Straining to complete yawn, yawning all day, feel i just need a deep breath.
I have had this problem for a long time, but in the last year it has gotten worse and I cant stand it.  I regularly go through periods where I feel the need to yawn or get a deep breath and I just cant. I try and try over and over to yawn (causing me to get head aches), and finally accomplish it just to need  to yawn again. I am a sleepy person all the time,  but  the  straining  to yawn thing  makes me  crazy! I also have increasingly bad short term memory problems (at only 25), could this be connected to the yawning, and lack of oxygen to the  brain? could I  have asthma?  thank you so much for any help you can give me.
Hi... I find this all very interesting.  I have been reading numerous entries in a variety of forums that all  relate to the same symptoms, but i haven't seen any plausible, concrete advice or evidence that anyone has any real knowledge about what could be causing this.  I, too, am suffering from this wierd "need to yawn, SOB, frustration with breathing regardless of the circumstance~rest, exercise, vertical, horizontal, etc."  I do notice it more at rest than I do when I'm up and around, although it did it on the treadmill at the gym yesterday.  I also notice it when I am eating??  It is REALLY frustrating and can be embarassing to be gasping for a deep breath when you are out and about with friends or whatever.  I do not believe that it is all related to stress.   I am a school teacher, and have not worked since May 31, so my stress level is lower now than it ever is.  Does anyone have any answers here?  It seems like an aweful lot of us are out here suffering the same symptoms in silence.  I do have to say that it is comforting (in a strange way!)  to know that there are others out there, though, and that I am not dying or anything (I hope!~)  Please comment if you know of anything that can be done about this besides asthma treatments and yoga.  Been there and done that.  thanks...
I am 58 years old and have started having the same weird "need to yawn" and most times can not.  It started several weeks ago after I had taken hydrocodone for 2 or 3 days.  I am scheduled to see a pulmonologist but is there any other type of doctor who may have more knowlege of the problem? Right now, all I can do is take xanax to keep me half way calm but it is affectivng my appetitie, relationships etc.  Somebody, please help!!!!
i feel the say way. i feel like i need to yawn or sigh wth  a deep breath constantly. i mean we are talking every 5 minutes all day long for 6 months now. i have had heart tests... nothing but PACs, i had a breathing test and all normal so why do i still feel the need to contstantly take a deep breath or yawn to get it. is this happening cuz i am thinking about it too much?? how many deep breaths a day is normal... if anyone has any advise please let me know and good luck volsy i hope we can get an answer...  
I too feel the same way...for about 2 months now and just about everyday, some days it's all day long. Some days are worse than others & on top of the breathing issues it makes me feel very lethargic, not to mention that my chest & throat start to hurt from all that deep breathing/yawning!  I am a little scared because I know this isn't normal breathing.  If anyone finds out anything I would be grateful to hear the diagnosis.  I can't believe how common this is...good luck to everyone!!!
I think alot of what we are experianceing is the body releaseing adrenaline through the flight or fight response. A type of anxiety that causes the body to release high amounts of adrenaline causeing the muscles to be tense giving the sensation of squeezing or the inability to breath in deep. This in turn causes a more downward spiral effect causeing the symptoms to appear real, which sends us into it again and again mentally and our stresses manifest physically. You cant seperate the thought life from the physical body. Look what a sexual  thought does to physical parts of the body.  Ever notice the symptoms are less when your busy doing somthing or not thinking about it. Ask yourself how much in a day you are thinking about the yawning, which is a reaction to the obsession. A way we cope or recieve temprol comfort.  Your all not dieing which if folks were honest enough is the underlying fear that sends so much in motion. Fear of Death is the king of terrors and we as humans just dont like excepting it yet we are forced to think about it. Then the burden of false shame or embarassment which leaves people suffering in silence. Thats to much of a load to carry. Thank God for sites like this where we can be comforted. Sometimes knowing others understand and feel you is 90% of the cure to anxiety. I would say that what your all experianceing is a form of anxiety either real imagined or post traumatic in nature.
It is NOT stess people!! Yes, it is stressful to not be able to breathe, but stress is NOT the cause! I have had this problem since I was a child (about 5 years old), and now I am 30 years old and 6 months pregnant. It is also NOT from the baby pushing into my lungs. I wasn't stressed out OR pregnant at 5 years old!! It scared me so badly that I went to my ob/gyn and she scheduled me with a pulmonologist and a cardiologist. My lung funtion is perfect--as though I work out all the time, which I don't because I can't breathe!! My oxygen levels were at 98% too which is great. My EKG was normal too. The problem does get worse when I ly down and when I eat. The cardiologist thinks it's acid reflux which can cause wheezing, coughing, shortness of breathe, etc; even without having heartburn which has not been a problem for me. I have been on Nexium for 5 days now, and I feel slightly better, but was up all last night because I couldn't breathe, then around 3:30am I was fine! I have an echocardiogram shceduled for this afternoon. I'm sure it will be fine too. I've also read that anemia or hypothyroidism can cause this. I'm not anemic and my thyroid levels are perfect at a TSH level of 1.8.
I'll keep you posted on the echo, and if I feel better in a few days on the Nexium. I'm praying for all of us who suffer!!
I have a severe yawning problem, which has worsened now that I am 31. I sleep more than usual, when 7-8 hours of sleep would be enough, now I sleep 11-12 hours at night. I yawn all day long and I have noticed increased headaches and short term memory loss. I also have no energy to do anything. I used to be entergetic and always getting up and doing athletic things, and now it takes everything I've got just to go to the store. I am on Lexapro, which is an anti-depressant, and I know that taking such medications have side effects and one of them is excessive yawning. I just want answers and to get my life back on track and my energy level where it used to be. Good luck to all and hope to find the answer to our unusual yawning problem.
I have been taking Nexium for about 2 weeks now...there has been about a 40% relief with my breathing symptoms. I never get heartburn anymore though, which is great. I didn't realize how upset my stomach was until I started the Nexium; but I'm pregnant, so I just expect to not feel very well. I know it takes 4-8 weeks for the Nexium to actually heal the damage, so I will still give it a shot. I just read on another forum that several people feel like they have something stuck in their throat--I do too, and they said it was acid reflux too...even without severe heartburn. Hopefully this is the answer. I would love for it to be! I have a hard time not eating late at night because I always need to eat due to the baby, so maybe my symptoms will take a little longer to subside. For those of you who can, try to see a Gastroenterologist and have some tests done, or at least talk to the doctor about trying Nexium. It may just be the answer. I still don't have my test results back from the echocardiogram done on my heart--they also took pictures of my throat, so maybe that will reveal something; I will keep you all informed!
I've been on Nexium for acid reflux for over 3 weeks now and I can breathe SO MUCH BETTER!! All my lung function test and heart scans came back perfectly fine. I guess the reason I couldn't breathe was acid reflux. Even without heartburn, acid reflux can cause shortness of breath, wheezing, and a feeling of not enough air in the lungs, which can make you feel like you need to yawn in order to get a good breath of air. I know sometimes the breathing difficulties come and go, so I am still a little bit weary that it may return even being on Nexium. But for now, I can breathe and I'm SO happy!!! Check into this!!!! You can do a search for "breathing difficulties + acid reflux" and you will find a lot of information on it. I understand this isn't the cause of everyone's breathing difficulties, but I bet it's a cause of many--it was for me! Too bad my lung doctor NEVER mentioned anything about that!
So interesting! I'm so glad I found this thread because I too have been experiencing the same problem. I am 23 and a few weeks ago I went to the ER (2 different ER's actually in 2 days!) because I thought I was having a heart attack. A week or so before I went to the ER I woke up one morning with a pain in the upper left side of my back that felt sore or strained when I leaned or stretched a certain way and also felt a tightness and a dull ache when I inhaled deeply. That persisted and then about a week after I felt very short of breath and like I couldnt get a deep satifying breath in. It felt like instead of the air filling my lungs all the way, the air would go a little into my lungs and the rest would just sort of evaporate in my throat. I also noticed I was CONSTANTLY yawning, or trying to yawn. Once again, it was like my breath was just getting caught somewhere in my throat and wouldnt go all the way into my lungs. I was also dizzy, lightheaded, completely wiped out and weak. When I went to the ER they did bloodwork, an EKG, took chest xrays and gave me a full body catscan. They didnt see anything wrong with my heart, no collapsed lung, no pulmonary embolism. The doctor assumed it was axiety or stress and sent me home (same thing as the 2nd hospital I went to 2 days later who did their own tests)  Now about 3 weeks after my ER visits my symptoms have gone away for the most part however I still have the pain in my back and sometimes I get that same frequent urge to yawn, yet can't. What could be causing this?? Its so frustrating.
I've been having the same problem. I always have a "Need to yawn" as you put it, and usually it just doesn't seem to have filled my lungs. I also suffer from a memory loss, and perhaps this may account for deprived levels of Co2 or oxygen to my brain, as someone mentioned. I also began to notice a sharp pain on the right side of my ribs, every time I inhale deeply. It is quite reasurring that I am not the only one with these symptoms. It is strange however, because I am only 17 and this has been happening for a number of years now (and I have been ignorant in believing it would go away) and people think I'm sleep deprived when I am yawning constantly at school, even though it can be a bore. I exercise, I am a long-distance runner, and I also get sharp heart pain as well, which the doctors have no explanation for. I don't know what causes this, but I am not the type that indulges in activities that would cause lung problems (ie. smoking etc) I shall be going to a doctor to see what they say, but looking at this thread, it does not seem like a solid and concrete cure, or even an investigation will continue on. For all the people that suffer this in silence, and no one has really paid close attention to what is causing this, it is quiet concerning.
Yawning is a neural and muscular reflex mechanism that occurs from the brain stem. Is it possible that a virus could damage that mechanism? We've got so many new viruses from mutation and they've been know to affect every part of our body. Also, apparently yawning may be controlled by the hypothalamus, through neurotransmitters and hormones. Maybe it might be time to see a neurologist to see if you have any luck there..

Something interesting:
(Migraines)"Prior to the headache phase and at the very beginnings of the migraine attack, there is a drop in magnesium levels, which is believed to be a destabilizing factor causing the nerves in the brain to misfire17 (one theory behind types of visual aura). At the same time, increased dopamine activity is observed, which has been connected with such prodromal symptoms as mood change, yawning and drowsiness." (www.pamcurtis.com/What_is_Migraine-Pam_Curtis.doc) Pointing to the brain again.

There's another interesting article, especially paragraph 9:
http://www.baillement.com/askenazy-arousal.html

"Excessive yawning is also associated with opiate withdrawal and the consumption of a variety of drugs that affect neurotransmitters, such as drugs prescribed for Parkinson's disease or depression.
("http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C653304.html)
How many of us have been on medication for depression?

Good Luck, I hope you all find a cure soon. :)
I have for the last month been suffering from the above mentioned. I can obviously breathe right then all of sudden I try to take a deep breath and I cant. It almost feels like it starts to develop then it stops. That is also the case when I am trying to yawn. I wanna yawn then I cant and I keep trying until i am finally able to do so.

Whats even more frustrating is that I get the urges to yawn more now. And I am not even tired!  I have also started to notice that I am getting a little light headed also, but not everyday.

I went to an ER and the dr on duty told me I was suffering from an anxiety attack.  I am sorry an anxiety attack that last for 4days? I dont think so. I know what at anxiety attack feels like and clearly this is not it.  I have a Dr.s Appt set up for this tues and I am hopinghe can tell me what it is, or else i want a referral for a pulmonologist!

Its also really hard for me to go to sleep now cause of this. I wake up feeling like I cant breathe.
I AM ADDRESSING YOUR YAWNING ISSUE!!! I TOO HVE HAD THIS AND IF IT IS LIKE WHAT IVE HAD ITS ALL FROM TOO MUCH CHEST BREATHING AND NOT ENOUGH FULL BELLY BREATHING. I AM A MASSAGE THERAPIST AND I HAVE TO DO THIS ON A REGULARY BASIS. WHEN YOU BREATH FROM YOUR CHEST TOO MUCH IT CONTRACTS AND CAUSES YOU TO NOT GET EHOUGH OXYGEN AND THEREFORE MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE YOU CANT GET A FULL DEEP BREATH. SO TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, LAY FLAT AND BREATH THRU YOUR STOMACH SO TO SPEAK ... EXTEND YOUR BELLY OUT AND FILL IT WITH AIR LIKE YOUR BREATHING THRU IT. THIS WILL HELP YOU TREMENDOUSLY.

