Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Possible Lung Cancer
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Possible Lung Cancer

My husband had a CT skan which reads:

Appx. 3cm left mid-lung mass with contiguity to the left hilar structures, suspicious for neoplastic disease & primary lung carcinoma. No significant mediastinal or hilar lymphadenopathy.

What does the contiquity to the left hilar mean, good or bad?

Also said there is mild mediastinal lymph nodes measuring less than 1 cm in diameter with no significant mediastinal or hilar
lymphadenopathy. No effusion is noted.

Is any of this good, or bad? What is the best test to come next?

Also on right side has there is a small calcified nodule of the right mid lung, most compatible with a calcified granuloma of no significant difference.

Please help with the phraseology.

Linda
Related Discussions
251132_tn?1198082422
Contiguity means close to or continuous to something.  The closer a lesion is to the hilar structures, the more likely that surgery will require removal of the entire lung.  Also, the closer it is, the more likely there is to be involvement of lymph nodes or other central structures.  The good news here though, is that there is no apparent spread to these structures.
The calcified node is benign and of no consequence.
2 Comments
Blank
my husband is 41 and a smoker, we went to the doctor today and heard the same thing, he has a nodule that is 7mm long,it is to small to do anything with, so we have to wait and see. He has COPD. We will go back in July for another CT, to see if the nodule grew. Now we sit and wait, it is very scary. All my husband heard was cancer, nothing else the doctor said to him sunk in. Like I read in the forum it could be due to scarring
from repeated congestion, ashtma, and brochitis.  Just wanted to let you know that there is another wife going through he same thing. Email to talk!
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Asthma Tracker