Respiratory Disorders Community
Low Oxygen Saturation Level

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

pete what's your email address? i have similar problem as yours with central chest pain during inhalation and continous progressive breathing problem for over 1.5 years and lots of other symptoms. please do drop me a line my email address ***@****

-Zoe

Low Oxygen Saturation Level

Wondering if anyone has experienced low oxygen saturation levels?  I went to a pulmonary specialist for a consult on sleep apenea.  Took the pulse, blood pressure, etc. and then said "ohhh your oxygen saturation level is 84%.  Kind of low."  He then set me up for a sleep study.  Anyone else experience the same?
My father-in-law just had the same reading.  The Dr ordered a pulse-ox monitor to be brought out by a nurse, and he wore it all night.  Then nurse came and picked it up the next day.  Today they brought oxygen out and he wears it during sleeping hours to help him feel better.  
Check with your Dr, ask him or her about your concerns and how you feel.
I too had a low oxygen level reading of 84. My dr immediately put me in the hospital to be monitored. I stayed overnight with intravenous and the whole nine yards. I did have a lung infection at the time. The reason being is I have copd. From what I understand it used to be that 90 was acceptable for an oxygen reading depending on whether you have lung problems smoke etc. Now they want your reading to be 100. That is for a normal person who is in excellent condition non smoker etc. Remember your oxygen level does go up and down daily like your blood pressure depending on your activity level. The point of the reading is if it goes down it comes back up to an acceptable reading 90 preferably or more.YOu don't want a constant low reading. I went to rehab for exercises to improve lung function and was monitored and the oxygen level would go down and up depending on what I was doing at the time. So now the bottom line is you want an acceptable blood pressure and oxygen reading when you are checked. Just one more thing to worry about.
I have low oxygen saturation (88-93).  So far I have taken pulmonary function test, blood work, Chest CT scan, heart echo and another sleep test.  i have heart disease, diabetes, and sleep apnea.

I am not sure what is happening.  I am short of breath and sleeply all the time.  Everybody seems like I should be on oxygen but my doctor is first trying to find out why I have low oxygen saturation.

Any ideas what is going on?

Bill
HI NOT TO WORRY YOU OR ANYTHING, but your sleepiness is a sign of lack of energy and oxygen, shortness of breath is deffinatley to do with your heart disease and lungs, as you have heart disease you heart has to work faster than normal which will make you more out of breathe! have you been checked out for copd? have you had time in hospital treatment and had your blood gases done at all?i dont see 88/93% been that low, my dad has copd his sats go to 59% now thats something to worry about
It is BAD for your body to have oxygen saturation levels below 90% for an extended period of time, as it stresses your body and organs, including your heart.  Under Medicare & most insurers in the US, you qualify for supplemental O2 if your oxygen saturation levels drop to 88% or lower during sleep, exertion or sitting.  Your doctor should prescribe it & you should use it as prescribed.

Folks who have sleep apnea need a device/machine such as a bi-pap or c-pap to help keep their airway open while they sleep and may not need supplemental oxygen.  A good sleep clinic should be able to test to be sure that you have the device that keeps your oxygen at or above 90% and any needed supplemental oxygen.

Losing a significant amount of weight (10%) in overweight patients may help with sleep apnea.  The sleep clinic or physicians may have additional suggestions.

Saturation levels between 95-100% at sea level are considered "normal."  At 5000 feet elevation, oxygen saturation rates between 90-95% are considered "normal."  Saturation levels can & do fluctuate a bit, but should still be maintained at or above 90%.  During infections, it is possible for patients to need supplemental oxygen and once the infection is over no longer need it, but that's something the doctor needs to decide.

It is not normal for folks with healthy lungs to have trouble keeping their oxygen saturation level above 95 % all of the time and the root cause definitely needs to be explored.  Emphysema, chronic bronchitis, sleep apnea are all some reasons folks have trouble keeping their saturation levels at or above 90%; your doctor can help sort all of this out if you persist and work with him/her.
Hi, I just wanted to put my 2 bits in.    To me, 84-88% oxygen sats is pretty low.  According to what we've been told 96 or above is normal, usually 98+ but then 92-95 can be dead normal if you are elderly or chronically diseased in some way (emphysema, heart disease, sleep apnoea etc etc.)  So yeah, below 90 is a worry, the doctors are probably so used to it that they don't react anymore!

The other thing I wanted to say was with supplementing oxygen, this can be problematic when emphysema is involved.  Usually, when our brain detects high levels of carbon dioxide, it triggers us to breathe.  However, people with emphysema operate differently.  because they retain so much CO2 (as they can't fully empty their lungs), their brain's signal to breathe is low levels of oxygen (rather than high CO2).  This can be problematic when supplementing oxygen therapy as it can have the opposite effect.  I can see that causing arguments between a doctor and someone who desperately needs oxygen!

My Wife is currently in the hospital for the 3rd time in the last 3 years for low O2 Saturation. The only time this happens is when she gets a cold. Doctors can't seem to figure it out and each time she goes she gets diagnosed with something else. When I took her to the ER yesterday, her O2 Sat. was 84% and her HR was 154. The last time she was at the hospital she was there for 6 days and was released when her O2 Sat. was 94 without Oxygen. Has anyone dealt with this situation? My E-mail address is ***@****. Thank you for any replies.
What else can this be? 6 months ago, my 62 year young twin went to have a shingles shot. Her GP did routine blood tests and called at 8:30 at night to have her undergo phlubotomy. SHE HAS ABSOLUTELY NO SYMPTIOMS EXCEPT THE OXYGEN/diffusion - NO TIREDNESS,COUGHING,WHEEZING,SELLING IN ANKLES, CHEST PAIN,SHORTNESS OF BREATH.,Hemotologist did 1 1/2 months of testing and said not in blood, bone marrow, etc. Oxygen saturation was LOW, so placed on oxygen 24/7.   Blood gasses reflection low 02 and low CO2. Size of blood cells dropped below 50.  Sent to Pulmonologist. Low diffusion and saturation suggested COPD, but her lung function was 115% of normal (so very mild) Put on Advair and Spyriva...1 month later, diffusion dropped! But lungs were always clear, functioning at over 100%.  Sent for every test you can imagine - from CT angiogram, etc. to CT chest - no shunts, no embolisms, fibrosis,etc. Oxygen level at night 98% (no not apnea). After two ecocardiograms and a 5 bubble echos-no hole in heart. Pulminologist has ruled out COPD as a major factor due to her excellent lung function (lungs are very elastic, etc.) .  If it isn't her lungs, her bone marrow, or her heart, what elso can it be?
Remember it isn't a shut...she's been checked from her brain to her toes and all major organs...Help!
Could be something related to your heart too and not your lungs. If your heart isn't pumping effectively you could have low oxygen levels as well.
My 20 yr. ld daughter had her oxygen level tested at nursing school and it read a 91 first and then a 93.  They asked her if she smoked and she never has.  She is an avid runner and does cardio everyday.  She works in a fitness gym and is in perfect shape.  Should I be concerned?  What is a normal reading for this age?  Please let me know.
I am 46 years old and have been in excellent health until recently.  I am a runner, swimmer, and I lift weights 2-3 times a week.  Running 3-4 miles 3-4 days a week.  Recently my running has become difficult due to shortness of breath.  I had a stress test.  Heart was O.K. but my oxygen saturation dropped to 87 upon exertion after 12 min. on the treadmill at a pretty steep grade.  Anyone else out there my age with this going on?  I do not have chronic bronchitis and am a non-smoker.
Get the serum iron and ferriten levels checked.  A low oxygen level could be due to low iron that's NOT always detected by a HGB or HCT reading on a routine blood check and Dr's. don't usually run these tests. Also anxiety can lower your reading as well.  These saturation tests measure the amount of hemoglobin (oxygenated cells) that are flowing through your bloodstream.

Even with iron treatment the sats may be low, but that's where the anxiety level may be coming in, whether the fingers were cold when the test is taken, or various other factors.  I have a problem with iron where my body doesn't want to store it so I have to take an iron supplement daily.  