GOOD LUCK
ANGELA
I've been experiencing this problem for the last few months. I can take deep breaths but it doesn't feel refreshing. This causes me to yawn to try and get the full lung/stomach breath. I've tried breathing exercises, yoga but it doesn't seem to help. I was very surprised to see so many people with the same problem.
This seems to be a symptom seems to be connected to a lot of problems right from acid reflux or GERD to anemia, hypothyroidism, sleep apnea and heart problem. But I don't have the other symptoms related to any of the above diseases.
I feel weird, coz some days it's worse than others and people around me have started noticing.  
I didn't have any symptoms of acid reflux either--I just couldn't breathe. I was very hesitant to take Nexium that my cardiologist suggested because the breathing issue was my only symptom. It is working though. I know it could be other things too for you, but I'd check it out if I were you, if just to rule that out.
It really is embarrassing. One day I was at my desk (one of 3 in a front lobby) and I kept yawning and a customer in line for another desk kept making comments on me being tired. He wouldn't stop, every time I yawned and finally I just left my desk until I knew he was gone! Leave me alone people! ;p I'm trying to breathe! =) Good luck!
I just developed this problem in the last month and a half. I have asthma. I feel like I'm drowning. I take Singulair, albuterol inhalers, AND albuterol solution in a nebulizer. The nebulizer helps a teeny tiny bit but not much and I have to do the whole treatment and it makes my heart feel like I've just ran a race. It more than doubles my heart rate and the beating is so HARD. I hate it. I feel hopeless. I'm going to make another Dr. Appointment and ask about the Nexium. Thanks.
p.s. I wonder if MY problem has anything to do with ragweed. I live in Mississippi and a neighbor told me it is high right now. I don't really know how to look that up on the internet but I AM allergic to ragweed. Comments would be appreciated.
Also, I quit smoking a year and a half ago
I have had this for the past 4 days.  It came on after I suffered from seasonal allergies on this past sunday.  By Sunday night, ,my chest was tight and I could not breath for about 2hrs.  I was better on Monday, but then I noticed I keep trying to get a full breath and now I cant stop yawning.  I went to the Pulmonologist Tuesday.  All breathing tests were normal.  I had an EKG and it was normal.
This is getting annoying and really bothering me.  I dont know what to do
genaa27
I'm new to this sight, but am grateful to have found it.  I have been suffering for three years now..miserable, can't stop yawning.  I'm miserable by days end from yawing all day...several times ever minute...and even after yawning..the relief is seconds long, cause another is required right behind it.  I have had every test from heart to lung to sleep apnea...tried many drugs, anxiety, depression, wakefulness....puzzled the doctors.  Thought maybe even this could be related to my implants, but unless all of you have had implants, I don't any longer think that is the cause (but I don't want to rule out anything...I just want it fixed).  I will be asking to try Nexium (thank  you pregnant and breathless), and will be practicing the stomach breathing (thank you Alapp1212)...

Anything that has caused anyone even temporary relief...please share...I now have an additional system of which my chest feels like an overinflated balloon.
You are suffering from overbreathing, check you are diaphram breathing mouth closed will sleeping all breathing through nose at all times as you bomp grows theres less room for correct breathing. this over breathing causes spasums in all including uterus remember to give birth you must be fully dialated this a problem for hyperventlors check doc. slow down breathing increase CO2 in your blood and that of your unbourne
your yawn is from low CO2 sensing in your brain, check bood gas, resting calm CO2 should be high, as a result the yawn is your brain sencor thinking you have high blood CO2 when you in fact have low CO2 this yawn and shy is overbreathing causing fatige mouth brething. check with GP
Not only a question, but comments.  I have been suffering for 3 years of excessive yawning.  The yawning causes extreme discomfort by days end.  I have visited the doctor many times, had many tests done, gallons of blood drawn, cardiograms, pulmonary specialiests, sleep specialists, bone scans, been on many meds, depression, wakefulness, yadda...yadda..yadda....the doctor finds nothing, I feel stupid and leave embarrassed...but so uncomfortable that I don't want to go on like this.  Why can't they fix me.

I've read so many comments here and for the first time I don't feel alone...this in itself has helped me...for two days I feel my symptoms are slightly better...or maybe the upteenth drug I've been given to try has helped.  I am specific, non narcotic and non addictive...also I don't like drugs that make me sleepy...I have a full day ahead of me every day.

My concern here is...all I"ve ready is the same course of action, cardiogram, pulmonary specialist, sleep studies...then drugs....what about a doctor that thinks out of the box.  This isn't normal...it can't be normal...I want to feel alive and like I used to.  I recall the day it happed, Oct 17 2004...that's along long time.  What about a rare disease not identified on an xray that attacks our muscles, lungs?  What about the brain...I haven't heard many that physicians ruled out the brain....I don't feel stressed, I don't feel depressed...although this breathing is taking a toll on me...I'm a happy blessed individual that enjoys hiking, exercise, crocheting...readhing....many many interests...and even work...I don't dread work.

I am not going to rule out all I've read above and am highlighting everything I haven't tried that others says works for them....I'll discuss with my doctor...He'll phone in anything he's so puzzled and swears he'll write a journal when we figure it out.  

But it's not just the need to yawn 3 times every minute...it is the strain it is taking on my body.  My chest can hurt and fell tight (nothing wrong with the ticker we've already ruled that out.

I'm taking all these printouts to my doctor....there has to be one doctor that wants to take a stand....something is wrong.

I'll keep reading everything anyone posts...deperate
k
I am new to this page but find it very informative.  My daughter who turned 6 in September, has recently come down with this "need to take a deep breath" thing.  She says she has no pain with it. I notice that it gets a little worse when she eats.  If she is active, like running or engaged on the computer, it isn't as bad.  I told my husband about it a few days after I noticed it and he told me that he has had it for as long as he can remember.  Could it be a genetic thing?  He told me that he gets rid of the feeling by yawning.  His doesn't seem to be as bad as others that I have read here.  And he did say that his gets worse if someone brings it up. ( When we were talking about my daughter, he yawned about 15 times in 10 minutes).  This is very puzzling and I can't help but t feel sorry for her.
She has never complained about it but I can't help but feel that it's driving her crazy.  Anyway, I plan on taking her to the pediatrician to see if they can shed any light on this subject.  Thanks to all who have written.
I've suffered this now for almost a year. It started by constantly sighing, taking a deep breath and not feeling relieved or only for a minute or so. I have breathed through my mouth my whole life, i dont know why but i'd say i breath 90% through my mouth.
My symptons are getting worse the more i think about it and especially on sundays when i'm not doing much. I think i am also developing pannick attacks when i am in a long taxi ride, traffic or at a restaurant because when my breathing starts to go or something doesnt feel right, i start worrying a lot and sure i unsettle my breathing even more to the point where i worry.
I've had a blood test and Xrays on my lungs and nothing was wrong. the doctor just said 'anxiety' and gave me some 40mg propranolol to take 3 times a day. I find it helps sometimes if i am out and take the pills, but i dont really feel any improvement with these drugs.

I'm sure this is a psychological thing, perhaps severe anxiety. I'm 23 year old male entrepreneur abroad, so do suffer some stress but i would say i was happy with the way things were going.

If anyone can help me to stop this it would be amazing. It's taking over my life a bit now and i'm staying in a lot more than i used to
I have been having those breathing problems since the end of May and the allergist told me to take Prilosec, but I have been very nervous to take them.........he said that he thinks I have silent reflux and that the pills would help..........I am going to see a gastro. in dec. when my insurance kicks in to see if that's the true problem.........I have also been experiencing throat burning and conjestion in my nose, which my airways feel like they are closing and I can't breath........is the nexium still helping you and do you think it will help me?..........is pepcid ac the same as prilosec and nexium? will it help? Does anyone know if Prilosec is safe?........Thank you...........:-)
I have been visiting this forum for almost two years now and I am so shocked everytime I come here and see all the comments posted.  I have had this problem since December of 2005, which was my first trip to the ER.  I, like a lot of you here, have had every test done under the sun.  All of which came back negative.  I have also at one point, printed out this string of comments and given to my doctor just to show her this is real and that it is not just me.  She has prescribed aciphex, which is just like Nexium and I take it but it doesn't seem to help.  I also have xanax which I only take when it is really bad because I am thrown into such a panic attack I am looking for ANYTHING that will help me.  I do find that it is worse when I eat and I full so full that I can't breath, no matter how much I eat.  But I yawn all day long, trying to catch that " one deep breath".  I continue to go to the doctor about every six months so if nothing else she can at least do blood work and re-assure me that there is nothing wrong there.  I don't know what it is, what causes it, but it is obviously a BIG problem for a lot of people.  I have tried  all the breathing techniques that I have seen people post here and I will admit that sometimes really paying attention to diaphram breathing instead of chest breathing helps but only sometimes.  It doesn't always help.  For the last week I have gotten very little sleep because of not being able to breathe good.  I will continue to read here and hope someone can help!!!
I have been to the er three times in the past year for breathing issues and they tell me I am fine..........one dr. told me that I was hyperventalating, because I kept tkaing those deep breaths just trying to get a good one.............The allergist is the one that told me he thinks it is due to acid reflux and to try the prilosec, but I am trying the pepcid ac, cause if that works then I don't need a stronger one.........maybe you should ask your dr. if switching would be better..............and anxiety definitely makes it worse, along with physically doing anything, which just sucks, because I have always been able to clean my house and I have not been able to hardly anything for almost two years now without some sort of reaction whether it is the breathing or the burning in my nose and mouth............but I will let you know if the dr I see can tell me anything.........:-)
I too have had some of the same symptoms, yawning, sighing, can't catch my breath or feel like i am not able to take in a "good" breath. My doctor doesn't know what this is and isn't even offering anymore testing. i too notice that my symptoms get worse after eating. i can do some physical things but not others....especially somethings that require arm movements. I get chest pain especially on the left side running down to the rib cage and around the back to the shoulder blade, with pain going up and into the collar bone and into the jaw are. i experience weakness in one or both arms, especially in the forearm region. Numbness and tingling in the fingers, toes, and lips. The worse the symptoms get the less i sleep, the less i sleep the worse it gets. oh, and i know what you mean about it getting worse when people mention it.This has been happening on and off for over a year now. i have asthma, and am on singular, advair, and flonase. I have had all the cardio tests run...negative, i have had tons of pulmonary test done...all normal. Except one test, a VO2 test that showed that there was an abnormality between the respiratory and cardiac functions. They are trying to send me 2 states away for a week of tests at the Jewish National hospital, but I don't think it will do any good and then we will just be out the money. isn't there a respiratory doctor out there who can help, at least try to answer our questions????  I also have been found to have an unusual amount of calcium deposits in my lungs, that show up on x-ray...anyone else???
My daughter  has a new symptom of coughing.  She says she feel like there's something in her throat but the cough is unproductive and seems to be worse at night.  She has been diagnosed with a post nasal drip problem in the past which I have to give her cough medicine consisting of Promethazine w/codeine syrup.  That is the only thing that helps her.  My younger son has been diagnosed w/asthma so maybe there's some connection there.  Sci_teacher, did your symptoms start before or after you were diagnsed w/asthma? I am taking my daughter to the pediatricin Nov. 21st and will write when I return, hopefully with some sort of answer.
Have you been to a gastro? You may want to look into to seeing one to see if it is related to acid reflux.........just a thought............:-)
I am 39, I was diagnosed with Asthma at 18, I too have coughing that worsens at night. Sometimes it is so bad that I cannot sleep. I take Promethazine also, and it does help. Flonase has helped with all of the sinus drainage and stuffyness. Good luck at the doctor, let me know if he helps. Also, let him know that there are others out there with the same symptoms and it is not just Asthma.
I have been to the ENT and been scoped, I do not have any abnormalities in my mouth, throat, nose, larynyx, vocal cords, or trachea nor any signs of acid reflux.
well, at least you don't have that issue............I wish I could help, but I have no other thoughts on it.........please let us know if you find out..........God bless you and take care.
forcing myself to breath through my nose as much as possible has helped somewhat

i've realised i think my nose is to narrow to breath nicely through it so i have always breathed through my mouth
I got an earlier appt. @ the pedatrician for my daughter today.  Her symptom of not beaing able to get a deep breath seems to be getting a little better but now it's this cough and it's worse when she eats.  While eating, she coughs and arches her back and looks up.  She told the doc. today that she needs to do that because she can't get a good cough by doing it the normal way.  I told the doctor about all of you that I have been writing and corresponding to and that my husband has been dealing with this for years, and he really didn't have an answer for me.  Only that it's common for kids and teens to hyperventilate.  When they feel like they need to get a breath, they keep trying and it gets more and more panicky for them.  His diagnosis at this time is Cough Variant Asthma.  Which basically boils down to asthma minus the weezing.  I have to give her 1 vial of albuterol 3 times a day for 3 days and call him to let him know if her cough is better.  She told me today that she was worse when she had lunch.  The doc. said that if that is the case and continues to be the case, then they will explore the possiblility of a reflux problem.  I can't believe that so many people have this and there is no solution yet!!!!! I would love to know where you all live (state).  I live in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.  Maybe it's in the air! I have read that the Lehigh Valley is one of the worst places to live as far as asthma goes and so far, it's been proving true in my family. I know none of this is helpful for you all but I thought I'd tell it anyway.  I personally don't have this condition but live w/2 people who do and I can't even imagine how hard it is to deal with on a daily basis.  I'll write on Monday and let you know if anything has improved.
Well, I live in Florida and thought it was the heat of the summer at first, but it is not that. Maybe it is something in the air...........:-(
The feeling that your lungs have air in them, but you still need to "get more air in", by taking a deep breath or yawning, is a symptom of ASHTMA.

