Low Oxygen Saturation Level
Wondering if anyone has experienced low oxygen saturation levels?  I went to a pulmonary specialist for a consult on sleep apenea.  Took the pulse, blood pressure, etc. and then said "ohhh your oxygen saturation level is 84%.  Kind of low."  He then set me up for a sleep study.  Anyone else experience the same?
Folks If you are not happy with your physician get a second opinion.
I have bad sleep apnea and asthma and have O2 of 94% during the day and 75% during the night.  I'm having heart rhythm problems now and fatigue and 94 even on all my asthma meds and medrol.  Is there anything I can do?  
Yes you can do something yourself - the technique is described in my post above dated November 14 ,2011
You problem of sleep apnea ,asthma,heart rhythm will all be helped with 30 minutes of anulom vilom, twice a day.
Let me know your O2 readings, after 3 weeks, and what benefit you notice..
I understand where you are at with the sleep apnea. I am not getting oxgen to my brain when i sleep. I am wondering what other conditions come with this problem. I am having a hard time getting any information about this problem. Could I end up parkisons or something else
My husband has COPD and was hospitalized about 3 months ago due to low oxygen levels. He was sent home with oxygen. Now the pulse oximeter usually reads 90-92 at a resting rate.  Now he wonders if it's normal for it to drop while moving/working and how low is "safe"?
Follow the anulom vilom breathing technique, twice a day, described in my November 14 ,2011 post, and you will notice an increase in the O2 level.Over the long term your need for oxygen will decrease, as you continue with anulom vilom. Any activity uses oxygen, so the level goes down when you move.
January 11, 2012
Thank you!
It sounds like Pulmonary Fibrosis.
If your sat leval is below 88 you qualify for and need supplemental oxygen. Your insurance should pay for most of it.    
Ask your doctor to prescribe it.
Find another pulmonologist if yours does not address your problems.  Push.  You need to breathe to be healthy.
I've been dealing with this for along time now.  I was told I had a resting reading of 90-91 and that was fine - but they gave me oxygen for when i'm exercising.  That held for quite a while and then I got a cold and my oxygen dropped fast.  It is now 82 and tops out at 86.  I was also told that 88 is okay too but I'm going to the hospital tomorrow.  I dont normally us oxygen unless exercising but I am now.

One thing I am suspicious of is - previously I was diagnosed as having iron deficiency anemia - they gave me iron and in a week or so I felt a lot better - I believe that is  the case again.  When there is insufficient iron the bone  marrow doesnt' produce enough red and white blood cells - the red cells pick up and carry oxygen to the body and the white blood cells fight infection.  I am low in both and think it's iron deficiency anemia.  So tomorrow I will ask that it be checked on my CBC.  Anyone should consider that possibility when you are trying to figure out what caused your low oxygen sats.   John Hansen  ***@****
I've had chf for years and they diagnose that by seeing if you are accumulating fluid in your lower legs.

Recently they changed their diagnosis to "slight" chf.

That was after I used the Tony Little rock n' roll stepper for just a couple of weeks.  It so tightened up my calves and lower legs that it drove all the fluid accumulation out.  Best $50.00 I ever spent.  I don't sell them btw.

I currently have a cold and oxygen saturation is way down - so I'm going to the hospital tomorrow to check for iron deficiency anemia.  I'm 74, diabetic and with slight chf.  Previously my low sats were related to the iron deficiency anemia.  I got a heart valve in 2007 and when I got home - I took off the oxygen and my saturation was 92 just like with it on.  So I left it off.
I have 3 and often can't find them.   so on a good recommendation - I order two devco's.

http://www.devonsuperstore.com/100-A-Fingertip-Pulse-Oximeter-P264.aspx

Said to be really accurate.  You don't have to pay a lot - these are $29.95 each.  I compare my other 3 to the doctor's office and hospital and they are all within one point of so.l

JackHester
Any nutritional supplements here?  What is the anti-oxidant status?  This drives me crazy...all these  tests without questioning cellular nutrition including mineral imbalances.  The biological burdon that we accumulate over time interferes with the ability of the body to heal itself.  Read the book CLEAN by Junger, MD.  It seems as though most doctors have forgotten their biochemistry.  

My definition of a specialist goes like this:  a specialist is one who knows more and more about less and less.

Dr. Michael Dierkes at ***@****
The cardiologists at my local VA hospital said 88 or above is acceptable.