If you check your iron and everything is normal then you might want to check with a pulmonologist or another Dr. to be sure you don't have sleep apnea or a mild case of asthma, which these can also cause lower sats.
  I had the sleep apnia (apnea) test done. I was fine there but my oxgen level was 85. I now sleep with oxygen level No 2. I guess 2 liters. I slept great the 2nd night but now I am not and feel terrible I get up. I am a smoker and know I should quit but that is easier said then done. Is it the smoking that makes me feel so bad. No energy and I feel funny. I am 73 and felt better except for shortness of breath and taking naps before all this. I am also nauseaded. Help !
I have Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension.  The only way this can be diagnosed is by Right or Left Heart Catheterization.  It is a lung disease that results in right heart failure if left untreated.  It can be Primary or Secondary to something else that is going on.  My O2 levels are always 85 and below on room air.  I am on O2 24/7 at 3L and at 4L at night.  I have no sleep apnia (apnea).  My symptoms were shortness of breath on limited excercise, like climbing stairs or walking across the room.  Rapid heart beat.  Heaviness in my chest.  If you suspect you have this, PLEASE consult your doctor.  It is a killer.  It is high blood pressure in the lungs and high pressure in the pulmonary artery only.
My Mother is 59yrs old. She has diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea. She was diagnosed with pneumonia on 7/29/07 after being seen in ER for a high fever. She had no other symptoms at that time. Was given Z-Pak and sent home. Shortly after starting Z-Pak she starting coughing and aching all over and wheezing.  Over the last 3 months, she has been given Z-Pak 2 times, Keflex, Claritin, Mucinex, Advair and she is still not any better. Mucinex did loosen up phlem(sp) and has gotten up quite a bit of thick green phlem(sp), she was told that was her problem. On 10/29/07 she still was not better, if fact she has gotten worse over the past few weeks. That night she coughed so hard she turned purple. I took her to ER where her oxygen saturation was 82%,she was admitted and has been given several test including CT scan of Lungs, Pulminary Function Test and UltraSound of Legs to see if she has blood clots. She was put on O2 24/7, that night her breathing became more labored and O2 was put up to 6L and oxygen sat was 78%. She has gotten worse over the last few hours and now O2 is on 9L and oxygen sat is 75%. Does anyone know what the cause of this could be? The Doctors are not even sure what is causing this. Please help. Thanks
Okey dokey. There are several possible etiologies.It is necessary to know blood pressure and pulse rate to make any sort of comment. In the right and left carotid arteries there are two (count em) sensors, which provide feedback that controls the breathing and heart rate to produce an acceptable P02 level.  They also sense C02.  A failure of these sensors is a primary cause of low P02. Often these sensors become covered with fatty deposits, or become inactivated through constant excessive smoking. An ultrasound will sometimes (but not always) identify this anomaly. There are surgical and pharmaceutical options. There are several other possibilities. I would suggest getting a pulse oximeter (about$200) and then take an"albuterol challenger". A mean of differential diagnosis for those physicians who did not attend medical school in the Trobriand Islands. Spray an albuterol inhaler into the lungs and see if there is a significant increase in P02. This would suggest the problem is in the blood transfer mechanism in the lungs.
Early this morning after posting this about my mother, I got called by her Nurse. My mother was admitted into ICU, her oxygen stat continued dropping, even with O2 on 9L. She is now on 100% oxygen 16L I believe, her oxygen stat is going up and down between 84-92, which is better. She is a non-smoker. Her pulse is 52, and her blood pressure is 139/72. Any ideas? Thanks
I am 30 and had a cold about 6 weeks ago, and was having shortness of breath.  My resting oxygen sats are 93-96, but they did a bunch of tests including an echo, CT scan, pulmonary function tests, and chest xray.  They think I have COPD or emphysema.  I am freaking out.  My sats drop to high 80's during exertion, but they think this is very rare for my age.  I am exploring some holistic methods of treatment, I am still not convinced that I have emphysema..I have always been very active, and I think the stress of the doctors is making my condition as bad as it is!
My doctor told me this week that my saturation level was 77.  I have has a soft, persistant ache in my heart for months now. I have asked my own primary care provider for an extensive evaluation of my heart and she reluctantly ordered a full exam next week. " I don't think this has anything to do with your heart.  If it doesn't then we will have to look into other possibilities." she said.  If it doesn't then we will have to look into other possibilities.  I am very, very anxious about this as I have severe sleep apnea and my husband is not supportive.  It has helped me a lot just to read the comments of others.  Trudi
I am glad that your doctor finally relented to doing tests on your heart. What tests did she order (hopefully a stress test and echo are included in them!). As for other considerations, a full PFT (pulmonary function test) should be done with at least an xray to begin with. This could easily be lungs or heart, even both. That ache in your heart could mean that there isn't enough oxygen going to that organ, it is starving for O2. Did your doctor put you on O2 based on those sats? I sure hope so....77 is pretty low.
Be very persistant with your doc, it is in your best interest to be your own best health advocate. IF she doesn't take you seriously, then it is time to find another doctor.
I am sorry that your husband isn't very supportive, I understand how you feel. My ex was not even close to being in my corner when I was going though all that I was....going on O2, then BiPAP and finally vented. Do you have family members or close friends that you can lean on during periods of uncertainty and anxiety?
One more question...are you being treated for your sleep apnea with either a CPAP or BiPAP. You probably are...I am wondering if you keep your sats up at nightime these days even with CPAP. Something to consider...
I hope that you get answers soon...Sunny
I suddenly became very sick mid december 2007 with short of breath my O2 was 57. I was at my docs office and she called an ambulance and I was admitted to the ICU for 4 days. I was put on 24/7 O2 which seems to help a bit. I have an underlying history of a heart arrythmia and also a blood clotting disorder Protein C/S deficiency. I was referred to a pulmonary doctor who is frustrated because I am not getting better even while being on a multitude of drugs. Also, because he feels I have COPD  but am not responding as he thought I would. I am pressing for another opinon since I was told I am already in end-stages of COPD and Right Heart Failure. My pulmo doctor isn't in agreement and thinks I should try more drugs and make more tests. Anyone else going through this?
Please let me know..
P
I am a 46 yr old male I quit smoking 6 yrs ago smoked 2 packs a day like an idiot for 28 yrs. No offense to any still smoking. I quit smoking because I felt like I couldn't get a deep breath but every 5/6 breath.I waited until July 2007 to finally go to the doctor. My mother and brother have asthma and my Dr said I had it also. He also ordered a sleep study. I was told I had a mild cause of apnea. I have been using a c-pap and have lost 35 lbs  (down to 280 lbs). I understand the weight thing is not good. I took upon myself to get a oxgen  meter and have found my levels have dropped lowest 83 %  without  88% with c-pap. I have been walking 3 miles a day EVERY DAY and am determined to take the weight off. Shouldn't I be seeing some improvement. I have also had stress test ,lung function test and they came back great.  Blood Pressure runs 125/68 to 130/ 72 Pulse rates 59  to 68. I feel great but am concerned about low O2 levels. Sorry for long question but I have gotten conflicting reports from 3 Dr's. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Are those levels low while you are doing anything such as walking? Or is this at rest? Either way, it wouldn't hurt to relay your findings to your doctor who might do an overnight oximetry test (monitors your O2 level the entire night) with CPAP on. If your levels are consitantly low, then you might need O2 bleed in with your CPAP. If your levels are low when you exercise, have the doctors monitor your oxygen levels while on a treadmill for a minimum of 6 minutes. Again, if the levels remain low, they may prescribe the O2. I am very happy to see that you have quit and are taking such an initiative in regaining your health and fitness..I know how hard that is to do. Over time, hopefully after you have dropped some more weight, your sleep apnea will get better. I have seen people come off of CPAP after significant weight loss, so please keep up the good work.
Hpe this helps...Sunny
Is this during the day that the O2 level drops or at night?  I had a sleep study done a month ago.  My neurologist told me that my O2 level dropped to 87% in the night so ordered another sleep study this time with a CPAP mask on.  Can't wait. :(  
My husband gets really short of breath of a night.  He has high blood pressure and high cholesterol, but takes medication for it.  He gets little sharp pains in his chest.  He says it feels like something is sitting on his chest and he can't get a deep breath.  He has had multiple blood tests done, which have all been fairly good.  Do you have any ideas or suggestions of what the prob could be?  If you could assist me in any way, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
I had a sleep apnea test done last week, and then a nap study the next day.  The tech came in after the night study and said, "We really didn't notice anything abnormal.  And besides, you don't look like the typical sleep apnea patient" (I'm 5'2" and 103lbs).  So I left assuming that I'd never figure out why I have felt the constant need for naps and extra sleep every since I was a teenager (I'm now 32).  I didn't even call the Dr.'s office to find out the "official" results.

Today, however, the Dr's office called and said that they wanted to do a second sleep study because I had 50 episodes of hypopnea and hypoxia--that my O2 saturation had gone as low as 81%.

I really hope and pray that I get some answers after this 2nd study.  After about 17 years, I'm desperate to feel rested and productive!

You are correct.  I have undergone every type of test imagineable and was not diagnosed properly until I had a right heart catheterization (Left heart catheterization will not reveal).  When I walked any distance (50 - 100 feet) my oxygen would drop to 84 - I know now that I have pulmonary arterial hypertension secondary to diastolic dysfunction and am on oxygen both day and night.

Now my greatest challenge is how to do the housework I need to do without falling over the tubing.
What you need to get is helios, it is a liquid oxygen that is in a very light weight unit and it has a strap like a purse.  If your O2 provider has not given you one of these, request it, if they don't have it, find out who does.  I know that Lincare is all over the place and they carry it.  My husband has the large liquid unit that he gets his O2 from strictly for portable and then he has the concentrator.  We actually have three tubes we use for the concentrator, the one to his bi-pap, he has a bleed in of O2 at night, he has one that goes downstairs, we keep the tubing at the top of the stairs, and he has one for upstairs.  He actually doesn't need oxygen when sitting, so most of his daytime oxygen is the helios.  The helios is a pulse, and some people have to have a constant flow.  Good luck.
Help!

I am a 42 year old female that has never smoked but started having problems with my breathing in 2005 went to pulmonary doctor they found nothing. As the years passed it has got worse so I went to a new family doctor who sent me to a cardiologist he did a work up on my heart found nothing until he did a stress test on a treadmill with the oxygen meter and my oxygen drop in the first phase, they made me stay on for 8 minutes in which my oxygen dropped to 71, he did a CT of the heart, CA and found nothing and he told me Friday nothing is wrong with the heart he can't help me. He didn't even tell me anything new to go try or what I should do next. So please anyone give me suggestions I feel like giving up I am out of breath, tired all the time, headaches, muscle sore, and overall feel bad.

Tammy
Actually you should keep inquirying about this. Personally it sounds like you need to be on 02. Maybe I'm wrong, but my 02 drop when I exercise as well, but I do have a heart and lung disorder, but even so they claim that it's mild.  So get another opinion.
esp update about mother...SpO2 levels should be between 90-100. Hospital standards vary, so it is also said to be in range of 95-100. Some hospitals don't start treatment unless you're under SpO2 of 85. Some start at 90. Your mother's pulse of 52 is low, could be related to oxygen level. The pulse should range between 60-100 bpm (beats per min) Her systolic BP (top number of blood pressure) is high, so she's pre-hypertensive. Blood pressure should be less than 120/80. 120-139 is pre-hypertensive, 140+ is hypertensive. Diastolic less than 80 is normal. Over 80 is pre-hypertensive. Her diastolic is lower than 80, so that means that the relaxation phase of the heart contraction is normal. Her systolic BP is high, so her heart is having to pump harder. Problem could be from low SpO2 b/c of the lack of oxygen being brought to the cells and the body is trying to comensate.

