Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Persistent Cough

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Persistent Cough

I've had a cough for going on five months now. It first appeared around the same time I was given an inhaler, as the doctor suspected I had allergic asthma. I have hayfever and am allergic to dust, animals, tree spores etc. When it started it was mainly immediately after I ate but now I get it more frequently and often randomly. It's non productive and I often find myself coughing so hard I taste blood. I often have uncontrollable coughing fits that leave me gasping for breath. Any ideas what could be the problem, is it just my asthma or should I be worried?
The history you provide suggests that you might well have allergies and asthma, each of which could be responsible for your cough.  A cough that “was initially “mainly immediately after I ate” raises another possibility and that is that your cough may be related to a swallowing disorder and/or Gastroesophageal reflux.  This cough is worrisome and calls for a complete evaluation including direct examination of your larynx and vocal cords, and assessment of your throat and esophagus.

You should of course have a Chest X-ray if you’ve not had one recently.  What I am suggesting is that it would not be appropriate for you or your doctor to assume that the cough is asthma or allergy related.  Other causes must seriously be considered and diagnostic studies initiated, without further delay.

Good  luck
You should have a spirometry and if it is normal you could have a specific test for the diagnosis of asthma which is called provocation test. If both are normal, you should check for other diagnoses and perform a chest xray! On the other hand, if they are abnormal, your doctor will estimate the severity of your asthma and give you the appropriate treatment.

Hope that helped!!!
I had the same problems and my coughing was due to acid reflux and the acid reflux was being caused by wheat products, I stopped eatting all the junk and could not believe the difference, it may even help your asthma, those inhalers are full of side effects