Respiratory Disorders Community
Straining to complete yawn, yawning all day, feel i just need a deep b...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Straining to complete yawn, yawning all day, feel i just need a deep breath.

I have had this problem for a long time, but in the last year it has gotten worse and I cant stand it.  I regularly go through periods where I feel the need to yawn or get a deep breath and I just cant. I try and try over and over to yawn (causing me to get head aches), and finally accomplish it just to need  to yawn again. I am a sleepy person all the time,  but  the  straining  to yawn thing  makes me  crazy! I also have increasingly bad short term memory problems (at only 25), could this be connected to the yawning, and lack of oxygen to the  brain? could I  have asthma?  thank you so much for any help you can give me.
Viewing 1-200 comments:
Hi... I find this all very interesting.  I have been reading numerous entries in a variety of forums that all  relate to the same symptoms, but i haven't seen any plausible, concrete advice or evidence that anyone has any real knowledge about what could be causing this.  I, too, am suffering from this wierd "need to yawn, SOB, frustration with breathing regardless of the circumstance~rest, exercise, vertical, horizontal, etc."  I do notice it more at rest than I do when I'm up and around, although it did it on the treadmill at the gym yesterday.  I also notice it when I am eating??  It is REALLY frustrating and can be embarassing to be gasping for a deep breath when you are out and about with friends or whatever.  I do not believe that it is all related to stress.   I am a school teacher, and have not worked since May 31, so my stress level is lower now than it ever is.  Does anyone have any answers here?  It seems like an aweful lot of us are out here suffering the same symptoms in silence.  I do have to say that it is comforting (in a strange way!)  to know that there are others out there, though, and that I am not dying or anything (I hope!~)  Please comment if you know of anything that can be done about this besides asthma treatments and yoga.  Been there and done that.  thanks...
I am 58 years old and have started having the same weird "need to yawn" and most times can not.  It started several weeks ago after I had taken hydrocodone for 2 or 3 days.  I am scheduled to see a pulmonologist but is there any other type of doctor who may have more knowlege of the problem? Right now, all I can do is take xanax to keep me half way calm but it is affectivng my appetitie, relationships etc.  Somebody, please help!!!!
i feel the say way. i feel like i need to yawn or sigh wth  a deep breath constantly. i mean we are talking every 5 minutes all day long for 6 months now. i have had heart tests... nothing but PACs, i had a breathing test and all normal so why do i still feel the need to contstantly take a deep breath or yawn to get it. is this happening cuz i am thinking about it too much?? how many deep breaths a day is normal... if anyone has any advise please let me know and good luck volsy i hope we can get an answer...  
I too feel the same way...for about 2 months now and just about everyday, some days it's all day long. Some days are worse than others & on top of the breathing issues it makes me feel very lethargic, not to mention that my chest & throat start to hurt from all that deep breathing/yawning!  I am a little scared because I know this isn't normal breathing.  If anyone finds out anything I would be grateful to hear the diagnosis.  I can't believe how common this is...good luck to everyone!!!
I think alot of what we are experianceing is the body releaseing adrenaline through the flight or fight response. A type of anxiety that causes the body to release high amounts of adrenaline causeing the muscles to be tense giving the sensation of squeezing or the inability to breath in deep. This in turn causes a more downward spiral effect causeing the symptoms to appear real, which sends us into it again and again mentally and our stresses manifest physically. You cant seperate the thought life from the physical body. Look what a sexual  thought does to physical parts of the body.  Ever notice the symptoms are less when your busy doing somthing or not thinking about it. Ask yourself how much in a day you are thinking about the yawning, which is a reaction to the obsession. A way we cope or recieve temprol comfort.  Your all not dieing which if folks were honest enough is the underlying fear that sends so much in motion. Fear of Death is the king of terrors and we as humans just dont like excepting it yet we are forced to think about it. Then the burden of false shame or embarassment which leaves people suffering in silence. Thats to much of a load to carry. Thank God for sites like this where we can be comforted. Sometimes knowing others understand and feel you is 90% of the cure to anxiety. I would say that what your all experianceing is a form of anxiety either real imagined or post traumatic in nature.
It is NOT stess people!! Yes, it is stressful to not be able to breathe, but stress is NOT the cause! I have had this problem since I was a child (about 5 years old), and now I am 30 years old and 6 months pregnant. It is also NOT from the baby pushing into my lungs. I wasn't stressed out OR pregnant at 5 years old!! It scared me so badly that I went to my ob/gyn and she scheduled me with a pulmonologist and a cardiologist. My lung funtion is perfect--as though I work out all the time, which I don't because I can't breathe!! My oxygen levels were at 98% too which is great. My EKG was normal too. The problem does get worse when I ly down and when I eat. The cardiologist thinks it's acid reflux which can cause wheezing, coughing, shortness of breathe, etc; even without having heartburn which has not been a problem for me. I have been on Nexium for 5 days now, and I feel slightly better, but was up all last night because I couldn't breathe, then around 3:30am I was fine! I have an echocardiogram shceduled for this afternoon. I'm sure it will be fine too. I've also read that anemia or hypothyroidism can cause this. I'm not anemic and my thyroid levels are perfect at a TSH level of 1.8.
I'll keep you posted on the echo, and if I feel better in a few days on the Nexium. I'm praying for all of us who suffer!!
I have a severe yawning problem, which has worsened now that I am 31. I sleep more than usual, when 7-8 hours of sleep would be enough, now I sleep 11-12 hours at night. I yawn all day long and I have noticed increased headaches and short term memory loss. I also have no energy to do anything. I used to be entergetic and always getting up and doing athletic things, and now it takes everything I've got just to go to the store. I am on Lexapro, which is an anti-depressant, and I know that taking such medications have side effects and one of them is excessive yawning. I just want answers and to get my life back on track and my energy level where it used to be. Good luck to all and hope to find the answer to our unusual yawning problem.
I have been taking Nexium for about 2 weeks now...there has been about a 40% relief with my breathing symptoms. I never get heartburn anymore though, which is great. I didn't realize how upset my stomach was until I started the Nexium; but I'm pregnant, so I just expect to not feel very well. I know it takes 4-8 weeks for the Nexium to actually heal the damage, so I will still give it a shot. I just read on another forum that several people feel like they have something stuck in their throat--I do too, and they said it was acid reflux too...even without severe heartburn. Hopefully this is the answer. I would love for it to be! I have a hard time not eating late at night because I always need to eat due to the baby, so maybe my symptoms will take a little longer to subside. For those of you who can, try to see a Gastroenterologist and have some tests done, or at least talk to the doctor about trying Nexium. It may just be the answer. I still don't have my test results back from the echocardiogram done on my heart--they also took pictures of my throat, so maybe that will reveal something; I will keep you all informed!
I've been on Nexium for acid reflux for over 3 weeks now and I can breathe SO MUCH BETTER!! All my lung function test and heart scans came back perfectly fine. I guess the reason I couldn't breathe was acid reflux. Even without heartburn, acid reflux can cause shortness of breath, wheezing, and a feeling of not enough air in the lungs, which can make you feel like you need to yawn in order to get a good breath of air. I know sometimes the breathing difficulties come and go, so I am still a little bit weary that it may return even being on Nexium. But for now, I can breathe and I'm SO happy!!! Check into this!!!! You can do a search for "breathing difficulties + acid reflux" and you will find a lot of information on it. I understand this isn't the cause of everyone's breathing difficulties, but I bet it's a cause of many--it was for me! Too bad my lung doctor NEVER mentioned anything about that!
So interesting! I'm so glad I found this thread because I too have been experiencing the same problem. I am 23 and a few weeks ago I went to the ER (2 different ER's actually in 2 days!) because I thought I was having a heart attack. A week or so before I went to the ER I woke up one morning with a pain in the upper left side of my back that felt sore or strained when I leaned or stretched a certain way and also felt a tightness and a dull ache when I inhaled deeply. That persisted and then about a week after I felt very short of breath and like I couldnt get a deep satifying breath in. It felt like instead of the air filling my lungs all the way, the air would go a little into my lungs and the rest would just sort of evaporate in my throat. I also noticed I was CONSTANTLY yawning, or trying to yawn. Once again, it was like my breath was just getting caught somewhere in my throat and wouldnt go all the way into my lungs. I was also dizzy, lightheaded, completely wiped out and weak. When I went to the ER they did bloodwork, an EKG, took chest xrays and gave me a full body catscan. They didnt see anything wrong with my heart, no collapsed lung, no pulmonary embolism. The doctor assumed it was axiety or stress and sent me home (same thing as the 2nd hospital I went to 2 days later who did their own tests)  Now about 3 weeks after my ER visits my symptoms have gone away for the most part however I still have the pain in my back and sometimes I get that same frequent urge to yawn, yet can't. What could be causing this?? Its so frustrating.
I've been having the same problem. I always have a "Need to yawn" as you put it, and usually it just doesn't seem to have filled my lungs. I also suffer from a memory loss, and perhaps this may account for deprived levels of Co2 or oxygen to my brain, as someone mentioned. I also began to notice a sharp pain on the right side of my ribs, every time I inhale deeply. It is quite reasurring that I am not the only one with these symptoms. It is strange however, because I am only 17 and this has been happening for a number of years now (and I have been ignorant in believing it would go away) and people think I'm sleep deprived when I am yawning constantly at school, even though it can be a bore. I exercise, I am a long-distance runner, and I also get sharp heart pain as well, which the doctors have no explanation for. I don't know what causes this, but I am not the type that indulges in activities that would cause lung problems (ie. smoking etc) I shall be going to a doctor to see what they say, but looking at this thread, it does not seem like a solid and concrete cure, or even an investigation will continue on. For all the people that suffer this in silence, and no one has really paid close attention to what is causing this, it is quiet concerning.
Yawning is a neural and muscular reflex mechanism that occurs from the brain stem. Is it possible that a virus could damage that mechanism? We've got so many new viruses from mutation and they've been know to affect every part of our body. Also, apparently yawning may be controlled by the hypothalamus, through neurotransmitters and hormones. Maybe it might be time to see a neurologist to see if you have any luck there..

Something interesting:
(Migraines)"Prior to the headache phase and at the very beginnings of the migraine attack, there is a drop in magnesium levels, which is believed to be a destabilizing factor causing the nerves in the brain to misfire17 (one theory behind types of visual aura). At the same time, increased dopamine activity is observed, which has been connected with such prodromal symptoms as mood change, yawning and drowsiness." (www.pamcurtis.com/What_is_Migraine-Pam_Curtis.doc) Pointing to the brain again.

There's another interesting article, especially paragraph 9:
http://www.baillement.com/askenazy-arousal.html

"Excessive yawning is also associated with opiate withdrawal and the consumption of a variety of drugs that affect neurotransmitters, such as drugs prescribed for Parkinson's disease or depression.
("http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C653304.html)
How many of us have been on medication for depression?

Good Luck, I hope you all find a cure soon. :)
I have for the last month been suffering from the above mentioned. I can obviously breathe right then all of sudden I try to take a deep breath and I cant. It almost feels like it starts to develop then it stops. That is also the case when I am trying to yawn. I wanna yawn then I cant and I keep trying until i am finally able to do so.

Whats even more frustrating is that I get the urges to yawn more now. And I am not even tired!  I have also started to notice that I am getting a little light headed also, but not everyday.

I went to an ER and the dr on duty told me I was suffering from an anxiety attack.  I am sorry an anxiety attack that last for 4days? I dont think so. I know what at anxiety attack feels like and clearly this is not it.  I have a Dr.s Appt set up for this tues and I am hopinghe can tell me what it is, or else i want a referral for a pulmonologist!

Its also really hard for me to go to sleep now cause of this. I wake up feeling like I cant breathe.
I AM ADDRESSING YOUR YAWNING ISSUE!!! I TOO HVE HAD THIS AND IF IT IS LIKE WHAT IVE HAD ITS ALL FROM TOO MUCH CHEST BREATHING AND NOT ENOUGH FULL BELLY BREATHING. I AM A MASSAGE THERAPIST AND I HAVE TO DO THIS ON A REGULARY BASIS. WHEN YOU BREATH FROM YOUR CHEST TOO MUCH IT CONTRACTS AND CAUSES YOU TO NOT GET EHOUGH OXYGEN AND THEREFORE MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE YOU CANT GET A FULL DEEP BREATH. SO TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, LAY FLAT AND BREATH THRU YOUR STOMACH SO TO SPEAK ... EXTEND YOUR BELLY OUT AND FILL IT WITH AIR LIKE YOUR BREATHING THRU IT. THIS WILL HELP YOU TREMENDOUSLY.

GOOD LUCK
ANGELA
I've been experiencing this problem for the last few months. I can take deep breaths but it doesn't feel refreshing. This causes me to yawn to try and get the full lung/stomach breath. I've tried breathing exercises, yoga but it doesn't seem to help. I was very surprised to see so many people with the same problem.
This seems to be a symptom seems to be connected to a lot of problems right from acid reflux or GERD to anemia, hypothyroidism, sleep apnea and heart problem. But I don't have the other symptoms related to any of the above diseases.
I feel weird, coz some days it's worse than others and people around me have started noticing.  
I didn't have any symptoms of acid reflux either--I just couldn't breathe. I was very hesitant to take Nexium that my cardiologist suggested because the breathing issue was my only symptom. It is working though. I know it could be other things too for you, but I'd check it out if I were you, if just to rule that out.
It really is embarrassing. One day I was at my desk (one of 3 in a front lobby) and I kept yawning and a customer in line for another desk kept making comments on me being tired. He wouldn't stop, every time I yawned and finally I just left my desk until I knew he was gone! Leave me alone people! ;p I'm trying to breathe! =) Good luck!
I just developed this problem in the last month and a half. I have asthma. I feel like I'm drowning. I take Singulair, albuterol inhalers, AND albuterol solution in a nebulizer. The nebulizer helps a teeny tiny bit but not much and I have to do the whole treatment and it makes my heart feel like I've just ran a race. It more than doubles my heart rate and the beating is so HARD. I hate it. I feel hopeless. I'm going to make another Dr. Appointment and ask about the Nexium. Thanks.
p.s. I wonder if MY problem has anything to do with ragweed. I live in Mississippi and a neighbor told me it is high right now. I don't really know how to look that up on the internet but I AM allergic to ragweed. Comments would be appreciated.
Also, I quit smoking a year and a half ago
I have had this for the past 4 days.  It came on after I suffered from seasonal allergies on this past sunday.  By Sunday night, ,my chest was tight and I could not breath for about 2hrs.  I was better on Monday, but then I noticed I keep trying to get a full breath and now I cant stop yawning.  I went to the Pulmonologist Tuesday.  All breathing tests were normal.  I had an EKG and it was normal.
This is getting annoying and really bothering me.  I dont know what to do
genaa27
I'm new to this sight, but am grateful to have found it.  I have been suffering for three years now..miserable, can't stop yawning.  I'm miserable by days end from yawing all day...several times ever minute...and even after yawning..the relief is seconds long, cause another is required right behind it.  I have had every test from heart to lung to sleep apnea...tried many drugs, anxiety, depression, wakefulness....puzzled the doctors.  Thought maybe even this could be related to my implants, but unless all of you have had implants, I don't any longer think that is the cause (but I don't want to rule out anything...I just want it fixed).  I will be asking to try Nexium (thank  you pregnant and breathless), and will be practicing the stomach breathing (thank you Alapp1212)...

Anything that has caused anyone even temporary relief...please share...I now have an additional system of which my chest feels like an overinflated balloon.
You are suffering from overbreathing, check you are diaphram breathing mouth closed will sleeping all breathing through nose at all times as you bomp grows theres less room for correct breathing. this over breathing causes spasums in all including uterus remember to give birth you must be fully dialated this a problem for hyperventlors check doc. slow down breathing increase CO2 in your blood and that of your unbourne
your yawn is from low CO2 sensing in your brain, check bood gas, resting calm CO2 should be high, as a result the yawn is your brain sencor thinking you have high blood CO2 when you in fact have low CO2 this yawn and shy is overbreathing causing fatige mouth brething. check with GP
Not only a question, but comments.  I have been suffering for 3 years of excessive yawning.  The yawning causes extreme discomfort by days end.  I have visited the doctor many times, had many tests done, gallons of blood drawn, cardiograms, pulmonary specialiests, sleep specialists, bone scans, been on many meds, depression, wakefulness, yadda...yadda..yadda....the doctor finds nothing, I feel stupid and leave embarrassed...but so uncomfortable that I don't want to go on like this.  Why can't they fix me.

I've read so many comments here and for the first time I don't feel alone...this in itself has helped me...for two days I feel my symptoms are slightly better...or maybe the upteenth drug I've been given to try has helped.  I am specific, non narcotic and non addictive...also I don't like drugs that make me sleepy...I have a full day ahead of me every day.

My concern here is...all I"ve ready is the same course of action, cardiogram, pulmonary specialist, sleep studies...then drugs....what about a doctor that thinks out of the box.  This isn't normal...it can't be normal...I want to feel alive and like I used to.  I recall the day it happed, Oct 17 2004...that's along long time.  What about a rare disease not identified on an xray that attacks our muscles, lungs?  What about the brain...I haven't heard many that physicians ruled out the brain....I don't feel stressed, I don't feel depressed...although this breathing is taking a toll on me...I'm a happy blessed individual that enjoys hiking, exercise, crocheting...readhing....many many interests...and even work...I don't dread work.

I am not going to rule out all I've read above and am highlighting everything I haven't tried that others says works for them....I'll discuss with my doctor...He'll phone in anything he's so puzzled and swears he'll write a journal when we figure it out.  

But it's not just the need to yawn 3 times every minute...it is the strain it is taking on my body.  My chest can hurt and fell tight (nothing wrong with the ticker we've already ruled that out.

I'm taking all these printouts to my doctor....there has to be one doctor that wants to take a stand....something is wrong.