I'm not knowledgeable on sleep apnea and the effect it has on these measures but sleep apnea is due to a period of 10 secs or more at which there's a lack of airflow. That could definitely be related to the SpO2 level during sleep.

I am a 1st semester nursing student! Hope this helps!
  I was one of the cases that didn't fit the typical sleep apnea type.  Most snore or where heavy.  I would drop between 80-85 level.  My issue was a would breathe very shallow when asleep because I would only breathe through my nose and not open my mouth.  They said actually if I opened my mouth or used more air you may have heard a snore.  So I have a C-pap machine since I wasn't a candidate for surgery.  But with my sinus issues and allergies they said if I had my sinus cavieties roto routed out it may help.  
  But when your O2 levels drop it puts stress on your heart.  I've read where persons with sleep apnea that go untreated normally end up with heart disease.  So make sure you get it taken care of!  Better to deal with one problem then to later deal with two!  
I'm a 56 yr old NON smoker, 6' tall weighing 270# who snores.  My wife is telling me she has to wake me up so I will breath.

For about 3 or 4 nights I've sleep with a heart / O2 monitor to see what is happening.  (My wife is a nurse and has access to this machine...she would call it something else but I hope I described it so you can figure out what it is.)  My O2 level will drop while sleeping,  ONE time last night to the high seventies....but probably averages 90....most of the time O2 runs in the low 90's.

My heart rate goes to a low of 47 BPM....

My medications are lisinopril and generic for celexa.  I take some OTC for cholestrol levels, etc.  

About 25 yr ago I had paracarditis (sp?) was in hosp with O2/pulse monitor during the night.  I was told that my BPM would get down to 40ish.  I understood that was due to a healthy heart.  I don't know whether that was true or not....but thought this might give a base line for previous pulse reading.

I would like your suggestions regarding possibly raising my the head of my bed?  Or any other suggestions or questions you have for me.
--
I live here inLincoln  Missouri. When I returned from Iraq, I observed my son struggling to breath as he slept. On Nov 9, 2008 I connected him to an Oximeter and the results were very bad.  My son is six years old.  Sleep APnea, and all signs of congested airway.  His Pediatrion and his mother are ignoring my sons sickness. CHildren who do not get proper treatment may have long term heart desease and or lung problems. One of his edsaturation levels was 60% one was 88% for over three minutes. I have contacted my state rep, governor, senator, etc etc.  I have contacted the news, talk shows etc

My sons health is in danger. If he dies or has long term illness from a lack of proper medical care that would kill me. My contact info is below

E-mail is  ***@****
phone is 660-547-3048 phone or cell is  660-723-4044
www.myspace.com/armyrangerarmyranger
I have had abnormal EEG  in my 20's- petit mal? sleep studies now in my 60's  & apnea in normal range diagnosed 2 years ago  when I also  had cardiac arrest due to oxygen not getting to major organs & brain ? I suspect stroke or multi infart dementia will happen next . Do the cardiologists and neurologist want to know ? Suspect not as ignore  just as ischaemic signalling and stroke symptons ignored before cardiac . Am comotosing daily on eating then extremely weak and confused  which is a problem if dependent on car.But the system says old age  and can't do anything . Has anyone heard of research?
Wow, this is all very informative! I've learned a lot from the postings already.

I'm 66. I've got apnea at night and I have low O2 saturation levels when I move around. Sat level while I'm sitting can be 90 or above, but with any motion or walking it goes down to below 85. I started on portable oxygen about a year ago so I can go shopping and move around my yard.

I bought a rolling walker, called a "Rollator". This is great and allows me to walk more and go shopping more. It has a seat on it, and when I get tired, I can sit down and rest. It cost only $149 and is rated at 300 pounds. I'm about 259 pounds, from lack of exercise during the past several years. Instead of buying an expensive Oxygen tank bag for the Rollator, I use a WalMart $1.00 cloth shopping bag that works just fine. I hang a couple of extra of these bags on the walker to shop with.

I'm going to buy a second Rollator to leave in my front yard, under a plastic cover, so I can go out my front door and walk around my yard, without having to go to the trouble of taking the other walker out of the trunk of my car. I can walk around a little with the Rollator, without the portable oxygen tank. And I can walk much more with the oxygen tank. I recommend a Rollator to people to help them walk better while on portable oxygen.

At age 66 and low oxygen sat, I've had some problems with confusion at times... like "where am I, what town is this" (lol) Also some memory problems. I talked one of my doctors to prescribing Ritalin. This helps sharpen my mind. It must be used with care and not over-used. I take minimum doses when I need to drive into town, 5 mg taken an hour or two before I leave home, and another 5 mg when I start out. It helps me be more alert and less confused. :) Some doctors don't like to prescribe it, since it can become addictive. But also there are other meds that can help cut down on the confusion. You need to see a doctor about some early-stage Alzheimer's tests. Don't be afraid of it. There are other new medications that can help treat the confusion and memory loss.
84 for a low 02 is good compared to what I get. I use oxygen 24/7. I still work, so at times I take off the oxygen. It will go as low as 67 and build up to low 70's. In order for it to et higher, I need to put the oxygen on. I have PAH (pulmonary aterial hypertension) and the meds I am on appear to be working but I can't seem to get the oxygen to improve. My doctor;s and I are working on it. I hope things work out for you.
when you find out what is causing the low 02 sats, please let me know.
I'm a 30 yr old female, non-smoker, and have recently noticed shortness of breath with an oxygen saturation fluctuating between 93-97 with 94 being the average.  This started Monday when I awoke with a horrible pain behind my left thigh.  The pain radiated into my left heel.  I went to the ER and was given the diagnosis of "Sciatica."  The pain has since traveled and is in my left groin and left calf.  CT scans and ultrasound of left leg are normal, but the pain is still there as well as the shortness of breath.  Some say that anything 90 and over is normal and others say 95 and over is normal.  I see my GP doctor tomorrow to discuss the oxygen saturation levels but I have to admit I'm very anxious from all this.   Before Monday, my oxygen saturation has always been 97-100.  Anyone who can relate or share any information would be greatly appreciated.
Wow a lot of misinformation going on in this thread.  First let me tell you I am a Registered Respiratory Therapist.

Oxygen saturations (SpO2), which is measured using a pulse oximeter, should be 90 or above.  This is a percentage of your red blood cells that have oxygen bound to them.  When being given supplimental oxygen, and a patient starts showing SpO2 levels of say 96-100 then we (the RTs) being weaning the extra oxygen off as tolerated until we get the patient to regular room air.  Any saturation under 90 is considered abnormal for which any reading 88 or lower is usually when medicare (and other insurance) will reimburse for home oxygen (but not in the cases of sleep apnea).

caregiver222 is incorrect.  He is talking about the chemoreceptors of oxygen and carbon dioxide which both play a role in our brain's respiratory drive.  Having low oxygen has NOTHING to do with these receptors.  Low O2 is usually caused by a defect in the lungs.  There are many different types and wouldnt do anyone just to go into full length.  Sometimes is from gunk in the lungs called sputum like in cases of pneumonia, othertimes its due to poor air flow in and out such as in COPD (emphysema and such), severe asthma, etc. other times you could have a small clot in the blood vessels of your lungs called a pulmonary embolus, you could have fluid in your lungs from congestive heart failure.  When you have extra junk in your lungs like with pneumonia, that creates addition space the oxygen molecules ahve to go through to get to your blood stream.

Very few people will be 98-100 on regular room air, my own swings between 94-96. Dont sweat if your norm for a week is 97 and then you check it and its 93.....its all good.

When your oxygen saturation starts to go low, your bodies first response will be to INCREASE the heart rate.  This is because it is trying to get the same amount of oxygen around to the rest of your body.  And since the O2 is lower, it has to move more blood, in order to get the same amount.  You probably wont even notice a change in HR even in the 80's, your lips and nailbeds wont start turning blue (cyanosis) until your SpO2 is in the 70-75% range...

If you go to a doc and find your SpO2 is 88% or less and they do not treat it, go see another doctor!  Oxygen isnt just vital for your heart, it is used by every tissue in your body from your skin, brain, muscles, etc.

People who are anemic however may show nice pink lips, have a SpO2 of 98%, but have so very few red blood cells that there is a deficiency in getting enough blood to your entire body (not meant to scare anyone)...just for those who may ask "my spo2 is 100, why do I have to wear oxygen?"....its probably cause your anemic.

Now with all that being said, I've been paged to many a patient's room for low saturations many times and find that the nurse or nurse's aid is using the oximeter incorrectly, or the oximeter isnt getting a good reading.  Sometimes people's fingers might be cold which shrinks the capilaries where the oximeter is reading the blood, or they just have poor perfusion of blood to those areas, etc.

So remember, if in a hospital and in doubt, ask for a RESPIRATORY THERAPIST!  Oxygen, breathing, ventilators, breathing treatments, lung disorders.....we specialize in those areas...nurses are the jack of all trades but when it comes to respiratory stuff we are the kings!  (not just being egocentric either)

If you are at a clinic or doctors office and they arent addressing your breathing or oxygen, then go see a pulmonologist.....if a general physician is the doctor equivalent to a nurse, a pulmonologist is the doctor equivalent of a respiratory therapist.....they are doctors who specialize in the lungs.  Im a firm believer in specialists...heart problems, see a cardiologist, stomach or intestine problems, see a gastroenterologist, eye problems see a optitrician, so lung problems, see a pulmonologist.

