Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Spirometry results
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Spirometry results

What do these results mean from a recent spirometry test:

Fev1   1.45
FVC    1.27

Related Discussions
242588_tn?1224275300
These spirometry results are not valid.  The FVC cannot be smaller than the FEV1.  In addition, one needs to know predicted values to interpret any data.
4 Comments
Blank
I couldn't edit this, but thought I might add more info with a comment. The patient with these results is a 70-year-old caucasian male.
Blank
gee i wish i could blow out more air in one second thats in my lungs
Blank
Thank you, at least I know this test needs to be repeated. Maybe the numbers were transposed by the nurse. He has severe pulmonary interstitial fibrosis and history of spontaneous tension pneumothorax. After posting this, I found a spirometry calculator online and input the numbers, transposed, numbers indicating 30% to 35% lung function. But since this result is invalid, I guess I still don't know the answer to my question.  

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Blank
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker