Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Pain under ribs upon waking

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Pain under ribs upon waking

Since my daughter was born in 1997, I have had pain in my lower back, around kidney area, under the ribs.  This pain only occurs during sleep and upon waking.  It is painful to inhale or exhale. Once I wake and walk to the bathroom and void, then pain disappears for the remainder of the day.  I do seem to urniate alot, getting up atleast once during the night.  I can only sleep 5 hours with the pain under my ribs.  I have been sent to a Urologist for overactive bladder and prescribed Detrol which did not help.  I was referred to a chiropractor by the Urologist and had a MRI of my lower lumbar spine which was negative.  My GP ordered a chest xray and CT scan of the pelvic area which were also negative.  This condition is very painful and is causing daily fatigue due to lack of sleep. Recently I've been experiencing a pain in my right shoulder blade when I burp, I'm not sure if the two are related.
This pain seems to be related to the time you spend in bed.  It is probably of musculoskeletal origin or due to nerve compression, which is related to your position(s) during sleep.  Such nerve compression or stretching pain can occur during pregnancy and delivery.  Because your pain is relieved when you get up in the morning suggests that it is due to the upright position, rather than to emptying your bladder.  You may have an overactive bladder but this is probably not the cause of your pain.

I have three suggestions:
hi
have you considered acid reflux? I sufered from this for years with constant chest pains - felt like a knife going in. Had an op to tighten the phincter and fine now. For about a week after the op I had pain in my right shoulder - it was transferred pain from the op site. What makes my think acid is possible is that when you stand gravity helps keep the acid down. Laying down allows it to flow "up" or along. Another thing I've had a few times is sharp pains under the ribs and in the intestines after strong antibiotics. Taking probiotic tablets (acidophilous etc as in yogurt) helped restore the bacterial balance and it went away after a few days. I always do this now after antibiotics.
My latest related episode was acute chest pains when laying down. Could hardly muve it was so excruciating. Dragged mself to the GP and by the time I got to see him it had gone. Standing up helped I think. Later I put it down to some dodgy onions I'd eaten - had some more that night and it came back. Had also been on antibiotics the week before. good luck
I woke up this morning feeling like id been run over with a truck! My rib cage aches so very much!! I am already under the doctors to try to find out whats the matter with me. I started with these symtoms (symptoms) august last yr some times im ok but i poorly more than well. I also shallow breathe then take 1big breathe but im begining to wonder if ive developed apnea as when before i never woke up when i take a deep breathe now it wakes me up and im gasping it hurts too.i dont no whats a matter with me but i try to stay positive