some relief using Mucinex-DM (600 MG) only. The downside is that I cannot take more than 4 tablets in a 24 hour period, but at least, it gets the job done. My coughing is suppressed for about 6 hours after dose, way less than the 12 hours rated by the manufacturer. Of course, that means I still fall short of a full nights sleep being forced awake just when REM sleep kicks in. However, the mere knowledge that I am not alone is relief enough if only to affirm that "misery loves company".  Wishing everyone the best outcome in our perennial search for a permanent solution.
Craig,
Are you still doing well?
So far the amitriptyline seems to be working. My attacks have been reduced greatly. I can now sleep most of the night with only slight attacks
Mine has become fairly constant, none of the breaks I used to get and very disturbed sleep. Does the amitriptyline help during the day as well and does it affect your ability to drive etc.
It works even during the day. I drive part time for a living. It does not interfere with driving. I had to try different dosages to get it to calm down. Now during the day or night I get a mild irritation and the it goes away. You should look at the video's from the Bastian Institute. Dr.Bastian talks about the different medications your doctor might want to try.
Carl I was on the amitriptyline up to 40 mg a day but did not help. I have had my "tickle cough" for about 15 months at least once a day I cough so hard I vomit. Not sleeping very good at night, Have seen an ENT and GI doctors no help. I have at GERD for years but what I eat to stop and flare ups. I am 57 years old and never smoked. I was beginning to think this was only me. I don't want to go out any more. Having problems at work as I have to run to the bathroom when I have these attacks as I don't know if it will ends in vomiting. I even had to pull over on the side of the road to vomit! This all started with a bout of bronchitis. I keep hoping there is an end to this some time soon
Me too, I have the same condition right now.
I'm a Filipino lady currently residing here in Dubai for work.
I'm happy to know that I'm not alone in this battle.
There's like a single needle that pokes one side of my throat that triggers the itchiness and starts my non-stop cough that almost having a feeling of throwing up all your intestines and stomach due to the severe cough. The unbelievable thing here is that I got no phlegm everytime I cough very hard. I only spit saliva at the end of it. This condition started just this month (February 2016), I visited my doctor and he checked my throat and lungs and said everything was normal. :( He gave me cough depressant. But I guess there is something more behind this condition we have. I hope somebody can discover the right medicine and how to treat it.
I had the same problem,
Gee's linctus from the chemist
Gave me a great night sleep
and my homeopath gave me something to clear my mucas and tickle throat ,it is gone.
I was dealing with Pam from Seline Homeopathics
Tauronga .
My problem now is a blocked nose that leaves me breathless in the early morning hours and scars me. I had radiation for cancer of the larynx.
Erika

Found some information that may or may not help some. It explains for me personally.Irrateable Larynx Syndrome:
Cjsipa.ca>files>2010_CJSLPA_Vol_34    by M. Morrison -2010 PDF File....I am 54 female that has suffered with this for 37 years. The last 10 years have been unbearable. Nothing worse to have ANY MEDICAL PROFFESIONAL blame smoking as the root of cause, when pushed to then explain why someone that has NEVER SMOKED NOR BEEN EXPOSED TO SECOND HAND SMOKE suffers from the same ailments to then get mad at the patient for even asking Erks me off! To clear the air, smoking is an irritant not the root cause! I had COPD from birth, underdeveloped lungs at birth. My pulmonoligists explained 21 years ago that even if I had never smoked I would be still seeing him just 5 years later is all. I was diagnosed with IBS 20 years ago. I have had SEVERE MIGRAINES since 1978. I have saw so many doctors over the years. NO ANSWERS just try this and that only to cause even more complications. I recently rejoined the work force into customer service, therefore having to talk continuously all day long (8-9) hours. Now the episodes happen every 15 minutes or so. Severe coughing, unable to breathe, sinus water faucet, vomiting, weak bladder control, sweating like I just worked out at the gym. I have had for 25 years now episodes that my larynx muscles go into a spasm and shut off my airway. YES SHUT OFF MY AIRWAY! I have learned to not panic, DONT TRY TO BREATH AIR IN!! THIS ONLY MAKES IT WORSE! Instead try to blow out a small amount out of your lungs and then try to breath a small amount in, it may not work the first time you try. DONT PANIC! Push out again, for some reason if you try to breathe in the muscles only tighten more, but if air is pushed the opposite way they loosen slightly. Once they have loosened slightly COUGH!! But only take in small amounts to not trigger the muscles to spasm again. This happened to me sleeping or awake. Sometimes it is triggered by sinus, perfumes, wind hitting me in face unexpectedly while breathing in. VERY SCARY WHEN IT HAPPENS!! Most of all don't panic!! I have told doctors about this for years!!! They all blame on one thing or another. If you have acid reflux never sleep on your back or right side, this allows a straight path for the stomach acids to reflux to the throat. EXPERIENCE... And told by my latest doctor also. This article may finally give me my answers that I have long believed was causing the tickle coughing spells...hope I have given someone a direction to go in....
All of us are differing with nerve damage to the larynx... Is called  laryngeal sensory neuropathy...look it up hope helps...gabapentin  300 mg three times a day stopped it for me
I have just the same symptoms . I've been suffering for 8 year's with burning mouth syndrome, and then I was diagnosed with trigeminal nerve, which led me to have an operation behind the ear called vascular decompression. Nothing has worked, its worse than ever. Can anybody help.
Out of the blue, and especially in the middle of the night, I get this crazy, itchy tickle in my windpipe (just where our breath enters the windpipe). It triggers me to want to cough, which makes it itchier and itchier.  It is so frightening.  The only thing that helps and makes it go away is to try not cough and just wait out the itch.  It then will subside.  It is bizarre, so uncomfortable and very scary :(  I have allergy induced asthma and only take Singulair, which helps tremendously.  But the crazy itchy tickle has appeared out of the blue and is now bothering me almost nightly  :(   I don't know what to do  :(
you so sound like me in every regard. Mine started four yrs ago August. suddenly, unable to exhale  The hacking cough, extreme shortness of breath. Advair caused voice change, no voice at times. ENT says vocal chord don't close completely. Prednisone offers complete short term relief, but symptoms return always .Pulmonary doctor started a buttock injection (Kenalog). I was symptom free over a year. January this year symptoms back worse than ever.
Chest CT now showing chest wall hardening and nudules.   Scared ********.
Hi Rukstar

I have the same symptoms as you after a throat infection and wondered if yours cleared up and the spasms ceased?

Regards
Steve
Still having attacks just not as often. Seems the low dose antidepressant is working. I only have attacks maybe 6 times a week.