I'll keep reading everything anyone posts...deperate
k
I am new to this page but find it very informative.  My daughter who turned 6 in September, has recently come down with this "need to take a deep breath" thing.  She says she has no pain with it. I notice that it gets a little worse when she eats.  If she is active, like running or engaged on the computer, it isn't as bad.  I told my husband about it a few days after I noticed it and he told me that he has had it for as long as he can remember.  Could it be a genetic thing?  He told me that he gets rid of the feeling by yawning.  His doesn't seem to be as bad as others that I have read here.  And he did say that his gets worse if someone brings it up. ( When we were talking about my daughter, he yawned about 15 times in 10 minutes).  This is very puzzling and I can't help but t feel sorry for her.
She has never complained about it but I can't help but feel that it's driving her crazy.  Anyway, I plan on taking her to the pediatrician to see if they can shed any light on this subject.  Thanks to all who have written.
I've suffered this now for almost a year. It started by constantly sighing, taking a deep breath and not feeling relieved or only for a minute or so. I have breathed through my mouth my whole life, i dont know why but i'd say i breath 90% through my mouth.
My symptons are getting worse the more i think about it and especially on sundays when i'm not doing much. I think i am also developing pannick attacks when i am in a long taxi ride, traffic or at a restaurant because when my breathing starts to go or something doesnt feel right, i start worrying a lot and sure i unsettle my breathing even more to the point where i worry.
I've had a blood test and Xrays on my lungs and nothing was wrong. the doctor just said 'anxiety' and gave me some 40mg propranolol to take 3 times a day. I find it helps sometimes if i am out and take the pills, but i dont really feel any improvement with these drugs.

I'm sure this is a psychological thing, perhaps severe anxiety. I'm 23 year old male entrepreneur abroad, so do suffer some stress but i would say i was happy with the way things were going.

If anyone can help me to stop this it would be amazing. It's taking over my life a bit now and i'm staying in a lot more than i used to
I have been having those breathing problems since the end of May and the allergist told me to take Prilosec, but I have been very nervous to take them.........he said that he thinks I have silent reflux and that the pills would help..........I am going to see a gastro. in dec. when my insurance kicks in to see if that's the true problem.........I have also been experiencing throat burning and conjestion in my nose, which my airways feel like they are closing and I can't breath........is the nexium still helping you and do you think it will help me?..........is pepcid ac the same as prilosec and nexium? will it help? Does anyone know if Prilosec is safe?........Thank you...........:-)
I have been visiting this forum for almost two years now and I am so shocked everytime I come here and see all the comments posted.  I have had this problem since December of 2005, which was my first trip to the ER.  I, like a lot of you here, have had every test done under the sun.  All of which came back negative.  I have also at one point, printed out this string of comments and given to my doctor just to show her this is real and that it is not just me.  She has prescribed aciphex, which is just like Nexium and I take it but it doesn't seem to help.  I also have xanax which I only take when it is really bad because I am thrown into such a panic attack I am looking for ANYTHING that will help me.  I do find that it is worse when I eat and I full so full that I can't breath, no matter how much I eat.  But I yawn all day long, trying to catch that " one deep breath".  I continue to go to the doctor about every six months so if nothing else she can at least do blood work and re-assure me that there is nothing wrong there.  I don't know what it is, what causes it, but it is obviously a BIG problem for a lot of people.  I have tried  all the breathing techniques that I have seen people post here and I will admit that sometimes really paying attention to diaphram breathing instead of chest breathing helps but only sometimes.  It doesn't always help.  For the last week I have gotten very little sleep because of not being able to breathe good.  I will continue to read here and hope someone can help!!!
I have been to the er three times in the past year for breathing issues and they tell me I am fine..........one dr. told me that I was hyperventalating, because I kept tkaing those deep breaths just trying to get a good one.............The allergist is the one that told me he thinks it is due to acid reflux and to try the prilosec, but I am trying the pepcid ac, cause if that works then I don't need a stronger one.........maybe you should ask your dr. if switching would be better..............and anxiety definitely makes it worse, along with physically doing anything, which just sucks, because I have always been able to clean my house and I have not been able to hardly anything for almost two years now without some sort of reaction whether it is the breathing or the burning in my nose and mouth............but I will let you know if the dr I see can tell me anything.........:-)
I too have had some of the same symptoms, yawning, sighing, can't catch my breath or feel like i am not able to take in a "good" breath. My doctor doesn't know what this is and isn't even offering anymore testing. i too notice that my symptoms get worse after eating. i can do some physical things but not others....especially somethings that require arm movements. I get chest pain especially on the left side running down to the rib cage and around the back to the shoulder blade, with pain going up and into the collar bone and into the jaw are. i experience weakness in one or both arms, especially in the forearm region. Numbness and tingling in the fingers, toes, and lips. The worse the symptoms get the less i sleep, the less i sleep the worse it gets. oh, and i know what you mean about it getting worse when people mention it.This has been happening on and off for over a year now. i have asthma, and am on singular, advair, and flonase. I have had all the cardio tests run...negative, i have had tons of pulmonary test done...all normal. Except one test, a VO2 test that showed that there was an abnormality between the respiratory and cardiac functions. They are trying to send me 2 states away for a week of tests at the Jewish National hospital, but I don't think it will do any good and then we will just be out the money. isn't there a respiratory doctor out there who can help, at least try to answer our questions????  I also have been found to have an unusual amount of calcium deposits in my lungs, that show up on x-ray...anyone else???
My daughter  has a new symptom of coughing.  She says she feel like there's something in her throat but the cough is unproductive and seems to be worse at night.  She has been diagnosed with a post nasal drip problem in the past which I have to give her cough medicine consisting of Promethazine w/codeine syrup.  That is the only thing that helps her.  My younger son has been diagnosed w/asthma so maybe there's some connection there.  Sci_teacher, did your symptoms start before or after you were diagnsed w/asthma? I am taking my daughter to the pediatricin Nov. 21st and will write when I return, hopefully with some sort of answer.
Have you been to a gastro? You may want to look into to seeing one to see if it is related to acid reflux.........just a thought............:-)
I am 39, I was diagnosed with Asthma at 18, I too have coughing that worsens at night. Sometimes it is so bad that I cannot sleep. I take Promethazine also, and it does help. Flonase has helped with all of the sinus drainage and stuffyness. Good luck at the doctor, let me know if he helps. Also, let him know that there are others out there with the same symptoms and it is not just Asthma.
I have been to the ENT and been scoped, I do not have any abnormalities in my mouth, throat, nose, larynyx, vocal cords, or trachea nor any signs of acid reflux.
well, at least you don't have that issue............I wish I could help, but I have no other thoughts on it.........please let us know if you find out..........God bless you and take care.
forcing myself to breath through my nose as much as possible has helped somewhat

i've realised i think my nose is to narrow to breath nicely through it so i have always breathed through my mouth
I got an earlier appt. @ the pedatrician for my daughter today.  Her symptom of not beaing able to get a deep breath seems to be getting a little better but now it's this cough and it's worse when she eats.  While eating, she coughs and arches her back and looks up.  She told the doc. today that she needs to do that because she can't get a good cough by doing it the normal way.  I told the doctor about all of you that I have been writing and corresponding to and that my husband has been dealing with this for years, and he really didn't have an answer for me.  Only that it's common for kids and teens to hyperventilate.  When they feel like they need to get a breath, they keep trying and it gets more and more panicky for them.  His diagnosis at this time is Cough Variant Asthma.  Which basically boils down to asthma minus the weezing.  I have to give her 1 vial of albuterol 3 times a day for 3 days and call him to let him know if her cough is better.  She told me today that she was worse when she had lunch.  The doc. said that if that is the case and continues to be the case, then they will explore the possiblility of a reflux problem.  I can't believe that so many people have this and there is no solution yet!!!!! I would love to know where you all live (state).  I live in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.  Maybe it's in the air! I have read that the Lehigh Valley is one of the worst places to live as far as asthma goes and so far, it's been proving true in my family. I know none of this is helpful for you all but I thought I'd tell it anyway.  I personally don't have this condition but live w/2 people who do and I can't even imagine how hard it is to deal with on a daily basis.  I'll write on Monday and let you know if anything has improved.
Well, I live in Florida and thought it was the heat of the summer at first, but it is not that. Maybe it is something in the air...........:-(
The feeling that your lungs have air in them, but you still need to "get more air in", by taking a deep breath or yawning, is a symptom of ASHTMA.

Most GPs don't recognize the symptom. I was told this by my Allergist/Asthma doctor.
I am 46 and i have had this feeling of "yawnness" since at least 12/15 years ago; i have lived in Brazil for over 20 years on the seaside and also in cities with no beaches and it didn't make a difference, now i live in NYC and the condition  became really sharp, i think i yawn or i try to yawn 25/30 times a day; the feeling of claustrophobia is bigger in NY, but my apetite for success make me love this city, though sometimes i think this is really boring...
Anyway,
never went to the doctor in so many years; i have an excess of energy, i do not feel tire at all, but i need to yawn; i am willing for doing more and more stuff all the time; i sleep between 6 and 8 hours a day ( including eventual naps); the problem really obsess me but after so many years of carrying this condition i assume the emotional causes of a psychological problem that has its origins in my childhood.
Anxiety and fear of death,  selfmania, permanent boredom, existential boredom, self absortion, etc. can cause the soul to wish to scape from the body in the fashion of yawning...  
I hope to throw some light for somebody here.
Peace.
I forgot to add that i do not take medications, i am drug free, i drink with moderation and i smoke two or three hand rolled cigarettes a day.
I am an ex dancer. I am a bike rider and sometimes i feel like yawning while riding, its horrible.
I repeat, i don't take any medication except for tylenoil once in a while.
However there's two activities that i practice each time i can and i do not notice myself yawning or trying to yawn while performing this two activities: swimming or having sex.

Any suggestions....?
I agree with the comment on 11/10 - This is asthma without the wheezing.  Alburterol should help.  Mine usually comes at the same time of the year indicating an allergy reaction to something in the air.  It is VERY aggravating but go with the asthma angle and you should get some relief.
My first suggestion would be to stop smoking immediately. You really should see a pulmonologist maybe they could give you medication to help alleviate your symptoms. Also just a suggestion for everyone: Instead of yawning so much have you tried raising your arms? This elongates the chest cavity and allows the lungs to expand easier, i find i can do this when i am sitting and it helps a little.
I started these symptoms about 3 weeks ago. I first noticed it on afternoon, and it lasted until I went to bed. Getting to sleep was very hard as I always felt like suffocating was likely to occur at any moment. I never sensed that I was actually low on oxygen but the attempt to yawn and inability to do so induced an almost panic feeling. Occassionally I could manage a yawn only to feel the need for another within less than a minute. Over the course of the last couple of weeks it got worse, till finally it entered my head the moment I woke up and stayed with me till I went to sleep. IT IS MERCILESS and very hard to explain to others.
After searching on the internet, trying breathing exercises, calling my cardiologist and talking with everyone that would listen I think I have found the solution, at least for myself. Here is what I think:

Something has caused me to become aware of my breathing, I think it was a visit to the dentist recently in which I was trying to control my anxiety to have a tooth ground down for a crown.

Once I became aware of my breathing I think I begin to try to meter it, which was my first mistake. All it took was trying to yawn one time and not being able t,o and it started a small but growing panic. From what I have learned in my research, one purpose of yawning itself is as an instinctual reaction to panic, perhaps allowing an increase in oxygen for the fight or flight reflex. Regardless, my body felt no honest need to yawn so it did not happen. I don't think we are supposed to yawn on command, it is an automatic action that happens as needed. Trying to yawn to calm our unrational, unnessesary panic creates a visious cycle. If we wake up thinking "my god, i might have problems breathing, yawning again today, we in fact will have that problem, and within 30 minutes be totally absorbed with our inability to yawn on command. I was going crazy, unable to concentrate on anything except my next yawn, which only gave me about 1 minute of pure peace at the most.

Convinced that this was a anxiety/panic issue, I was able to obtain Valium to see if it helped. I tried 5mg to start and it really did not help much. On the second day I tried 10mg every 4 hours and by the afternoon, the urges had almost stopped completely. I repeated that dosage on the third day and seldom even thought about the problem. Yesterday I was able to do without the Valium until early afternoon. I made the mistake of trying to yawn and when I could not I felt the cycle starting again. This morning I got up and decided I would do everything in my power to not even try and yawn. By not trying I never got the panic message that I could not do it. I also felt a GREAT comfort knowing that if the panic cycle started, that I had the medicine in my pocket to make it stop. The combination of these actions has allowed my to precariously avoid the problem all day today without any Valium. If I wake up tommorrow and need them, I will take them, but I feel certain that in short order this will go away. If it returns, if some event starts the cycle over, I know I can break the panic.

Just remember, an anxiety/panic attack can happen very quietly, deep inside with you barely aware that it is growing. Our fight or flight reflexes respond very quickly and powerfully. They are there to save our life but can sometimes make it misserabole.

Please understand I am not a doctor or medical professional, just a person trying to cope with this bizarre issue. But I know it has turned around like night and day and I am a VERY VERY happy person.
wiltonh3, i think you are right. About 10 years ago, I went thru this very same thing. Felt the need to yawn, couldnt get enough air and started this huge cycle that lasted about a month. Fast forward to today, and I'm going thru it again!

For me, I believe its like what Wiltonh3 said. Panic/anxiety. A vicious cycle of thinking I cant breathe, panicking about it then starting it all over again. I noticed that when Im deeply involved in a show/book or about ready to go to sleep, I do not do this. Its not in my thoughts so the need isnt there. But as SOON AS i think of it again, it starts back up. I also find that I'm getting dizzy by doing this and am frustrated in my every day life because of it.

I havent tried valium (yet). One thing I read that I found interesting in this forum, someone mentioned yawning started at the brain stem. I recently noticed a hugely enflamed lymph node that was hurting. Went to the doc about that and he said my body was fighting off an infection..staph or strep, and now im antibiotics. Im not sure if the infection could be causing this or what. but i know the more i worry, think,stress about it, the worse it gets.

Its awful and im sorry everyone is going thru it, but it sure feels better knowing i'm not alone!
Try the valium if you can get it prescribed. Let me know how it goes for you.
I also get this and I only get it when thinking about it....its like i feel im hyperventilating even though when I check im not...if anything im just breathing too deep...but then isnt breathing too deep the same as hyperventilating....but anyway.....if any of you, like me have noticed that it is worse when you are thinking about it or that it only comes on when you are not distracted...its probably panic.....and to those suggesting that it is asthma.....im going through it as I type this yet my peak flow is telling me my asthma is ok...so therefore it isnt nessecarily asthma. Check anxiety symptoms and if you have any of these as well as the breathing it might just be anxiety...even though I know (and agree) that it feels much much worse than anxiety you get when you just a little nervous about something. And I think the pure fact that you have all typed about your problem on here proves your eve if just a little bit, anxious about it.....just my thoughts...but I could be wrong!

hope it gets better for u all
Found this forum looking for an answer to my yawning to breathe.  I had my first yawning episode after a topical treatment at a dentist and ended up in an ER.  Was sent to a doctor for allergy testing.  I was told I had a tolerance allergy to metabisulfite, a food preservative. It is in so many foods and doesn't always have to be labeled.  It is used to clean the lines in fountain drinks, in iv meds, and many other things. Just had another huge reaction to an iv flush. Now my yawning occurs way more.  At least a doctor in ER did research on sulfite allergies and came to believe me that it wasn't just "stress".  Am trying to work on my increased episodes.  Any ideas?
Do you yawn constantly or find yourself trying and not being able to yawn?
I try to yawn a few times and then I feel like I get a big breath and then I can yawn.
i remember having this for a few months in the third grade and then for years it went away. in my mid twenties it came back and i have had a problem with the needing to yawn and not getting a deep enough breath ever since. have been told many things am on qvar inhalor have tried nexium protonix and anxiety drugs. i KNOW its not anxiety but can cause it especially initially because it is so unusual and disruptive. I do have hypothyroidism but experienced this before i got it. the one thing i notice is that i started to develope it when i started gaining weight. i was also heavier in the third grade. my eyes usually water when the yawning gets bad. i notice it even more when i eat and at night. i've been to so many dr.s with no solution. is anyone else overweight. i think it might have some part to play.
f.y.i- i too have had calium deposits found in my lungs and calsified lymph nodes in my lungs. it makes me want to cry to see others in my situation for the first time i feel i am not alone. and i wonder what effects this will have on my lungs when im older. please if anyone would like to get in contact directly especially the woman who found calcium deposits in her lungs my email is ***@****. i have done are sarcoidosis after they found the granuloma and wonder if there could be a correlation.
Oh my God....I was starting to think I was crazy in the head...But obviously I am not since there are so many others out there with these exact same things that I have.  Feeling like I could yawn and yawn and yawn, and not always getting the  breathe of air I need to feel better...which like someone else stated is a very short lived relief.  I too have had test upon test to try and figure all of this out...They say my heart, lungs, ect all looks good.  I had the blood gas test, that was fine...  I was put on anxiety drugs, which is great because I suffer from anxiety...have my whole life.  I feel like the drugs have greatly improved that, however I was hoping the yawning and feeling like I can't breathe would go away...It hasn't.  I think the whole yawing, breathing things gives me anxiety.  I have had this for 3 years now.  I went back in and the Dr. increased my Zoloft to 150 mg, and said that if this didn't help I should see a shrink....I just don't feel a shrink is going to help this issue.  I am not mentally unstable.  Anxiety, but I am never depressed.  Someone above stated that some Dr. should think outside of the box..I totally agree and I am going to take all these comments with me to the doctor sometime, and prove to him I am not insane...Thats how they have made me feel.  So on that note, I am going to try the salt thing, and the breathing from my stomach instead of my chest.  I am willing to give anything a shot just to feel normal again.  I pray everynight to God that he helps me feel normal again.  I am only 31 years old..  Thanks to everyone who has posted...I feel a little relieved to know there are others out there...and please if anyone gets an answer on what the heck this is please share ASAP.
Yet another two cases to add to this long list.  I am 30 years old and have had this problem since I was a young child.  I yawn at rest, at dinner, at the gym...you name it.  I have been doing it so long that I don't even notice I am doing it anymore...other people notice and bring it up to me.  My husband thinks I am sighing at him because I am mad...but, I'm not...just subconsciencely "catching" my breath.  My trainer at the gym thinks I not paying attention or that she is boring me as she shows me a particular exercise...not true.  It was ten times worse when I was anemic last year, plus had a case of tachacardia (rapid heart beat at rest.)  Which my doctor said my anemia wasn't "bad" enough to be causing those symptoms.  I had EKG, blood tests and thyroid test...only thing not normal was a slightly low hymiglobin level.  My anemia is gone now, but my excessive yawn/sighing continues.

