Respiratory Disorders Community
Shortness of breath

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Shortness of breath

Hi, for the past 9 days I have had constant shortness of breath. It started with a dry cough, tightness in the chest and shortness of breath but now it's pretty much just the shortness of breath. I also am constantly burping and I feel as if I have a lump stuck in my throat. I have had a chest x-ray, ekg, blood tests and a CT angiogram of my chest done. Everything came out normal. My doctor thinks that it can be anxiety and prescribed Ativan but Ativan does nothing for my shortness of breath, it just puts me to sleep. I'm not sure what it can be that I have. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
When you saw your doctor, did he/she have you take a breathing treatment? These are normally done in the office using a nebulizer and Abuterol, with checks done pre/post treament using a pulse oximeter. Although a successful treatment doesn't tell you what is causing your shortness of breath, I can tell you for a fact that regaining the ability to breath easily does much more to relieve anxiety than Ativan does. ;)

At first my doc thought that it could be a virus with the cough and SOB, so she prescribed antibiotics and an inhaler. She didn't do any tests in her office. The inhaler did not really work. And yes regaining the ability to breath again easily will do much more to relieve anxiety than Ativan does. Too make a long story short she sent me to the ER to do all the tests and it was normal. Now I'm at my wits end. I just want to know what it can possibly be.
I have had test after test. Do you smoke?? I mean I am trying to quit myself, but I had shortness of breath and had to get a nubulizer to bring home and it got to a point that didn't even work for me. Did they check you for acid reflux? That could be the burping and I have heard it can cause shortness of breath as well. You might want to check tht out. Sometimes shortness of breath can bring ON an anxiety attack not create one..... oh well. Hope you can figure it out. Let us know. Have they put the little tube through your nose and down your throat? That checks for GERD and all, so maybe if it keeps us suggest that.
Good luck
Dakotawinks