People who mentioned sleep apnea, if you have an average of 15 or more apneas (or hyponeas aka AHI) per hour then you are at an increased cardiac risk and should try your very hardest to use a CPAP....it took me a month before I finally got used to wearing it and I have an AHI of 16 considered to be mild borderline moderate apnea.  Not only that but your daytime sleepiness will go down or away completely, and also look up microsleeps.....have been known to cause accidents, one notibly was a subway train accident in new york....
I have COPD ,you are correct.My primary Phy.did not catch my COPD.
I am a diebetic (diabetic) and have heart failure also.
I had a problem getting air volume in Utah on a visit and was sent to emegency.An pulminary dr had exrays taken and lung tests results told me I had COPD.
At nite my o2 drops below 90 .and my heart begins to race. On medicare HMO my primary Phys.is in charge and refuses to get me Oxy.I am in the process of changing HMO's
Does anyonen have any recommendations about finger oximeters?  I did a little research online, it seems the NONIN 9500 is sort of the standard by which all others go by?  It is around $240.   I have also seen models by pulseox and CHECKMATE, but I see mixed reviews on those, and am seeing comments by doctors and nurses that the readings they give don't match medical equipment readings.  Was just wondering if anyone had recommendations.  

Also, with the finger oximeter, if I leave it on while sleeping can I look at readings it gave while I was asleep, or can I only do spotchecks when I am awake?
I am 73, haven't smoked in 40+ years, had six bypasses in May 2006 can walk 1.5 miles on relatively level ground with little trouble. Within last year ort so I seem to have shortness of breath on slight hills and really out of breath in two flights of stairs. Legs & butt really feeling tired.
Sent for echo stress & doc inferred heart was working well but there seemed real concern about shortness of breath-he questioned my smoking 40 yrears ago. MY doc hasn't responded to this echo stress report yet, I am really concerned but don't know where to turn, thought I was doing well NOW not sure
I'm going to agree with Ruthven78. Here's what I had recently gone through. I do have COPD, also Raynauds. My MD sent me to a pulmonary spec. and he used the oximeter and my reading dropped from 97 at rest to 82 (jogging down the hallway, duh). At the time my hands/fingers were VERY cold.  As such he wrote a script for 02, which my insurance would not cover, so I did not get. BUT I did get a good oximeter. When my hands are warm, not nervous, my readings are 96 at rest and 90-93 after moving furniture, exercising, etc. But haven't jogged since docs visit!! I have to add, I am 51 and still working, I deliver home heating oil, and yes, at times I get very short of breath with long hose drags and bitter cold temps.
You've helped me understand a lot of my issues.  Thanks very much for your Jan 24 08 feed.  I recently had a CT scan followed by my
pcp, an internist,  advised I have pulminary fibrosis.  My Pulminologist ordered the CT but he made no mention of the lung problem found in the scan.  I've ordered a fingertip oximeter to keep track of the O2 level.

Thanks again for your input.
wa5rlb
I'm 27 years old, somewhat overweight, but relatively physically active. I've got asthma, but it's never caused me much of a problem - reactive to chemicals, but not so much to physical activity (unless it's very cold outside).
I had a baby three months ago, and at that time my o2 was at about 93-94, which has always been normal for me.
Two weeks ago I was having severe shortness of breath, along with a 103+ degree fever and some nausea and vomiting. I went to my GP and my o2 was around 85, and went up to 91-92 with deep breathing. He sent me home with another albuterol inhaler, but also ordered an overnight oximetry study. He suggested that I might need to go on a daily asthma medication, but did not want to do that straightaway because of the steroidal transference through breastmilk.
I did the overnight study, and my o2 was down around 68 and never got higher than 80, so I've been prescribed 2L oxygen overnight.

I don't have any tightness in my chest, which is usually an issue when the asthma is causing problems. I feel fairly decent, except that I'm always dead-tired and frequently headachey. Until all of this, I had assumed that that was because I'm breastfeeding an infant!

Certainly not looking for a diagnosis, but any ideas on possible causes of such low sats in an otherwise healthy, non-smoking (never smoked), moderately active 27 year old female? Also - what can I do to try to rectify this situation? I certainly know that losing 30lbs will probably help immensely, but aside from the baby weight gain, which I lost within three weeks of his birth, my weight has been steady for the last five years, so I don't know why it would suddenly be such an issue.

Thanks so much!
I am a healthy 58 yo woman.  I am of normal weight.  I was dx with sleep apnea and tried to use a CPAP, but could not adapt. My husband is a Doctor and said that, at times, I don't breath for up to 50 seconds. (He wakes me up a lot!) My pulmonologist ordered an overnight pulse oximeter test.  My O2 levels dropped to 60!!!! She is worried about me getting pulmonary hypertension and put me on 2 liters of O2 via nasal cannual beginning tonight. I am worried that I won't be able to tolerate that even. (For the CPAP I tried for a whole week - twice and absolutely could not sleep.) I do have PTSD. Has anyone had  bimaxillary advancement surgery?
Not wanting to put down the doc, but I also had the same situation about 3 months ago. Pulm. doc literally almost ran be up and down the hall and said , oh your 02 dropped to 83. Mmmm, don't run for a living. So, he wanted me to go on 02 and quit my job! ! ! !
Needless to say, my insurance would not pay for the 02, so I purchased an oximeter to keep track of my levels. I did not quit my job, delivering home heating oil. My reg. md, added spiriva to my advair. My lowest 02 now was 92, that was after working! ! ! ! My normal is 95-98. And he wanted me to go on disability? I would never have been approved. They also wanted to do a sleep test, I told them forget it. My levels have been fine.  

This was my 2 cents worth.
I have  emphysema ,and am always searching for more information on this sight, especially about oxygen sats,I would just like to say' thank you' for your very informative post, it has cleared up many problematic questions that I haven't been able to find answers to.
I have previously been diagnosed with heart failure, but now is considered non-existant to mild. I have had beathing problems and a sleep study was done. My oygen levels dropped to 59% during rim sleep. I have just gotten a CPAP  machine. Will I also need oxygen? What does this mean? Thank you.
So many of these symptoms are so familiar...........something some of you may check into is Sarcoidosis. I had the oxygen issues, shortnessof breath, puemonia that wouldn't get better, weight loss, fatigue, sleep apnea issues and was finally diagnosed with Sarcoidosis, which usually isn't diagnosed except by accident or by xray following a bad lung illness. Some of you may check into this for answers, it took several hospital stays, lots of meds, a lung biopsy and lots of tests to finally run this down for me, but I feel the diagnosis probably spared my life.
I'm on a CPAP machine for 12 years because of sleep Apnea. I also have Sarcoidosis. I feel fine. I just a letter from my pulmonary doctor asking me to see him based upon my most recent CPAP readings.

Should I be concerned? This is the first time I ever got a letter.
I have: sleep apnea, hypertension, traumatic asthma, one stint and one other 50% clogged small artery, I use a CPaP, I have chronic bronchitis
August 09, I started having shortness of breath-asthma attacks-I was on symbacort, stopped, OCT. 09, hospitalized 3 times-no motility in esophagus and achalasia-I lost 30 #s unable to eat or drink. Later in OCT, I was diagnosed with rabdomylosis-cause medication while hospitalized-renal failure resulted.
Nov. 09, started to have shortness of breath-metered exhaling was 2/3 of normal, chest x-ray is clear. Eventually put on nebulizer and advair. Breathing was easier. BP was strange-no longer controlled: systolic 130-208, diastolic stayed 75-79, Heart rate-102-151b/m. Put on new bp med-previous med (beta blocker was thought to be cause of breathing prob., HR-74-115 went down, bp still high systolic with diastolic now 69-92, O2 saturation test done at night with and without CPAP, then I did one during the day when I was dizzy. In all cases it was 100-77% up and down every few minutes sitting, standing , laying and with exercise. Right before, I had a constant rash on my face and neck-I thught it was BP-then it went all over my body, my skin burned and itched. I was put on oxygen at night-waiting for day o2.
Any suggestions, I'm called olpoohky and can be found at ya and hoo, please contact
I am also anemic and have a high CO2 level with recent low renal function having blood result indicating renal failure/hugh protein levels in the blood and other readings are abnormal
i had an echocardiogram which showed a heart valve leak and pulomanary hypertension ...i have had shortness of breath...almost passing out swollen legs and ankles,extreme fatigue ,and chest pains and a weight feeling on my chest...i started physio i went on the treadmill on level ground...was suppose to be for 5 mins at the lowest speed 0.5...turtle speed lol...the physio therapist whipped me off at 3 mins said my heart rate went up to 120 and as soon as my heart rate went up my c02 dropped to 80 and my heart beat remaind weak the whole time even when the rate went up,which she said normally when your rate goes up the heart beats stronger she says i can not go for walks or any exersion without a monitor on and under her supervision...i am now being taken serious by my dr and being sent to a pulomanary hypertension clinic...
Not to toot my own horn but have many issues that deal with my physical body.  Not only am I among plenty of you who have a low O2 stat, me ranging from 83-85% on a good day but I've had it all.  I was born a blue baby, and at the age of five I had open heart surgery.  The cardiac surgeons performed a Pulmonary artery atresia on me.  They inserted a stent or shunt so I can receive more oxygen from where the valve to my left lung was not fully formed, hence blue baby.  True, couldn't do over active activities, but I coped and lived with it.  I taught my body what its' limitations were.  At the age of seven my lungs collapsed for no apparent reason, which brought it to an ultimate low.  My O2 stat was a 81-83% with 4L of oxygen.  They performed an catherization, and numerous angiograms that I lost count.  It brought my O2 stats back to normal, if you can call 83-85% normal that's with 3L of oxygen.  At age 11 I had a stroke due to a brain abscess.  How lucky am I to have to major artery complications.  Therefore three major brain surgeries were performed on me.  My right side was fully paralyzed due to the stroke.  I think my O2 stats were around 81-84% with oxygen.  Being in the hospital recuperating did me some good.  I'm not going to bore you with the details, but I coped and taught myself how to deal with my physical issues by knowing my limitations.  My doctors said that it doesn't look good for me after my stroke, because of my heart defect as well.  It may cause too much baring and pressure.  They told my parents I'll be lucky if I had two years to live because of dyer health issues.  But what did I know.  All I knew was that I was sick and paralyzed so I had to something about it, therefore I did.  I proud to say that I am now approaching my 31st birthday and walking.  Earned two college diplomas going three.  Yes, I still have breathing problems, who doesn't on this site.  When I get a bad cold I'm sometimes hospitalized because my O2 stats go way below normal, like 76-79%, then I get seizures.  Lack of oxygen to the brain hence seizures.  But that happens fairly rarely. I'm on oxygen, but I rarely use it, only when needed.  I understand that I'm fairly sick, but I've lived and coped with my "sickness" all my life.  I'd like to say to all of you people who low O2 stats, don't let it rule your life.  Learn and know your limitations and go on living a next to normal life.  At least that's what I do.  
So much of what I have read here really concerns me.  If you really want good information about the effects of low oxygen saturation just check out the blog posts in the oxygen category at http://HeartFailureSolutions.com

It's a matter of science.  Deny your body the oxygen it needs and you will suffer the consequences.