It use to drive me crazy, but not any more...I have accepted that I will continue to do it for the rest of my life.  I am no longer worried about me, but now focus on my 7 year old son who seems to of had the problem for the past two years.  I have taken him to the doctor, who after examming him says "he just has a bad habit."  I do find it interesting that we both have the same "bad habit."  Something else we share is that we can not run long distances.  My son is the fastest runner in the class, but "poops out" first.  My husband, who was a big track runner in high school, attempted to start training him, but soon quit when he realized our son's severe shortness of breath while running.  Doctor says no asmtha.  What to do??
All I can say is "WOW" I thought I was the only one.  All of these postings are alike!  I too have had CT's of the lungs, stress echos, blood tests, xrays...everything.  Again, written off as anxiety.  Here is the good news....I FOUND A BRIEF SOLUTION...I am still exploring it.  I decided western medicine sucks, it's all about prescribing medicine that's bad for you and pushing you off from the ER feeling like you are crazy.  So, I went to an accupuncturist for my heavy periods and mentioned by problems breathing as well.  Without mentioning is she had put some needles in my lung meridians (painless) and after removing them asked me to breath deeply (I thought yeah right!)  Low and behold I felt the bottom of my lungs...I wanted to cry!  It felt so good!  A full healthy, satiating deep breath.  She said my diaphram is tightly held up into my rib cage and she helped to drop it.  I don't care how crazy or unexplainable it all was, it worked!  It only lasted 3 days.  I started my period (which always makes my SOB worse) and it came back.  I am going back to her next week and will keep everyone posted.

my stats: I am 36 and have 3 young children and workout 5 days a week. I could stand to lose 10-15 pounds.

Let's all please keep posting so we keep our sanity!  Thank you to everyone for sharing your stories.
I am 24, in good health, have no anxiety problems, and have this same breathing symptom. I feel the constant need to yawn, but only occasionally can I get enough air in to satisfy the yawn. When this symptom lingers for hours and days, it can actually make my chest start to feel a bit tight and I can even get a little bit light-headed.I was a high school and college tennis player, so my lungs are strong. What is also strange about that is that it never seems to impact my athletic ability. You think I'd be choking and wheezing on the court, but I seem to get plenty of oxygen (perhaps mental, then?)

I do have acid reflux disease. The problem is I take nexium (have for some time), no longer get heart burn, but have gotten no relief from this breathing nuisance, so I don't think that's the issue.

One thing I have noticed is that this problem almost always correlates very strongly with mucus production. I am constantly clearing my throat of mucus and at night I'll have postnasal drip. I haven't been sick in almost three years - not even a cold, but it feels like I'm always blowing my nose and clearing my throat. The doctor gave me an inhaler, thinking it was asthma, but it seemed to have no effect. Maybe I was using it incorrectly. I'm guessing I do have some kind of allergy, though.

I was a little worried for a while that it was cystic fibrosis, but that seems to be something you're dealing with even as a child, whereas I've only noticed this problem for the past few years.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the mucus is a concurrent symptom, a cause, a result...I just know that with me it seems to be very strongly related to the strange yawning/breathing phenomenon. Those others who in this thread who have this strange problem: Do you notice increased mucus production at the time?
I developed this symptom when I was 12. Need to yawn and need to take deep breath. About 10 years later I was diagnosed with mild exercise-induced asthma. The doctor blamed the asthma for the yawning/deep breath thing.
I am now almost 53. I rarely experience asthma symptoms (went away in my 40's), but I still periodically experience the yawning/deep breath thing. I go over my list of asthma inducers and see nothing that triggered it. I think it is not the asthma.
I'm thinking some autonomic nervous system reaction. The autonomic nervous system has an amazing array of weirdly possible reactions. This just has the feel of autonomic nervous system.
"Do you notice increased mucus production at the time?"

I've had this constant need to yawn "thing" for a while now. It's gotta be somewhat contagious, becauseI wasn't born with this, in fact I remember when I first started to feel ill. It started with extreme muscle pain that lasted for about a week, and being extremely tired. Then my strenght gradually/slowly came back, and incrementaly started to feel less tired, where as now I'm almost back to my pre-yawning illness days. However the yawning is still here, and I found it's related to mucus i get in my sinuses, and one way to relieve it is to drink something hot, like coffee, to liquify the mucus somewhat, to then be able to swallow it. (i now it sounds gross)I also believe this could be the cause of acid reflux, which i also experienced early on, but now not so much.

Exercise definatly helps. When i firt experience the symptoms of yawning I had to sleep 10-12 hours instead of my usual 8, and i woulf feel tired again a few hours later, but now  it's like the tiredness is a phsycological thing now, not a physical thing, because excercise is what has helped me regain my strenght and stamina, to where I was a few years ago. it's been a long road, i haven't beaten it completely yet, but i do find i yawn less often, and when i do it has to do with with some sort of mucus build up in my sinuses. In addition to drinking hot liquids like coffee/ tea/ soup drinking water also has helped me regain my strenght, and short term memory loss. I also find chewing gum helps stop the yawning.

I feel the need to eat more often however, which i think is related to that mucus in my sinuses that drip down through my naval cavity through my mouth and thoat.

I think it's some sort of virus/bactaria in the nasal cavity. anyways I know i'm not the only one with this strange illness, and have been living with it for 10+ years now and getting stronger. also people might want to look into chemtrails and/or gulf war illness... this is not normal.
I find this need to yawn column interesting and reassuring. I have faced this the last three weeks when I actually developed a bad upper respiratory tract infection. The infection subsided in a week but the sensation of not being able to complete a yawn and feel a certain shortness of breath persisted. In fact drove me nuts But i am happy to say that over the last two days when I have rested and taken an antihistamine cough syrup I feel much much better The yawns come easy and i no struggle to breathe
Greetings to All!

The problem being discussed here is related to breathing pattern disorder. Let me explain:

What initiates the problem - Over breathing either in the form of rate (more number of breaths per minute) or volume (excessively deep). When you breathe rapidly, you deplete CO2 levels in your lungs causing an imbalance in the blood pH. This results in symptoms such as excessive yawning/sighing, shortness of breath, tightness of chest, dizziness, fatigue, anxiety, sleep disturbances etc

What sustains the problem - The fear/worry that one has some serious underlying physical/mental illness which the doctors do not understand. Even in the extreme case when one ends up in a panic attack (Hyperventilation Syndrome), where one would end up in a heart-attack like situation, there would be no physiological abnormality in the tests

The solution - The aim is to reduce the breathing rate - the normal breathing rate for an adult is 12 to 20 breaths per minute. The ways in which the breathing pattern could be corrected are listed below:

1. If you breathe through your mouth, stop that immediately

2. If you breathe using your chest (shallow breathing), start abdominal/diaphragmatic breathing. This is how you make out your breathing style - place one hand on your chest and other on your abdomen and start breathing in your normal way. Which hand moves most? If its the upper, you are using your chest

3. This helps significantly: http://youtube.com/watch?v=PXrmCR6Dp5M

4. This helps too: http://youtube.com/watch?v=4hIKv2dsPC8

Initially practicing any of the above could be difficult and frustrating (you are an over breather and it would be hard for you to hold your breath). But soon you would get comfortable and start feeling better within a few weeks

For those who are normally stressed due to personal/professional reasons, they may consider the following as well:

1. Seeing a psychologist to learn to deal with stress and relax

2. Also in a few countries, some certified trainers teach this breathing technique called Buteyko Method, which is reported to have benefited a lot of individuals in correcting their breathing related problems including asthma (reportedly more than 50% of over breathing cases worldwide have been mislabelled and wrongly diagnosed as asthma and those patients are receiving inappropriate medication)

For individuals who experience mood swings/depression, they should read this book by a noted psychiatrist (a bestseller for mood therapy without medication) - Feeling Good by David Burns. The link for this ebook: http://www.esnips.com/doc/795e38e4-14ed-48e2-b6ae-cd76173b8502/Feeling-Good-The-New-Mood-Therapy---David-Burns

Few other points:

1. This condition is a result of just a bad habit (wrong way of breathing). Its can be corrected and is not at all life threatening

2. When you get yawning sensation, you might feel you need oxygen, but it fact there is already a lot of O2 in your system and it is absolutely okay if you are not able to complete the yawn - do not be tense. Getting anxious would worsen the situation and a vicious cycle would set in

3. When you feel shortness of breath, you are not falling short of breath in reality - you are actually over breathing. Deliberately slow down your breathing and you shall feel better

Wishing you good luck and good health

Regards,
Rajesh
Are you a medical professional?  
No. I am a management student. I faced the same problem and happened to learn all this through talking to physicians and extensive reading
Thanks for the tips, but I think you should re-read the comments.

because, this is not simply a breathing pattern problem due to stress or whatever, it's much more than that. Not saying we couldn't benefit from better breathing patterns, just that there's more to this.

This "yawning thing"  has to be caused by a virus/bactaria of some sort (or even a man made bio weapon). What's more is  this "yawning illness" started to surface "when just by coincidence" smoking bans in all public places, workplaces, bars and restaurants throughout all of north america and other countries around the world in the mid to late 90's started being implemented. Just a coincidence? I think not.

People breathing second hand smoke from a person infected by this "yawning illness" would themselve fall ill, I believe that is why countries around the world, all of a sudden started implemented smoking bans.

However, this "yawning thing" is NOT in the lungs, it's in the sinuses. That is why people complain about breathing problem, yet doctor's cannot find anything wrong with the lungs after x-ray and blood work.

We also breath through our nasal cavaty people. Close your mouth for a few minutes. You'll find that you can still get air in and out of your lungs, right? It's that mucus or whatever that drips from the nasal cavity that causes the "yawning thing". I'm no doctor, but I know my body better than anybody, I'm sure of it.

I have kept the explanation simple so that everyone here may understand it. I also tried avoiding the medicine jargon and talking about all the chemistry behind the whole thing

Initially even for me it was hard to believe that such a complex situation might arise out of such a simple mechanism of breathing

The breathing is regulated by brain sensing the CO2 levels in the system. A fall in CO2 leads to hypocapnia (induced by hyperventilation) and this triggers a series of reactions and events from the brain. You may yourself read it up on the internet - there are innumerable resources

I have put stress/worry as one of the causative factors because, in these states, you normally tend to over breathe

Regarding the virus/bacteria/smoking aspect: almost everybody is exposed to all of them, but not all have developed the aforementioned symptoms. But yes, they are harmful, in some other way

Before I end, let me re-iterate: my post is for 'excessive yawning/sighing, shortness of breath, tightness of chest, dizziness, fatigue, anxiety, sleep disturbances' symptoms. If you are experiencing various other things, then pl do consult a physician

Good luck

R
I think you have explained this condition better than anyone on here. It makes total sense. it's pretty much how I feel about it as well.
oh and by the way yes i do notice an increased mucus production during my yawning episodes. After a few yawn in a row i always have to blow my nose. I asked my bf the other day does he have to blow his nose after yawning and he said not at all.
I have had this condition for YEARS!!!  I have researched it, have had every test done and it all comes back to anxiety, even when I don't think I'm anxious about anything!  I have noticed that no one has discussed caffeine.  Sometimes coffee makes it worse and I vow every day to try to go without my daily cup.  I really need to try!
I get short of breath/yawn at the craziest times.  I have found that Ativan helps somewhat.  Any suggestions from anybody else???
a year ago i was smoking weed and then i tried to yawn.i couldnt. my inability to yawn made my heart skip beats and that really scared me. after a week of not even being able to leave my house.i went to the doctor, he said it was anxiety but it just doesnt add up.istopped smoking. i took caffine completly out of my diet and it kind of helped. sleeping is the worst part for me though.its soooo hard.i still havent gotten a yawn and im praying for one or at least sweet death.anythings better than this
Hello everyone! I'm a 27 year old female, and unfortunately, I've experienced SOB and frequent yawning for the last 4 years. It is extremely debilitating, and like many of you, I have had every test under the sun, and the doctors have found nothing wrong. They always ride it off as anxiety, but I'm not really an anxious person. I even told my doctor, the only reason I'm stressed, is because "I CAN'T BREATHE." I agree....it is worse when I'm not keeping busy, and when I'm dwelling on it, and also when I eat. I'm also wondering if any of you have the hiccups or belch frequently??? I hiccup all the time...it's kind of embarrassing during a sales appointment! Anyways, I'd love to hear from others how to cope with this miserable problem. Has anyone found any relief? It's so terrible that so many of us are suffering from this :( I hope we can all get an answer!
Me too!  I first developed this last year shortly after I quit smoking...I went back to smoking and it got better, but didn't disappear.  I too feel like I can't breathe and need to yawn.  I quit smoking again 3 months ago and it does seem to be worse.  I feel like it is not related to stress...I do notice increased mucus aggravates the problem.  When my sinuses seem to be collecting at the back of my throat...I then feel this need to yawn that I can't always complete.  I don't have a cure, but some things that have helped me are breathing from my stomach, breathing into a paper bag as if you've hyperventilated and clearing my nose/throat.  When I get this urge to yawn and I can't complete the yawn, I will often stand up if I'm sitting, or immediately try to turn my attention to something else.  Focusing on the fact that a yawn won't come only makes it worse.  I hope if anyone finds a diagnosis/cure they will come back and let us know!
Oh my Gosh, I too haave this problem and it has been going on what seems like forever.  I'm actually kind  of wierd though, I do not have a pituitary gland. I diagnosed myself after many wasted trips to the ER and decided that it was hormonal in some way.  It does work though if you lie down and take deep breaths.  At first I thought it was stress also, but not so much now.
As many have already said, it is a relief to know that others are having the same embarassing problem.  I hate that people are asking me why I yawn so much or why I breath in such a weird fashion.

I'm almost 28 years old, but only first had this problem last fall.  I thought it might be related to my seasonal allergies (which I have in the spring and fall to pollen and ragweed), but I still had the problem in the winter.  It has definitely been worse as my allergies get worse though.

A first doctor, convinced it was asthma, prescribed Singular and Albuterol, although neither helped.  A second doctor gave me Advair to try for two weeks, and while it did help a little bit, it by no means eliminated the problem.  It maybe made it 20% better.

I still constantly gasp for air and yawn and would love to figure out a solution.  I have no idea where to turn though.  I'm visiting the second doctor again soon in the hopes that some progress may be made, but in reading others' accounts, I don't have high hopes.

Has anybody else been prescribed Advair?  Did it help at all?  Has anybody found a solution that seems to work for them?  The postings I've read seem to indicate changing breathing patterns and maybe something that treats acid reflux (Nexium being the favorite I believe) may be my best alternatives at this point.  Please, any thoughts, suggestions, or comments are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your insight, and thank you to all who have posted thus far.

I too have had this problem for a few months now. I honestly thought it was just me. Every time I mention this to family they just look at me like I'm crazy and so I mostly just stay silent about it and just suffer through it. I have acid reflux and I have been trying to figure out if that could possibly be the problem. It is like I can't breathe and it practically lasts all day. I try to yawn but it's like I can't complete it except very few times and that feels like a big relief but then I go right back to not being able to breathe good. My doctor has just put me on Aciphex and so far I have no relief. I don't know what I am going to do. It makes me feel helpless.
Suffered with it for 30 years..... IT IS ANXIETY.
I tried many many drugs for depression, which I also have, but the ONLY thing that relieved that "I can't take a deep breath, can't finish a yawn . . . . ATIVAN = LORAZAPAM

THAT'S  what finally worked!!!!!!   My son, of couse genetically close to me)  same problem...same relied with Lorazapam.  He also has full anxiety attacks, but I do not.

It took me years to find the combo of meds for me . .
and just like a diabetic needs insulin, the brain chemical deficiency for anxiety/depression may need to be addressed lifelong.  Just do it!!!

Search for "air hunger" on Google and you will find literally thousands of people all with almost identical symptoms to this.

I got so frustrated that I recently set up airhunger.co.uk
You are welcome to come along, read about my experiences and post on the forums.

Best,
Neil
I've had this problem for about thirty years.  I feel like I can breathe ok, just that sometimes that I can't take a deep breath- as if I'm not getting my entire lungs filled.  Like you can't feel satisfied unless you fill that last 20% of your lungs.  So during the day you'll see me taking a deep breath loudly.  Often the only way to take a deep breath is to yawn.  When I'm laying down I have to stick my arms out in a weird way and twist my body in order to yawn and get a good deep breath.  

I've been studying my reactions to this and how it comes and goes.  Now, I'm not a doctor and don't know if you're experiencing the same thing I am or whether you might have an actual condition, I'm just giving my opinion on what I think it is.  I've read a lot of posts of people thinking that they have asthma, etc.

The thing that hits me about what happens to me is this:  I get it more when I think about it.  Ask yourself, Do you sometimes find yourself so busy doing something that this stuff goes away?  And does it get worse once you think about it and take that first deep breath?  That seems to me a sure sign that it's more mental than physical.  

I think it IS cause but stress.  Not major stress, just the stress that comes from everyday living.  So of course people will say that it lessens when they smoke (tension reliever) or take Xanax.  Keep a close eye on this and see if it 'goes away' when your busy doing something but comes back when you think about it.  Then stop worrying so much that you have lung cancer or asthsma.  Of course, I'm doing this stupid breathing thing right now.  Thinking that I'm pretty sure it's not something physical doesn't make it go away.  But I hope if you're like me you will stop worrying a little.
well, my theory is that it is caused by imbalances in our hormonal system. If we have an imbalance, it causes our adrenal glands to go haywire trying to fix the problem, and that excess adrenaline can cause our breathlessness. When we are startled and have an adrenaline surge, we have that breathlessness for a minute, right? Imagine if we had a constant flow of excess adrenaline in our bodies? Adrenaline that is tyring to help us "fight" our illness or imbalance?

