Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Persistant low-grade fever after upper respiratory infection

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

About 2 weeks ago, I developed a sore throat, cough, nasal and chest congestion, and fever. I was diagnosed with bronchitis and given biaxin for 5 days. I then developed a severe cough and shortness of breath (I have asthma), and was diagnosed with adult croup. I was given biaxin for another 5 days, and predisone. Still not feeling well I was then given azrithomyacin for a sinus infection for 5 days.I had also had thrush. During all this, I've been running low grade fevers. They start when I get up in the morning at about 99.8, and go up during the day/evening to no higher than 100.5. This has been occuring daily for about a week and a half, in spite of the antibiotics I've been on. I've completed the antibiotics, and am on Symbicort and Ventilin for my asthma. We are undergoing massive rennovations where I work on our heating/cooling system, and I'm wondering if that might be causing some of my difficulties. Other symptoms include, extreme fatigue and occassional sharp pain in my chest under my breast (usually right side). Also, I'm still having nasal congestion, and sinus pressure. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
It is time for more than antibiotics, but some tests to see what is going on.  I would suggest speaking with your physician about determining the cause of the fever and other respiratory symptoms.  It is hard to say what the cause may be, but what you are doing does not seem to be working.  X-rays and possible blood tests should tell a lot.
I have copd and asthma.  I have been treated and am doing all right but now I have developed a chronic low-grade fever too. Anyone else?  what to do?
I've had chronic sinusitis for approximately 10 years.  I've had asthma for about 18 years, and have been getting allergy shots for about 18 years.  Obviously the doc's advice about getting your problem checked out is the wisest.  However, knowing how things we read on the internet can scare us, and knowing how some of us have an inclination to assume the worst (omg, I must have cancer--that kind of thing) I thought I would post a comment that might help calm some of your fears.

Due to my medical history I have a tendency to get sinus infections several times a year--those often lead to the added bonus of a URI.  I often notice that when recovering from these illnesses I may run a low-grade fever for what seems to be an extended period even after most of the other symptoms of the illness have passed.  It took me a long time to realize that just because I didn't feel the other symptoms it didn't mean the infection was totally gone.  Only proper testing done by your doctor can tell if the infection is 100% finished.

Bronchitis, URI's and sinus infections are tenacious.  Getting your problem checked out by a professional is the smart thing to do, because you don't want to leave the "residue" of such an infection untreated...as it can come back to haunt you--both literally and figuratively.  However, in my experience there's no need to start writing your will out.   Go see the doc.  Isn't having peace of mind worth losing a few hours out of a single day?