Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Really concerned

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Really concerned

I just had an X-ray and it said I could have COPD. It said "Mild Hyperinflation . I have a dry cough that presents mostly when I talk and in the evening time. I do not feel bad nor have a temp. been almost 4 weeks now. I have had a similar cough over the years but this one also comes with a bad tickle in my throat.
I am older but in great shape. I can walk 2 miles without any problem,swim laps etc.
I  am going to take a PFT soon, any thought as to what this dry cough could be?
From your description, this sounds more like an upper airway problem than a lower airway problem and so maybe it is not COPD.  It is common for people to have a chronic cough in the winter.  Certain viruses precipitate this, as well as some allergic and non-allergic inflammatory reactions.  I would speak to your physician about trying a nasal steroid and/or an antihistamine to see if it helps with the cough.

Getting a PFT is a very good idea.  Hopefully, you also have never been a non-smoker.  COPD is much more likely in smokers.
Thank you for your reply. I just got back from taking a PFT  my reading are as follows

Pre Bronchodilator

FEV1- PRED=113%
FEV6-PRED=110%
FEV1/FEV6=102%
PEF---------     = 98%

With the exception of PFE they are all above and it says NORMAL With no help from using Bronchodilator

Don't know what the PEF was  that was the only one slightly below.

Thanks for your input  As my post said I pasted the PFT but my new X-Rays say  " Hyperinflated lung field" Also in the text it says " Flattening of the diaphragms

How can I pass the pft with over 100% and have COPD?