Personally, after a couple of years of the above-mentioned constant yawning, and intermitant episodes for years prior to that, my yawning problem was resolved when I was finally diagnosed and treated for hypothyroidism. For my daughter, it was type 1 diabetes.

I noticed a few women say it was worse around their menstrual period - again, a time of the month when we have imbalances.

All of the pollution we breathe, and pesticides and estrogen in our food has to cause some sort of imbalances in our bodies.

For all of the doctors who tell us it's stress, here are your anti-anxiety meds, I think they are partially right. It is caused from stress - the physical and biological stress inside our bodies as we try to adapt to toxic living conditions and hormonal imbalances.
I've had this same problem. I think everyone has actually! Try not to worry about it too much. I've found that when you don't think about it, it isn't important. Really, our breathing feels shallow, but it's all we need! The shallow breaths are ok. If your body NEEDS a deep breath or a yawn, it'll let you do it ;-). I hope that is helpful for you.
This should be an official illness, like, chronic fatigue syndrome got a name, why can't our condition get one?  Everyone thinks I'm crazy too....It's not really fair, but if it's anxiety, maybe I AM crazy and don't even know it  
If it's anxiety, it must really be buried deep inside of me, because I'm not a nervious/anxious person in general and certainly don't feel that way in most any situation.  When this developed in the past year, there haven't been any sort of trigger events that I can pinpoint that would have caused me to suddenly suffer from anxiety.  I suppose I could take some of the meds to see if it works, but I just don't buy the anxiety explanation.

I agree that there should be some sort of diagnosis for this though.
As for horomone explanations, considering I'm a male, that explanation certainly isn't helpful for me.  Are most of the people in this forum female?
I'm a male. looking at the previous post I'd say it's about 50-50 male -female.

another thing, to many people have this unknown illness for it to be anxiety.  

Jeez, even diet pepsi max made a commercial about people yawning all the time.  this illness is in the sinuses, I'm almost sure of it.
Please consider the possibility of hiatal hernia with vagus nerve involvement for the excessive yawning. Both HH and vagus nerve can impact the diaphragm and/or breathing negatively. HH is also implicated in reflux...silent or otherwise which is why Nexium et al can give some relief.  It also explains why many say symptoms are worse after eating or that they also experience hiccoups and belching. Apparently there is also a HH allergies/sinus relationship as well. Google "A Missing link to chronic illness, allergies and longevity? Vagus Nerve Imbalance/Hiatal Hernia Syndrome".

Have been experiencing the yawning thing and an overexcited vagus nerve for a couple of months. Have had a jillion tests as well. Suggested to my doc that it might be hiatal hernia and he said it was very possible and ordered up a CT Scan which I am scheduled to have in a couple of days.
Another possibility linked to this is to see a chiropractor who is also an applied kinesiologist who can check to see if you have a subluxated atlas bone which needs to be adjusted ...this too can affect vagus nerve and breathing negatively if it is out of whack.

Hope this helps.
I am intrigued by your post - I too think this may be related to HH and the vegus nerve.  I have recently been diagnosed with GERD and HH with stricture.  Had the stricture stretched and am now working on using prevacid to help with the GERD (silent = no heartburn) and healing of the scarring.  I am only on 5th day of 45mg.  Not sure it is working yet......or when it will be at it's full effectiveness.  What brought me here is not being able to take a deep breath and the feeling of needing to yawn.  I of course was given xanax as my PCP thought it was anxiety. However the xanax doesn't make the breathing better and now that I have had all the tests done : chest CT (no pulminary embolism), CT of neck (thyroid), stress test and heart ultrasound, barium swallow, endoscopy, and blood........I think it is realted to the GERD/HH/Vegus nerve.  GI docs want me to keep taking the PPI for a while to see if it helps the breathing and yawning issue - say it could be related but no definitive.  So I guess that leaves me confused and frustrated .........this breathing/yawning thing is a daily issue and now a concern.  Any thoughts or places to look for good info..
Hi.
I´m so glad I found a specialist here.  I saw your post on a difficulty breathing forum.  I´m very interested in that not breathing with your stomach but with your chest thing, for it´s the thing I´ve read that I think it´s the closest to what I feel.  I feel that in order to breath deeply I can´t do it.  My neck and upper chest and back strain with so much effort and tension.  I have to help myself with my arms and grab hold of any surface in order to be able to take a deep breath.  I feel this is not normal.  It´s been like this for about three months.  I had the nissen fundoplication 2 months ago, for I had a hiatal hernia and reflux problems.  I don´t know if I still have reflux, for I don´t always feel heartburn.  What can I do to overcome these breathing difficulties if my problem is I´ve been wrongly breathing with my chest?  Any help would be great.  Thanks.
John.
I have noticed that this problem is exacerbated by humidity.  Has anybody else noticed this?  Does anybody know what that indicates?
I am not sure who posted here about relief from this .....I think they may have been pregnant......anyways I am glad to say I have found relief - FINALLY!!

For me it is for sure related to my GERD/HH/Stricture/Vegus Nerve! I have had all the official endo. tests to confirm the above and after a recent stretching of stricture I was put on PPI - prevacid.  At first I was taking too much (60mg perscribed) gave me bad stomach pain, but then reduced per dr. to 45mg and this is working for me.

I have read posts about those receiving relief from different avenues but it is so exciting to finally make a break through for myself.  I, like another poster, have been on the (45mg)  PPI for only a week but the improvement is already noticeable and I am hopeful it will continue to get better and better.  I am grateful to this community for the info. and support.

I also will admit I was very, very sceptical of the PPI's in general and still have concerns about the withdraw factors if I take that route - - - but my quality of life is turning for the better and I am thrilled.  My doc told me some patients don't know how bad they feel until they begin to feel better and I hate to admit this but he was so right - this is exactly how I describe my situation.

So at this time I still have the "can't take a deep breath need to yawn" sensation BUT it has been reduced by almost 40% already.  I think another key component for me will to be to stick to good healthy eating habits and exercise to lose my extra pounds.

Thanks so much for the hope!!
WOW.  You don't even know how happy I am today (even blowing off some work) to find this thread and to realize that I'm not some looney who's been thinking he's near death the last 5 years.

It started back in college (I'm 26 now) when I had my first acid reflux attack.  I've had exercise induced asthma since I was in high school and I was playing hockey and baseball every day, so I never thought twice about it.  After the attack, I had the EKG and all these tests and was put on Prilosec (before it was OTC) and that was that.  A couple of years later, stopped it, and felt pretty fine.

But then I noticed that as my partying increased (aka heavy drinking), I started getting panic attacks and noticed I could never breathe and was always catching my breath.  My atheltic activity also came to a halt and I've put on some weight (maybe 30 pounds over).  So I stopped all of that and now here I am, constantly trying to catch my breath.  Maybe it's some anxiety (Lexapro), but I'm noticing that even normal day to day anxiety (driving a car) sometimes can get to me.  It sounds dumb, but smoking helps (in the grand scheme, I know it doesn't), but it forces me to breathe and get it back.

The yawning is horrible and I've done the sleep studies and have a deviated septum, but the X-Rays and stoiciometer comes back fine.  I might get a CPAP machine, but I want to find out the root cause of the problem.  I would just like to feel normal again and not feel like a flake all day.  I got a very good job and I love everything about it, and sometimes it's just so up and down with this feeling of something in my chest.  

I'm going to look at the Nexium as some next steps unless someone can suggest something better.  Drinking always helps (as you just forget about it), but I'm not ready to live my life like that at all.

There's just seems to be SO many factors that affect it, but there has to be ONE central thing that does it.  Is it I just forget to breath (or don't do it well enough)?  Is it the acid reflux haunting me again?  Or just plain anxiety?
I am suffering from the same thing....it just started a few days ago but I cannot breathe...it feels almost like I am suffocating...or cant breathe thru my nose or something..Only every once in a while I can get that refreshing deep breath and I try to yawn ALL the time to get it,....it is very frustrating and worrying...I have been wondering if I am having a blood clot in lungs or maybe even a sign of heart condition or having a heart attack.I am a 23 year old female..just had a baby 10 weeks ago...I had a bunch of problems during pregnancy with heart palps and chest pain and had many EKGs and echo and been to ENT and neurologist..had MRI and CT of head from constantly feeling lightheaded etc..had lung function tests done in ER..so much blood work I am surprised I have any left...tested for rhuemtoid diseases...lupus etc..thyroid is fine...everthing negative....but this yawning breathing thing is new and just starting...so now I am like great I had all these tests and now this is just starting? I have been diagonsed with Postural Orthostatic Tachyardia Syndrome...POTS....so if you are having other symptoms such as everyday dizziness, muscle pain, SOB, heart palps, chest pain, headaches, sweating, anxiety attacks esp. upon standing too long and ANY other symptoms in the world you might have this too...it is rare and most docs dont even know what it is...it is a malfunction in the autonomic nervous system..but I just want you all to know that I too constantly feel the need to breathe deep to feel like I am getting enough air and then I cant which stresses me out even more...its a cycle...its worse when I am sitting doing nothing, after smoking, or trying to go to sleep. It happens out of no where tho. I do have excess mucous in my throat right now and always feeling the need to clear throat or like there is a lump in there and it is really hot and humid here...maybe it is related? Please if anyone has any advice please let me know...
I have this same problem - feel like I can't get a good satisfying breath.  Somethimes I yawn, but mainly I just take deep breaths/sighs all day.  I get filled up and get about 1 second relief, then the feeling starts all over again.  I know it's not my lungs - my lung function test over 100%.  Also, I walk about 3 miles everyday and never feel like i'm not getting enough air.  I just always have the 'sensation' that I need to take a deep breath.  I am 40, normal weight, and fit.

The people who have mentioned hormones...I notice my breathing is at it's worst right before my period.  Maybe hormones is a factor for some people (and maybe you gentlemen have hormone issues as well...Just because you don't menstrate doesn't mean you can't have hormone fluctuations.)
Hey all. I have had this before, in my 20's (now 39), and have been without it for about 10 years and it has come back. For me it is absolutely related to anxiety disorder. I was having severe shaking and anxiety a year ago and went to see a shrink and psychologist (both are necessary). I was put on paxil and that did the trick for me as far as my anxiety. I have just weaned off of it completely (with doctor's help) and had some extremely stressful things in my life occur recently which sent me back into full swing of anxiety. And lo and behold, the yawning all the time came back after being gone for years.
I have been able to keep it at bay when using some of the tools for anxiety I learned from my psychologist, especially deep breathing exercises. These exercises of deep breathing that were mentioned above by the massage therapist, are the most immediate way to force your body into a physical state of peacefulness that will calm your mind. BREATHING FROM DEEP IN YOUR STOMACH, SLOWLY. This is what has really helped me. I believe that in many cases this need to constantly yawn is attributed to anxiety and stress where people get hung up breathing in the top of their chest. and the cycle of worry seems unbreakable. Please take time to learn deep breathing techniques for anxiety and see if you have any improvement. Even if it doesn't solve the yawning, taking moments out of your day to do deep breathing will lower your anxiety and stress and help you to cope with it.
Hi People
I suffered from this problem few years back for a week and recently for few days. In my case it is directly related to stress and over exercise in which i take in lot of oxygen and it seems that my llungs get depleted of oxygen.
I have done following and has worked well, the problem is gone

i) I have visited a doctor who has checked everything in dteail. There is nothing wrong. This has made me mentally satisfied.
ii) I have taken few days off from my exercise routine which is used to do daily.
iii) I have stopped thinking about the problem.
iv) I have strated breathing through nose rather than through mouth
v) I have started spending time with friends and family instead of sitting infront of TV and tjhinking about the problem.
Believe me the problem has gone in less than 2 days.

Best of luck to all

Wajid
I hope not to offend anyone with this post.  I want you all to keeo an open mind about this.  I have had a host of anxiety related symptoms, starting when a friend of mine died in a rather brutal manner.  Anxiety can occur at any age.  I am a school teacher, and I have witnessed children suffer from panic attacks.  It is not just from a traumatic experience.  Some people are just "tightly wound" individuals.  Anxiety can occur when you're relaxing peacefully on a beach, seemingly having not a care in the world.  It is all a matter of how you perceive things.  It alal boils down to the flight/fight resronse.  The inability of being able to "yawn, take in a deep breath, etc." is related to anxiety.  First, go to a doctor.  If you receive a clean bill of health, I would suggest a second opinion if it calms your mind, but then be satisfied with it.  You will spend your life looking for medical explanaitons and will most likely never find one.  It is anxiety.  I have been a doctor after doctor, shrink after shrink.  If you do not believe me, try a test.  Take a xanax and see if your symptoms lessen.  They most likely will.  Xanax relaxes a person, mentally and physically.  The mind is a very powerful thing.  You believe what you want to believe.  And the symptoms can feel very, very real.  But what allows the symptoms to liv on within is the credence you are paying to them.  I am reading your posts, sympathizing with you, as I experience similar "attacks."  I am here to try and share with you some things I have learned.  First, there is an amazing book I have read that explains how to end anxiety.  It is quite pricey, but if you contact me, I can email you a copy.  Second, some things a therapist told me....

You are hyper-internalizing.  What this means is you are focusing too much on what's going on internally; inside of you.  There is help through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which will allow you focus on what's going on int he world around you, or externally.  Ever hear the expression, "the greatest fear is fear itself?"  That's  most likely what you are doing to yourselves.  You are getting so worked up over these symptoms, that you are theoretically making them worse.  The book explains that if you can come to grips with these symptoms being panic attacks, then you can overcome them.  I want to share with you a sample from the book.

1) Recognize: Understand that the symptoms you are having are merely that; symptoms.  They can not hurt you.  They are thought like any other.
2) Observe: Observe the symptoms you are having.  Do not try and stop them.  Rather, run with them.  Accept that you are in control.
3) Demand: Demand more of the symptoms.  It sounds nuts, but it works.  When you ask for more, you are looking fear straight in the face and saying, "this is all you have?  Ha!"
4) Trust: Trust that your body wants to protect you.  Anxiety is your body's reaciton fo a perceived threat.

There is so much more.  I am not making this up.  I have been researching this for years, and also find that when I am distracted, pop a xanax, or talk to my therapist, I feel much better.  A common fear is that our bodies are going to betray us, and that they are going to hinder our breathing.  You need to realize that the more you nit-pick these feelings, the worse they will become.  Now, I am expecting about a million "you're wrong!  There's something physically wrong!" responses to this.  But not every doctor you visit is wrong.  You don't want to believe that there is something in your mind that is causing these symptoms.  But perhaps if you began to open your eyes to a new prespective...that this MAY just be anxiety (after a full physical exam from a doctor, of course)...you may just start to feel better.  I can only go on what works for me.  "But I've had this since I was a kid!"  Like I said, I see kids suffer from anxiety.  It does not only attack adults.  I hope this helps.  Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.  Oh, and on a side note...a therapist told me this.

Me: I'm scared that I won't be able to breathe.
Therapist: (points to back of neck, where head meets the spine) See this?  This right here controls your breathing.  So even if the rest of your brain were gone, you'd still be breathing.  
Me: But it feels like my breathing is on manual.
Therapist: Breathing is an inborn response.  If we had to remind ourselve sto breathe, we would have been dead years ago.  We're just not smart enough to remember.  That's why you can't hold your breath and kill yourself; eventually your body forces you to breathe.

All I can say is this; I have been going to doctors across that state for 7 years now.  I always get the same answer; anxiety.  You don't have to believe me, but you should believe your doctor.  And when you wonder why an anxiety attack "lasts 4 days, so it must be something physical," you should think again.  Anxiety will last your whole like if you let it.  You are feeding into the fear of "something must REALLY be wrong with me."  If numerous doctors say you're okay, you most likely are.  Anxiety is a very real disorder, and instead of seeking medical problems that may not exist physically, you should be treating a mental one.  If you have any questions or want the book, let me know.  

***@****

Best wishes.

Sorry for typos.
I would really like this book. I have been suffering from this problem for nearly a decade. I agree that it's anxiety. There is no simple pill or treatment for it. :(

***@****
test

I used to have the same symptoms, could not take a deep breath, yawning all the time, coughing.
First time my doctor thought it was asthma, then I was prescribed anti-hestamine for the coughing, eventually after having some acid reflux problem I was given omeprazole and that helped partly.
The fact is that I might have a Hiatus hernia (need to test) but after doing some extensive research, these symptoms are due and worsen by over breathing (hyper-ventilating) or bad breathing pattern.
Please I want to stop you here, you might think "but I am sure that I don't over breath, since I have these symptoms at any time." please continue reading.

This was a discovery made by Doctor Buteyko (also known as the buteyko method) over 50 years ago.
The theoretical foundation for this idea - hyperventilation causes a depletion of carbon dioxide; low levels of carbon dioxide in the organism cause blood vessels to spasm and also cause oxygen starvation of the tissues.
This results in a whole range of "defence mechanisms" that have been previously misunderstood and labelled as diseases.
It is really easy over time to adapt from a normal 3-6 Litres of air per minute to a 9-15 litres, over time the brain accept it as the defaut level. The problem is that it is like running an engine over 3 cylender with really little oil, the more you breath the less satisfied you will be and the more your brain will adjust to this level.

Think about it, you can live without eating for 30 days or drinking for 3 days but you cannot live for more than 3 minutes without air. Breathing is the key, and specifically relearn to breath less!!!
Don't believe me ? Just try this experiment to see if you over breath and that level of Co2 is incorrectly adjusted.
Just relax for a minute and after a breath in (2 second) and breath out (3second), pinch your nose and hold your breath, count the number of second without a real need to breath again, if it is less than 25 second than you are over breathing, 40 or more is recommended.

Please give it a try to the Buteyko excercice (once you have been checked by your doctor and that nothing seems to be wrong), just google it "buteyko", this method has helped asthma sufferer in the east for 2 decades, and is barely known in the west. This over breathing is not only can not only trigger asthma for also other chronic conditions like sleep apnea/fatigue/asthma/air hunger/panic attack etc...