Most GPs don't recognize the symptom. I was told this by my Allergist/Asthma doctor.
I am 46 and i have had this feeling of "yawnness" since at least 12/15 years ago; i have lived in Brazil for over 20 years on the seaside and also in cities with no beaches and it didn't make a difference, now i live in NYC and the condition  became really sharp, i think i yawn or i try to yawn 25/30 times a day; the feeling of claustrophobia is bigger in NY, but my apetite for success make me love this city, though sometimes i think this is really boring...
Anyway,
never went to the doctor in so many years; i have an excess of energy, i do not feel tire at all, but i need to yawn; i am willing for doing more and more stuff all the time; i sleep between 6 and 8 hours a day ( including eventual naps); the problem really obsess me but after so many years of carrying this condition i assume the emotional causes of a psychological problem that has its origins in my childhood.
Anxiety and fear of death,  selfmania, permanent boredom, existential boredom, self absortion, etc. can cause the soul to wish to scape from the body in the fashion of yawning...  
I hope to throw some light for somebody here.
Peace.
I forgot to add that i do not take medications, i am drug free, i drink with moderation and i smoke two or three hand rolled cigarettes a day.
I am an ex dancer. I am a bike rider and sometimes i feel like yawning while riding, its horrible.
I repeat, i don't take any medication except for tylenoil once in a while.
However there's two activities that i practice each time i can and i do not notice myself yawning or trying to yawn while performing this two activities: swimming or having sex.

Any suggestions....?
I agree with the comment on 11/10 - This is asthma without the wheezing.  Alburterol should help.  Mine usually comes at the same time of the year indicating an allergy reaction to something in the air.  It is VERY aggravating but go with the asthma angle and you should get some relief.
My first suggestion would be to stop smoking immediately. You really should see a pulmonologist maybe they could give you medication to help alleviate your symptoms. Also just a suggestion for everyone: Instead of yawning so much have you tried raising your arms? This elongates the chest cavity and allows the lungs to expand easier, i find i can do this when i am sitting and it helps a little.
I started these symptoms about 3 weeks ago. I first noticed it on afternoon, and it lasted until I went to bed. Getting to sleep was very hard as I always felt like suffocating was likely to occur at any moment. I never sensed that I was actually low on oxygen but the attempt to yawn and inability to do so induced an almost panic feeling. Occassionally I could manage a yawn only to feel the need for another within less than a minute. Over the course of the last couple of weeks it got worse, till finally it entered my head the moment I woke up and stayed with me till I went to sleep. IT IS MERCILESS and very hard to explain to others.
After searching on the internet, trying breathing exercises, calling my cardiologist and talking with everyone that would listen I think I have found the solution, at least for myself. Here is what I think:

Something has caused me to become aware of my breathing, I think it was a visit to the dentist recently in which I was trying to control my anxiety to have a tooth ground down for a crown.

Once I became aware of my breathing I think I begin to try to meter it, which was my first mistake. All it took was trying to yawn one time and not being able t,o and it started a small but growing panic. From what I have learned in my research, one purpose of yawning itself is as an instinctual reaction to panic, perhaps allowing an increase in oxygen for the fight or flight reflex. Regardless, my body felt no honest need to yawn so it did not happen. I don't think we are supposed to yawn on command, it is an automatic action that happens as needed. Trying to yawn to calm our unrational, unnessesary panic creates a visious cycle. If we wake up thinking "my god, i might have problems breathing, yawning again today, we in fact will have that problem, and within 30 minutes be totally absorbed with our inability to yawn on command. I was going crazy, unable to concentrate on anything except my next yawn, which only gave me about 1 minute of pure peace at the most.

Convinced that this was a anxiety/panic issue, I was able to obtain Valium to see if it helped. I tried 5mg to start and it really did not help much. On the second day I tried 10mg every 4 hours and by the afternoon, the urges had almost stopped completely. I repeated that dosage on the third day and seldom even thought about the problem. Yesterday I was able to do without the Valium until early afternoon. I made the mistake of trying to yawn and when I could not I felt the cycle starting again. This morning I got up and decided I would do everything in my power to not even try and yawn. By not trying I never got the panic message that I could not do it. I also felt a GREAT comfort knowing that if the panic cycle started, that I had the medicine in my pocket to make it stop. The combination of these actions has allowed my to precariously avoid the problem all day today without any Valium. If I wake up tommorrow and need them, I will take them, but I feel certain that in short order this will go away. If it returns, if some event starts the cycle over, I know I can break the panic.

Just remember, an anxiety/panic attack can happen very quietly, deep inside with you barely aware that it is growing. Our fight or flight reflexes respond very quickly and powerfully. They are there to save our life but can sometimes make it misserabole.

Please understand I am not a doctor or medical professional, just a person trying to cope with this bizarre issue. But I know it has turned around like night and day and I am a VERY VERY happy person.
wiltonh3, i think you are right. About 10 years ago, I went thru this very same thing. Felt the need to yawn, couldnt get enough air and started this huge cycle that lasted about a month. Fast forward to today, and I'm going thru it again!

For me, I believe its like what Wiltonh3 said. Panic/anxiety. A vicious cycle of thinking I cant breathe, panicking about it then starting it all over again. I noticed that when Im deeply involved in a show/book or about ready to go to sleep, I do not do this. Its not in my thoughts so the need isnt there. But as SOON AS i think of it again, it starts back up. I also find that I'm getting dizzy by doing this and am frustrated in my every day life because of it.

I havent tried valium (yet). One thing I read that I found interesting in this forum, someone mentioned yawning started at the brain stem. I recently noticed a hugely enflamed lymph node that was hurting. Went to the doc about that and he said my body was fighting off an infection..staph or strep, and now im antibiotics. Im not sure if the infection could be causing this or what. but i know the more i worry, think,stress about it, the worse it gets.

Its awful and im sorry everyone is going thru it, but it sure feels better knowing i'm not alone!
Try the valium if you can get it prescribed. Let me know how it goes for you.
I also get this and I only get it when thinking about it....its like i feel im hyperventilating even though when I check im not...if anything im just breathing too deep...but then isnt breathing too deep the same as hyperventilating....but anyway.....if any of you, like me have noticed that it is worse when you are thinking about it or that it only comes on when you are not distracted...its probably panic.....and to those suggesting that it is asthma.....im going through it as I type this yet my peak flow is telling me my asthma is ok...so therefore it isnt nessecarily asthma. Check anxiety symptoms and if you have any of these as well as the breathing it might just be anxiety...even though I know (and agree) that it feels much much worse than anxiety you get when you just a little nervous about something. And I think the pure fact that you have all typed about your problem on here proves your eve if just a little bit, anxious about it.....just my thoughts...but I could be wrong!

hope it gets better for u all
Found this forum looking for an answer to my yawning to breathe.  I had my first yawning episode after a topical treatment at a dentist and ended up in an ER.  Was sent to a doctor for allergy testing.  I was told I had a tolerance allergy to metabisulfite, a food preservative. It is in so many foods and doesn't always have to be labeled.  It is used to clean the lines in fountain drinks, in iv meds, and many other things. Just had another huge reaction to an iv flush. Now my yawning occurs way more.  At least a doctor in ER did research on sulfite allergies and came to believe me that it wasn't just "stress".  Am trying to work on my increased episodes.  Any ideas?
Do you yawn constantly or find yourself trying and not being able to yawn?
I try to yawn a few times and then I feel like I get a big breath and then I can yawn.
i remember having this for a few months in the third grade and then for years it went away. in my mid twenties it came back and i have had a problem with the needing to yawn and not getting a deep enough breath ever since. have been told many things am on qvar inhalor have tried nexium protonix and anxiety drugs. i KNOW its not anxiety but can cause it especially initially because it is so unusual and disruptive. I do have hypothyroidism but experienced this before i got it. the one thing i notice is that i started to develope it when i started gaining weight. i was also heavier in the third grade. my eyes usually water when the yawning gets bad. i notice it even more when i eat and at night. i've been to so many dr.s with no solution. is anyone else overweight. i think it might have some part to play.
f.y.i- i too have had calium deposits found in my lungs and calsified lymph nodes in my lungs. it makes me want to cry to see others in my situation for the first time i feel i am not alone. and i wonder what effects this will have on my lungs when im older. please if anyone would like to get in contact directly especially the woman who found calcium deposits in her lungs my email is ***@****. i have done are sarcoidosis after they found the granuloma and wonder if there could be a correlation.
Oh my God....I was starting to think I was crazy in the head...But obviously I am not since there are so many others out there with these exact same things that I have.  Feeling like I could yawn and yawn and yawn, and not always getting the  breathe of air I need to feel better...which like someone else stated is a very short lived relief.  I too have had test upon test to try and figure all of this out...They say my heart, lungs, ect all looks good.  I had the blood gas test, that was fine...  I was put on anxiety drugs, which is great because I suffer from anxiety...have my whole life.  I feel like the drugs have greatly improved that, however I was hoping the yawning and feeling like I can't breathe would go away...It hasn't.  I think the whole yawing, breathing things gives me anxiety.  I have had this for 3 years now.  I went back in and the Dr. increased my Zoloft to 150 mg, and said that if this didn't help I should see a shrink....I just don't feel a shrink is going to help this issue.  I am not mentally unstable.  Anxiety, but I am never depressed.  Someone above stated that some Dr. should think outside of the box..I totally agree and I am going to take all these comments with me to the doctor sometime, and prove to him I am not insane...Thats how they have made me feel.  So on that note, I am going to try the salt thing, and the breathing from my stomach instead of my chest.  I am willing to give anything a shot just to feel normal again.  I pray everynight to God that he helps me feel normal again.  I am only 31 years old..  Thanks to everyone who has posted...I feel a little relieved to know there are others out there...and please if anyone gets an answer on what the heck this is please share ASAP.
Yet another two cases to add to this long list.  I am 30 years old and have had this problem since I was a young child.  I yawn at rest, at dinner, at the gym...you name it.  I have been doing it so long that I don't even notice I am doing it anymore...other people notice and bring it up to me.  My husband thinks I am sighing at him because I am mad...but, I'm not...just subconsciencely "catching" my breath.  My trainer at the gym thinks I not paying attention or that she is boring me as she shows me a particular exercise...not true.  It was ten times worse when I was anemic last year, plus had a case of tachacardia (rapid heart beat at rest.)  Which my doctor said my anemia wasn't "bad" enough to be causing those symptoms.  I had EKG, blood tests and thyroid test...only thing not normal was a slightly low hymiglobin level.  My anemia is gone now, but my excessive yawn/sighing continues.

It use to drive me crazy, but not any more...I have accepted that I will continue to do it for the rest of my life.  I am no longer worried about me, but now focus on my 7 year old son who seems to of had the problem for the past two years.  I have taken him to the doctor, who after examming him says "he just has a bad habit."  I do find it interesting that we both have the same "bad habit."  Something else we share is that we can not run long distances.  My son is the fastest runner in the class, but "poops out" first.  My husband, who was a big track runner in high school, attempted to start training him, but soon quit when he realized our son's severe shortness of breath while running.  Doctor says no asmtha.  What to do??
All I can say is "WOW" I thought I was the only one.  All of these postings are alike!  I too have had CT's of the lungs, stress echos, blood tests, xrays...everything.  Again, written off as anxiety.  Here is the good news....I FOUND A BRIEF SOLUTION...I am still exploring it.  I decided western medicine sucks, it's all about prescribing medicine that's bad for you and pushing you off from the ER feeling like you are crazy.  So, I went to an accupuncturist for my heavy periods and mentioned by problems breathing as well.  Without mentioning is she had put some needles in my lung meridians (painless) and after removing them asked me to breath deeply (I thought yeah right!)  Low and behold I felt the bottom of my lungs...I wanted to cry!  It felt so good!  A full healthy, satiating deep breath.  She said my diaphram is tightly held up into my rib cage and she helped to drop it.  I don't care how crazy or unexplainable it all was, it worked!  It only lasted 3 days.  I started my period (which always makes my SOB worse) and it came back.  I am going back to her next week and will keep everyone posted.

my stats: I am 36 and have 3 young children and workout 5 days a week. I could stand to lose 10-15 pounds.

Let's all please keep posting so we keep our sanity!  Thank you to everyone for sharing your stories.
I am 24, in good health, have no anxiety problems, and have this same breathing symptom. I feel the constant need to yawn, but only occasionally can I get enough air in to satisfy the yawn. When this symptom lingers for hours and days, it can actually make my chest start to feel a bit tight and I can even get a little bit light-headed.I was a high school and college tennis player, so my lungs are strong. What is also strange about that is that it never seems to impact my athletic ability. You think I'd be choking and wheezing on the court, but I seem to get plenty of oxygen (perhaps mental, then?)

