Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Pulmonary Embolism

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Pulmonary Embolism

Ive been diagnosed with a PE in the left lung about a 5 days ago, but the pains occured weeks before i went to the hospital, ive just this morning developed severe sharp pains in the region of my heart or left lung, and coughing of blood is still occuring, Im on blood thinners injected and oral coumadin. How long should pain like this last for, and how long does it typically take for a PE to heal? Ive also got Anti-THrombin III deficiency , a rare blood disorder were i clot and dont have the agents in my blood to unclot. Ive many questions in this one post, but im wondering with the bleeding still occuring in my lungs if its safe to be on so many blood thinners..becuase it will make me bleed more. And should the pain be getting worse? Im taking pain relievers which do help immensely, but im curious to the interaction of coumadin and my lung bleeding. I am a 22 year old male, and am hoping for any feedback i can get on my condition.
There is normally a fine balance between blood factors that promote clotting and those that keep the blood from clotting when it is not supposed to.  For the moment, the top priority must be to prevent further clotting in your lungs.  Your doctors will have to monitor your coagulation status very carefully during this time so as to not overshoot one way or the other.  The pain may last for weeks.  It may get worse before it gets better.  However worsening pain does not necessarily mean worsening of your condition.

Given your anti-thrombin III deficiency, you should have a consultation by a hematologist with a special interest in coagulation.

Good luck.
this is just a follow-up,

i am now experiencing severe stabbing pains in my chest when i try to sleep, its like lightning, and radiates in my entire left lung region but mostly upper area now, its intolerable and it causes almost entire lack of sleep, i sleep for a few hours before the pain wakes me and is too much to resume sleep. IT generally takes a hour or two after getting out of bed and taking pain meds to subdue the pain, the pains are like lightning bolts and dont last long but are frequent, mostly when i move.
Also, incase anyone thats medically inclined reads this and replies (i hope they do) im still coughing up blood everyday .
What do your doctors say about this continued state of affairs?
i just got back from the hospital again, and i have a pulmonary infarction cuased from the embolisms, that means a part of my lung is dead and or dieing. =(. its in the lower left area.
A related discussion, Response to Clotter1-pulmonary embolism was started.