I have tried the last week and my condition has improved a lot, over few weeks you should definitivly see an improvement.

http://members.westnet.com.au/pkolb/buteyko.htm#intro
http://members.westnet.com.au/pkolb/but_strt.htm

wow, it's insane how many people suffer these symptoms and yet doctors cannot find a cure for it.  I too have seen my doctor and had breathing test, ekg's, bloodwork, etc. done.  My doctor told me i had asthma and prescribed me Advair.  I took it for a few weeks and after it didn't relieve my symptoms, gave up on it (because i really didn't think it was asthma because i had NO other asthmatic symptoms).
I definitely notice it gets worse when i am thinking about it.  But one time that i know it gets the worst when i am not thinking about it is after i eat.  I'm sure it has to do with my stomach being full and my lungs not having as much room..
I don't have any suggestions, just one more real life person who suffers the same symptoms and wishes someone could help her.  I may try Nexium.
God bless - prayers and luck to you all.
Hi,im a 22 year old male and i've been dealing with this constant shortness of breath for over 6-7 years now..I see so . It just started outta the blue I went to take a deep breath and i couldnt get that last bit of hair to satisfy the breath and this whole vicious cycle started. After that for about 2 years i was constantly taking deep breaths and not able to get a satisfied breath. I WAS CONSTANTLY YAWNING>SIGNING AND TAKIN UNSATISFIED DEEP BREATH ALL DAY LONG. I had reached the point when i was staying home in my bed just hoping i would die so it would stop.  After 2 years or so it seemed to just go away. It then came back right after i smoked a cigarette . Ever since then its been an ongoing struggle. I feel as if i have no control of my life, and im constantly thinking of my breathing. I feel hopeless and feel as if no one understands what im going through or that i have this disease that doctors cant detect. My doctor has put me on xanax for anxiety and it seemed to cut the edge off a lil but its still there. Its not as bad as when i first got it but it still disrupts my life and im at a stand still. I .I've gone to cardiologist, ent's, gi's, pulmonary doctors. I've gone through xrays, PFT, EKG, stress tests, endoscopy . Only thing i have is GERD/LPR with sinsation of lump in throat and a very small irregular heart beat. I also am constantly clearing my throat.I heard that can be because of the Gerd/LPR. I just took a new PFT test and my breathing is normal. i did have a deviated septum but got that fixed..My lung specialist says its just all in my head and that i have this because ive become aware of my breathing pattern. i've used advair, singular and breathing pumps for asthma with no results. when im sitting or laying down its seems to be fine but when i stand up or move it kicks in more. I'm losing hope on what's going on with me. ive heard it can either be chronic hyperventilation syndrom (syndrome) or vocal cord dysfuction? please help
Yeah I have had the same thing except now i cant even yawn to get a good breath! The doc gave me an inhaler and it   didnt work    so she gave me a nebulizer machine, (i haven't even used it yet.) I am only 10 and the doctor pulled my grandma out of the room and was talking to her and saying that I might have anxiety, and I don't even feel like it. I have been having  weird dreams and having to go to the bathroom frequently. Now I am going have to go to a  counselor if the nebulizer won't help! My grandma  wouldn't tell me what the doctor said so my grandpa did. So she doesn't think I know yet. HELP
i have suffered from this since i was in the 7th. grade and i am so
tried of it. at one point i had what i call an attack because i kept
yawning and yawning that i felt my chest was going to explode. my
doctor yelled at me after doing some test and told me i was having an attack. he told me to put my head between my legs and press my chest
hard against my legs until i felt that i did not need to yawn anymore. it was a way of getting my nerves under control. it worked for 2 years and
now when i feel it coming i do the same exsecise. make sure you go to see your doctor anyway.
After my last post, i thought a lot about what some of the other people said about it being mental and also about making sure you breath with your belly instead of your chest.  
During the couple of hours or so that i was online researching this, I really could not get a good breath at all.  Afterwards, as i thought about what people said, i decided i would try to not think about it and to try to concentrate on breathing with my belly.  I noticed that the problem significantly subsided.  
I'm not saying it is all mental, but the mental aspect of it had a huge effect on my symptoms.  When i wasn't thinking about it, I barely noticed it.  When it did start bothering me, I would focus on taking a deep breath making sure my stomach was moving in and out way more than my chest was.  This actually REALLY worked for me.  I think that i hardly ever noticed that i was trying to breath my enlarging my chest instead of my stomach because as a weight-consciuos woman, I have trained myself to suck my stomach in - without ever consciously doing it!  Being able to make myself take a deep breath when i wanted it by doing this greatly reduced my anxiety about not being able to breath, thus further reducing the problem.
I know FOR ME this problem has been largely mental and I think brought on by anxiety that maybe i'm unaware of then exasperated by anxiety over not being able to breath and thinking something is wrong with me... and thus the vicious cycle continues.

I just wanted to share this because it is helping me deal with the symptoms.  Thank you so much to those of you who posted about making sure to take deep breaths by enlarging your stomach rather than your chest.  I probably never would've thought of that on my own.
WOW!  I too thought I was the only one.  All this information about CO2 and blood PH got me thinking; probably over-thinking but here is a thought.  I drink a lot of seltzer water which is carbonated with CO2.  I just read that "For every can of carbonated soda ingested, the amount of oxygen in the blood is decreased by 25% for up to three hours.  If you are drinking several sodas per day, you are depriving yourself for a significant amount of oxygen."  Not sure if it's true but wondering if it's a contributing factor.  I also do low-carb which has been show to affect blood PH levels.  Again, I'm wondering if this could be contributing to the problem.

How many of us drink lots of carbonated beverages?  How many are low-carbers?
I have been crying since I started reading this thread.  I have been suffering from these symptoms on and off for 25 years.  My first episodes started shortly after I was released from the hospital after suffering an allergic reaction to an IVP which left me in anaphalic shock and in intensive care for a week.  I was 25 y/o and when the symptoms first appeared, I had every test in the book and was diagnosed with anxiety.  I went to different doctors who prescribed different anti-anxiety drugs, none of which helped.  I finally settled into a mixed cocktail of imipramine and buspar.  I remained on these drugs which kept me in a basic stupor until I got pregnant with my son.  My OB told me to stop taking them and the symptoms did not come back.  I decided that the breathing problem was a result of anxiety brought on by post traumatic stress (from the anaphalic shock).  Eleven years later I had another baby and split up with my husband when that baby was 9 months old.  All of the breathing symptoms came back and I found myself gasping for air every minute of every day again.  My doctor put me on paxil.  After a year on paxil the breathing problem seemed to go away.  I weaned myself off of the paxil.  My second child is now 7.  Four months ago I lost my job and I have been basically doing nothing but sitting on the couch watching TV (money was not stressing me out - my financial circumstances are good, thank goodness).  Some weeks ago someone hooked me up with an interview for a job and it looks like I may be going back to work.  All of a sudden the breathing torture came back full force.  I am so depressed from it and I don't want to go back on any drugs.  I don't really think that the drugs did anything at all.  I think that when I see that I can handle a life changing event without being overwhelmed, eventually I am able to breathe normally again.  I do not believe that this phenomena is physical in origin.  For all of you that have some other physical condition ex. acid reflux, overactive thyroid,etc. - I think that these conditions themselves cause great anxiety for some people, which in turn manifests in breathing disorders.  I do not believe that these conditions cause breathing difficulties.  I did not have any of these conditions when all of this started all those years ago.  Right now, I am being slammed full force with all of these breathing anxiety symptoms and just seeing how many other people have this has given me slight relief.  When I first had these symptoms 25 years ago, none of the doctors that I had seen had ever heard of anything like this.  I thought I had some rare condition that was caused by the anaphalic shock.

For what it's worth, I also think that somehow we have become conscious of a bodily function that is automated and the more we analyze it, the more we think it is not working properly.  I sometimes think about swallowing too much, and I find myself unable to swallow after swallowing 10 times in a row.  I start to panic and am finally able to swallow and then I forget about it.  I can't seem to do this with the breathing.  I am going to try to avoid drugs this time and pray that I can get through this without them.  Sometimes I feel that I will actually lose my mind.
i had this for 5 in a half months went to 3 doctors one said muscle spasms cause i had back pain with it other two said anxeity well i went to a chiropractor and said that i had pinched nerves he took x-rays and found my spine was disaligned and my neck was 3 degrees off i saw it for myself he said those symtoms (symptoms) can come from no where he told me did the doctors look at you like you where crazy which they do well i feel great i went to 25 sessions of threapy and it feels like its bearly there i can actually feel it going away sounds weird but i hope this will help some of you if you have back pain with this go see a chiropractor you will be surprised how much better you feel during this threapy you might think oh its not working just keep going it will but it just dont happen overnite write back if this helps anyone wish everyone the best GOD BLESS
I had this very same problem.  For no apparent reason I had these bouts of not being able to take a deep breath.  My troubles with breathing went from occasional, to... constant.  My answer for why this was happening came when I saw a chiropractor.  I knew that back muscles are an issue when experiencing some types of breathing problems, so, long story short... I went to a chiropractor for a consult and was told that certain spots, if misaligned, may result in trouble breathing.  There is actually an area, if misaligned, that will cause breathing problems during exercise that may present symptoms similar to exercise induced asthma.   I had nothing to lose, so I started with treatment.  An X-ray, and weekly (x3 to start with) "adjustments".  Within 2 adjustments I had noticed I could breath "normally".  No kidding.  

I had visited forums like this one a TON of times, trying to figure out WHY I couldn't take a deep breath.  It was so unnerving to me.  It had me antsy and frustrated... I just started my treatments/(adjustments) a couple of weeks ago and I'm so relieved that I'm touring the boards I sought help on to spread the word about how I found an answer to my problem.  Maybe it can help others.  I had visited my physician about this problem a couple of times, but never once was this angle approached.  

Anyway, I hope this helps someone.  

About me - I'm a mid 30's female.  Pretty healthy.  Normal height and weight for my age.  Active... no health problems, really...
I have had many problems similar to these listed above.  I am a 26 year old female, diagnosed with asthma as a child and no subsequent breathing problems until 6 months ago.  Back around October I began having tightness in my chest along with the feeling of needing to take a very deep breath.  Then, when attempting to take a deep breath I did not (or only with very forced muscular effort) get a true satisfying deep breath.  Same thing with yawning, I do not feel like I am able to get a full satisfying yawn.  I have most difficulty with breathing during eating, I believe because it is difficult for me to hold my breath while chewing/swallowing and I"ve always had sinus congestion so breathing through my nose is difficult.  I also have trouble when walking and now whenever I attempt to exercise.

Overall, my symptoms have not lessened despite treatment over the past 6 months.

I have had tons of tests done...MRI of the brain, Chest CT with and without iv contrast, multiple chest xrays, pulmonary function tests, oxygen saturation, etc.  Everything has been 100% ok, including when my doctor listens to my lungs in the office.  Everything else is fine too, ie blood pressure, thyroid, etc.  Also, I am very physically fit, prior to this happening in October, I was able to go to the gym 3+ times per week, go running, do stairmaster, play tennis, etc with absolutely no aggravation or breathing difficulty.  My pulmonologist has been treating me for asthma since this October, I have been on and off prednozine several times, and daily I take singulair, advair 500/50, and qvar.  I also use an albuteral inhaler 2 or 3 times per day as I feel I need it, although I find it rarely provides me relief (sometimes if I take 3 puffs).  I do not feel that any of these other medications seem to alleviate my symptoms.  Because of the unbelievably sudden onset of my symptoms, the fact that I was unbelievably fit and able to handle strenuous activity before this, and since I do not seem to respond to any of my asthma medications, I have extreme difficulty believing that this is asthma.  Also I have been told maybe it is GERD...I took nexium for 5 weeks and am now trying prilosec, and again none of these have lessened my symptoms.  

I have recently read about vocal cord dysfunction but cannot find that much information about it.  Has anyone been diagnosed with this or know more about the symptoms?  OR perhaps it could be something a chiropracter could help with?  I suppose it is possible I may have damaged something while exercising, however, I do not have any pain anywhere.
I am so glad I found this site!  9 months ago I was having major issues with not being able to yawn and having all these issues you are all talking about.  I mean, I went from an hour on the treadmill to could not even last 5 minutes.  I went to the doctor and found out I was pregnant.  I had an echo of my heart, chest x-rays, blood work and all the things the rest of you have had done.  They found nothing wrong and said maybe it was hyperventilation syndrome.  I did not believe that.  Anyway, it ended up going away on its own.  Well, March 5th our baby boy was born and all those symptoms are back again.  I am wondering if it is hormonal for some of us.  I am going to try acupuncture.  I don't know what else to do except go public with this issue and find a doctor that knows what to do or who is willing to figure it out!  
I am expierencing most of all the same symptoms and also have had the litany of testing done, ekg, asthma, stress, sleep study, chest xray, allergies, CT scan.  This has been about 10 months for me now.  

I am 28 years old, male, in good shape (ran 3 miles tonight) and have only a deviated septum to speak of.  It is great to see I am not the only one, but wish I could help others.

About every 3-5 minutes I need a quick deep breath and then exhale harshly.  My chest in the middle is constantly "tight" to the point I don't want my wife to lay her arm on my chest if we are laying together.  The most frustrating part about this is that I am constantly tired, want to nap and feel as though I am running at about 80%.  This goes against everything in my nature and previous M.O.  

My symptoms seem to be cyclical in nature, and worse as well when I eat sometimes and I too have excessive belching occasionally.  I too hold my stomach in but am trying not too.  And some days are worse than others but mostly I am tired consistently and have the chest tightness/breating issue.  I have not looked into any anxiety disorders other than the common suggestions on this board.  

I will let post again if I find something of value, but wanted to share as reading so many of your issues has at least made me realize I am not the only one.  Misery loves company I suppose.  But even as I sit here feeling better, I have done my quick harsh inhale/exhale about 9 times in about 15 minutes.

Best of luck, please continue sending any viable/related diagnosis and suggestions.

Sincerely,
Brian in Indy

I'm very glad I found this discussion! I've had these symptoms off and on now for some 10 years or so. I'm a mid-50s female currently in decent physical shape. I'm doing Bikram yoga 2-4 times a week, gardening, bike riding, etc. For me, this first started when allergies kicked back up in my early 40s. I have been taking Claritin-D 24 for ages, but recently stopped because my husband's doctor told him taking the "D" meds every day was not a good idea. After about 2 weeks or not taking it anymore, the symptoms started up again.
Hello everyone!

I am a 26 year old female, and have had this problem for 10 years now. It started with the need to yawn and catch a deep breath. Within weeks, a cough developed with it. Most recently I have noticed a problem swallowing. They all seem to go hand in hand. All symptoms are worse at night, while eating and while exercising. I've had many tests done, and have been diagnosed with asthma, even though I don't believe I have it. No asthma medication has worked, even some like Albuterol have made it worse. I don't believe it's anxiety related, but when it happens, anxiety sure does make it worse! I usually sigh and yawn successfully all day long, but during my peak times, or the occasional random episode, that's when I can't control it. Can't catch my breath and can't get a good yawn. This is not a mental problem. It is physically caused, but made worse mentally.

I just wanted to let everyone here know that I am grateful that I found this site, and know that I am not the only one. There's no question about whether it's "all in my head", which is what I've heard from countless doctors.
I think I may have an answer.  I too have had the same symptoms as most of you.  I'm a healthy 25 year old male who two weeks back was playing basketball for 2.5 hours straight regularly with no breathing prolems at all.  About 2 weeks ago, out of nowhere sitting at my desk, I just began not being able to get a full breath and had to yawn many times to do so.  This has lasted for the past three weks or so where i could not get a full breath.  I went for all the tests (heart, chest x-ray, pulmonologist,etc).  Everything was okay.  I was stumped went down every road and could not figure it out. I originally dismissed the possibility of acid refulx/GERD because I had no signs of it any nothing was coming up on me.  However, I started noticing, like many of you while I was eating and after it seemed to be worse, and some belching a few times a day.  I started taking the Prilosec two days ago and it has been substantially helping.  Also, stress and anxiety along with certain foods can cause this.  I am going to continue to take the Prilosec but I am pretty certain a combination of stress (continuous researching and worying about it) along with the GERD is the problem.  Also I went back to all of the previous posts since 2007 not only on this forum, but others where people expressed the same exact symptoms and have found in 95% of the cases people indirectly mentioned a symptom of GERD as a cause (i.e. they didnt know why after caffeine,alcohol, eating foods made it worse, etc.) however never thought that was the problem.  Like I mentioned I never even thought it could be that but I am pretty sure thats what it is.  I will continue to take the Prilosec and watch what and how much I eat and try to relax and see how I feel.  I just wanted to share this as it has definitely helped me so far for the past couple of days.  I think this may be the problem as well for many of you and when i went back to read posts over that I had previously read it all started making sense to me.  Please try this and post any of your results here if it did in fact help.  Good luck to all

Also, more belching than usual can be a sign and I read somewhere that people with asthma are more succeptible to GERD.  I also, have asthma and have taken all of the asthma medicines, inhalers,etc which had not helped.  I am pretty convinced that it is the acid reflux.
I might have a solution of some. I have had this problem off an on, and to everyone, I am incredibly thankful knowing I am not alone, though I wish noone else would have to go through this...iIt is so utterly annoying not being abe to yawn, and then breathe...Good news is what has helped me is taking a Mucinex D right when I start feeling the heaviness and diffuculty breathing,  and then when I need to yawn and cannot, I keep trying and lightly tap my vein on the right side of my neck, Lightly being the operative word!! I pray this can hel[p someone out there! And I pray that we will all be healed from this ailment. Happy future to all :-)
Has anybody researched the possibility of a sulfite sensitivity? I'm 99% positive my yawning problem is caused by food... I just don't know WHAT I'm eating that's causing the problem. My top hypothesis was acid reflux, but this morning I ate 4 dried apricots, not nearly enough food to cause an acid reflux reaction I would think, but sure enough the yawning started up a few minutes later. I did a little research online and found that sulfur dioxide (the preservative in dried fruits and lots of other packaged foods) can cause shortness of breath and swelling in the throat and is more common in people with asthma than non-asthmatics. Has anyone looked into this possibility?