Concern does you no good if you are not making changes to better your health.

Be well,
Carrie Tucker RCP
Just some background: I am 25, i have a neuromuscular disease called Distal Spinal Muscular Atrophy. I am ambulatory, but don't do much walking as I get fatigued and / or winded. I also am on Atenelol for hypertension, and use a bipap at night. I have been having dizzy spells. I saw the doc a week or so ago. He just said my BP was too low and halved my dose of atenelol. I'm having trouble figuring out what is related to what as far as my symptoms. I know I have been having morning headaches off and on for a while, which is a sign of poor oxygenation during the night. I had my pulmonary function tested like a year or so ago, I can't imagine that it declined that much. They recommended some kinda physical therapy for my breathing, but I never made the time for it. My dizzyness is almost always when i change positions, so I can't explain that. I've had this random bloodshot eye for a long time, which is much much worse now, like every day. My thought is that if my breathing was causing the bloodshot eye (which has a headache of its own, right above it sometimes) that it would likely be both eyes equally effected. As it is, my right eye is almost exclusively effected. I also saw an eye doctor last week and he said my eyes are fine, but likely dry. I made an appointment w/a neurologist at OHSU, but the soonest I could get in is June eighth. Last PFT showed like.. 30% FVC, which I know is low, but for someone with a neuromuscular disease, isn't unusual or alarming. Any insight is helpful. Thanks.
-Floyd
I don't even know if my issue is respiratory or cardiac or neither to be honest. Just trying to sort through it. I know I don't drink enough non-caffeinated liquids, is that a possible cause? A few months ago, i had chest pain when inhaling, and the doc said i had pleurisy. But that was months ago, so I assume that isn't related.
I hope you have found a new doctor and that you are still alive!

84% is a LOT low.  So low it will weaken your heart muscle and contribute to heart failure, as well as cause your heart to spontaneously stop from vagal stimulation, which happens when your oxygen level is too low.

It is a very scary testimony that you went to a pulmonary specialist and he let you leave his office with that low oxygen level.  I'm not one to advocate suing, but a doctor giving advice that dangerous should have to pay a very high price for his incompetence.

Come by Heart Failure Solutions and read.  You need to know what your doctor apparently does not!
I am 54-year-old quadriplegic and I've been sleeping with a bipap for the last 10 months. I've noticed that my breathing is a lot shallower than it used to be and I often have difficulty getting a deep breath. My pulmonologist had my 02 checked while I'm sleeping and 22% of the time I was below 90%.  As a result he wants me to go on oxygen at night.  I've scheduled another appointment to see him, because I would like to know the underlying cause of the problem before simply treating it with oxygen. It is my hope that I can do some exercise and avoid having to start on oxygen. If I do have to go the oxygen route, is it possible to go off of it or is it that once you're on it you have to stay on it? I don't want to become "addicted" if there's a chance that I don't need to stay on oxygen once the underlying cause has been determined.
I am 57.  Except for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and bilateral hip replacements, I was in decent health.  Because of an aquired chronic cough 12 years ago, I began a round of testing for allergies and Asthma for years.  Everything was negative.  Finally more detailed test showed Asthma.  I did a sleep study and oximeter at home which showed I had both kinds of Apnea. Began CPAP at night. Oximeter test showed 85%-95% sat when awake and just vegging, but went down to 48%-55% during sleep!  In comes the oxygenator for night time.  I cried and cried over that.  But I felt like I was reborn.  No more danger while driving, severe body pain, dizziness while shopping.
A few years later, found that flying for over an hour or going up in altitude gave me hypoxia.  Lips turned blue, words slurred, could not eat or walk straight.  Battery of tests: Pulmonary, cardiac, and even a cardiac cath.  No hole in heart, no Pulmonary Hypertension, no valve problems.  So they think it's in my brain.  Neurologist and his scans, tests, MRI....suspect Myasthenia Gravis, but comes out negative.  So, I'm left with Apnea, not breathing in enough oxygen, losing saturation when I do anything, such as vacume, make my bed, walk in the grocery store.  I carry oxygen in little pack in my car but never use it.
Kinda afraid to go to the mall if husband not with me.  Cannot be around strong odors like smoke, perfumes, cleaning fluids.  If I am, I start coughing, choking, and sometimes cannot catch my breath even to drink water.  Very frightening.  As soon as I can, I use a rescue inhaler.  Sometimes, you just have to live as best you can.  Our medical science is not sophisticated enough to diagnose or cure some things yet, so you have to find things to enjoy and try not to feel like an ***. I look like I'm in my mid 30's, so people think I'm just a hypochondriac.  But I feel like I'm in my mid 80's, and I used to be a nurse, so I know. It does get depressing.
Pulmonary Hypertension is a relatively undiagnosed progressive disease that has no cure.  It is high blood pressures in the lungs.  It affects both young and old and can stand alone as a diagnosis as well as be associated with other diseases (i.e. congenital heart defects, lupus, HIV etc.) Pleae make sure to ask your doctor if it could be Pulmonary Hypertension.  Extensive info can be found at www.phassociation.org
Do this pranayam to increase your oxygen level and the rest will be taken care of by the body.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
If you have had a decrease of lung function, shortness of breath with exertion, do not smoke please have a simple blood test for Alpha One Antitrypsin.  Inherited emphysema, it is rare, but grossly under diagnosed.  Many times adult onset asthma, second hand smoke, etc.  There is no cure, but there is help through the Alpha One Foundation.  It is a simple blood test and it is free through the Foundation. Most people who are finally diagnosed have seen at least six doctors and had numerous misdiagnoses  I thought I was out of shape.  I used to be able to bike, swim, jog, but ran out of breath as I aged.  
Can someone help as i have a 4yr old son who wakes up at 2-4 am every night he was sent to ENT who looked at his tonsils which are all normal, they have given us a sleep study mechine and his o2 are reading between 82 and 90 is that normal. Any advice would be grat

many thanks heidi
Let your son do the anulom vilom pranayam for 5 minutes, twice a day.This will bring up the oxygen level and give him better,restful  sleep.
See my post of October 8, 2010.
i am 32 yrs old i am about 135 lbs overweight i have sleep apnea and use an apap machine at night but in the last year i have had to go to the er for chest pains both times i started to fall asleep in the er and my Oxygen level dropped until i woke up but the 2nd time they had already put me on oxygen for safety they said but my level still dropped. is that normal?
i do have COPD as well
hi i have been fighting daytime sleepiness and very low energy for most of my life a lot of nights i sleep like 17 or more hours straight and never wake up rested i had a sleep study done at night and it showed nothing so they did 1 during the day where they had me nap 5 times and said i had idiopathic hypersomnia they tried a few medicines to wake me but they did not help they did another sleep study where i slept all day after sleeping all night and called me saying i have mild sleep apnea and my oxygen level went to 92 but is normally between 97 and 100 is it normal to be that sleepy and very low energy with just mild apnea? or is it like my family all says that i have a case of the lazys
I'm a 65 yo female.  I've been having memory and dizziness on standing/looking up for YEARS. Told my doc way back when that I felt I wasn't getting enough oxygen. Pulm Function looked normal. Above avg lung volume and oxygen sitting. Then I started getting rapid heart rates and abnormal fluttering-like beating, had a 24-hr heart monitor, did a stress test, echo - all said to be fine.  Gotten to the point that I had to quit work bec I couldn't do math, couldn't comprehend what I was reading, couldn't remember directions, etc. Can't do housework bc of fatigue, out of breath; about all I do is sit. Occasionally get pain on inhaling, sometimes sharp pain in upper left quadrant.  ALL TESTS show nothing wrong!  Went to a pulmonary spec who said at rest oxygen is normal, but drops to 84 on a 6-minute walk in the halls and I get some angina walking. Blood gas - oxygen above normal, carbon dioxide low (30), PH was 7.57.  Just did a night time oximetry test and see the doc again this week..  About 2 months ago I had an episode while shopping for groc, started when I leaned over.  Heart started racing, felt that I was going to pass out, could not think... drive home was awful; when I parked the car I HAD  to get out and walk to keep from losing consciousness.  Now experiencing problems at rest - rapid heart etc. Tried concerta and ritalin for memory but it causes my heart to race.  Edema in my legs has gotten much worse.  Raynaud's developed last year and bothers me occasionally.  

Any ideas of what this is?  My doctors seem unconcerned and my husband doesn't believe me when I tell him I think I'm dieing.