I do have acid reflux disease. The problem is I take nexium (have for some time), no longer get heart burn, but have gotten no relief from this breathing nuisance, so I don't think that's the issue.

One thing I have noticed is that this problem almost always correlates very strongly with mucus production. I am constantly clearing my throat of mucus and at night I'll have postnasal drip. I haven't been sick in almost three years - not even a cold, but it feels like I'm always blowing my nose and clearing my throat. The doctor gave me an inhaler, thinking it was asthma, but it seemed to have no effect. Maybe I was using it incorrectly. I'm guessing I do have some kind of allergy, though.

I was a little worried for a while that it was cystic fibrosis, but that seems to be something you're dealing with even as a child, whereas I've only noticed this problem for the past few years.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the mucus is a concurrent symptom, a cause, a result...I just know that with me it seems to be very strongly related to the strange yawning/breathing phenomenon. Those others who in this thread who have this strange problem: Do you notice increased mucus production at the time?
I developed this symptom when I was 12. Need to yawn and need to take deep breath. About 10 years later I was diagnosed with mild exercise-induced asthma. The doctor blamed the asthma for the yawning/deep breath thing.
I am now almost 53. I rarely experience asthma symptoms (went away in my 40's), but I still periodically experience the yawning/deep breath thing. I go over my list of asthma inducers and see nothing that triggered it. I think it is not the asthma.
I'm thinking some autonomic nervous system reaction. The autonomic nervous system has an amazing array of weirdly possible reactions. This just has the feel of autonomic nervous system.
"Do you notice increased mucus production at the time?"

I've had this constant need to yawn "thing" for a while now. It's gotta be somewhat contagious, becauseI wasn't born with this, in fact I remember when I first started to feel ill. It started with extreme muscle pain that lasted for about a week, and being extremely tired. Then my strenght gradually/slowly came back, and incrementaly started to feel less tired, where as now I'm almost back to my pre-yawning illness days. However the yawning is still here, and I found it's related to mucus i get in my sinuses, and one way to relieve it is to drink something hot, like coffee, to liquify the mucus somewhat, to then be able to swallow it. (i now it sounds gross)I also believe this could be the cause of acid reflux, which i also experienced early on, but now not so much.

Exercise definatly helps. When i firt experience the symptoms of yawning I had to sleep 10-12 hours instead of my usual 8, and i woulf feel tired again a few hours later, but now  it's like the tiredness is a phsycological thing now, not a physical thing, because excercise is what has helped me regain my strenght and stamina, to where I was a few years ago. it's been a long road, i haven't beaten it completely yet, but i do find i yawn less often, and when i do it has to do with with some sort of mucus build up in my sinuses. In addition to drinking hot liquids like coffee/ tea/ soup drinking water also has helped me regain my strenght, and short term memory loss. I also find chewing gum helps stop the yawning.

I feel the need to eat more often however, which i think is related to that mucus in my sinuses that drip down through my naval cavity through my mouth and thoat.

I think it's some sort of virus/bactaria in the nasal cavity. anyways I know i'm not the only one with this strange illness, and have been living with it for 10+ years now and getting stronger. also people might want to look into chemtrails and/or gulf war illness... this is not normal.
I find this need to yawn column interesting and reassuring. I have faced this the last three weeks when I actually developed a bad upper respiratory tract infection. The infection subsided in a week but the sensation of not being able to complete a yawn and feel a certain shortness of breath persisted. In fact drove me nuts But i am happy to say that over the last two days when I have rested and taken an antihistamine cough syrup I feel much much better The yawns come easy and i no struggle to breathe
Greetings to All!

The problem being discussed here is related to breathing pattern disorder. Let me explain:

What initiates the problem - Over breathing either in the form of rate (more number of breaths per minute) or volume (excessively deep). When you breathe rapidly, you deplete CO2 levels in your lungs causing an imbalance in the blood pH. This results in symptoms such as excessive yawning/sighing, shortness of breath, tightness of chest, dizziness, fatigue, anxiety, sleep disturbances etc

What sustains the problem - The fear/worry that one has some serious underlying physical/mental illness which the doctors do not understand. Even in the extreme case when one ends up in a panic attack (Hyperventilation Syndrome), where one would end up in a heart-attack like situation, there would be no physiological abnormality in the tests

The solution - The aim is to reduce the breathing rate - the normal breathing rate for an adult is 12 to 20 breaths per minute. The ways in which the breathing pattern could be corrected are listed below:

1. If you breathe through your mouth, stop that immediately

2. If you breathe using your chest (shallow breathing), start abdominal/diaphragmatic breathing. This is how you make out your breathing style - place one hand on your chest and other on your abdomen and start breathing in your normal way. Which hand moves most? If its the upper, you are using your chest

3. This helps significantly: http://youtube.com/watch?v=PXrmCR6Dp5M

4. This helps too: http://youtube.com/watch?v=4hIKv2dsPC8

Initially practicing any of the above could be difficult and frustrating (you are an over breather and it would be hard for you to hold your breath). But soon you would get comfortable and start feeling better within a few weeks

For those who are normally stressed due to personal/professional reasons, they may consider the following as well:

1. Seeing a psychologist to learn to deal with stress and relax

2. Also in a few countries, some certified trainers teach this breathing technique called Buteyko Method, which is reported to have benefited a lot of individuals in correcting their breathing related problems including asthma (reportedly more than 50% of over breathing cases worldwide have been mislabelled and wrongly diagnosed as asthma and those patients are receiving inappropriate medication)

For individuals who experience mood swings/depression, they should read this book by a noted psychiatrist (a bestseller for mood therapy without medication) - Feeling Good by David Burns. The link for this ebook: http://www.esnips.com/doc/795e38e4-14ed-48e2-b6ae-cd76173b8502/Feeling-Good-The-New-Mood-Therapy---David-Burns

Few other points:

1. This condition is a result of just a bad habit (wrong way of breathing). Its can be corrected and is not at all life threatening

2. When you get yawning sensation, you might feel you need oxygen, but it fact there is already a lot of O2 in your system and it is absolutely okay if you are not able to complete the yawn - do not be tense. Getting anxious would worsen the situation and a vicious cycle would set in

3. When you feel shortness of breath, you are not falling short of breath in reality - you are actually over breathing. Deliberately slow down your breathing and you shall feel better

Wishing you good luck and good health

Regards,
Rajesh
Are you a medical professional?  
No. I am a management student. I faced the same problem and happened to learn all this through talking to physicians and extensive reading
Thanks for the tips, but I think you should re-read the comments.

because, this is not simply a breathing pattern problem due to stress or whatever, it's much more than that. Not saying we couldn't benefit from better breathing patterns, just that there's more to this.

This "yawning thing"  has to be caused by a virus/bactaria of some sort (or even a man made bio weapon). What's more is  this "yawning illness" started to surface "when just by coincidence" smoking bans in all public places, workplaces, bars and restaurants throughout all of north america and other countries around the world in the mid to late 90's started being implemented. Just a coincidence? I think not.

People breathing second hand smoke from a person infected by this "yawning illness" would themselve fall ill, I believe that is why countries around the world, all of a sudden started implemented smoking bans.

However, this "yawning thing" is NOT in the lungs, it's in the sinuses. That is why people complain about breathing problem, yet doctor's cannot find anything wrong with the lungs after x-ray and blood work.

We also breath through our nasal cavaty people. Close your mouth for a few minutes. You'll find that you can still get air in and out of your lungs, right? It's that mucus or whatever that drips from the nasal cavity that causes the "yawning thing". I'm no doctor, but I know my body better than anybody, I'm sure of it.

I have kept the explanation simple so that everyone here may understand it. I also tried avoiding the medicine jargon and talking about all the chemistry behind the whole thing

Initially even for me it was hard to believe that such a complex situation might arise out of such a simple mechanism of breathing

The breathing is regulated by brain sensing the CO2 levels in the system. A fall in CO2 leads to hypocapnia (induced by hyperventilation) and this triggers a series of reactions and events from the brain. You may yourself read it up on the internet - there are innumerable resources

I have put stress/worry as one of the causative factors because, in these states, you normally tend to over breathe

Regarding the virus/bacteria/smoking aspect: almost everybody is exposed to all of them, but not all have developed the aforementioned symptoms. But yes, they are harmful, in some other way

Before I end, let me re-iterate: my post is for 'excessive yawning/sighing, shortness of breath, tightness of chest, dizziness, fatigue, anxiety, sleep disturbances' symptoms. If you are experiencing various other things, then pl do consult a physician

Good luck

R
I think you have explained this condition better than anyone on here. It makes total sense. it's pretty much how I feel about it as well.
oh and by the way yes i do notice an increased mucus production during my yawning episodes. After a few yawn in a row i always have to blow my nose. I asked my bf the other day does he have to blow his nose after yawning and he said not at all.
I have had this condition for YEARS!!!  I have researched it, have had every test done and it all comes back to anxiety, even when I don't think I'm anxious about anything!  I have noticed that no one has discussed caffeine.  Sometimes coffee makes it worse and I vow every day to try to go without my daily cup.  I really need to try!
I get short of breath/yawn at the craziest times.  I have found that Ativan helps somewhat.  Any suggestions from anybody else???
a year ago i was smoking weed and then i tried to yawn.i couldnt. my inability to yawn made my heart skip beats and that really scared me. after a week of not even being able to leave my house.i went to the doctor, he said it was anxiety but it just doesnt add up.istopped smoking. i took caffine completly out of my diet and it kind of helped. sleeping is the worst part for me though.its soooo hard.i still havent gotten a yawn and im praying for one or at least sweet death.anythings better than this
Hello everyone! I'm a 27 year old female, and unfortunately, I've experienced SOB and frequent yawning for the last 4 years. It is extremely debilitating, and like many of you, I have had every test under the sun, and the doctors have found nothing wrong. They always ride it off as anxiety, but I'm not really an anxious person. I even told my doctor, the only reason I'm stressed, is because "I CAN'T BREATHE." I agree....it is worse when I'm not keeping busy, and when I'm dwelling on it, and also when I eat. I'm also wondering if any of you have the hiccups or belch frequently??? I hiccup all the time...it's kind of embarrassing during a sales appointment! Anyways, I'd love to hear from others how to cope with this miserable problem. Has anyone found any relief? It's so terrible that so many of us are suffering from this :( I hope we can all get an answer!
Me too!  I first developed this last year shortly after I quit smoking...I went back to smoking and it got better, but didn't disappear.  I too feel like I can't breathe and need to yawn.  I quit smoking again 3 months ago and it does seem to be worse.  I feel like it is not related to stress...I do notice increased mucus aggravates the problem.  When my sinuses seem to be collecting at the back of my throat...I then feel this need to yawn that I can't always complete.  I don't have a cure, but some things that have helped me are breathing from my stomach, breathing into a paper bag as if you've hyperventilated and clearing my nose/throat.  When I get this urge to yawn and I can't complete the yawn, I will often stand up if I'm sitting, or immediately try to turn my attention to something else.  Focusing on the fact that a yawn won't come only makes it worse.  I hope if anyone finds a diagnosis/cure they will come back and let us know!
Oh my Gosh, I too haave this problem and it has been going on what seems like forever.  I'm actually kind  of wierd though, I do not have a pituitary gland. I diagnosed myself after many wasted trips to the ER and decided that it was hormonal in some way.  It does work though if you lie down and take deep breaths.  At first I thought it was stress also, but not so much now.
As many have already said, it is a relief to know that others are having the same embarassing problem.  I hate that people are asking me why I yawn so much or why I breath in such a weird fashion.

I'm almost 28 years old, but only first had this problem last fall.  I thought it might be related to my seasonal allergies (which I have in the spring and fall to pollen and ragweed), but I still had the problem in the winter.  It has definitely been worse as my allergies get worse though.

A first doctor, convinced it was asthma, prescribed Singular and Albuterol, although neither helped.  A second doctor gave me Advair to try for two weeks, and while it did help a little bit, it by no means eliminated the problem.  It maybe made it 20% better.

I still constantly gasp for air and yawn and would love to figure out a solution.  I have no idea where to turn though.  I'm visiting the second doctor again soon in the hopes that some progress may be made, but in reading others' accounts, I don't have high hopes.

Has anybody else been prescribed Advair?  Did it help at all?  Has anybody found a solution that seems to work for them?  The postings I've read seem to indicate changing breathing patterns and maybe something that treats acid reflux (Nexium being the favorite I believe) may be my best alternatives at this point.  Please, any thoughts, suggestions, or comments are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your insight, and thank you to all who have posted thus far.

I too have had this problem for a few months now. I honestly thought it was just me. Every time I mention this to family they just look at me like I'm crazy and so I mostly just stay silent about it and just suffer through it. I have acid reflux and I have been trying to figure out if that could possibly be the problem. It is like I can't breathe and it practically lasts all day. I try to yawn but it's like I can't complete it except very few times and that feels like a big relief but then I go right back to not being able to breathe good. My doctor has just put me on Aciphex and so far I have no relief. I don't know what I am going to do. It makes me feel helpless.
Suffered with it for 30 years..... IT IS ANXIETY.
I tried many many drugs for depression, which I also have, but the ONLY thing that relieved that "I can't take a deep breath, can't finish a yawn . . . . ATIVAN = LORAZAPAM

THAT'S  what finally worked!!!!!!   My son, of couse genetically close to me)  same problem...same relied with Lorazapam.  He also has full anxiety attacks, but I do not.

It took me years to find the combo of meds for me . .
and just like a diabetic needs insulin, the brain chemical deficiency for anxiety/depression may need to be addressed lifelong.  Just do it!!!

Search for "air hunger" on Google and you will find literally thousands of people all with almost identical symptoms to this.

I got so frustrated that I recently set up airhunger.co.uk
You are welcome to come along, read about my experiences and post on the forums.

Best,
Neil
I've had this problem for about thirty years.  I feel like I can breathe ok, just that sometimes that I can't take a deep breath- as if I'm not getting my entire lungs filled.  Like you can't feel satisfied unless you fill that last 20% of your lungs.  So during the day you'll see me taking a deep breath loudly.  Often the only way to take a deep breath is to yawn.  When I'm laying down I have to stick my arms out in a weird way and twist my body in order to yawn and get a good deep breath.  

I've been studying my reactions to this and how it comes and goes.  Now, I'm not a doctor and don't know if you're experiencing the same thing I am or whether you might have an actual condition, I'm just giving my opinion on what I think it is.  I've read a lot of posts of people thinking that they have asthma, etc.

The thing that hits me about what happens to me is this:  I get it more when I think about it.  Ask yourself, Do you sometimes find yourself so busy doing something that this stuff goes away?  And does it get worse once you think about it and take that first deep breath?  That seems to me a sure sign that it's more mental than physical.  

I think it IS cause but stress.  Not major stress, just the stress that comes from everyday living.  So of course people will say that it lessens when they smoke (tension reliever) or take Xanax.  Keep a close eye on this and see if it 'goes away' when your busy doing something but comes back when you think about it.  Then stop worrying so much that you have lung cancer or asthsma.  Of course, I'm doing this stupid breathing thing right now.  Thinking that I'm pretty sure it's not something physical doesn't make it go away.  But I hope if you're like me you will stop worrying a little.
well, my theory is that it is caused by imbalances in our hormonal system. If we have an imbalance, it causes our adrenal glands to go haywire trying to fix the problem, and that excess adrenaline can cause our breathlessness. When we are startled and have an adrenaline surge, we have that breathlessness for a minute, right? Imagine if we had a constant flow of excess adrenaline in our bodies? Adrenaline that is tyring to help us "fight" our illness or imbalance?

Personally, after a couple of years of the above-mentioned constant yawning, and intermitant episodes for years prior to that, my yawning problem was resolved when I was finally diagnosed and treated for hypothyroidism. For my daughter, it was type 1 diabetes.

I noticed a few women say it was worse around their menstrual period - again, a time of the month when we have imbalances.

All of the pollution we breathe, and pesticides and estrogen in our food has to cause some sort of imbalances in our bodies.

For all of the doctors who tell us it's stress, here are your anti-anxiety meds, I think they are partially right. It is caused from stress - the physical and biological stress inside our bodies as we try to adapt to toxic living conditions and hormonal imbalances.
I've had this same problem. I think everyone has actually! Try not to worry about it too much. I've found that when you don't think about it, it isn't important. Really, our breathing feels shallow, but it's all we need! The shallow breaths are ok. If your body NEEDS a deep breath or a yawn, it'll let you do it ;-). I hope that is helpful for you.
This should be an official illness, like, chronic fatigue syndrome got a name, why can't our condition get one?  Everyone thinks I'm crazy too....It's not really fair, but if it's anxiety, maybe I AM crazy and don't even know it  
If it's anxiety, it must really be buried deep inside of me, because I'm not a nervious/anxious person in general and certainly don't feel that way in most any situation.  When this developed in the past year, there haven't been any sort of trigger events that I can pinpoint that would have caused me to suddenly suffer from anxiety.  I suppose I could take some of the meds to see if it works, but I just don't buy the anxiety explanation.

I agree that there should be some sort of diagnosis for this though.
As for horomone explanations, considering I'm a male, that explanation certainly isn't helpful for me.  Are most of the people in this forum female?
I'm a male. looking at the previous post I'd say it's about 50-50 male -female.

another thing, to many people have this unknown illness for it to be anxiety.  

Jeez, even diet pepsi max made a commercial about people yawning all the time.  this illness is in the sinuses, I'm almost sure of it.
Please consider the possibility of hiatal hernia with vagus nerve involvement for the excessive yawning. Both HH and vagus nerve can impact the diaphragm and/or breathing negatively. HH is also implicated in reflux...silent or otherwise which is why Nexium et al can give some relief.  It also explains why many say symptoms are worse after eating or that they also experience hiccoups and belching. Apparently there is also a HH allergies/sinus relationship as well. Google "A Missing link to chronic illness, allergies and longevity? Vagus Nerve Imbalance/Hiatal Hernia Syndrome".

Have been experiencing the yawning thing and an overexcited vagus nerve for a couple of months. Have had a jillion tests as well. Suggested to my doc that it might be hiatal hernia and he said it was very possible and ordered up a CT Scan which I am scheduled to have in a couple of days.
Another possibility linked to this is to see a chiropractor who is also an applied kinesiologist who can check to see if you have a subluxated atlas bone which needs to be adjusted ...this too can affect vagus nerve and breathing negatively if it is out of whack.

Hope this helps.
I am intrigued by your post - I too think this may be related to HH and the vegus nerve.  I have recently been diagnosed with GERD and HH with stricture.  Had the stricture stretched and am now working on using prevacid to help with the GERD (silent = no heartburn) and healing of the scarring.  I am only on 5th day of 45mg.  Not sure it is working yet......or when it will be at it's full effectiveness.  What brought me here is not being able to take a deep breath and the feeling of needing to yawn.  I of course was given xanax as my PCP thought it was anxiety. However the xanax doesn't make the breathing better and now that I have had all the tests done : chest CT (no pulminary embolism), CT of neck (thyroid), stress test and heart ultrasound, barium swallow, endoscopy, and blood........I think it is realted to the GERD/HH/Vegus nerve.  GI docs want me to keep taking the PPI for a while to see if it helps the breathing and yawning issue - say it could be related but no definitive.  So I guess that leaves me confused and frustrated .........this breathing/yawning thing is a daily issue and now a concern.  Any thoughts or places to look for good info..
Hi.
I´m so glad I found a specialist here.  I saw your post on a difficulty breathing forum.  I´m very interested in that not breathing with your stomach but with your chest thing, for it´s the thing I´ve read that I think it´s the closest to what I feel.  I feel that in order to breath deeply I can´t do it.  My neck and upper chest and back strain with so much effort and tension.  I have to help myself with my arms and grab hold of any surface in order to be able to take a deep breath.  I feel this is not normal.  It´s been like this for about three months.  I had the nissen fundoplication 2 months ago, for I had a hiatal hernia and reflux problems.  I don´t know if I still have reflux, for I don´t always feel heartburn.  What can I do to overcome these breathing difficulties if my problem is I´ve been wrongly breathing with my chest?  Any help would be great.  Thanks.
John.
I have noticed that this problem is exacerbated by humidity.  Has anybody else noticed this?  Does anybody know what that indicates?
I am not sure who posted here about relief from this .....I think they may have been pregnant......anyways I am glad to say I have found relief - FINALLY!!

For me it is for sure related to my GERD/HH/Stricture/Vegus Nerve! I have had all the official endo. tests to confirm the above and after a recent stretching of stricture I was put on PPI - prevacid.  At first I was taking too much (60mg perscribed) gave me bad stomach pain, but then reduced per dr. to 45mg and this is working for me.

I have read posts about those receiving relief from different avenues but it is so exciting to finally make a break through for myself.  I, like another poster, have been on the (45mg)  PPI for only a week but the improvement is already noticeable and I am hopeful it will continue to get better and better.  I am grateful to this community for the info. and support.

I also will admit I was very, very sceptical of the PPI's in general and still have concerns about the withdraw factors if I take that route - - - but my quality of life is turning for the better and I am thrilled.  My doc told me some patients don't know how bad they feel until they begin to feel better and I hate to admit this but he was so right - this is exactly how I describe my situation.

So at this time I still have the "can't take a deep breath need to yawn" sensation BUT it has been reduced by almost 40% already.  I think another key component for me will to be to stick to good healthy eating habits and exercise to lose my extra pounds.

Thanks so much for the hope!!
WOW.  You don't even know how happy I am today (even blowing off some work) to find this thread and to realize that I'm not some looney who's been thinking he's near death the last 5 years.

It started back in college (I'm 26 now) when I had my first acid reflux attack.  I've had exercise induced asthma since I was in high school and I was playing hockey and baseball every day, so I never thought twice about it.  After the attack, I had the EKG and all these tests and was put on Prilosec (before it was OTC) and that was that.  A couple of years later, stopped it, and felt pretty fine.

But then I noticed that as my partying increased (aka heavy drinking), I started getting panic attacks and noticed I could never breathe and was always catching my breath.  My atheltic activity also came to a halt and I've put on some weight (maybe 30 pounds over).  So I stopped all of that and now here I am, constantly trying to catch my breath.  Maybe it's some anxiety (Lexapro), but I'm noticing that even normal day to day anxiety (driving a car) sometimes can get to me.  It sounds dumb, but smoking helps (in the grand scheme, I know it doesn't), but it forces me to breathe and get it back.

The yawning is horrible and I've done the sleep studies and have a deviated septum, but the X-Rays and stoiciometer comes back fine.  I might get a CPAP machine, but I want to find out the root cause of the problem.  I would just like to feel normal again and not feel like a flake all day.  I got a very good job and I love everything about it, and sometimes it's just so up and down with this feeling of something in my chest.  

I'm going to look at the Nexium as some next steps unless someone can suggest something better.  Drinking always helps (as you just forget about it), but I'm not ready to live my life like that at all.

There's just seems to be SO many factors that affect it, but there has to be ONE central thing that does it.  Is it I just forget to breath (or don't do it well enough)?  Is it the acid reflux haunting me again?  Or just plain anxiety?
I am suffering from the same thing....it just started a few days ago but I cannot breathe...it feels almost like I am suffocating...or cant breathe thru my nose or something..Only every once in a while I can get that refreshing deep breath and I try to yawn ALL the time to get it,....it is very frustrating and worrying...I have been wondering if I am having a blood clot in lungs or maybe even a sign of heart condition or having a heart attack.I am a 23 year old female..just had a baby 10 weeks ago...I had a bunch of problems during pregnancy with heart palps and chest pain and had many EKGs and echo and been to ENT and neurologist..had MRI and CT of head from constantly feeling lightheaded etc..had lung function tests done in ER..so much blood work I am surprised I have any left...tested for rhuemtoid diseases...lupus etc..thyroid is fine...everthing negative....but this yawning breathing thing is new and just starting...so now I am like great I had all these tests and now this is just starting? I have been diagonsed with Postural Orthostatic Tachyardia Syndrome...POTS....so if you are having other symptoms such as everyday dizziness, muscle pain, SOB, heart palps, chest pain, headaches, sweating, anxiety attacks esp. upon standing too long and ANY other symptoms in the world you might have this too...it is rare and most docs dont even know what it is...it is a malfunction in the autonomic nervous system..but I just want you all to know that I too constantly feel the need to breathe deep to feel like I am getting enough air and then I cant which stresses me out even more...its a cycle...its worse when I am sitting doing nothing, after smoking, or trying to go to sleep. It happens out of no where tho. I do have excess mucous in my throat right now and always feeling the need to clear throat or like there is a lump in there and it is really hot and humid here...maybe it is related? Please if anyone has any advice please let me know...
I have this same problem - feel like I can't get a good satisfying breath.  Somethimes I yawn, but mainly I just take deep breaths/sighs all day.  I get filled up and get about 1 second relief, then the feeling starts all over again.  I know it's not my lungs - my lung function test over 100%.  Also, I walk about 3 miles everyday and never feel like i'm not getting enough air.  I just always have the 'sensation' that I need to take a deep breath.  I am 40, normal weight, and fit.