I've been taking Prilosec for a week now and I haven't noticed even the slightest improvement, but I'll keep trying that, since if acid reflux is the problem it could take a few weeks to work. Now I'm also going to try to cut out sulfites and see if that helps at all. I'll post again in a week or so to let everyone know how my trial goes.
I can't believe I found this site! Like all of you, I have been to the ER, have had many tests, and still can't nail down why I need to yawn & strain to catch a "good" breath! I'm at my wit's end. Asthma meds make the situation worse. I am now on Prednisone, which is making my life miserable, and it helps me breathe just a little better. Literally, I am up & down all night long, doing relaxation breathing, trying to catch a good one before falling exhausted to sleep. I don't sleep much, either. However, and maybe this is true of some of you, I seem to wake up breathing normally befofre the cycle starts all over again.

I, too, have developed a dry cough and irritation around my throat/bronchial area.

Here's what I think happened to me: A couple of weeks ago, I was spraying my son's shower with bleach. My airways became very irritated. Shortly thereafter, this developed. I think that now it is psychological. I am probably hyperventilating, which is a cyclical thing. At first, I was responding to the irritant, but now have become aware of my breathing and am very anxious. My blood oxygen is 98-99%, so I'm not really starving for air.

If you Google "Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome", there is a lot of stuff written about this.

I am going to the Dr. today; I hope he can give me some tranquilizers so I can get a good sleep! This is a very scary thing.

Good luck, everybody.
wow i am so happy to see that i am not the only one. I use to smoke for about 6 years so i thought it had something to do with that but i also went to the er and they told my it was just panic attacks witch i do have but i knw what they are and thats not it. they even gave me some adivan and that chilled me the hell out but i was calm as hell from it prolly the calmest i ever have ben but i still couldnt breath in deep enough or yawn enough times.
Hello everyone,

Its overwhelming to read all these posts that describe this same ailment that i have been suffering fwith on and off or for years. I too have the sensation of not being able to get a full and satisfying breath, feels like im breathing through a straw whilean elephant is sat on my chest. It really is the scariest sensation there is and means i am aware of evety single brea i take from the moment i wake up til the second i manag to fall asleep which isnt healthy at all.

Symptoms that accompany my sensation of laboured breathing are:
1.) an occasional lump sensation in my throat, like a golf ball is stuck just below my adams apple
2.) a dry cough
3.) constant yawning even when i have had adequate sleep
4.) lots of mucus especially at the back of my nose that is really sticky and thick in the mornings but more watery in the day
5.) tender chest to touch just below my throat

All these combined things make me deeply depressed and constantly anxious. I am close to tears throughout the whole day and very often cannot control bouts of hysterical crying due to the anxiety bing caused by this unpleasant condition.
I ended up in A n E one night as the feeling became so bad and i beganhaving hour long panic attacks but all they did was tell me i wasin fine health and prescribed me Valium which made me slightly calmer but didnt NOTHING for the other symptons

Its interesting to see how many other people suffer from this and hw noone has discovered a solid cure for it or even a common condition that causes it. For me i think the initial breathlessness is caused by anxiety but then the awarness and overbreaing causes a inflammation in my airways whih further enhances the sensation of feeling every breath.This then may trigger asthma or GERD or other ailments that can be stress related. It IS a vicious cycle and it 100% gets worse when i dwell on it or begin to think that i will die or have it forever.

Im going to the Asthma clinic tommorow for my yearly check up so will talk to them about my condtion. will post my progress

we can beat this..........a combination of mind over matter and accurate medication mis the way forward.
I wish everyone on this forum all the best  - believe me i know how awful this feeling is and i sympathise with you all and wish i had the answer that could relieve you al from this nightmare condition.
lets all keep posting our findings -anyone with sucsess stories please post to give others some hope :)

Emily xxxxx
I am 30 and have alot of these symptoms. I am doing little mini yawns in my mouth even as i type this. (it is first thing in the morning)

I don't know about you but I do not sleep well. It has been going on for about 8 years. The last 2 years my memory has also taken a plunge for the worse. Sometimes I can't remember what high school i went too, what i did 5 mins ago, that i just told somebody something a few mins ago and tell it again...etc..

I have been on prevacid for about 8 years also.
I am a 39 year old female. I have the same symptoms everyone has listed.  This started when I was about 35, I had been running and when I stopped I felt as if I couldn't catch my breath.  That began the whole cycle.  The whole "yawning/feeling like I couldn't get a deep enough breath" lasted about 3 months.  Had all the tests done and all came back normal.  It seems to hit me about once every year and half or so.  Usually lasts around three months.  The last time started after playing some vigorous tennis.  I am in great physical shape, former college basketball player, don't smoke (although I did smoke for about 10 years when I was younger), no signs of reflux, am on a low dose of thyroid medication.  I DO NOT think this is caused by stress although I do think stress makes it worse and the stress of worrying about getting enough air makes it worse.  Some of the most stressful times of my life (divorce, parents illness) I have NOT had the problem.  I personally think in my case, because it starts with intense exercise that gets me out of breath, it has something to do with my oxygen sensor being thrown off kilter in some way.  Not a very scientific way to put it but that's what I think anyway.  Good to know I'm not the only one suffering with this.  At times I have thought it must be all in my head but I know that it's not.
I think one thing that is going to prove to be important is to get tested WHILE YOU'RE SYMPTOMATIC. This is the type of problem that, if you're not having an attack, you're perfectly fine. I'm going to my ENT in a couple hours and at the moment I'm having symptoms, so this is the first time I actually don't want them to go away!

The only problem is, I still haven't figured out what is causing my attacks. I still think it might be food related, but I've been on Prilosec for 3 weeks now and there hasn't been any improvement, so it doesn't look like it's GERD. Maybe an allergy, but I have an epinephrine inhaler and that doesn't help either.

I'll post again later today to let you know if my ENT gives me a new diagnosis.
Well my ENT did a laryngoscope while I was symptomatic and he still didn't see anything abnormal going on in my throat. (I'd still recommend getting tested while symptomatic though in case there is something physical going on in there). He's upping my dose of Prilosec, sending me for a barium swallow and then doing allergy testing (even though I don't think it's allergies). Hopefully something will work.
I recently started to feel the very same symptoms described above. I am otherwise a healthy individual with a training and exercise routine. About a week ago I began to experience a progressive shortness of breath. The first 2 days were awful, however it has been decreasing after that. I noticed that when I ate certain foods, I would suddenly feel better, which led me to do some research into the mineral or vitamin deficiencies. A very interesting article suggested that magnesium is responsible for shortness of breath along with other symptoms like trouble sleeping, anxiety, nervous tics etc. It is important that you read about magnesium deficiency as diagnosis could be lying in this. For example you may go to the doctor complaining about shortness of breath and the doctor may tell you that you suffer from anxiety and prescribe anxiety medication. However the underlying cause may purely be magnesium deficiency.
It would be interesting if you guys try this, not in the form of vitamin supplements but rather by consuming magnesium rich foods. Also note that consumption of too much calcium can inhibit magnesium absorption. Anyhow I would like to see some progress in this so begin consuming magnesium and follow up with results so we can track this

i have this problem.  Some days its worse than others.  Mine is a symptom of b12 deficiency.
I have also been having the same problem for the past three days. It's not the first time that it has happened and I think only those of us who have experience this can really understand what it feels like. It's not asthma. It's really a great need to take a deep breath, but can't do it without yawning. And the yawning can take some time to accomplish and you kind start to pacnic a bit when the yawning it's not coming.
When I am having problem yawning, I have to stand up and maybe even stick my head out the window to get fresh air and finally I am able to yawn.

I don't know why this happens but I am here to tell you what I did last night that helped. I used a nasal spray. The kind you use to relieve a stuffy nose. And it helped. Today I have been having the same feeling of wanting to take a deep breath. The only difference is that I was able to do it without having to yawn. What a great relief.

I don't normally like to use nasal sprays. I only spray last night and I have been good for the past 20 hours.

I wonder if this problem is caused by problem in our nasal passage????
Thank God I am not the only one who suffers from this, I thought I was actually going crazy. about 2 weeks ago, this started, like I wasn't able to fill my lungs with a deep satisfied breath, then I would try to yawn just to get a good breath.  The more this happens during the day, the more anxious I become. Yesterday, I tried not to think of it too much, and it did seem better. This morning I got up and it was the first thing I thought of when I got out of bed. I agree when I am really occupied or distracted I don't notice it as much, but when I have a lot of time I my hands, I am monitoring my breathing all the time. I get up every day and wonder is this gonna be the day this problem goes away. I am not taking any medication at all.
HAD THIS PROBLEM SINCE IM 15 AM56 NOW AND STILL HAVE IT.... WENT AWAY 4AWHILE NOW ITS BEEN BACK SINCE 1998..... GOING OUT OF MY MIND NO ONE UNDERSTANDS......THE FEELING IS HORRIBLE.....ITS ALWAYS ON MY MIND.......WHEN I WAS 15 JUST HAD TO YAWN LIKE NORMAL THAN COULDNT STOP..STARTED A VICIOUS CYCLE.......I GIVE UP NEED RELIEF....:(
Hello guys - I posted on here over a year ago (this thread has been going for years!) ;)

Nearly everyone here is describing what is being termed as airhunger (you can just search for "airhunger" on google and you will find loads of info.

I've been really interested to read what speech_therapistchrista said, as I just posted this today, and it's along the exact same lines.

http://airhunger.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1040&sid=998919ae5f541ad4aa88412a68bf591e

Fascinating stuff! As many others have said, I do this, but didn't know anyone else did.

What I do when it happens is this: when I start to yawn, and get to the point where no more air is coming in, I pause there with the half-a-breath still in, instead of immediately breathing out and starting over. After four or five seconds in that state, I often find that I can breathe in "again", completing the yawn. A huge relief.

As we say in the software industry, this is a workaround, not a fix; but it works for me! Good luck to everybody.
I have had this constant since February. Went to the ER 2/8 had nothing wrong with me, just told to see a cardiologist cause my BP was 190/165 !! I weighed 376 lbs and loaded with about 50 lbs of water (edema)....I went to the heart doctor, had the stress test, ecco, and other tests and my heart was actually fine, just a tad enlarged due to the BP, then went for lung function tests, all were fine there also.
Went to my family doctor and he suggested a sleep study because I have OSA and stop breathing many times during the night....mind you I was out of work for three weeks , was sure I ahd some simple problem and a "pill" would take care of it and I would be fine.
I was also told I might have anxiety and should get my xanax persciption filled by the ER doctor. SO.....I beleived that was what it was, took the xanax and busparone and coped, I wished I was dead, it was sever, all the while I just knoew something was wrong....
I was a happy, well adjusted little fat guy, anxiety ? no way.....aware of my breathing ? possible, but something just didnt click.

I went online and read about gerd/Hiatal hernia and realized that I had all of these symptoms, and this started the week of the superbowl after I ate like a pig and drank copious amounts of coke and pepsi, sleeping right after I ate, manybe oly 4 hours then going to work, coming home and doing it again......

Had an endoscopy done, found out I had gastritis, swollen esophogus and a hiatal hernia, Had sleep study done, sever, SEVER OSA which causes "air hunger" if left untreated.......so.......
Since then, It is now 6/28. I have lost 91 lbs, am not on any meds for BP as it is 120/78 constantly, diuretic removed all the water, I dont drink soda/caffeine, I stay away from salt, I go to a chiropractor who found severe subluxations inregards to what controls my breathing...I take walks every day, I am a terrible eater, no meat chicken or fish at all, although now I eat tremendous amounts of veggies, whole grains, vegan stuff, etc.....
I have added a liquid multi vitamin to my diet, B12 daily, Magnesuim Vitamin "C" and Iron supplement, and probiotics to my diet.....I have to say that two months ago I was trying to figure out how to kill myself, now my breathing is 60% better, I still think about it constantly but I usually only skip five or ten a day and when I have the urge to yawn, I just yawn and feel satisfied....this problem can be beat......The mind is indeed a powerful thing and if it was "all in the mind" that same mind can make this go away also......

I also am awaiting results from a full thyroid workup as Hypothyroidism can indeed cause trouble getting that deep breath, its a fact, documented fact, and I have about ten other symptoms of that also...so yet another hurdle I will cross jump and leave behind....I refuse to live like this, my life was too good before this and now its going to be even better
Thats my story,
Anyone want to give me advice or ask questions, please fell free...
Oh, and get rest, drink water and think positive
Regards,
Geoffrey
I also have had this problem for the last 10 years or so.  When it started I was freaking out thinking it was lung cancer or something.  But after being tested for everything possible my doc told me it was most likely due to my anxiety (which I was diagnosed with a year prior to).  And for those of you who mentioned that it was less noticeable when you were busy or consumed in something...that's because you make it worse by thinking about it.  This alone can be a sign of anxiety and you don't have to feel stressed about anything to have anxiety.   I have full blown panic attacks when everything in my life was perfect and had no panic attacks when everything was a crazy mess!  Hope this helps in some way, maybe try deep breathing and muscle relaxation to help.
I'm SO glad to have found this forum.  I'm 20 yrs old, and I started having this problem at the end of second semester in college- end of April/early May.  At first I thought it was stress, so I tried all the breathing techniques and everything, but it didn't quite go away (I thought it was stress because I had a lot due and very little time to do it in).  I went to class one day and couldn't sit through it because I got so lightheaded so I went to the doctor.  She prescribed me Albuterol and said that it was probably due to allergies because of all the tree pollen, and she saw some post-nasal drip.

Satisfied, I went home, took the inhaler as directed- and in about a week, it mostly cleared up.  However, now it's back... and it came back two weeks ago as well.  I don't know what it is.  It's not nearly as bad this time, but every now and then, I'll feel lightheaded.  I'll also get a yawn caught in my throat and have to exhale then try to yawn all over again.

This problem has gotten so bad that my lungs and diaphragm begin to get sore because I overuse the muscles when trying to breathe.  I haven't seen a doctor since April, but I'm beginning to think I need to.  If it was allergies, it shouldn't be coming back.  In addition, I am a candidate for stress and anxiety, so I'm thinking that could be a huge factor in it- like most people, whenever I'm busy with something else or exercising, I don't notice it at all.  In fact, I really enjoy exercising now because I feel like my breaths are much deeper and cleaner- it makes me feel great.  But, within about 10 minutes after exercising, the problem starts up again.

I just don't get why mine keeps coming and going- it's really frustrating, like others, I think it's embarrassing to be yawning all the time.  I would love to hear if someone finally gets a diagnosis on the issue.
It could be food sensitives causing subtle changes with the nervous system, causing the breathing pattern to alter slightly, and causing the feeling and needing to yawn.

I sometimes get this feeling and it seems that it is due to my breathing pattern, which I know sometimes changes due to food sensitives.  For me, this yawning issue is a side-effect of that.  To fix it, I eat foods that I am not sensitive to, and try to put myself back into a habit of breathing "normally".

I recommend that anybody having this issue to try for a couple minutes to just breath normally.  Focus on it, since if not you might go into a habit of taking short breaths.  Do not focus on trying to yawn during this time, but just on taking normal deep breaths.  I think that getting oneself back into such a habit it was essentially solves the problem.

I also think that the underlying root can be caused by food sensitivities.

Please note, I am not a doctor and I am just saying what seems to have worked for me in the past.  If you feel that it is something different for you, please feel free to ignore this advice
Wow, it's a relief to know there are other people out there with the same problem.  This started for me about 4 years ago when I was 25, and it started during the winter.  I actually remember the exact moment it began when I tried to yawn and couldn't get a breath.  I thought it would go away after a few days but it did not.  I remember it went away the first summer, then it came back.  The same thing happened the next year but for the last few years it has always been a problem.  Some days are better than others, and the symptoms that accompany it seem to vary and come and go over time.  Other symptoms have been chest pain (which was in the beginning and I have not experienced for some time), exhaustion, sleep problems, the feeling that I need to cough (though I never cough anything up), and an increased/irregular heart rate, which is the most disturbing.

I am not the type of person to go to the doctor unless I truly feel like I am going to die (which is to say I have not been to the doctor in my entire adult life), but lately I have been considering it, because I truly feel like this may eventually, and maybe not too long from now, lead to a serious heart condition.  I have always been active, have quit smoking, and have tried changing my diet in different ways to fix it on my own but nothing seems to work.  Even as I type this I am trying to yawn and get a deep breath, but I never seem to be able to get what my body wants/needs.  Anyway, it's good to find other people with the same problem, and I will keep coming back here to see what people are finding out.
I want to share my story with people in the hopes that it'll help someone. The inability to take a deep breath or yawn came about for me after a week of extreme anxiety. I immediately went to the doctor and had an EKG, a PFT, a chest X-ray, numerous blood tests -- all perfectly normal. They chalked it up to anxiety, but surely anxiety can't last 24/7.

After a couple weeks, I also started feeling bloated and found my heart racing after eating a big meal. This only brought on even MORE anxiety about heart issues, even though every doctor I consulted told me that wasn't the case.

That's when I turned to more natural cures. I tried a multivitamin, fish oil, a magnesium supplement (though it's rare, lack of magnesium can cause the inability to take a deep breath), and a "green drink." Nothing really helped.

The only thing that made this problem go away was when I realized, finally, that I WASN'T BREATHING CORRECTLY.

Somehow I had gotten into the habit of trying to take deep breaths through my chest -- I was continuously attempting to sigh  heavily and get air in that way. This is not the correct way to breathe, and after days of doing this it can make you sore, bloated, and unable to yawn. I had to consciously breathe through my nose and out my mouth for an entire day, forcing myself NOT to sigh or lift my shoulders or puff out my chest, and eventually my breathing returned to normal. I can now yawn and get those deep sighs in when I need to. My body repaired itself.

The doctors keep telling us "it's anxiety," but that doesn't make much sense when you hear it. Anxiety can actually make you forget how to breathe, and the breathing problem brings on MORE anxiety, and it's a very viscious circle. I had no idea it was even possible to forget how to breathe, but apparently it is.