Help!
Dec 12, 2010
Start doing this pranayam to get extra oxygen into your brain,heart and lungs.Let me know how you feel after 3 days, and I have more techniques to help you and others.Do the pranayam with eyes closed, and concentrate on the middle of the two eyebrows.  
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Follow-on to post from Dec 12th:  
Recall I have problems with fatigue, breathlessness, fatigue, memory problems, dizziness, some chest pain on walking and pitting edema in my legs, with some swelling in my face, arms and hands.  At rest, my oxygen sats remains at 100%.  Overnight oximetry was fine. But on walking/exercise, my sat drops.  Blood gases and pulmonary function - normal.

I had a follow-up with my pulmonary doc yesterday. Xrays were neg for any problems. The doc repeated my walking/monitoring of my oxygen sat.  Two weeks ago it fell to 84, but yesterday it fell to 80.  The technician put me on oxygen and repeated the test, and my sat remained at 100%.

He then sent me down of a stress/bubble echo to rule out a defect in my heart septum - which it did.  However, when the echo dept tried to repeat the oxygen sat drop (walking on a treadmill), it did not drop - it remained at 100%.  So I'm back to zero.  What now?  What else could it be / what test could I ask for?

By the way, I failed to mention, warm air (summer, heat coming on during winter or in a car) also triggers an "episode."

Just a note to everyone as it might help some- I have mostly central sleep apneas.  I had to come to the States to get it diagnosed.  It is where I stop breathing at night and even sometimes a little in the day.  My breathing goes from regular to slower and slower and then stops altogether.  This is not blocked like regualer sleep apneas (its called Biots breathing) .  The brain forgets to breath (laymans language) and my system relys on a carbon dioxide trigger to begin breathing again. So I begin breathing by rapidly breathing to throw off the CO2.  This pattern repeats itself up to 110 times per hour.  -Most people with this problem have a major heart problem and life expectancy is not good-however in my case it is caused by a brain injury from a fall.  It can also be caused by heavy drug use.--So I would suggest some people check out central sleep apnea information- and Biots breathing pattern as a possible clue for some.
Good you mentioned heat as my severe episode was triggered in part by my 86 degree apartment in August.  Hopefully the manager will get me a new AC which will keep the temps at 75-78 this coming summer.  I'll watch those car heaters this winter too!
My crisis episode (911) landed me in the hospital, but I rebounded in just an overnight stay.  That said I was Pulse Ox at 72 when admitted and went home on prednisone, Z-Pac (for an infection) and O2 24/7 @ 3L.  I'm now down to 1-1/2 to 2LPM, but so far can only keep my Pulse Ox 90-92 OFF O2 for about 2 hours a day and am on Combivent and Qvar for asthma.  Hopefully when I go back to the doctors in January I will have shown some improvement.  I am a former smoker, but also exposed to environmental elements for as many years as I smoked + both parents were asthmatics and had severe allergies.  Lots of progress being made in COPD and other lung conditions and that's a good thing.
This may be a little off topic but I hope some will find it interesting, I work in a hospital in the Biomedical department and normally check my blood oxygen saturation at least once a day as part of routine testing of our monitors. It has always been between 95 and 97%. On a particular Monday morning I tested one of our Dash3000 monitors, my reading was 88%. Instantly I assumed the monitor was faulty but a second third and even forth monitor gave the same reading.
I did not immediately speak to the clinical staff but tried to think what may have caused such a sudden change.
I had been mixing concrete all weekend at home and was exposed to the dust, I can only assume this to be the cause, (I was not wearing a mask as per the instructions). My Sats reading returned to normal after 2 weeks. Not sure if this has caused any long term problems but it is too late now.
The moral of the story:  READ THE SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS FIRST.
As you can check your oxygen level, I hope you can do a little test for me.I have posted anulom vilom, a breathing technique, in my post of December 12, 2010, to improve oxygen level.
1) Check your oxygen level, then do 5 minutes of anulom vilom and check you oxygen level again. Let me know the result.
2)  If possible repeat the test, with 15 minutes of anulom vilom.
Lot of people will be very interested in your test results.
Hi don't know whether or not you will read this. But my partners saturation levels were 66% for quite a while, she had an extremely low blood level and then they did the blood gas test to test the true saturation level and it was 34%. They nearly went into melt down and said that she should be dead with that level. It could be any number of things really and most of us on here are not medical staff or doctors or specialists but if anyone has low oxygen levels they may have low blood and iron levels too... anyway they need to seek urgent medical attention it could be HHT or PPH or any number of other illnesses... but it is serious and needs to be looked at and after correctly.
Any ideas about my health issues?  I have mild sleep apnea (9ahi), oxygen levels during sleep study were below 90 for 80 minutes.  I've had lung function tests that were normal, but ABG shows a higher than normal level of carbon dioxide.  Pulmonogist sent me for Doppler echo, which didn't show pulm. hypertension, but did show a mild pericardial effusion.  I have since had bloodwork: ana, cbc with differential, and complete metabolic panel.  All the tests are normal.  
I didn't read much of the above, I am scared I am 50 and had a sleep study my oxygen went to 84 and they are making me having oxygen at night starting tomorrow..does anyone else have to do it, can it just be low oxygen or can it be something else, I am so scared to even go to bed. :(
Thanks for any help you can give me, Denise
See my post of December 12, 2010 and follow the pranayam I have described, to increase your oxygen level naturally.There is nothing to be scared of.
I had low oxygen due to an AVM in my lung resulting from HHT disorder.  Many doctors do not know about this disorder.  You can find info about it online at hht.org
I just stumbled across this site and thought I'd add my two cents about oxygen saturation levels...particularly since there has been little mention of asthma.  I was dx'd with adult onset asthma about ten years ago.  I've had a few attacks (one of which occurred after an allergy shot).  Well, on 9/29/10, I had the mother-of-all-asthma-attacks.  I should mention that I have no memory of what I am about to relay to you...I've gotten all of this information second hand and from EMS and medical records I requested.

I have some recollection of having trouble breathing that day, but that's about it.  I was home alone and my husband came home to find me having a very difficult time breathing.  I suppose I was in such distress that he felt it necessary to call an ambulance.  The paramedics came and began to treat me, doing whatever it is they do in this situation.  My oxygen saturation level was 53%.  I later gathered that this was bad, since they underlined it twice on their report...and I'm guessing the reason I don't remember any of this is due to lack of oxygen to my brain.  At any rate, I was taken to the hospital E.R. by ambulance, where one of the head pulmonologists - who normally doesn't do E.R. duty - was awaiting my arrival to treat me.  The diagnosis on the report was "status asthmaticus" and respiratory failure.  (I also had pneumonia, but I believe that may have developed after I was admitted to the hospital.)  I was intubated (rapid sequence intubation), put on a respirator and in a drug induced coma.  I was also given mega doses of steriods by I.V.  I spent a week in ICU like this.  Then, I was weaned off of the meds, taken off the respirator and eventually put in a "regular" room where I spent another week.  (I was still given oxygen in various other forms.)  Tests revealed that the asthma attack was triggered by a virus called "RSV", which my doctor said is something babies and children usually get (I guess I was never one to grow up).

The moral of this story is this...if you have asthma, do not take it lightly.  At the time, I wasn't taking my maintenance meds, and was relying solely on my rescue inhaler.  NOT a good idea.  Had I been using my Advair regularly, this may not have happened.  I am told that I almost died.  Needless to say, I use the Advair religiously now.  I can only hope this never happens again.  So, if you're asthmatic, take your maintenance meds!  Asthma can kill...not many people are aware of this and just blow it off (no pun intended).  I was one of those people.  I am not any longer.  I hope this helps even one person.

Peace,
Julia
I just took a test for my oxygen level at night and it came back at 74. Now from reading the prior posts. Mine sounds pretty low. My husband says that I stop breathing at night. Lincare said they want me on oxygen at night time right away. Is this COPD or should I get more tests done.
Yvonne
See my post of December 12, 2010 and follow the pranayam I have described, to increase your oxygen level naturally, and you can measire it as well. Try this first before going onto oxygen.
sounds like you might have sleep apnea  i have it and i use to wake up gasping for air you might want to talk to your dr about it
I been wearing oxygen at night for over two weeks,somedays I wake up so tired and when walking around the house I get tired to quick.I wonder do this oxygen at night really helps me.
PO2 level of 77
this measurement was taken two weeks after most recent carbon monoxide exposure.  Furnace stovepipe/chimney incorrectly connected causing CO leak all winter - 5 months!

Other than symptoms from the CO exposure, I'm relatively healthy.  My doctor isn't doing anything - she has not even contacted me regarding these results.  After two weeks, I called and asked her office to send them to me.

