Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Rib Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Rib Pain

After having a severe cough for months I developed a sharp pain in my left rib cage. Upon going to my Dr. he perscribed an anti biodic for Bronchitis and chest X-rays were taken. This was over a week ago and I have not been able to get results from the X-rays yet. In the first three days of taking the anti biodics my cough had subsided and my ribs felt much better. Day four I lifted some boxes over my head for work and day five my severe rib pain returned The pain is terrible when I do cough but tolorable otherwise. It has been sugested by others that the prolonged coughing I had experinced prior to seeing the Dr. may have caused damage to the lining of my chest cavaty.
Any thoughts?
Any treatments?
Thanks Steve
This sounds like musculoskeletal pain.  You should continue to take the antibiotic until it is gone.  Also you should avoid heavy lifting.  When you cough hold your chest so that it hurts less.  You should gradually feel better.  If you do not, check with your doctor.
Could be costochondritis.  It's inflammation of the cartilage that connects each rib to the sternum.  It can be very painful.  It's brought about by trauma or strain to your ribs.  It's benign and usually resolves itself after a while.  The main symptom is pain in the associated area.  Usually it is between the second and third ribs, but it can be elsewhere.  Very tender to touch and the pain is associated with coughing, sneezing, heavy breathing, and can sometimes occur in more than one spot at the same time.  Usually for it to resolve itself takes some time.  Avoid heavy lifting and strenuous exercises and, if you can tolerate it, treat with simple painkillers like NSAIDs.  But, like always, you should visit your doctor for him to confirm or veto any ideas on your predicament.