The people who have mentioned hormones...I notice my breathing is at it's worst right before my period.  Maybe hormones is a factor for some people (and maybe you gentlemen have hormone issues as well...Just because you don't menstrate doesn't mean you can't have hormone fluctuations.)
Hey all. I have had this before, in my 20's (now 39), and have been without it for about 10 years and it has come back. For me it is absolutely related to anxiety disorder. I was having severe shaking and anxiety a year ago and went to see a shrink and psychologist (both are necessary). I was put on paxil and that did the trick for me as far as my anxiety. I have just weaned off of it completely (with doctor's help) and had some extremely stressful things in my life occur recently which sent me back into full swing of anxiety. And lo and behold, the yawning all the time came back after being gone for years.
I have been able to keep it at bay when using some of the tools for anxiety I learned from my psychologist, especially deep breathing exercises. These exercises of deep breathing that were mentioned above by the massage therapist, are the most immediate way to force your body into a physical state of peacefulness that will calm your mind. BREATHING FROM DEEP IN YOUR STOMACH, SLOWLY. This is what has really helped me. I believe that in many cases this need to constantly yawn is attributed to anxiety and stress where people get hung up breathing in the top of their chest. and the cycle of worry seems unbreakable. Please take time to learn deep breathing techniques for anxiety and see if you have any improvement. Even if it doesn't solve the yawning, taking moments out of your day to do deep breathing will lower your anxiety and stress and help you to cope with it.
Hi People
I suffered from this problem few years back for a week and recently for few days. In my case it is directly related to stress and over exercise in which i take in lot of oxygen and it seems that my llungs get depleted of oxygen.
I have done following and has worked well, the problem is gone

i) I have visited a doctor who has checked everything in dteail. There is nothing wrong. This has made me mentally satisfied.
ii) I have taken few days off from my exercise routine which is used to do daily.
iii) I have stopped thinking about the problem.
iv) I have strated breathing through nose rather than through mouth
v) I have started spending time with friends and family instead of sitting infront of TV and tjhinking about the problem.
Believe me the problem has gone in less than 2 days.

Best of luck to all

Wajid
I hope not to offend anyone with this post.  I want you all to keeo an open mind about this.  I have had a host of anxiety related symptoms, starting when a friend of mine died in a rather brutal manner.  Anxiety can occur at any age.  I am a school teacher, and I have witnessed children suffer from panic attacks.  It is not just from a traumatic experience.  Some people are just "tightly wound" individuals.  Anxiety can occur when you're relaxing peacefully on a beach, seemingly having not a care in the world.  It is all a matter of how you perceive things.  It alal boils down to the flight/fight resronse.  The inability of being able to "yawn, take in a deep breath, etc." is related to anxiety.  First, go to a doctor.  If you receive a clean bill of health, I would suggest a second opinion if it calms your mind, but then be satisfied with it.  You will spend your life looking for medical explanaitons and will most likely never find one.  It is anxiety.  I have been a doctor after doctor, shrink after shrink.  If you do not believe me, try a test.  Take a xanax and see if your symptoms lessen.  They most likely will.  Xanax relaxes a person, mentally and physically.  The mind is a very powerful thing.  You believe what you want to believe.  And the symptoms can feel very, very real.  But what allows the symptoms to liv on within is the credence you are paying to them.  I am reading your posts, sympathizing with you, as I experience similar "attacks."  I am here to try and share with you some things I have learned.  First, there is an amazing book I have read that explains how to end anxiety.  It is quite pricey, but if you contact me, I can email you a copy.  Second, some things a therapist told me....

You are hyper-internalizing.  What this means is you are focusing too much on what's going on internally; inside of you.  There is help through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which will allow you focus on what's going on int he world around you, or externally.  Ever hear the expression, "the greatest fear is fear itself?"  That's  most likely what you are doing to yourselves.  You are getting so worked up over these symptoms, that you are theoretically making them worse.  The book explains that if you can come to grips with these symptoms being panic attacks, then you can overcome them.  I want to share with you a sample from the book.

1) Recognize: Understand that the symptoms you are having are merely that; symptoms.  They can not hurt you.  They are thought like any other.
2) Observe: Observe the symptoms you are having.  Do not try and stop them.  Rather, run with them.  Accept that you are in control.
3) Demand: Demand more of the symptoms.  It sounds nuts, but it works.  When you ask for more, you are looking fear straight in the face and saying, "this is all you have?  Ha!"
4) Trust: Trust that your body wants to protect you.  Anxiety is your body's reaciton fo a perceived threat.

There is so much more.  I am not making this up.  I have been researching this for years, and also find that when I am distracted, pop a xanax, or talk to my therapist, I feel much better.  A common fear is that our bodies are going to betray us, and that they are going to hinder our breathing.  You need to realize that the more you nit-pick these feelings, the worse they will become.  Now, I am expecting about a million "you're wrong!  There's something physically wrong!" responses to this.  But not every doctor you visit is wrong.  You don't want to believe that there is something in your mind that is causing these symptoms.  But perhaps if you began to open your eyes to a new prespective...that this MAY just be anxiety (after a full physical exam from a doctor, of course)...you may just start to feel better.  I can only go on what works for me.  "But I've had this since I was a kid!"  Like I said, I see kids suffer from anxiety.  It does not only attack adults.  I hope this helps.  Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.  Oh, and on a side note...a therapist told me this.

Me: I'm scared that I won't be able to breathe.
Therapist: (points to back of neck, where head meets the spine) See this?  This right here controls your breathing.  So even if the rest of your brain were gone, you'd still be breathing.  
Me: But it feels like my breathing is on manual.
Therapist: Breathing is an inborn response.  If we had to remind ourselve sto breathe, we would have been dead years ago.  We're just not smart enough to remember.  That's why you can't hold your breath and kill yourself; eventually your body forces you to breathe.

All I can say is this; I have been going to doctors across that state for 7 years now.  I always get the same answer; anxiety.  You don't have to believe me, but you should believe your doctor.  And when you wonder why an anxiety attack "lasts 4 days, so it must be something physical," you should think again.  Anxiety will last your whole like if you let it.  You are feeding into the fear of "something must REALLY be wrong with me."  If numerous doctors say you're okay, you most likely are.  Anxiety is a very real disorder, and instead of seeking medical problems that may not exist physically, you should be treating a mental one.  If you have any questions or want the book, let me know.  

***@****

Best wishes.

Sorry for typos.
I would really like this book. I have been suffering from this problem for nearly a decade. I agree that it's anxiety. There is no simple pill or treatment for it. :(

***@****
test

I used to have the same symptoms, could not take a deep breath, yawning all the time, coughing.
First time my doctor thought it was asthma, then I was prescribed anti-hestamine for the coughing, eventually after having some acid reflux problem I was given omeprazole and that helped partly.
The fact is that I might have a Hiatus hernia (need to test) but after doing some extensive research, these symptoms are due and worsen by over breathing (hyper-ventilating) or bad breathing pattern.
Please I want to stop you here, you might think "but I am sure that I don't over breath, since I have these symptoms at any time." please continue reading.

This was a discovery made by Doctor Buteyko (also known as the buteyko method) over 50 years ago.
The theoretical foundation for this idea - hyperventilation causes a depletion of carbon dioxide; low levels of carbon dioxide in the organism cause blood vessels to spasm and also cause oxygen starvation of the tissues.
This results in a whole range of "defence mechanisms" that have been previously misunderstood and labelled as diseases.
It is really easy over time to adapt from a normal 3-6 Litres of air per minute to a 9-15 litres, over time the brain accept it as the defaut level. The problem is that it is like running an engine over 3 cylender with really little oil, the more you breath the less satisfied you will be and the more your brain will adjust to this level.

Think about it, you can live without eating for 30 days or drinking for 3 days but you cannot live for more than 3 minutes without air. Breathing is the key, and specifically relearn to breath less!!!
Don't believe me ? Just try this experiment to see if you over breath and that level of Co2 is incorrectly adjusted.
Just relax for a minute and after a breath in (2 second) and breath out (3second), pinch your nose and hold your breath, count the number of second without a real need to breath again, if it is less than 25 second than you are over breathing, 40 or more is recommended.

Please give it a try to the Buteyko excercice (once you have been checked by your doctor and that nothing seems to be wrong), just google it "buteyko", this method has helped asthma sufferer in the east for 2 decades, and is barely known in the west. This over breathing is not only can not only trigger asthma for also other chronic conditions like sleep apnea/fatigue/asthma/air hunger/panic attack etc...

I have tried the last week and my condition has improved a lot, over few weeks you should definitivly see an improvement.

http://members.westnet.com.au/pkolb/buteyko.htm#intro
http://members.westnet.com.au/pkolb/but_strt.htm

wow, it's insane how many people suffer these symptoms and yet doctors cannot find a cure for it.  I too have seen my doctor and had breathing test, ekg's, bloodwork, etc. done.  My doctor told me i had asthma and prescribed me Advair.  I took it for a few weeks and after it didn't relieve my symptoms, gave up on it (because i really didn't think it was asthma because i had NO other asthmatic symptoms).
I definitely notice it gets worse when i am thinking about it.  But one time that i know it gets the worst when i am not thinking about it is after i eat.  I'm sure it has to do with my stomach being full and my lungs not having as much room..
I don't have any suggestions, just one more real life person who suffers the same symptoms and wishes someone could help her.  I may try Nexium.
God bless - prayers and luck to you all.
Hi,im a 22 year old male and i've been dealing with this constant shortness of breath for over 6-7 years now..I see so . It just started outta the blue I went to take a deep breath and i couldnt get that last bit of hair to satisfy the breath and this whole vicious cycle started. After that for about 2 years i was constantly taking deep breaths and not able to get a satisfied breath. I WAS CONSTANTLY YAWNING>SIGNING AND TAKIN UNSATISFIED DEEP BREATH ALL DAY LONG. I had reached the point when i was staying home in my bed just hoping i would die so it would stop.  After 2 years or so it seemed to just go away. It then came back right after i smoked a cigarette . Ever since then its been an ongoing struggle. I feel as if i have no control of my life, and im constantly thinking of my breathing. I feel hopeless and feel as if no one understands what im going through or that i have this disease that doctors cant detect. My doctor has put me on xanax for anxiety and it seemed to cut the edge off a lil but its still there. Its not as bad as when i first got it but it still disrupts my life and im at a stand still. I .I've gone to cardiologist, ent's, gi's, pulmonary doctors. I've gone through xrays, PFT, EKG, stress tests, endoscopy . Only thing i have is GERD/LPR with sinsation of lump in throat and a very small irregular heart beat. I also am constantly clearing my throat.I heard that can be because of the Gerd/LPR. I just took a new PFT test and my breathing is normal. i did have a deviated septum but got that fixed..My lung specialist says its just all in my head and that i have this because ive become aware of my breathing pattern. i've used advair, singular and breathing pumps for asthma with no results. when im sitting or laying down its seems to be fine but when i stand up or move it kicks in more. I'm losing hope on what's going on with me. ive heard it can either be chronic hyperventilation syndrom or vocal cord dysfuction? please help
Yeah I have had the same thing except now i cant even yawn to get a good breath! The doc gave me an inhaler and it   didnt work    so she gave me a nebulizer machine, (i haven't even used it yet.) I am only 10 and the doctor pulled my grandma out of the room and was talking to her and saying that I might have anxiety, and I don't even feel like it. I have been having  weird dreams and having to go to the bathroom frequently. Now I am going have to go to a  counselor if the nebulizer won't help! My grandma  wouldn't tell me what the doctor said so my grandpa did. So she doesn't think I know yet. HELP
i have suffered from this since i was in the 7th. grade and i am so
tried of it. at one point i had what i call an attack because i kept
yawning and yawning that i felt my chest was going to explode. my
doctor yelled at me after doing some test and told me i was having an attack. he told me to put my head between my legs and press my chest
hard against my legs until i felt that i did not need to yawn anymore. it was a way of getting my nerves under control. it worked for 2 years and
now when i feel it coming i do the same exsecise. make sure you go to see your doctor anyway.
After my last post, i thought a lot about what some of the other people said about it being mental and also about making sure you breath with your belly instead of your chest.  
During the couple of hours or so that i was online researching this, I really could not get a good breath at all.  Afterwards, as i thought about what people said, i decided i would try to not think about it and to try to concentrate on breathing with my belly.  I noticed that the problem significantly subsided.  
I'm not saying it is all mental, but the mental aspect of it had a huge effect on my symptoms.  When i wasn't thinking about it, I barely noticed it.  When it did start bothering me, I would focus on taking a deep breath making sure my stomach was moving in and out way more than my chest was.  This actually REALLY worked for me.  I think that i hardly ever noticed that i was trying to breath my enlarging my chest instead of my stomach because as a weight-consciuos woman, I have trained myself to suck my stomach in - without ever consciously doing it!  Being able to make myself take a deep breath when i wanted it by doing this greatly reduced my anxiety about not being able to breath, thus further reducing the problem.
I know FOR ME this problem has been largely mental and I think brought on by anxiety that maybe i'm unaware of then exasperated by anxiety over not being able to breath and thinking something is wrong with me... and thus the vicious cycle continues.

I just wanted to share this because it is helping me deal with the symptoms.  Thank you so much to those of you who posted about making sure to take deep breaths by enlarging your stomach rather than your chest.  I probably never would've thought of that on my own.
WOW!  I too thought I was the only one.  All this information about CO2 and blood PH got me thinking; probably over-thinking but here is a thought.  I drink a lot of seltzer water which is carbonated with CO2.  I just read that "For every can of carbonated soda ingested, the amount of oxygen in the blood is decreased by 25% for up to three hours.  If you are drinking several sodas per day, you are depriving yourself for a significant amount of oxygen."  Not sure if it's true but wondering if it's a contributing factor.  I also do low-carb which has been show to affect blood PH levels.  Again, I'm wondering if this could be contributing to the problem.

