Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Sinus Infection after surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Sinus Infection after surgery

I just had surgery for a polyp and a deviated septum.  I have had infections ever since. I too am on my 4th round of antibiotics.  My surgery was Feb 16.  I did bleed for about 3 days, called my physician and he just told me I had to get through it.  I was feeling a bit better after the 'stints' were removed.  I went in for my 2 week follow up and was feeing not so bad.  He examined me and then sprayed some fluid/stuff up into each nostril.  After about 3 hours I was in sever pain in my left nostril.  It was burning.  By the next morning it was so bad my brother had to take me in to see the dr.  He just gave me more antibiotics and sent me on my way.  I was back the following week as my left sinus was still hurting, my teeth/gums hurt my lymph nodes; I had green tissue like stuff coming out of the back of my throat  and swollen the pain was down my left arm and leg.  He examined me again and after much persuasion, did schedule me for a CT scan.  He then asked me if I was getting help for my addiction to pain meds?  I was floored.  I had some meds for the surgery, but after that have not asked him for anything in the last three weeks.  He informed me that in the last two year I had about3 Rx for lortab and one darvocette.  I just told him, did he also see how many antibiotics went along w/those.  I have had these infections for the past three years.  I will go for my CT scan tomorrow and I
It is not rare to have continued sinus infections following surgery, although this is not the usual course.  Postoperative swelling can keep the opening of the sinuses closed and therefore the infection persists.  However, if the surgery is successful, the swelling should resolve and the openings of the sinuses should open and allow normal drainage.  In view of how you feel right now about what has happened in the last month, it is a good idea to seek another opinion.
The nasal/sinus irrigation system called Hydropulse might be of help for you. Just do a search for it online to get more info on it. I have chronic Post Nasal Drip due to sinusitis and I have bought one of them recently, and it has improved it reasonably well, and as you suffer from just sinus infection you could benefit from this more as it cleans your sinuses really well. Also this product is not as expensive in the US as it is here in UK. :)
Good luck,
Avine
ACCUTANE,--- did you take it in your past?