Avoid sighing for an entire day and see what happens. Remember, you don't NEED to get air in that way, because if you did you'd be dead already. Hopefully this will work for someone else!
I am so relieved to have found this thread! I have been suffering from this deep breathing issue as well and I'm driving my fiance insane by fixating on it so much!  I am 28 and was diagnosed with anxiety about 6 years ago shortly after I got divorced and am currently taking a very small dose of Ativan.  I had some very severe illness about a year and a half ago that was never diagnosed as I didn't have insurance and my fiance's job had been eliminated so we didn't have any money to go to the doctor.  I had an immense amount of congestion both in sinuses and lungs.  Within a day or so of beginning an all natural treatment I felt a ton better and within a week I was 100%.  The entire life of the illness was probably three weeks, seemingly because I didn't think about a natural fix sooner.  

But ever since then I have had a very intermittent breathing issues.  Luckily I don't experience this agony all day, or even every day... maybe every three or four days for anywhere from 10 seconds to 45 minutes.  

About three months ago I experience my first true anxiety attack.  I work A LOT  and usually eat dinner around 9PM, also, I was diagnosed with gastridis when I was 14 and have had problems with that off and on ever since.  This yawning issue does tend to get worse when I'm eating at night, usually halfway through the meal, sometimes when I get up to rinse my plate. These issues make me think it might be acid reflux

I smoked for a period of two and a half years but am now a non-smoker again.  Last I knew I had what my doctor called "mild asthma" and don't really notice very many other asthma-like issues very often. Also about four years ago I had a sports injury that left most of my right calf bruised pretty badly... these issues really concern me.  I start to worry that it's the recipe for a pulmonary embolism.  Then when I can't get a good breath in I start imagining my dying from a pulmonary embolism... ridiculous I know but these are the things the mind does.

Also I am vegetarian (which has seemed to help my gastridis issues immensely) and have had previous issues with iron deficiency.  

I'm hoping this breathing issue is in relation to any/all of these because maybe then I can't stop fixating on it!  I plan to see a doctor as soon as I can open up my schedule for it.

Any thoughts?  
Hello everyone, I have this symptom sometimes too! What I have found, is my asthma/pollen allergy medicine called Budesonide helps. It is a steroid similar to cortisol, the stress hormone. It gives me dry mouth, but is also very helpful for SOB+yawning and even seems to somehow help my heart rate.

I also have mild acid reflux, which might be related to this too. I have recently started taking calcium carbonate for. Not very helpful, so I might try proton pump inhibitors soon.
I am 35 years old and have been experiencing the problems you all have mentioned for the last few years on and off.  I have the sensation of not being able to get a full breath in and consequently feel the constant need to yawn, but do so "unproductively."  The more I think about it the worse it gets and it just happens out of the blue for no apparent reason.  Often times, I don't even realize I am stressed.  I had a full-blown panic attack a couple of years ago while driving and my now husband rushed me to the emergency room b/c I couldn't breath.  My arms and legs went numb, my hands clenched themselves and turned blue, my face turned white, and I nearly passed out.  I remember before that happened complaining that I was unable to get a full breath and blamed it on the high altitude where I live.  Anyway, the docs found nothing wrong and said it was a panic attack.  I also saw another doc who did all sorts of lung and heart tests and found nothing wrong.  I've taken Zoloft and Paxil in the past but they just numbed me and weren't getting to the root of the problem.  I too have heard that counseling, yoga, and breathing exercises can help but some of those cost a lot of money, so I've taken it upon myself to just "deal."  Clearly, that doesn't cut it.  Severe anxiety is extremely debilitating and has prevented me from making friends, making decisions, focusing, choosing a career, and finding a purpose in life.  I also have short term memory problems and suffer from excessive sweating, blushing, and insomnia.  I know now that all of these symptoms equate to severe anxiety.  It is a very real problem that has very real physical consequences and can prevent a person from functioning day to day.  The problem is, what do you do about it?  I know exercising has enabled me to clear my head a bit but sometimes the breathing prevents me from doing that well too!  Help!  One last thing...I am a breastfeeding mom and anxiety has killed my milk supply W/ both babies.  The mind is a very powerful thing.  We can be our own worst enemy without knowing it.  
I experience the same thing.  I'm not sure what causes it, but I have found something that helps me.  This article/link explains how to take deep breaths.  You all probably know this by now, but it might help.  Thanks.

http://www.anxietycoach.com/breath1.htm
Wow- and all this time I thought I was the only one with this weird problem, I have had this all the time but it has definitely gotten worse over the last couple of years
I used to have this problem all the time, except for the headache part of it.  It happened in a period of my life that I was lifting weights and running alot.  I was constantly working out.  I do not have this problem anymore, since getting fat and out of shape.  I'm sorry to report this, but it seemed to be related to my high level of fitness at the time.
I agree, Working out too much is what got me into this horrible situation. Doing so much cardio and lifting  heavy forces to breath from your chest. once you get into that vicious cycle, the only way out is to stop working out. An option I refuse to even look at. You learn how to adapt. Best of luck to all of us.
I too have problems with what I call chronic yawning. Its not a everyday thing, but when it starts it lasts for a couple of days. I use to think it was lack of sleep, or not taking in enough oxygen; Its like I can't full fill the yawn, sometimes I will just sit there with my mouth wide open just waiting for the yawn to happen, and usually after a couple of tries I'll get enough of a yawn out to manage then it will set back in after only minutes sometimes seconds. It doesn't really feel like a yawn its more just taking larges breathes. Eventually I end up getting a headache and making my mouth and jaws really sore.  I have no trouble breathing, and I am in good health; I do however have trouble sleeping sometimes, its like I lay there and I'm trying to sleep but my mind won't shut down enough to sleep. I'm completely aware of everything that is going on around me. So naturally, I tend to blame it on lack of sleep, but I only do that occasionally and the yawning problem happens more frequently...
Hello Ladies,

I was surprised to find this post, because me too I have had this SOB problem for years.

In my case, it can be caused by several things:
- chemical, detergent, perfumes smells
- nitrites in food (so no ham or hot dog for me)
- no reason, though I now suspect that it's internal fatigue in my body that causes the SOB when I do nothing

I tried many things, chiropractor, acupunctur, GERD medication, anti-anxiety medication, Advair and other asthma medication, to no avail. The ONLY medication that helps are corticosteroids, but this is a poison, I once gained 30 lbs with a 2 weeks burst of steroids. Take it only as a last resort.

BUT in my opinion, the problem is hormone related. Namely thyroid and adrenal glands. I now know that I have hypothyroidism and am finally being treated for that. This is a very slow process, but after increasing my Armour Thyroid dosage, I started to have very good days last July with no SOB. Still far from being out of the woods because now Armour Thyroid cannot be found anymore, big shortage in the country, but I finally was prescribed a similar medication and hopefully we'll keep increasing my dose. We'll see if that really helps.
Adrenal glands: my lab results are not perfect and I am currently looking for a doctor that will help me with that.
i am only 14 and have the same "need to yawn" and cant take a complete breath. I lay awake at nigh trying to figure out if its certain positions or if its just over all. I have had symptoms since 1st grade. my mom only said something to a doctor this past year and i now have an inhaler but it barly helps or only helps for a few hours. its as if my lungs only want me y breath ever few minutes because every 5th breath or so has been normal. Just adding my story.
Hi all,
OK, good news. I have been on prevacid since I posted my last comment. I found buried in this forum where "pregnant and breathless" mentioned that this seemed to help her even though she didn't think she was having a reflux. I knew I was having some reflux, but never, never thought it could affect me that way since they didn't “feel” connected. Anyway, I am feeling 95% better… no more gasping for air every other minute. Once in a while I will but, OHHH, I can actually live with myself again!
Give it a try for at least a couple weeks. I'm on prevacid, but p&g on Nexium. Not sure it matters which you try.

Good luck!
terri
so happy i found this thread. im so tired of living like this.... really want natural cure....
I have had this problem for a long time and mine appears to be related to asthma and muscles strained in my back-shoulders.  
In the last year I have improved a lot.  Since January 1st I have placed a heating pad on my chest 3 to 5 times a day when I have some time to sit still, at least 1/2 hour and up to 1.5 hours.   I turn the heat pad on about 7 to 10 minutes with it 3 or 4 feet away from me before appling it to my chest, and turn it off when it is applied.  When I have felt short of breath and have applied it to my chest it may take 10 or 15 minutes to start to catch my breath.  Applying ice to soar muscles in my back/shoulders helps also.  Works for me.
I too have the same problem- shortness of breath and need to yawn constantly and a flemmy feeling in my chest- it does drive you crazy.
I notice when I stear clear of milk and milk products it seems to help and if I have milk- it makes it worse.
Does anyone else find this
Have anyone thought about getting your thyroid tested? I did reaearch about your thyroid when it's not properly working. You will have alot of these symptoms go to your dr. and get tested.
i too have the problem of not being able to get a deep enough breath or having to make myself yawn to get a breath, which is really hard and annoying.  it is nice to see that i am not the only one suffering, but that still does not give me answers.  it started about 5 years ago for me, when I was 21.  i go through spells that come every 4-6 months and last about two weeks.  But this one I am having has lasted about 7 weeks so far.   I am also pregnant and it has happened before when I was pregnant.  I have been told it was all in my head and was stress, which its not.  i only feel stressed when i sruggle to breath.  It is worse when I am active, lying down or have eatin.  I have also been told its allergies and been treated but it did nothing.  Been to the endocrinologist (thyroid function), wasnt that, and the cardiologist(everything was fine).  I am at my witts end.  I have two kids and one on the way and when I have a spell can hardly function.  I have been searching for answers???
Hi everyone,
I too experience the same symptoms that everyone speaks of... the "difficulty getting a propper breath in" its become debilitating for me at times having to leave work early because I feel as thought I can no breathe. The dr also did many tests... he found in my blood test a bacteria called HELICO PYLORI. The dr prescribed NEXIUM too with a combination of antibiotics... i was on an intense treatment of 8 tablets a day for 7 days. It actually worked... my breathing issues stopped... but then as soon as the treatment was over now 2 weeks later I am feeling all the same symptoms again. I get a really sore back and neck ( where my atery is) Ive been to the dr twice and he has suggested that it could be anxiety... I feel within me that its something else although anxiety does kick in when i feel as thought i cant get the propper breath in. Anyhow the dr duggestes i take NEXIUM for 2 months straught... I am yet to start the treatment.

will keep you all posted!!

kind regards!!
also seee:

http://www.gesa.org.au/pdf/H_Pylori_2nd_03.pdf
I too have all the symptoms..short of breath, struggling to get a "real" breath" panicking bc i cant get a breath...the crazy yawning thing...i have it all....and of course---everyone thinks I am CRAZY..This started when i was 17 and comes and goes...unfortunately it is really bad right now, which is why i am looking it up-once again...gahhh.. I'm about to show this website to ppl, relief to know I'm not the only one--- hopefully we can all find a cure--- I am in dental school and am prescribed xanax for my anxiety (which they keep telling me this is) but i cannot take it all the time bc it makes me tired and forget stuff...i can't be loopy trying to study and working on patients. Any more suggestions for me keep them coming please!
I am only 15 years old and I started to feel the exact same symptoms recently. My mom thinks it's because I'm overdoing myself in water polo...but I don't think that makes sense. I need the feel to yawn because every time I breathe, I don't get enough air. So I end up sighing again and again. But then after awhile, before I realize it, I'm back to normal.

PLEASE IF ANYONE KNOWS THE SOLUTION, NO EVEN JUST THE REASON BEHIND THIS, SPEAK UP!
I have been researching why I have been feeling like I have to yawn so much and also feel short of breath. It feels like a panic attack, but I'm not panicking until I just can't seem to feel like I can catch my breath. Here is a link to something I found that has alot of different answers. I am hypothyroid, and I believe that is what is causing it for me.
http://www.ehow.com/about_5591772_causes-shortness-breath-constant-yawning_.html
I hope this helps some of you here!
Interesting, I just posted before I found this .. and here I find a whole list of people with the same issue as me.
It's either a yawn or a deep, upper chest breath for me... I'm doing this hard breath through the mouth every few minutes..  (my coworkers nearby say they can hear me do it!) I think it stemmed from having bronchitis in October, when I actually couldn't breathe that well and I had to use an inhaler. That breathing difficulty triggered my first experience with panic attacks.. I would start shaking and be short of breath. Well, I finally got better from the bronchitis, but I still feel like my nerves are shot and I'm doing this breathing thing. Even though I'm not necessarily "panicking", I do feel that the breathing problem is anxiety related, because I know how it started. I had a full blown panic attack in the car with my husband (I think because I had nothing to do but sit there and focus on my trouble breathing) so he took me to the ER. They found nothing wrong and thought it was a panic attack. My regular doctor did pulmonary tests and an echo, found nothing.
So here I am at my desk, feeling relatively calm, but still doing the breathing thing. At this point I think it's a bad habit formed from a previous period of high anxiety. The question is how to break this bad habit? When I focus on it and trying not to do it, it seems like I overbreathe, make myself dizzy or just make it worse in general. UGH. I'm actually considering trying a hypnotist! Has anyone tried that?

I've been dealing with this for the last 3 weeks or so. It's so incredibly frustrating.

I'm from New Zealand, I can offer some tips that seem to make things easier, but I still have the problem.

Breathe through your nose, force yourself to. Mouth breathing is really bad for you, as the air is not filtered and warmed.

Keep yourself busy, and try not to think about it, and if possible, try not to go for the yawn when you feel like you will get it.

Hi, i´ve had this since i was 10, now i´m 19. I´ve been researching about this for months and nothing... there are a lot of articles about anxiety, and panic disorders, acid reflux, heart diseases, etc.

My sister has the same exact problem, and it wasn´t until i found this forum that i first got a clue, someone saying air hunger, so i started looking at medical pages and stuff, AND I THINK I´VE FOUND THE PROBLEM (OR DISEASE OR WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT)

This is the link to the article.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/807277-overview
Make sure you read the overview, the differential diagnosis and treatment.

When i was reading this i broke into a cry the problem is called HYPERVENTILATION SYNDROME. As i was reading throught i almost broke into a cry, now at least i think i know what my problem is called, tomorrow, i´ll try to talk to a doctor about it to start treatment.

AT LEAST NOW I KNOW HOW TO NAME IT. I hope you all feel a little bit relieved with the article.

And remember, the name is HYPERVENTILATION SYNDROME
I too have suffered from this constant need to yawn in order to "catch my breath" or get a deep breath.  It began when I was very little and when my parents took me to the doctor they tested me for asthma - but they concluded that asthma was not the cause.  I remember them telling my parents to keep an eye on me for heart palpitations (?) but i dont remember if he said why.

Anyways, my problem WENT AWAY for several years! Every once in a while it would come back, but for the most part i was cured.  

However, last year i was put on birth control pills and my yawning/ shortness of breath issue came back. (I dont think thats a coincidence!)  I also began experiencing SEVERE tightness in my chest, and my vision was also blurry.  I lost my appetite and everyone around me told me i was crazy. I am an extremely layed back person, I am the last person that you would think has an anxiety issue.  

I did not know what to do when my symptoms began again, so i went to the doctor who said everything is fine.  I had blood tests done and they did find that i was slightly anemic, but i dont believe that is the cause.

I am a college student and the day that i finished my classes, my symptoms began to improve.  However, I'm back at school and they are starting again.  I'm so frustrated.

To sum this all up - i have done a lot of research on birth control causing anxiety and it seems to be very common (at least there are a ton of forums with women complaining of anxiety problems after going on the pill)  I really do believe all of these symptoms are somehow related to "stress".

I am wondering if the majority of people on here are women? Or if there are any men experiencing this.  And also, if any women with this problem are also on the pill?

Thanks and good luck to everyone, i know how upsetting this can be.
I also started suffering from this same thing two years ago. I'm 22, female, good health, good weight, exercise 3-4 times a week, non-smoker. I started two years ago with a weird feeling of needing to yawn constantly to alleviate a strange feeling in my chest, but I can't get that satiated feeling since I feel like no matter how much I yawn I just can't get enough air in to get rid of the weird sensation. If I DO manage to get the satisfying yawn, I feel fine for a few minutes before it starts again. It's annoying and drives me insane. I yawn so often to try to breathe. People have commented on how much I yawn. It goes away periodically and comes back with no real trigger. I have had my oxygen levels checked, scans of my lungs, evaluated for depression/anxiety, suggestions of GERD (and I took Prilosec), changed my exercise routine, been evaluated for asthma,  and nothing worked.

:( I dunno what to do, but like everyone else here I'm sure there's SOMETHING wrong with all of us collectively and freaking acid reflux/anxiety is not the answer.
I have the same problem and it comes and goes.  I believe it is an allergy.  I completely removed milk from my diet and didn't have the problem but when I put milk back in my diet and drank it consistently over a short period of time (2 weeks or so), it flared up. I'm still doing my own allergy testing with food products, but for the most part, this has been the culprit.  Other things that I'm testing include coffee, tea and tomato sauce (very acidic foods).  I have tried all of the proton pump inhibitors, etc. and do find temporary relief but the shortness of breath syndrome improves when I watch my dairy/milk intake. I'm not talking about lactose intolerance, I'm talking about allergy to casein which is in milk and dairy products.  If we are all perfectly healthy people with normal test results (I've been through all of the heart, lungs,etc. tests), than maybe we need to look into our diets. You would be surprised once you start doing your own investigative work how allergies can be the culprits for a lot of crazy and weird illnesses.  Hope this helps.  Peace
This yawning with difficulting getting a deep satisfying breath actually has a diagnosis. It is called Liver Qi Stagnation. It is so common in Chinese medicine that there are at least 5 different herbal formulas specifically for it. Some also take care of any GERD, headaches or Migraines, and a few other things.  You can google this diagnosis and read which formulas apply to you. This is very simple to treat. Good luck to you all. -Katie
New here, I have to say I am glad I am not alone..  I am 28 (male) and I can remember as far back as early teens I had this issue where I had the need to YAWN/BREATH DEEP and if I get it, I'm satisfied only for a moment... only to do it again and again..  Over the years I've devoloped odd (I guess you'd call them nervous ticks) to get the yawn to happen, tapping my side, tapping my tongue before I yawn just to get the yawn to come out right. Otherwise it feels weird and I gasp for air.  As of last week I had it develop in to something REALLY BAD.  I was eating and I thought I got chocked, I didn't..  Then I got nervous and thought I had swine flu or something.  I started coughing a few days later and it was like I forgot to breathe.  Gasping for air, I thought I was getting asthma or some other lung problem.  I started smoking a year ago, I have now quit (cold turkey, its ok.. threat of death will snap it out of you)  But I thought maybe I had COPD or collapsed lung or something.  I must have gotten a bit of a common cold at this time though, I feel like I have sinus drainage into my lungs and it makes me cough... that with the yawn breath thing makes me FREAK OUT.  I thought maybe it was panic attacks... or something like that but I read what you guys say and see "if my mind is on something else it isn't so bad" and it is TRUE!  