How many of us drink lots of carbonated beverages?  How many are low-carbers?
I have been crying since I started reading this thread.  I have been suffering from these symptoms on and off for 25 years.  My first episodes started shortly after I was released from the hospital after suffering an allergic reaction to an IVP which left me in anaphalic shock and in intensive care for a week.  I was 25 y/o and when the symptoms first appeared, I had every test in the book and was diagnosed with anxiety.  I went to different doctors who prescribed different anti-anxiety drugs, none of which helped.  I finally settled into a mixed cocktail of imipramine and buspar.  I remained on these drugs which kept me in a basic stupor until I got pregnant with my son.  My OB told me to stop taking them and the symptoms did not come back.  I decided that the breathing problem was a result of anxiety brought on by post traumatic stress (from the anaphalic shock).  Eleven years later I had another baby and split up with my husband when that baby was 9 months old.  All of the breathing symptoms came back and I found myself gasping for air every minute of every day again.  My doctor put me on paxil.  After a year on paxil the breathing problem seemed to go away.  I weaned myself off of the paxil.  My second child is now 7.  Four months ago I lost my job and I have been basically doing nothing but sitting on the couch watching TV (money was not stressing me out - my financial circumstances are good, thank goodness).  Some weeks ago someone hooked me up with an interview for a job and it looks like I may be going back to work.  All of a sudden the breathing torture came back full force.  I am so depressed from it and I don't want to go back on any drugs.  I don't really think that the drugs did anything at all.  I think that when I see that I can handle a life changing event without being overwhelmed, eventually I am able to breathe normally again.  I do not believe that this phenomena is physical in origin.  For all of you that have some other physical condition ex. acid reflux, overactive thyroid,etc. - I think that these conditions themselves cause great anxiety for some people, which in turn manifests in breathing disorders.  I do not believe that these conditions cause breathing difficulties.  I did not have any of these conditions when all of this started all those years ago.  Right now, I am being slammed full force with all of these breathing anxiety symptoms and just seeing how many other people have this has given me slight relief.  When I first had these symptoms 25 years ago, none of the doctors that I had seen had ever heard of anything like this.  I thought I had some rare condition that was caused by the anaphalic shock.

For what it's worth, I also think that somehow we have become conscious of a bodily function that is automated and the more we analyze it, the more we think it is not working properly.  I sometimes think about swallowing too much, and I find myself unable to swallow after swallowing 10 times in a row.  I start to panic and am finally able to swallow and then I forget about it.  I can't seem to do this with the breathing.  I am going to try to avoid drugs this time and pray that I can get through this without them.  Sometimes I feel that I will actually lose my mind.
i had this for 5 in a half months went to 3 doctors one said muscle spasms cause i had back pain with it other two said anxeity well i went to a chiropractor and said that i had pinched nerves he took x-rays and found my spine was disaligned and my neck was 3 degrees off i saw it for myself he said those symtoms can come from no where he told me did the doctors look at you like you where crazy which they do well i feel great i went to 25 sessions of threapy and it feels like its bearly there i can actually feel it going away sounds weird but i hope this will help some of you if you have back pain with this go see a chiropractor you will be surprised how much better you feel during this threapy you might think oh its not working just keep going it will but it just dont happen overnite write back if this helps anyone wish everyone the best GOD BLESS
I had this very same problem.  For no apparent reason I had these bouts of not being able to take a deep breath.  My troubles with breathing went from occasional, to... constant.  My answer for why this was happening came when I saw a chiropractor.  I knew that back muscles are an issue when experiencing some types of breathing problems, so, long story short... I went to a chiropractor for a consult and was told that certain spots, if misaligned, may result in trouble breathing.  There is actually an area, if misaligned, that will cause breathing problems during exercise that may present symptoms similar to exercise induced asthma.   I had nothing to lose, so I started with treatment.  An X-ray, and weekly (x3 to start with) "adjustments".  Within 2 adjustments I had noticed I could breath "normally".  No kidding.  

I had visited forums like this one a TON of times, trying to figure out WHY I couldn't take a deep breath.  It was so unnerving to me.  It had me antsy and frustrated... I just started my treatments/(adjustments) a couple of weeks ago and I'm so relieved that I'm touring the boards I sought help on to spread the word about how I found an answer to my problem.  Maybe it can help others.  I had visited my physician about this problem a couple of times, but never once was this angle approached.  

Anyway, I hope this helps someone.  

About me - I'm a mid 30's female.  Pretty healthy.  Normal height and weight for my age.  Active... no health problems, really...
I have had many problems similar to these listed above.  I am a 26 year old female, diagnosed with asthma as a child and no subsequent breathing problems until 6 months ago.  Back around October I began having tightness in my chest along with the feeling of needing to take a very deep breath.  Then, when attempting to take a deep breath I did not (or only with very forced muscular effort) get a true satisfying deep breath.  Same thing with yawning, I do not feel like I am able to get a full satisfying yawn.  I have most difficulty with breathing during eating, I believe because it is difficult for me to hold my breath while chewing/swallowing and I"ve always had sinus congestion so breathing through my nose is difficult.  I also have trouble when walking and now whenever I attempt to exercise.

Overall, my symptoms have not lessened despite treatment over the past 6 months.

I have had tons of tests done...MRI of the brain, Chest CT with and without iv contrast, multiple chest xrays, pulmonary function tests, oxygen saturation, etc.  Everything has been 100% ok, including when my doctor listens to my lungs in the office.  Everything else is fine too, ie blood pressure, thyroid, etc.  Also, I am very physically fit, prior to this happening in October, I was able to go to the gym 3+ times per week, go running, do stairmaster, play tennis, etc with absolutely no aggravation or breathing difficulty.  My pulmonologist has been treating me for asthma since this October, I have been on and off prednozine several times, and daily I take singulair, advair 500/50, and qvar.  I also use an albuteral inhaler 2 or 3 times per day as I feel I need it, although I find it rarely provides me relief (sometimes if I take 3 puffs).  I do not feel that any of these other medications seem to alleviate my symptoms.  Because of the unbelievably sudden onset of my symptoms, the fact that I was unbelievably fit and able to handle strenuous activity before this, and since I do not seem to respond to any of my asthma medications, I have extreme difficulty believing that this is asthma.  Also I have been told maybe it is GERD...I took nexium for 5 weeks and am now trying prilosec, and again none of these have lessened my symptoms.  

I have recently read about vocal cord dysfunction but cannot find that much information about it.  Has anyone been diagnosed with this or know more about the symptoms?  OR perhaps it could be something a chiropracter could help with?  I suppose it is possible I may have damaged something while exercising, however, I do not have any pain anywhere.
I am so glad I found this site!  9 months ago I was having major issues with not being able to yawn and having all these issues you are all talking about.  I mean, I went from an hour on the treadmill to could not even last 5 minutes.  I went to the doctor and found out I was pregnant.  I had an echo of my heart, chest x-rays, blood work and all the things the rest of you have had done.  They found nothing wrong and said maybe it was hyperventilation syndrome.  I did not believe that.  Anyway, it ended up going away on its own.  Well, March 5th our baby boy was born and all those symptoms are back again.  I am wondering if it is hormonal for some of us.  I am going to try acupuncture.  I don't know what else to do except go public with this issue and find a doctor that knows what to do or who is willing to figure it out!  
I am expierencing most of all the same symptoms and also have had the litany of testing done, ekg, asthma, stress, sleep study, chest xray, allergies, CT scan.  This has been about 10 months for me now.  

I am 28 years old, male, in good shape (ran 3 miles tonight) and have only a deviated septum to speak of.  It is great to see I am not the only one, but wish I could help others.

About every 3-5 minutes I need a quick deep breath and then exhale harshly.  My chest in the middle is constantly "tight" to the point I don't want my wife to lay her arm on my chest if we are laying together.  The most frustrating part about this is that I am constantly tired, want to nap and feel as though I am running at about 80%.  This goes against everything in my nature and previous M.O.  

My symptoms seem to be cyclical in nature, and worse as well when I eat sometimes and I too have excessive belching occasionally.  I too hold my stomach in but am trying not too.  And some days are worse than others but mostly I am tired consistently and have the chest tightness/breating issue.  I have not looked into any anxiety disorders other than the common suggestions on this board.  

I will let post again if I find something of value, but wanted to share as reading so many of your issues has at least made me realize I am not the only one.  Misery loves company I suppose.  But even as I sit here feeling better, I have done my quick harsh inhale/exhale about 9 times in about 15 minutes.

Best of luck, please continue sending any viable/related diagnosis and suggestions.

Sincerely,
Brian in Indy

I'm very glad I found this discussion! I've had these symptoms off and on now for some 10 years or so. I'm a mid-50s female currently in decent physical shape. I'm doing Bikram yoga 2-4 times a week, gardening, bike riding, etc. For me, this first started when allergies kicked back up in my early 40s. I have been taking Claritin-D 24 for ages, but recently stopped because my husband's doctor told him taking the "D" meds every day was not a good idea. After about 2 weeks or not taking it anymore, the symptoms started up again.
Hello everyone!

I am a 26 year old female, and have had this problem for 10 years now. It started with the need to yawn and catch a deep breath. Within weeks, a cough developed with it. Most recently I have noticed a problem swallowing. They all seem to go hand in hand. All symptoms are worse at night, while eating and while exercising. I've had many tests done, and have been diagnosed with asthma, even though I don't believe I have it. No asthma medication has worked, even some like Albuterol have made it worse. I don't believe it's anxiety related, but when it happens, anxiety sure does make it worse! I usually sigh and yawn successfully all day long, but during my peak times, or the occasional random episode, that's when I can't control it. Can't catch my breath and can't get a good yawn. This is not a mental problem. It is physically caused, but made worse mentally.

I just wanted to let everyone here know that I am grateful that I found this site, and know that I am not the only one. There's no question about whether it's "all in my head", which is what I've heard from countless doctors.
I think I may have an answer.  I too have had the same symptoms as most of you.  I'm a healthy 25 year old male who two weeks back was playing basketball for 2.5 hours straight regularly with no breathing prolems at all.  About 2 weeks ago, out of nowhere sitting at my desk, I just began not being able to get a full breath and had to yawn many times to do so.  This has lasted for the past three weks or so where i could not get a full breath.  I went for all the tests (heart, chest x-ray, pulmonologist,etc).  Everything was okay.  I was stumped went down every road and could not figure it out. I originally dismissed the possibility of acid refulx/GERD because I had no signs of it any nothing was coming up on me.  However, I started noticing, like many of you while I was eating and after it seemed to be worse, and some belching a few times a day.  I started taking the Prilosec two days ago and it has been substantially helping.  Also, stress and anxiety along with certain foods can cause this.  I am going to continue to take the Prilosec but I am pretty certain a combination of stress (continuous researching and worying about it) along with the GERD is the problem.  Also I went back to all of the previous posts since 2007 not only on this forum, but others where people expressed the same exact symptoms and have found in 95% of the cases people indirectly mentioned a symptom of GERD as a cause (i.e. they didnt know why after caffeine,alcohol, eating foods made it worse, etc.) however never thought that was the problem.  Like I mentioned I never even thought it could be that but I am pretty sure thats what it is.  I will continue to take the Prilosec and watch what and how much I eat and try to relax and see how I feel.  I just wanted to share this as it has definitely helped me so far for the past couple of days.  I think this may be the problem as well for many of you and when i went back to read posts over that I had previously read it all started making sense to me.  Please try this and post any of your results here if it did in fact help.  Good luck to all

Also, more belching than usual can be a sign and I read somewhere that people with asthma are more succeptible to GERD.  I also, have asthma and have taken all of the asthma medicines, inhalers,etc which had not helped.  I am pretty convinced that it is the acid reflux.
I might have a solution of some. I have had this problem off an on, and to everyone, I am incredibly thankful knowing I am not alone, though I wish noone else would have to go through this...iIt is so utterly annoying not being abe to yawn, and then breathe...Good news is what has helped me is taking a Mucinex D right when I start feeling the heaviness and diffuculty breathing,  and then when I need to yawn and cannot, I keep trying and lightly tap my vein on the right side of my neck, Lightly being the operative word!! I pray this can hel[p someone out there! And I pray that we will all be healed from this ailment. Happy future to all :-)
Has anybody researched the possibility of a sulfite sensitivity? I'm 99% positive my yawning problem is caused by food... I just don't know WHAT I'm eating that's causing the problem. My top hypothesis was acid reflux, but this morning I ate 4 dried apricots, not nearly enough food to cause an acid reflux reaction I would think, but sure enough the yawning started up a few minutes later. I did a little research online and found that sulfur dioxide (the preservative in dried fruits and lots of other packaged foods) can cause shortness of breath and swelling in the throat and is more common in people with asthma than non-asthmatics. Has anyone looked into this possibility?

