Respiratory Disorders Community
Little Known Facts about Mucus after Eating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I see lots of discussion on the topic of having to cough up mucus after meals. Often the explanation is GERD or Post-Nasal Drip. Yet many people comment that taking strong acid reducers like proton pump inhibitors (Nexium, Protonix, omeprazole, etc.) or anti-histamines does not help.

What people do not realize about GERD and proton pump inhibitors is that the drugs do not stop GERD, they merely decrease the amount of stomach acid produced (which can have other not-so-good effects over the long term, particularly in the elderly). If, as frequently happens with GERD, it is caused by a weak lower esophageal sphincter, then you are going to get some reflux particularly at night lying down.. Sometimes trying to spend most of the night sleeping on your left side (because that puts the esophageal opening to the stomach higher) might help.

So, even though you may not feel any symptoms of acid indigestion that does not mean you are not having reflux problems. Short of stomach surgery (fundoplication) to tighten the sphincter, there does not seem to be much that can be down about this as far as I can tell. Even the operation usually has to be repeated in 4-5 years, and just having it can create more swallowing difficulties.

This discussion is related to Excessive coughing/mucus after eating.
Tags: thick mucus, mucus, mucusng, Coughing, GERD
The problem is because of slow down of stomach. As you said it right;  GERD / Acid indigestion are often caused by slow stomach. When the stomach slowed down there is a build up of food and once you had mucus which was probably because of recent cold, it does not have a way to get out normally through colon. So what happens is that it tries to come out through mouth.

One way to get this problem resolved is to take necessary steps to empty the stomach through detox. I would use TRIPHALA which is natural detox and would help empty stomach / colon thus resolving the mucus after meal issue for good.
When you talk about a "slow stomach," I assume you are referring to a stomach motility disorder like delayed gastric emptying (gastroparesis). In this condition, the normal rhythmic contractions of the lower part of the stomach do not function as designed and food is not moved towards the pyloric sphincter. This can be a serious condition manifesting in such things as vomiting or perhaps functional dyspepsia. Patients with this condition probably should be advised to see a medical practitioner rather than resort to self-treatment with detoxification supplements. A good article on gastroparesis is at http://www.aboutgimotility.org/site/about-gi-motility/disorders-of-the-stomach/gastroparesis.

NOTE: The information in this post should not be considered medical advice. It is not meant to treat, diagnose, prescribe or cure any ailment. Always check with your physician before taking any products or following any advice you read on the Web.