Somethings you might try for both Afib and OXsats is to take some vitamin D -about 3000 IU is non toxic and has a lot to do with heart rhythms.  I did that yesterday for the first time and my afib stopped for all day and onlly started in a very mild way by night and still is much more subdued than normal.

For oxsat - take some iron pills.  Often people have iron deficiency anemia without knowing it.  It improves my oxygen saturation a lot in about 3 days.

And if you can tolerate a diruretic take about 20 - 40 mg of  that.

It helps clear my lungs of edema and that improve oxsat and probaby afib as well.

Best wishes.
Well I'm JackHester and the devco oxygen saturation meters proved to be very innacurate and hey don't light up to make it easy to see.

The best I've seen and I bought several - is CMS50DL - available at:

http://www.pulseoximeter.org/cms50-dl.html

Mine a blue and white and the big red digits are easy to read even at a distance and without my glasses.

I don't make any money on this.

Best Wishes.

JackHester
I had a reading of 86 when I woke up this morning.  What I will do is get on my exercise bike and ride easily for an hour.   Using oxygen only when I exercise it brings my oxsats up to 92 - 94.  That helps strengthen my heart and clears my lungs.

It's now 89 and that's okay too for starters.

JackHester
MY WIFE HAS SLEEP APNEA COPD AND SARCODOSIS OF THE LUNGS WEVE BEEN GOING TO A LUNG DOCTOR FOR YEARS HE HAS TAKEN HER BLOOD GAS AT A RESTING STATE AT 89 TO 92 AND NEVER AS SHE MOVED SHE ALWAYS COMPLAINED OF HEADACHES BEING TIRED UNABLE TO GET UP IN A.M.  JUST RECENTLY SHE HAD 3 LEVELS REPAIRED IN NECK AND THE DOCTORS IN NYUC FOUND HER LEVELS TO BE WHILE MOVING AROUND AT 76 SHE IS NOW ON OXGEYN 24/7 WITH THAT HER LEVEL IS 96 WITHOUT 86 SHE WAS A HEAVY SMOKER AND IS VERY DEPRESSED ABOUT NEVER COMING OFF OXGEYN WE DONT KNOW HOW MUCH DAMAGE WAS DONE BY HER DOCTOR NOT BEING DELIGENT BUT THANK GOD 4 THE DOCTORS AT NYU SPECIAL SURGERY HOSPITAL AT LEAST NOW WE KNOW WHAT WE ARE DEALING WITH
Is anyone on this forum dealing with interstitial lung disease (ILD) ? I was diagnosed in 2008 and am on O2 all the time. I'd like to connect with others in similar situations.
@ EllaV,

My sister was diagnised with ILD  in May 2012. She is 41  and is a diabetic.
She was in ICU for a week. When she came home , she was advised to be on suppl oxygen for 18 hrs /day for 2 weeks .Everything worked fine, her oxygen saturation increased upto 96 . During her first review with her doctor, she was asked to come off from the suppl oxygen. She was doing good until she developed fever all of sudden. Her fever comes almost every morning and her oxygen saturation is down to 83 -84.  We are very worried. She  went to the doctor with a recent xray and it is shows good clearing.The doctors are not able to find why she gets fever everyday. She is on oxygen all day now. We dont know what to do . My parents are very old and i stay in a different country. I cannot focus on anything but to worry about her condition.  What could be the problem?
My diagnosis is (diastolic) congestive heart failure which causes interstitial fluid in my lungs. Haven't heard the drs. call it ILD but I guess it is kind of similar.
if any of you have low oxygen levels get to hospital asap my nan had copd and the oxygen levels went to under 30 during the night sadly she died 2 weeks ago she was my life the docs sent her home took her off dialisis even tho her kidneys and lungs failed and she had no oxygen saying she was all better gave her false hope she was then rushed bk in week later she died she was ment to be released the next day to go home im distraught thats the nhs for you please take my advise get it treated asap
i have had asthma since i was an infant. i'm 34 now. i've noticed that when i've been at all overweight (my weight has fluctuated over the years) and when i've been eating  more wheat, dairy and sugar my asthma is signifiantly worse. when i'm a healthy weight eating a mostly gluten / processed free diet my asthma pretty much disappears.
did you figure out your problem?  My dad has been going through the same thing - high blood pressure but no other health issues.  His dr's are stomped - it is so frustrating!
I had pneumonia a few years ago. I had to call 911 cuz my breathing was so bad. When they took my o2 sat, it was 59. I was admitted for almost a week. I now get bronchitis much easier than normal n was diagnosed with asthma n sleep apnea a year ago. I quit smoking when I found out about these new health problems. My o2 sat has been close 2 normal ever since I was discharged from hospital years ago after pneumonia, tho.
I hope you got some medical attention.  I am surprised to see that your post is still online since 2001.  11 years ago?  I have severe COPD.  Diagnosed in 2000.   I have been using Oxygen 24/7 for about 11 years now.  I find CPAP VERY helpful! too!  With Oxygen bleed in through the hose.  I am still working and do as much as I can.  My saturation went to less than 50 - one nurse mentioned having seen a figure of 30+ something in my file.  I wake up after sleeping with CPAP and 4 LPM oxygen, my sats can be from 96 - 99 but as soon as I start moving around, they drop.  If i do not use oxygen, and don't move, they drop slowly but if i breathe deep and hard, i can keep it into the 80s for a while before I hurt too much and have to turn on the oxygen.   I like to keep it above 93 as much as possible,so if I do a lot of moving around I need to turn it up to 6 or more.
HI ZOE   SAW YOUR POST ON LOWO2 AT NIGHT 2001.