I've been taking Prilosec for a week now and I haven't noticed even the slightest improvement, but I'll keep trying that, since if acid reflux is the problem it could take a few weeks to work. Now I'm also going to try to cut out sulfites and see if that helps at all. I'll post again in a week or so to let everyone know how my trial goes.
I can't believe I found this site! Like all of you, I have been to the ER, have had many tests, and still can't nail down why I need to yawn & strain to catch a "good" breath! I'm at my wit's end. Asthma meds make the situation worse. I am now on Prednisone, which is making my life miserable, and it helps me breathe just a little better. Literally, I am up & down all night long, doing relaxation breathing, trying to catch a good one before falling exhausted to sleep. I don't sleep much, either. However, and maybe this is true of some of you, I seem to wake up breathing normally befofre the cycle starts all over again.

I, too, have developed a dry cough and irritation around my throat/bronchial area.

Here's what I think happened to me: A couple of weeks ago, I was spraying my son's shower with bleach. My airways became very irritated. Shortly thereafter, this developed. I think that now it is psychological. I am probably hyperventilating, which is a cyclical thing. At first, I was responding to the irritant, but now have become aware of my breathing and am very anxious. My blood oxygen is 98-99%, so I'm not really starving for air.

If you Google "Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome", there is a lot of stuff written about this.

I am going to the Dr. today; I hope he can give me some tranquilizers so I can get a good sleep! This is a very scary thing.

Good luck, everybody.
wow i am so happy to see that i am not the only one. I use to smoke for about 6 years so i thought it had something to do with that but i also went to the er and they told my it was just panic attacks witch i do have but i knw what they are and thats not it. they even gave me some adivan and that chilled me the hell out but i was calm as hell from it prolly the calmest i ever have ben but i still couldnt breath in deep enough or yawn enough times.
Hello everyone,

Its overwhelming to read all these posts that describe this same ailment that i have been suffering fwith on and off or for years. I too have the sensation of not being able to get a full and satisfying breath, feels like im breathing through a straw whilean elephant is sat on my chest. It really is the scariest sensation there is and means i am aware of evety single brea i take from the moment i wake up til the second i manag to fall asleep which isnt healthy at all.

Symptoms that accompany my sensation of laboured breathing are:
1.) an occasional lump sensation in my throat, like a golf ball is stuck just below my adams apple
2.) a dry cough
3.) constant yawning even when i have had adequate sleep
4.) lots of mucus especially at the back of my nose that is really sticky and thick in the mornings but more watery in the day
5.) tender chest to touch just below my throat

All these combined things make me deeply depressed and constantly anxious. I am close to tears throughout the whole day and very often cannot control bouts of hysterical crying due to the anxiety bing caused by this unpleasant condition.
I ended up in A n E one night as the feeling became so bad and i beganhaving hour long panic attacks but all they did was tell me i wasin fine health and prescribed me Valium which made me slightly calmer but didnt NOTHING for the other symptons

Its interesting to see how many other people suffer from this and hw noone has discovered a solid cure for it or even a common condition that causes it. For me i think the initial breathlessness is caused by anxiety but then the awarness and overbreaing causes a inflammation in my airways whih further enhances the sensation of feeling every breath.This then may trigger asthma or GERD or other ailments that can be stress related. It IS a vicious cycle and it 100% gets worse when i dwell on it or begin to think that i will die or have it forever.

Im going to the Asthma clinic tommorow for my yearly check up so will talk to them about my condtion. will post my progress

we can beat this..........a combination of mind over matter and accurate medication mis the way forward.
I wish everyone on this forum all the best  - believe me i know how awful this feeling is and i sympathise with you all and wish i had the answer that could relieve you al from this nightmare condition.
lets all keep posting our findings -anyone with sucsess stories please post to give others some hope :)

Emily xxxxx
I am 30 and have alot of these symptoms. I am doing little mini yawns in my mouth even as i type this. (it is first thing in the morning)

I don't know about you but I do not sleep well. It has been going on for about 8 years. The last 2 years my memory has also taken a plunge for the worse. Sometimes I can't remember what high school i went too, what i did 5 mins ago, that i just told somebody something a few mins ago and tell it again...etc..

I have been on prevacid for about 8 years also.
I am a 39 year old female. I have the same symptoms everyone has listed.  This started when I was about 35, I had been running and when I stopped I felt as if I couldn't catch my breath.  That began the whole cycle.  The whole "yawning/feeling like I couldn't get a deep enough breath" lasted about 3 months.  Had all the tests done and all came back normal.  It seems to hit me about once every year and half or so.  Usually lasts around three months.  The last time started after playing some vigorous tennis.  I am in great physical shape, former college basketball player, don't smoke (although I did smoke for about 10 years when I was younger), no signs of reflux, am on a low dose of thyroid medication.  I DO NOT think this is caused by stress although I do think stress makes it worse and the stress of worrying about getting enough air makes it worse.  Some of the most stressful times of my life (divorce, parents illness) I have NOT had the problem.  I personally think in my case, because it starts with intense exercise that gets me out of breath, it has something to do with my oxygen sensor being thrown off kilter in some way.  Not a very scientific way to put it but that's what I think anyway.  Good to know I'm not the only one suffering with this.  At times I have thought it must be all in my head but I know that it's not.
I think one thing that is going to prove to be important is to get tested WHILE YOU'RE SYMPTOMATIC. This is the type of problem that, if you're not having an attack, you're perfectly fine. I'm going to my ENT in a couple hours and at the moment I'm having symptoms, so this is the first time I actually don't want them to go away!

The only problem is, I still haven't figured out what is causing my attacks. I still think it might be food related, but I've been on Prilosec for 3 weeks now and there hasn't been any improvement, so it doesn't look like it's GERD. Maybe an allergy, but I have an epinephrine inhaler and that doesn't help either.

I'll post again later today to let you know if my ENT gives me a new diagnosis.
Well my ENT did a laryngoscope while I was symptomatic and he still didn't see anything abnormal going on in my throat. (I'd still recommend getting tested while symptomatic though in case there is something physical going on in there). He's upping my dose of Prilosec, sending me for a barium swallow and then doing allergy testing (even though I don't think it's allergies). Hopefully something will work.
I recently started to feel the very same symptoms described above. I am otherwise a healthy individual with a training and exercise routine. About a week ago I began to experience a progressive shortness of breath. The first 2 days were awful, however it has been decreasing after that. I noticed that when I ate certain foods, I would suddenly feel better, which led me to do some research into the mineral or vitamin deficiencies. A very interesting article suggested that magnesium is responsible for shortness of breath along with other symptoms like trouble sleeping, anxiety, nervous tics etc. It is important that you read about magnesium deficiency as diagnosis could be lying in this. For example you may go to the doctor complaining about shortness of breath and the doctor may tell you that you suffer from anxiety and prescribe anxiety medication. However the underlying cause may purely be magnesium deficiency.
It would be interesting if you guys try this, not in the form of vitamin supplements but rather by consuming magnesium rich foods. Also note that consumption of too much calcium can inhibit magnesium absorption. Anyhow I would like to see some progress in this so begin consuming magnesium and follow up with results so we can track this

i have this problem.  Some days its worse than others.  Mine is a symptom of b12 deficiency.
I have also been having the same problem for the past three days. It's not the first time that it has happened and I think only those of us who have experience this can really understand what it feels like. It's not asthma. It's really a great need to take a deep breath, but can't do it without yawning. And the yawning can take some time to accomplish and you kind start to pacnic a bit when the yawning it's not coming.
When I am having problem yawning, I have to stand up and maybe even stick my head out the window to get fresh air and finally I am able to yawn.

I don't know why this happens but I am here to tell you what I did last night that helped. I used a nasal spray. The kind you use to relieve a stuffy nose. And it helped. Today I have been having the same feeling of wanting to take a deep breath. The only difference is that I was able to do it without having to yawn. What a great relief.

I don't normally like to use nasal sprays. I only spray last night and I have been good for the past 20 hours.

I wonder if this problem is caused by problem in our nasal passage????
Thank God I am not the only one who suffers from this, I thought I was actually going crazy. about 2 weeks ago, this started, like I wasn't able to fill my lungs with a deep satisfied breath, then I would try to yawn just to get a good breath.  The more this happens during the day, the more anxious I become. Yesterday, I tried not to think of it too much, and it did seem better. This morning I got up and it was the first thing I thought of when I got out of bed. I agree when I am really occupied or distracted I don't notice it as much, but when I have a lot of time I my hands, I am monitoring my breathing all the time. I get up every day and wonder is this gonna be the day this problem goes away. I am not taking any medication at all.
HAD THIS PROBLEM SINCE IM 15 AM56 NOW AND STILL HAVE IT.... WENT AWAY 4AWHILE NOW ITS BEEN BACK SINCE 1998..... GOING OUT OF MY MIND NO ONE UNDERSTANDS......THE FEELING IS HORRIBLE.....ITS ALWAYS ON MY MIND.......WHEN I WAS 15 JUST HAD TO YAWN LIKE NORMAL THAN COULDNT STOP..STARTED A VICIOUS CYCLE.......I GIVE UP NEED RELIEF....:(
Hello guys - I posted on here over a year ago (this thread has been going for years!) ;)

Nearly everyone here is describing what is being termed as airhunger (you can just search for "airhunger" on google and you will find loads of info.

I've been really interested to read what speech_therapistchrista said, as I just posted this today, and it's along the exact same lines.

http://airhunger.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1040&sid=998919ae5f541ad4aa88412a68bf591e

Fascinating stuff! As many others have said, I do this, but didn't know anyone else did.

What I do when it happens is this: when I start to yawn, and get to the point where no more air is coming in, I pause there with the half-a-breath still in, instead of immediately breathing out and starting over. After four or five seconds in that state, I often find that I can breathe in "again", completing the yawn. A huge relief.

As we say in the software industry, this is a workaround, not a fix; but it works for me! Good luck to everybody.
I have had this constant since February. Went to the ER 2/8 had nothing wrong with me, just told to see a cardiologist cause my BP was 190/165 !! I weighed 376 lbs and loaded with about 50 lbs of water (edema)....I went to the heart doctor, had the stress test, ecco, and other tests and my heart was actually fine, just a tad enlarged due to the BP, then went for lung function tests, all were fine there also.
Went to my family doctor and he suggested a sleep study because I have OSA and stop breathing many times during the night....mind you I was out of work for three weeks , was sure I ahd some simple problem and a "pill" would take care of it and I would be fine.
I was also told I might have anxiety and should get my xanax persciption filled by the ER doctor. SO.....I beleived that was what it was, took the xanax and busparone and coped, I wished I was dead, it was sever, all the while I just knoew something was wrong....
I was a happy, well adjusted little fat guy, anxiety ? no way.....aware of my breathing ? possible, but something just didnt click.

I went online and read about gerd/Hiatal hernia and realized that I had all of these symptoms, and this started the week of the superbowl after I ate like a pig and drank copious amounts of coke and pepsi, sleeping right after I ate, manybe oly 4 hours then going to work, coming home and doing it again......

Had an endoscopy done, found out I had gastritis, swollen esophogus and a hiatal hernia, Had sleep study done, sever, SEVER OSA which causes "air hunger" if left untreated.......so.......
Since then, It is now 6/28. I have lost 91 lbs, am not on any meds for BP as it is 120/78 constantly, diuretic removed all the water, I dont drink soda/caffeine, I stay away from salt, I go to a chiropractor who found severe subluxations inregards to what controls my breathing...I take walks every day, I am a terrible eater, no meat chicken or fish at all, although now I eat tremendous amounts of veggies, whole grains, vegan stuff, etc.....
I have added a liquid multi vitamin to my diet, B12 daily, Magnesuim Vitamin "C" and Iron supplement, and probiotics to my diet.....I have to say that two months ago I was trying to figure out how to kill myself, now my breathing is 60% better, I still think about it constantly but I usually only skip five or ten a day and when I have the urge to yawn, I just yawn and feel satisfied....this problem can be beat......The mind is indeed a powerful thing and if it was "all in the mind" that same mind can make this go away also......

I also am awaiting results from a full thyroid workup as Hypothyroidism can indeed cause trouble getting that deep breath, its a fact, documented fact, and I have about ten other symptoms of that also...so yet another hurdle I will cross jump and leave behind....I refuse to live like this, my life was too good before this and now its going to be even better
Thats my story,
Anyone want to give me advice or ask questions, please fell free...
Oh, and get rest, drink water and think positive
Regards,
Geoffrey
I also have had this problem for the last 10 years or so.  When it started I was freaking out thinking it was lung cancer or something.  But after being tested for everything possible my doc told me it was most likely due to my anxiety (which I was diagnosed with a year prior to).  And for those of you who mentioned that it was less noticeable when you were busy or consumed in something...that's because you make it worse by thinking about it.  This alone can be a sign of anxiety and you don't have to feel stressed about anything to have anxiety.   I have full blown panic attacks when everything in my life was perfect and had no panic attacks when everything was a crazy mess!  Hope this helps in some way, maybe try deep breathing and muscle relaxation to help.