Do I need to seek another doctor?  Is this normal?
Can low hgb cause low spo2?
Okay, I have to say this, because I don't see it anywhere in the posts. There are 2 different kinds of sleep apnea, one is obstructive, and is the most common, and the other is central sleep apnea. Obstructive sleep apnea can have being overweight as a contributing factor, and it is the one we all know about. Central sleep apnea is far less common, less than 5% of all sleep apnea patients have this type. It is caused by an underlying medical condition, such as congestive heart disease, or neurological disorders. You do not have to be old, overweight or a snorer to have this type of dangerous sleep apnea. It can develop at any life stage, and can develop in conjunction with obstructive sleep apnea. I thought I could never have obstructive sleep apnea, and thought I knew all I need to about it... although I am a heart patient with moderate to severe CHF. Turns out congestive heart failure can actually cause this type of sleep apnea. When I finally agreed to the sleep study, my oxygen levels during sleep were at 80%, for 95% of the time I was sleeping. My blood pressure was through the roof as a result, and other problems had escalated as well. Get the testing done, where you think you are a candidate or not.
I recently was tested with an oximeter and the readings are mostly in the 80's at night. During the day they drop to mid to high 90's. I am 61 years old, smoked for about 20 years, quit about 15 years ago. I have some environmental allergies that cause congestion. I have a deviated septum with 50 percent blockage in both passages. I live at an elevation of 6500', having moved here 5 years ago. I was told the other day that most of the time low levels are due to a weak diaphragm. I've also learned that some people never adjust to high altitude so that could be a causal factor. I have chronic ptsd so tend to shallow breath and breath into my lungs rather than diaphragm.
I'm trying to find out if any of the above could be a contributing factor or if this is just a sleep disorder. If my breathing rate is ok during the day and only drops during the night it seems to me that it's more likely a sleeping problem than an altitude problem.
I am doing exercises to build my diaphragm, including changing my habit of breathing during the day to diaphragm breathing only.
I am on oxygen at night now. And I do feel better. But if I can find a way to get off oxygen and have good levels....of course I want that.
You can reduce your dependence on oxygen, gradually, by following the anulom vilom pranayam, which I have described in my post of December 12, 2010. Try and do it for more than 20 minutes, twice a day. Let me know when you start to notice the benefit of pranayam.
what is the owest 02 to survive?
We were told by my Father's Doctor that the minimum O2 level required to sustain your vital organs is a minimum of 57%. Keep in mind this is strictly for maintaining vital organs with absolutely no activity.
Though I'm not a Doctor we've had to trust the professional...If anyone knows differently please share! :)
Thank you
I am a 69 y/o female.  Had a heart attack in 2007 and was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension.  Now the cardiologist says my heart is good and my low bp has taken care of the PH and it is gone.  However I'm having spells where I can't breathe good and seems like I can't get a good deep breath.  Another Dr. is going to do a sleep study and today my o2 sat was 95.  I understand thats not real low but it must be low enough to be a little uncomfortable.  Anyone have any thoughts?
I have Sarcoidosis of the lungs Stage 4, since 1994.  I'm a 56 year old female.  Stage 4, because I have extensive lung scarring.  My medical chest x-ray reads, "Extensive traction bronchiectasis and fibrotic scarring in the right upper lung."  My damaged lung pushed my heart toward the middle of my chest.  Results from my 2010 6-Minute Walk test,  I have "Significant 7 level dyspnea, desaturated from resting 100% to 86% during the walk.  She was only able to walk 408 feet." I was given 2L oxygen and was able to walk "1404 feet and maintained 95% saturation."  I was not put on an oxygen tank because my pulmonary office did not call me until 45 days later. So my pulmonary doctor retested me instead of the pulmonary lab and my oxygen never dropped below 95%.

Today (9/15/2011, the pulmonary lab did another 6 minute walk test and I desaturated to 80% from a 95% resting.  With 2L oxygen I rested at 100% and with exertion dropped only to 95.

My Pulmonary Function Test are all in normal ranges.  My DLCO also in the low normal range.

Why are all my Pulmonary Function Tests (breathing tests) normal, but I have extensive scarred lung?  I'm always short of breath unless I'm doing nothing.  My chest and joints hurt off/on, very tired, my joints hurt.  But all my breathing test show I'm basically OK.  I do not have COPD, asthma, lung/heart hypertension.  I have taken all related heart test my a cardiac specialist; 3 tiny leaky valves, nothing else.  No one can answer this question.
To improve your breathing, I have some techniques for you to follow. Do the kapalbhati and anulom vilom twice a day, and let me know how you feel after 28 days, and how many minutes you can do.
Kapalbhati pranayam -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
September 16, 2011
My husband recently had back surgery. Since then he has gone into anaphalatic shock 3 times.  He went to the alllergist today and his O2 level was 68...they gave him an inhaler and it went up to 84 and she told him he had asthma.  After reading these comments I am scared I don't think that is what it is..how do I know where his o2 level is now?
What should a childs oxygen level be when sleeping? I know that it is normal for it to fall a little bit but is it really safe to be dropping to 88 to 92?  
Expand on this mroe please. Its interesting. I have emphasema and o2 issues. ***@****
I am 62 years old andsmoked about 30 years ago.I have hypertension and had breast cancer 12 years ago and thyroid  cancer last year. I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea and asthma about 5 years ago.I used my C-PAPP religiously at first but do not any more. The asthma has been a mild seasonal problem and I use singular and Advair for it. I used to do sprint triathlons but started to have chronic pain from the scoliosis in my back. I* had 8 1/2 hours of surgery to correct the scoliosis and one day post op I had atrial fibrillation which was unbeknowst to me! It was detecxted on the monitors I had in ICU. A cardiologist was called in but I converted back to normal sinus rythmn by myself and my PCP and another cardiologist said they thought it was caused by the stress of surgery. No mention was made of low o2 sats. I have3 had several out patient surgeries where I've had to stay in recovery an extra hour or so because my O2 sats were too low. Recently (on November 2nd.) I had a knee joint replaced was unable to have the usual spinal anesthesia because of my scoliosis surgery and subsequent instrumentation; so I was given perhaps a heavier regular anesthesia. After I was back in my room I had nausea and vomiting several times and  began to cough a lot, it sounded like a wet cough but I never coughed up anything. I was given medication for pain and nausea and steriods and breathing treatments for the cough. Well, eventually I began talking crazy according to my husband!  I knew I was having conversations with people that no one knew was in the room! My best friend who is an RN noticed my O2 sats were 88 on 5 litres of O2, and my husband noticed my heart rate was about 155. Thanks to a very observant nurse, I was given an echocardiolgram and then told I was going to ICU because I was getting harder to wake up and  because of the cough and I was in atrial fibrillation. It took a week to get my O2 sats to where I could maintain it at 90 with room air. I had full O2 on at several times even with breathing treatments q 4 hours: IV solu-medrol: ahntiobiotics: and IV Cardezam.My respiratory therapists always checked my O2 sats themselves and they listened to my chest sounds.; At one point I was told to talk less and learn to breathe properly! Me talk less? Are they crazy? AQ CT scan was negative except for some small pockets of fluid. The doctors eventually decided that this was caused by my asthma and some kind of broncho spasm. they really doj't know what set it all off. So now I'm left wondering if this will happen again and what I can do to prevent this happening again. I will follow up with my PCP and ask about seeing a pulmonologist. The doctor I saw in the hospital specialized in Critical Care. Perhaps if I'd being wearing my C-PAPP like I'm supposed to then I can prevent it
This breathing technique will maintain your O2 level naturally, and help you relax as well. Monitor your levels and let me know your progress.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
November 14 ,2011
Have you had pulmonary function tests performed to rule out any type of lung disease?  I have Alpha One Antitrypsin Deficiency, a genetic form of emphysema that didn't really manifest itself with symptoms until I was about 46 years old.  You can have a blood test to rule out Alpha One.  Good luck.
Normal oxygen saturations are 90%-100%. But if its in the lows 90's you need to go to ER to find cause. Pneumonia sometimes may need to be treated by IV antibiotics at a hospital if oral antibiotics are not working.So if you are have worsening problems with shortness of breath go to ER. (I am a nurse)
Normal Oxygen saturation is 90-100%. I would advise taking your child to ER to get checked out. This is serious. (I am a nurse)
Folks If you are not happy with your physician get a second opinion.
I have bad sleep apnea and asthma and have O2 of 94% during the day and 75% during the night.  I'm having heart rhythm problems now and fatigue and 94 even on all my asthma meds and medrol.  Is there anything I can do?  
Yes you can do something yourself - the technique is described in my post above dated November 14 ,2011
You problem of sleep apnea ,asthma,heart rhythm will all be helped with 30 minutes of anulom vilom, twice a day.
Let me know your O2 readings, after 3 weeks, and what benefit you notice..
I understand where you are at with the sleep apnea. I am not getting oxgen to my brain when i sleep. I am wondering what other conditions come with this problem. I am having a hard time getting any information about this problem. Could I end up parkisons or something else
My husband has COPD and was hospitalized about 3 months ago due to low oxygen levels. He was sent home with oxygen. Now the pulse oximeter usually reads 90-92 at a resting rate.  Now he wonders if it's normal for it to drop while moving/working and how low is "safe"?
Follow the anulom vilom breathing technique, twice a day, described in my November 14 ,2011 post, and you will notice an increase in the O2 level.Over the long term your need for oxygen will decrease, as you continue with anulom vilom. Any activity uses oxygen, so the level goes down when you move.
January 11, 2012
Thank you!
It sounds like Pulmonary Fibrosis.
If your sat leval is below 88 you qualify for and need supplemental oxygen. Your insurance should pay for most of it.    
Ask your doctor to prescribe it.
Find another pulmonologist if yours does not address your problems.  Push.  You need to breathe to be healthy.
I've been dealing with this for along time now.  I was told I had a resting reading of 90-91 and that was fine - but they gave me oxygen for when i'm exercising.  That held for quite a while and then I got a cold and my oxygen dropped fast.  It is now 82 and tops out at 86.  I was also told that 88 is okay too but I'm going to the hospital tomorrow.  I dont normally us oxygen unless exercising but I am now.

One thing I am suspicious of is - previously I was diagnosed as having iron deficiency anemia - they gave me iron and in a week or so I felt a lot better - I believe that is  the case again.  When there is insufficient iron the bone  marrow doesnt' produce enough red and white blood cells - the red cells pick up and carry oxygen to the body and the white blood cells fight infection.  I am low in both and think it's iron deficiency anemia.  So tomorrow I will ask that it be checked on my CBC.  Anyone should consider that possibility when you are trying to figure out what caused your low oxygen sats.   John Hansen  ***@****
I've had chf for years and they diagnose that by seeing if you are accumulating fluid in your lower legs.

Recently they changed their diagnosis to "slight" chf.

That was after I used the Tony Little rock n' roll stepper for just a couple of weeks.  It so tightened up my calves and lower legs that it drove all the fluid accumulation out.  Best $50.00 I ever spent.  I don't sell them btw.