IF STILL USING PLEASE ADVISE
OCT 2012   THANKS  ED
I suffer from COPD.I have been Doctoring for 2 years with it and have been put in hospital 2 times.This last time I almost died.I have 10 different Doctors on my case. This is what I have been told. 02 stats can go down to 93 for me. When I am up and doing things I put my 02 up to 3 to3.5.I did purchase my own monitor for stats.They also had me do sleep test 2 different times..I now have a Bi-pap machine.OMG what a change this has made. Not saying I am 100% better. But this machine has changed my life. For anyone out there,,,talk to your doctor and dont be afraid to try things out. I am on morphine every 4 hours and take a hand full of meds but Im here and feel pretty darn good concidering everything.I wish all good luck with this darn illness.
I am 41 and was diagnosed with Eosiniphilic Pneumonia in 2005. I had all the same symptoms as you and had to go through several tests and specialists and finally a biopsy to get the diagnosis. Get another opinion from a Pulmonologist. Get a chest CT Scan and bloodwork.
Am I the only one???  I am a healthy 49 year old. Low oxygen saturation levels at night, normal weight. They did a sleep study and I do not have sleep apnea. I am a shallow breather I guess?  Is this very common in otherwise healthy people? I was just put on 1.5 liters per hour of oxygen at nighttime only.
I was told this could have likely been going on my entire life?
My wife has recently been diagnosed with interstial pulmonary fibrosis, possibly due to her rhuemetoid arthritis and use of metrotrxate. She has never smoked in her life, she is 63 yrs. old. Her oxygen sats are 91% on room air and 98% on 2 liters oxygen at rest, but drops to 78% on 2 liters oxygen with very little exertion. I,m told there is no cure or effective treatment for IPF. Her condition is stable right now but can and will progress at any time. I can,t thank her RA doctor enough for prescribing metrotrexate which causes permanent and irreversable progressive lung damage.
Just a thought....a type of Polycythemia. There's a few types.
What an inspiration. I will show my 20 year old daughter this post.  She has primary pulmonary hypertension and is on oxygen most of the time with Revation which is helping her with breathing and energy. She was also born with many physical defects and has had over 20 surgeries. She is also going to college and has an online Ebay business and helps her mom at school. She now carrries a portable oxygen device. She now knows life is short for all of us and you have to keep on living to the fullest that you can,
I had to have my shoulder replaced, prior to going into Loma Linda on Feb 7th, my oxygen reading wws 87 to 90%
After surgery I've not recovered and I'm on oxygen all the time.if I remove the oxygen now it falls into the 65% to 70%.

