Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Is stuffy nose in the morning normal?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Is stuffy nose in the morning normal?

Every few days or so, I wake up with a stuffy nose in the morning.  It's always on one nostril only (therefore I could still breath alright through my nose).  Most of the time it's mild, but sometimes it's completely blocked (i.e. little or no air would let through if I block the other nostril).  However, my nose would usually clear up few minutes after I get up.  Is this normal?  

This also seems to happen only during early hours of the morning around 8-9 o'clock; if I wake up in the middle of the night, my nose is usually clear.   My family told me this is normal as it's the same thing for them, but I'm not entirely convinced.  

I'm particularly concerned about whether this would affect my ability to think and concentrate during the day, as my profession requires lots of mental activity.

I've been diagnosed with rhinitis and mild sinusitis before.  However, I didn't opt to take antibiotic or have surgery.  Instead, I just drank more water, eat more fresh fruit and take my sleep seriously.  Nowadays, I can say my symptoms are noticeably improved.  That is, my nose are generally clear throughout the day.  From time to time my nose gets stuffy, but those days are few and far between.

What I've also noticed is that my mood seems to have a lot to do with it.  Namely, if I'm in a happy and talkative mood, my nose clears up instantly.  I don't know whether mood is a cause or an effect.  Is there a scientific explanation for this?

Many people describe being able to breathe through one nostril or the other most of the day.  If this is not troublesome and you are still sleeping well, it is unlikely that this is a problem at all.  It may or not be due to a deviated nasal septum, which alters the flow of air when there is partial swelling of the lining of the nose.  When people are under stress, there is increased blood flow.  This may be noticed as a congestion of the one side of your nose, as you describe, because of a possible minor deviation of the septum.  This should not cause any problem with your ability to think or concentrate.  If you are fine most of the rest of the day, I would not suggest any treatment at all.
You should always get checked by a doctor because there is a broad spectrum of stuff associated with the nose, but I can tell you alot of people suffer from a deviated septum which will cause a itchy, blocked or runny nose. I have had this problem for a while and don't know if surgery is a good option because of all the things that can go wrong, Try breath right nasal strips- go natural whenever you can! There is also vasmotor rhinitis which causes nasal trouble based on emotions, and feelings- bless you!
thanks for your response.  I think vasmotor sounds very close to what I have, after a bit of research on the Net.  In particular, the fact that it could be triggered by mood change and spicy food is exactly what is in my case.