I currently have a cold and oxygen saturation is way down - so I'm going to the hospital tomorrow to check for iron deficiency anemia.  I'm 74, diabetic and with slight chf.  Previously my low sats were related to the iron deficiency anemia.  I got a heart valve in 2007 and when I got home - I took off the oxygen and my saturation was 92 just like with it on.  So I left it off.
I have 3 and often can't find them.   so on a good recommendation - I order two devco's.

http://www.devonsuperstore.com/100-A-Fingertip-Pulse-Oximeter-P264.aspx

Said to be really accurate.  You don't have to pay a lot - these are $29.95 each.  I compare my other 3 to the doctor's office and hospital and they are all within one point of so.l

JackHester
Any nutritional supplements here?  What is the anti-oxidant status?  This drives me crazy...all these  tests without questioning cellular nutrition including mineral imbalances.  The biological burdon that we accumulate over time interferes with the ability of the body to heal itself.  Read the book CLEAN by Junger, MD.  It seems as though most doctors have forgotten their biochemistry.  

My definition of a specialist goes like this:  a specialist is one who knows more and more about less and less.

Dr. Michael Dierkes at ***@****
The cardiologists at my local VA hospital said 88 or above is acceptable.

Somethings you might try for both Afib and OXsats is to take some vitamin D -about 3000 IU is non toxic and has a lot to do with heart rhythms.  I did that yesterday for the first time and my afib stopped for all day and onlly started in a very mild way by night and still is much more subdued than normal.

For oxsat - take some iron pills.  Often people have iron deficiency anemia without knowing it.  It improves my oxygen saturation a lot in about 3 days.

And if you can tolerate a diruretic take about 20 - 40 mg of  that.

It helps clear my lungs of edema and that improve oxsat and probaby afib as well.

Best wishes.
Well I'm JackHester and the devco oxygen saturation meters proved to be very innacurate and hey don't light up to make it easy to see.

The best I've seen and I bought several - is CMS50DL - available at:

http://www.pulseoximeter.org/cms50-dl.html

Mine a blue and white and the big red digits are easy to read even at a distance and without my glasses.

I don't make any money on this.

Best Wishes.

JackHester
I had a reading of 86 when I woke up this morning.  What I will do is get on my exercise bike and ride easily for an hour.   Using oxygen only when I exercise it brings my oxsats up to 92 - 94.  That helps strengthen my heart and clears my lungs.

It's now 89 and that's okay too for starters.

JackHester
MY WIFE HAS SLEEP APNEA COPD AND SARCODOSIS OF THE LUNGS WEVE BEEN GOING TO A LUNG DOCTOR FOR YEARS HE HAS TAKEN HER BLOOD GAS AT A RESTING STATE AT 89 TO 92 AND NEVER AS SHE MOVED SHE ALWAYS COMPLAINED OF HEADACHES BEING TIRED UNABLE TO GET UP IN A.M.  JUST RECENTLY SHE HAD 3 LEVELS REPAIRED IN NECK AND THE DOCTORS IN NYUC FOUND HER LEVELS TO BE WHILE MOVING AROUND AT 76 SHE IS NOW ON OXGEYN 24/7 WITH THAT HER LEVEL IS 96 WITHOUT 86 SHE WAS A HEAVY SMOKER AND IS VERY DEPRESSED ABOUT NEVER COMING OFF OXGEYN WE DONT KNOW HOW MUCH DAMAGE WAS DONE BY HER DOCTOR NOT BEING DELIGENT BUT THANK GOD 4 THE DOCTORS AT NYU SPECIAL SURGERY HOSPITAL AT LEAST NOW WE KNOW WHAT WE ARE DEALING WITH
Is anyone on this forum dealing with interstitial lung disease (ILD) ? I was diagnosed in 2008 and am on O2 all the time. I'd like to connect with others in similar situations.
@ EllaV,

My sister was diagnised with ILD  in May 2012. She is 41  and is a diabetic.
She was in ICU for a week. When she came home , she was advised to be on suppl oxygen for 18 hrs /day for 2 weeks .Everything worked fine, her oxygen saturation increased upto 96 . During her first review with her doctor, she was asked to come off from the suppl oxygen. She was doing good until she developed fever all of sudden. Her fever comes almost every morning and her oxygen saturation is down to 83 -84.  We are very worried. She  went to the doctor with a recent xray and it is shows good clearing.The doctors are not able to find why she gets fever everyday. She is on oxygen all day now. We dont know what to do . My parents are very old and i stay in a different country. I cannot focus on anything but to worry about her condition.  What could be the problem?
My diagnosis is (diastolic) congestive heart failure which causes interstitial fluid in my lungs. Haven't heard the drs. call it ILD but I guess it is kind of similar.
if any of you have low oxygen levels get to hospital asap my nan had copd and the oxygen levels went to under 30 during the night sadly she died 2 weeks ago she was my life the docs sent her home took her off dialisis even tho her kidneys and lungs failed and she had no oxygen saying she was all better gave her false hope she was then rushed bk in week later she died she was ment to be released the next day to go home im distraught thats the nhs for you please take my advise get it treated asap
i have had asthma since i was an infant. i'm 34 now. i've noticed that when i've been at all overweight (my weight has fluctuated over the years) and when i've been eating  more wheat, dairy and sugar my asthma is signifiantly worse. when i'm a healthy weight eating a mostly gluten / processed free diet my asthma pretty much disappears.
did you figure out your problem?  My dad has been going through the same thing - high blood pressure but no other health issues.  His dr's are stomped - it is so frustrating!
I had pneumonia a few years ago. I had to call 911 cuz my breathing was so bad. When they took my o2 sat, it was 59. I was admitted for almost a week. I now get bronchitis much easier than normal n was diagnosed with asthma n sleep apnea a year ago. I quit smoking when I found out about these new health problems. My o2 sat has been close 2 normal ever since I was discharged from hospital years ago after pneumonia, tho.
I hope you got some medical attention.  I am surprised to see that your post is still online since 2001.  11 years ago?  I have severe COPD.  Diagnosed in 2000.   I have been using Oxygen 24/7 for about 11 years now.  I find CPAP VERY helpful! too!  With Oxygen bleed in through the hose.  I am still working and do as much as I can.  My saturation went to less than 50 - one nurse mentioned having seen a figure of 30+ something in my file.  I wake up after sleeping with CPAP and 4 LPM oxygen, my sats can be from 96 - 99 but as soon as I start moving around, they drop.  If i do not use oxygen, and don't move, they drop slowly but if i breathe deep and hard, i can keep it into the 80s for a while before I hurt too much and have to turn on the oxygen.   I like to keep it above 93 as much as possible,so if I do a lot of moving around I need to turn it up to 6 or more.
HI ZOE   SAW YOUR POST ON LOWO2 AT NIGHT 2001.

IF STILL USING PLEASE ADVISE
OCT 2012   THANKS  ED
I suffer from COPD.I have been Doctoring for 2 years with it and have been put in hospital 2 times.This last time I almost died.I have 10 different Doctors on my case. This is what I have been told. 02 stats can go down to 93 for me. When I am up and doing things I put my 02 up to 3 to3.5.I did purchase my own monitor for stats.They also had me do sleep test 2 different times..I now have a Bi-pap machine.OMG what a change this has made. Not saying I am 100% better. But this machine has changed my life. For anyone out there,,,talk to your doctor and dont be afraid to try things out. I am on morphine every 4 hours and take a hand full of meds but Im here and feel pretty darn good concidering everything.I wish all good luck with this darn illness.
I am 41 and was diagnosed with Eosiniphilic Pneumonia in 2005. I had all the same symptoms as you and had to go through several tests and specialists and finally a biopsy to get the diagnosis. Get another opinion from a Pulmonologist. Get a chest CT Scan and bloodwork.
Am I the only one???  I am a healthy 49 year old. Low oxygen saturation levels at night, normal weight. They did a sleep study and I do not have sleep apnea. I am a shallow breather I guess?  Is this very common in otherwise healthy people? I was just put on 1.5 liters per hour of oxygen at nighttime only.
I was told this could have likely been going on my entire life?
My wife has recently been diagnosed with interstial pulmonary fibrosis, possibly due to her rhuemetoid arthritis and use of metrotrxate. She has never smoked in her life, she is 63 yrs. old. Her oxygen sats are 91% on room air and 98% on 2 liters oxygen at rest, but drops to 78% on 2 liters oxygen with very little exertion. I,m told there is no cure or effective treatment for IPF. Her condition is stable right now but can and will progress at any time. I can,t thank her RA doctor enough for prescribing metrotrexate which causes permanent and irreversable progressive lung damage.
Just a thought....a type of Polycythemia. There's a few types.
What an inspiration. I will show my 20 year old daughter this post.  She has primary pulmonary hypertension and is on oxygen most of the time with Revation which is helping her with breathing and energy. She was also born with many physical defects and has had over 20 surgeries. She is also going to college and has an online Ebay business and helps her mom at school. She now carrries a portable oxygen device. She now knows life is short for all of us and you have to keep on living to the fullest that you can,
I had to have my shoulder replaced, prior to going into Loma Linda on Feb 7th, my oxygen reading wws 87 to 90%
After surgery I've not recovered and I'm on oxygen all the time.if I remove the oxygen now it falls into the 65% to 70%.

Loma Linda just pushed me outbthe door with no oxygen or reason for this, of course todays a holiday. Somethings not right now I'm recovering from a right shoulder replacement and lung issues that we dontbknow why
That is a low oxygen level upon exertion, I would get a Pulmonary function test done.
I just became a member here and read your post. I pray your mom is alright and got through that storm.  Prayers for both of you.
It had no effect on my oxygen level.
If they put you completely under that deteriorates lung function, Always let anestysiologist know if you have COPD they usually won't put you completely under but you won't know what is going on.
Hi,  Check interactions of medication  on Mediguard. This was picked up on my cardiac arrest poor heart pumping to....  if you have been a smoker in uk that is often blamed.