Loma Linda just pushed me outbthe door with no oxygen or reason for this, of course todays a holiday. Somethings not right now I'm recovering from a right shoulder replacement and lung issues that we dontbknow why
That is a low oxygen level upon exertion, I would get a Pulmonary function test done.
I just became a member here and read your post. I pray your mom is alright and got through that storm.  Prayers for both of you.
It had no effect on my oxygen level.
If they put you completely under that deteriorates lung function, Always let anestysiologist know if you have COPD they usually won't put you completely under but you won't know what is going on.
Hi,  Check interactions of medication  on Mediguard. This was picked up on my cardiac arrest poor heart pumping to....  if you have been a smoker in uk that is often blamed.
Praying for your Mom...for answers!
I know that you had an old posting but I have a similar situation with a lung disease and noticed recently that my oxygen level has been dropping to 78-82 quite often although when I rest it goes back up the 88-90.  I have oxygen that I use when I feel I need it but it seems that I need it more frequently.  I want to get into some group to get more advise and wondered if you had any more recent updates.
Came across your old posting and I can relate to what you posted.  I was dx 1 1/2 years ago with a lung disease they feel was caused by allergy.  I also have asthma and sleep apnea and wear a cpap at night.  My oxygen levels have been dropping lately to the high 70"s although when I put my oxygen on and sit and rest a bit it will go up to 88-90.  I have not used oxygen at night but think I may need to start.  I was wondering what your status is at this point.  I try to live a normal life but I now have great limitations with my breathing and wonder what my future will be like.
It's normal for anyone with COPD to drop to levels in the 80's. That's not bad however if he exercises every day or goes to a pulmonary rehab twice a week it will increase his endurance and won't drop as much because the muscles in his body along with the heart will require less o2>
My grandmother has emphysema - she was recently diagnosed with pnuemonia. Her blood saturation levels were 68%. She was very weak - sleeping alot - has slurred speech and seems confused. Her blood saturation levels are at 98% now - but her speech and other symptoms havnt really improved. Will it improve - or is it likely permanent damage was caused. I am so worried.
I am 35, non-smoker and became very short of breath where I would do very little and wouldn't be able to catch my breath then I would start coughing and wouldn't be able to stop. It was horrible so I went to the ER and they admitted me. They checked levels for CHF and they were fine. I saw the pulmonologist and he walked me around and my O2 sats dropped while walking to 86. He admitted me to observe my sats during the night. I dropped 20x during the night (not sure if that was per hour) and then they did an echo. They found I have very mild pulmonary htn at 32 and they believe it to be caused by OSA. I am waiting to have the sleep study done since they can't get me in for 3 weeks. In the meantime I am on 2 liters of O2 at night and the same during the day as needed. Well the last 3 days I have needed it around the clock and it makes me very upset. They are thinking that if they get the OSA under control then I will be able to breathe normally during the day. What do you think of this? I get depressed thinking I will need O2 the rest of my life and I am only 35. Thanks for any info.
So do these saturation rates change every 1000 feet or so? In other words, if you are 90% at 10,000 ft, would you be better at 9,000 ft but even better at 8,500 and then 8000 etc. Is there a way to tell what is a "safe" elevation to live at?
I'm 72 and was on oxygen at night until about 18 mos. ago when I noticed I felt horrible the next morning.  Did a bit of research and found there's such a thing as "too much oxygen" which can act as a kind of poison; I began cutting back and now use it mainly in the summer mos. when my COPD really weighs me down.  Otherwise I rely on my lungs and don't worry too much about oxygen levels; I figure at my age, something's always gonna be 'wrong', I ain't no Spring Chicken no more..., and neither are you, Banjo....
I would like to join this group.  My o2 levels range from 92 to a couple of times in the 60's.  We used 6 different kinds of oximeters, two at home,one at my dr that was not the kind we used at home.  I was walking around his office and it was 71. I went to the emergency room  it dropped into the 60's with their machine but it always goes up and down.  The lung specialist that came in said that the machines are all wrong. He said that he has never, in 25 years of practicing medicine, seen it so it is impossible. I had a sleep study done two weeks ago but have not gotten the report yet.  I take a lot of pain medicine for chronic back pain.  I'm wondering if it's caused by that.  I'm beginning to get scared.  I was in the hospital for 3 days and nights but am still looking for answers and a good dr.  Please help!  Sandy
I was just reading your comments from 2015 and was wondering how you are doing? What did your sleep study reveal? Chronic pain medications CAN cause shortness of breath.
I have the exact same thing, low oxygen level 84 and nobody knows why.  All my tests show normal.  So, l'm on oxygen with no reason why.....I have had every test there is and they all show normal.....

***@****

THANKS......
You can get a pulse oximeter at Walmart for about $30