If anyone figures this out... let us know... this is crazy..
Yes I have had this condition severely for 10 years. It started one night and my head involuntarily kept arching back a few times from severe muscle strain stress. Suddenly i couldnt breathe right and found it impossible to yawn, as well as a bad permanent headache and neck discomfort and uncoordinated swallowing lump in throat, i had this for ten years and feel like it has destroyed my life.
Doctors dont know what it is and it doesnt fit any diagnostic checklist, i tried jogging till i was so fit i could do half marathons i tried yoga all the time nothing worked.fit as a fiddle and healthy as an athlete.
I  smoked marijuana just by serendipity (i felt it was lucky i did) and it helped incredibly amazingly, last month i yawned really really deeply and felt my whole neck and osophagal tract physically shudder and felt it responding like stretching and aligning back into place all at once, and now it feels a hell of a lot better but still i would say i have some way to go, but about 70% better. that was a month ago, i still smoke it and for some strange reason it helps my condition that doctors treated me like a nuisance to refer onto someone else,  but i know they were wrong because its something not discovered yet.
Hopefully all our posts will alert researchers about this condition. Its real and its been hell. i still yoga and jog it all helps but this has nothing like the effect marijuana has for me with this condition - i hope to smoke it until the symptoms become decreased to the point ill stop smoking it and can live without the incredible strain inside my neck tract and maybe it is central nervous system related - who knows? But it didnt kill me, so maybe its not dangerous just highly disruptive.
I can't begin to say what a relief it is to find others suffering from this yawning/signing I have had it of & on since I was 21 years old. It's caused through free floating anixiety you could be on top of the world them bang out of no where it happens. I have controlled twice now however I am suffering with it again The fear takes over the more frightened I become the worse it gets what I find helps me is when going to bed listen to a relaxation cd someone who talks you through how to relax and breath I suggest to Listen through ear plugs I have fallen into a deep sleep everytime because I become so relaxed I wish you all good luck and hope one day we will be free of this plight it uses so much negative energy
I know it's really difficult and wecsay ee don't think about it but actually it's taken over our lives taken that all important deep breath decides on whether we are going to have a good day or not...I can guarentee all of you are wound up like a cork screw clenching your teeth holding your body posture it's all because we are conscious of the inability to take that deep breath you know when o have been round someone without having this problem I have been jealous of their ability to take that deep breath and their is me acting like a gold fish trying to get that breath. I find the nights are worse for me as during the day you can focus your attention on something at night all you have is your mind and breath I am trying to be positive as sometimes someone is talking to me I am thinking in my head oh shut up can't you see I  trying to breath maybe humour is one solution!!!!!
I started out with this same problem and was diagnosed with GERD as well after a lot of complications with a lap-chole, and a severe bout of pancreatitus (pancreatitis) last year.  I had all of that healed and taken care of.  But I've had these issues since I was 25 (almost 28 now) and it still persists.  I also feel pain and tightness around my diaphram area when this happens.  Using an inhaler seems to help sometimes.  I was also diagnosed with multiple (and I mean A LOT) of lung nodules.  I know what you all mean when people around you notice it.  I have to explain to friends and my husband that I'm not sighing out of being bored or annoyed.  I'm doing it because I feel like I can't breathe.  I also had a doc tell me it was an anxiety attack.  I told him there was NO WAY it was, and he admitted me to the hospital right away under suspicion of an embolism.  Of course all they saw there were the nodules again.  I'm worried that one day my lungs will just fill up with them.  
Hello all, I am happy to see that I am not alone in this battle. However, it is sad that so many of us have to go through this. I get these "yawning" spells frequently. Usually they go away, but this time it is dragging on with me everyday! I can't take it! I take medicine for anxiety/panick attacks and medicine for acid reflux. In which I have been on both for 6 months. I had no problems then the other day the middle of my back started hurting and the next thing I know I was yawning to get a deap breath. I am constantly trying to fill my lungs, but my o2 stats are fine. I don't understand it. But I yawn so much it gives me a headache. I am wondering if this could be caused from a pinch nerve? What do you think? My sinus glands in the back of my head (neck area) are really sore and when I rub them it feels like there is a knot popping. When I do rub on them for awhile the breathing seems to get better. Could this even be caused from sinus's? We need a doctor to give us answers!! This is not fair that we have to live this way! :( By the way, I am from Missouri.
I have begun to suffer these exact symptoms for about 6wks now. I only saw a dr last wk. he gave me a salbutamol puffer. It hasn't worked at all. I cardio kickbox 4 times a wk and play volleyball, these symptoms are interferring with my life. I have another appointment on Friday, but I fear from there I'll be sent for Pulmonary Functions tests which will turn out, normal. I DO NOT have an anxiety disorder. I don't want to be told I do. If I truly thought that was the problem, I would do whatever it took to remedy it. I'm desperate to get back to my life. :(
I am from Alabama and for as long as i can remember i have had this "yawning" issue. I have panic and anxiety attacks so i always assumed this was the cause. Until today, i have just gotten over a sinus infection and cold and today started 'yawning' again. I dont have to yawn all the time from what i can pin point is that i only have this issue after i have had a sinus infection or cold. especially when the weather is changing from winter to spring and then again from fall to winter. I am calling to make an appointment with my dr tomorrow and once i am able to see her i will update everyone.
I also have the same symptoms (difficulty in taking a deep breath and unable to complete a yawn). I didn't realize there were so many of us experiencing the same problem. I've had this condition for several years. At first it would come and go, but now it's constantly present, though it varies in severity. Though it occurs throughout the course of every day, it's at its worst at night when I am trying to sleep. Like some of you, I also am taking medication for acid reflux. I've been through a variety of medical tests (EKG, MRI, CT scan, ECG, pulmonary capacity tests,...etc.); everything comes back as normal. Though I haven't read this entire thread, I've read enough to know that we appear to be out on an island, left on our own to figure out what's causing these problems. There may not be just one answer to the root cause of our problem, so I'm recommending that we try to compile some data (profile, medications, tests taken, hints for relieving symptoms) that might shed some light on this. This is not meant to undo the Fed and MedHelp privacy restrictions; just trying to make some sense as to why we're suffering from this problem, yet no one can seem to put their finger on why or what to do about it.
My input follows:
Profile: caucasian male. 62 yrs old, avg height and weight, don't smoke, light drinker, no known exposure to toxic environmental conditions, lift weights for exercise, eat healthy.
Medications: for acid reflux; for hypertension, antihistamine/decongestant for sinus and allergy, and misc vitamins
Med Tests: MRI, EKG, ECG, CT scan, Pulmonary capacity tests, nuclear stress test (all normal)
Suggestions: elevating head and chest when sleeping and lying on back (not sides) helps my breathing.
The antihistamine/decongestant opens my nasal passges, helping me to breathe much more effectively.
Hopefully sharing this information may help us find something on which we can focus and act toward achieving a needed resolution.
The Yog Pranayam (breathing exercises) will  help you relax and also help with the breathing difficulties.You will notice benefits in days.
Initially do kapalbhati and anulom vilom, and then when your breathing improves, do all the the pranayams in order, as described. Come back to report your progress, so others can benefit.
Build up your timing gradually. If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after 1 minute.

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose. Duration upto 5 minutes.
For 30 seconds, while doing bhastrika, also raise both your hands above your shoulders when breathing in and then bring your hands down quickly(like a weight lifting movement) when breathing out.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and hold your head steady. Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.
Age over 15 years -do this for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Age under 15 years -do this for 5 to 10  minutes twice a day.

Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Age over 15 years -Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Age under 15 years -Repeat this cycle for 5 to 10  minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 12  times

Once you are better, continue the pranayam once a day.
Be patient, as the benefits will show up gradually.Only by doing you will benefit
and feel good because you are helping your body.Those who say I have tried everything....
will be amazed at the result of doing pranayam.
Constant yawning...  I feel like I am struggling to get one satisfying breath.  It has been going on for years and I too have been to every dr and no one has an answer!  It is not STRESS! I know it is not!  It comes and goes, but lately it just comes a lot!  I am so frustrated.  The one positive thing is that we are all not crazy and it seems that no one is in real medical crisis.  I have notice the only time I can breathe is when I lie flat on my back.  Also, when I am trying to get a breath I need to concentrate fully..like right now I need to breath, but since I am typing no amount of breathing will get it out!  What is wrong with us?? Is it a muscular thing?? None of my symptoms fit with any of the medical issues people have named.  Any drs out there who want to study us??? PLEASE!!!!
Im 24 and ive had this problem for about a year now. this is the first time ever looking up this issue. im doing it as we speak. i feel like i cant get a satisfing breath in and i have to gulp in air around 15 a min. ive tried telling my mom but she wont listen. im currently on lexapro for depression but im NOT stressed. or mabye i am? im so confused and i really really need help! if you think you can help contact me at ***@****
Try the kapalbhati described in my post of March 06 , 2010 and you will be able to breathe normally in a few days.Do it now and let me know your progress.
Wow, I'm really happy to read all of these posts.  I am an alcoholic, now sober for 22 years. I first had the scary overyawing syndrome when I was sober for about a year.   I went to the doctor, as my mother has terrible asthma and allergies and thought maybe I was getting some adult onset problem.  The doctor after an examination said to me very loudly as if I has somehow become deaf and stupid that I needed to make an appointment with Psych.  I did not, for me just knowing that I wasn't in any physical danger relieved the symptoms right away.  I was definitely anxious at that time, but I don't neccessarily think this thing is caused by anxiety, but it surely causes anxiety.

For many of you, it seems the thought of it being "in your head," doesn't relieve anxiety, as this idea is associated with being crazy.  How is that supposed to make s feel better?  Just because something is mental, does not mean it is not physical.  Our brain is part of our body.  In fact our brain regulates every single aspect of or bodies' functions.  We are not 2 seperate entities- brain and body- its all one thing.  Everything affects everything else.  We know so little about the brain.  Reseach is trending in that direction, right now the best we have are anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds which are new, poorly reseached barely understood by the doctors who prescribe them and come with so many side effects that us regular folks are stymied.

I have had the yawning thing off and on for 21 years.  I'm having it right now, for the past week about.  I have been able to deal with the fears about it as I have been rigorously treating my innate anxiety due to my alcoholism for 20 years with daily writing practice and meditation.  Since I first went to the doctor and was told it wasn't physical, I have treated it by just trying to get my mind off it.  I looked online today because my 3 year old son started the yawnies a couple of weeks ago, and we have no healthcare at the moment- we should be re-instated in a couple of weeks.  My son has a very difficult time sleeping, and is difinately very energetic and highly intelligent.  He is sensitive to sugar and allergic to penecillin.  I always feel better on a low carb diet, and my symptoms increase with pregnancy.  I'm 4/5 wks pregnant now.

There are many things we all have in common, allergies, sensitivity, anxiety, intelligence and an ignorant medical system.  No one is to blame for not having answers, we just don't have them yet.  I strongly reccomend Transcendental Meditation, I have been practicing it for 20 years, and it has helped my in every conceivable way.  It is expensive to learn, but worth every penny.  Meditaion relaxes breathing, the pranayama breathing technique is taught with TM also.  Funny thing, due to my yawn thing, I can't stand pranayama, I never do it.  When I first learned TM, I would have an increased yawn thing whenever I would do a group meditation.  I had so much fear of bothering other meditators I would go loopy with it a bit.  

Another thing that I do every day is I take a written inventory of my fears.  Right now there is research being done at UCBerkeley about the connection with writing down fears and re-wiring the brain.  Like I said, I have the same symptoms that all of you describe, and due to a daily practice of anxiety reducing steps (no meds- only side effects have been increased happiness and efficacy), I am not very bothered by these symptoms even when they show up.

All the best to you all!
Thanks everyone for sharing your stories and possible remedies.  I too am having breathing problems so I wish us all the best of luck.

My feeling of "not being able to get enough breath" came shortly after a bike crash I had in August of 2009 (where the handlebars slammed against my chest).  My first thought was that it was because of a broken rib.   The doctors I've seen said they didn't see any breaks and even if there were that the ribs would just have to heal on their own.  It's been 6 months, and while I've never had any pain in that area, I'm still having trouble breathing.  

After having read this thread, I thought it might've been GERD-related so I tried 14 days of Prilosec to no avail.  My lung tests are fine, so the doctor gave me xanex which helps me stay calm but the shortness of breath continues.   Basically whenever I need a short quick breath (which happens quite a bit--whenever exercising, laughing, or even talking), I feel my lungs won't expand to let that last 10% of air in.

I think I have costochondritis (inflamation (inflammation) of cartilage @ ribs), but I've got other strange symptoms that might not fit costochondritis.  For example, when I do need that extra 10% of air, sometimes I can lean forward and sort of push my collarbones and torso "up and outwards" and I feel it creates enough space for my lungs somehow.  

Even stranger, sometimes when I've got an empty stomach, I'll really experience this "inability to get all the air I need."  Along with that, I feel as if my insides are "hanging lower than they should." Then, immediately after I have a square meal, I feel as if all my internal organs have been 'properly pushed up' (because of the food in my stomach taking up space.  So I can breathe properly at least until the food passes.  

I've tried looking at myself in the mirror when this happens and unf. nothing looks different on the outside.  Has anyone ever experienced this?  I'm wondering if it's possible, in some sort of accident, for any of the connective tissues in my torso (ligaments, tendons, messentaries) to have 'broken lose' or torn slightly.  I'm about ready to test this theory at my next Dr.'s appointment, hopefully not to be laughed out of the office!

Well just putting my story out there.  Hopefully someone has any suggestions, or my story could help out others.  

Let's all get better so we can move on with our lives!!
HELLO FOLKS IAM 22 AM HAVE JUST STARTED THATS YAWNING PROBLEM LIKE EVERY 3 MINUTES AND IAM NOT EVEN TIRED ITS BEEN GOING ON FOR 3 DAYS NOW.
HEY guys , i am going through the same thing infact righ now i am even going through it ... has any one ever checked to see if its sinuses i am 15 and started getting like 4 5 years ago...  and have had sinus issues all my life  and i know that when i get this feeling my nose allways feels  stuffed when it's happening
I have suffered from excessive yawning for several years....around 2003.  Mine, as with most of you, comes and goes with no rhyme or reason.  Sometimes when it flairs up it will last a few hours, other times it will last days, weeks, or one time even 3 months.  I too notice it being worse when I am sitting or laying down.  I can not get comfortable when sitting or trying to sleep and will constantly shift my body trying to find a comfortable position in which I don't feel the pressure on my chest.  I do suffer from anxiety and have for years, and it definatley gets worse when I get anxious.  However, it doesn't always happen when I'm anxious, it will happen for no reason at all.....like tonight for instance....I was sitting here watcing TV when it began.....that was 4 hours ago and no relief yet.  After years of going through this I was really starting to think I was crazy until tonight when I actually started to research this.  My husband has teased me our entire relationship that it's "all in my head" and I just need to chill out.  Obviously it's not because he has told me before that I do it in my sleep sometimes......so if I'm in a dead sleep and still doing it, its not "all in my head."  Also I have had asthma since elementry school but back then it was only bad with exercise (although albuteral inhalers never did releive my symptoms- and still don't today).  Only about 6 years ago did I start to develop this "yawning" problem.  I feel like my Advair and Singulair seem to help for the most part, but when I still have the shortness of breath and "yawning problem" it seems like they aren't doing their job completley.

Thanks to the blog from Yawnstop on Jan 10, 2008, I may have just found my problem!!!!  He stated that he has an allergy to Metabisulfites- a preservative found in lots of foods and is also used to clean the lines in fountain drinks.  What is coincidental about this is today I had a pickle (this preservative is found in pickles) and I had a fountain drink (its found in the lines).  I do not drink coke on a regular basis but today I happened to have a severe headache and thought caffine would help.  And tonight I started having shortness of breath again, with yawning being the only way to "catch my breath".

I started researching this preservative and found a website on sulfite allergies.  Common side effects of this allergy include:

Nausea
Diarrhea
Asthma and Broncospasm
Racing heart
Chest tightness
Nausea
Hives
Nasal and sinus congestion (this can be immediate)
Runny nose (rhinitis) and postnasal drip
Frontal headaches
Seizures
Anaphylactic shock (rare)

Here is my medical history you can draw your own conclusions but I am finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel:  
27/yr old Female
birth control
advair (for asthma---diagnosed in elementry school)
wellbutrin for anxiety
singulair (also for asthma and allergies)
prilosect for acid reflux

*bad allergies entire life
*"nervous stomach" entire life
*anxiety/depression meds in early 20's
*advair prescribed in 2004
*singulair prescribed in 2007
*prilosect prescribed in 2008 (only take it when need it)

****Allergies to any medication containing Sulfa or Sulfame- since 2003

+In early 20's developed constant postnasal drip, runny nose, stuffy nose
+diagnosed with "asthma" but meds don't necessarily always work
+have episodes of racing heart, which I attributed to anxiety but now I'm rethinking that
+often have belly problems.

This website I found that I am going to continue to look into states lots of medications contain "sulfite"and if you even have a slight allergy to this preservative that you are going to experience the above side effects.  It also states that lots of asthma medications contain this preservative.  So something that I thought for all these years was suppose to be helping me could have been the culprit all along!!!!  This is all making me think more because I was not on medications except my albuteral inhaler throughout my entire childhood and all through high school.  It wasn't until my early 20's that I started to get on medications for depression, anxiety, and different meds to control my "asthma".  Looking back thats also when my yawning problem began.  I am going to continue to research this allergy and see if I have possibly found the solution to my problem.  I suggest you too look into this to see if you could possibly have an allergy to this preservative.
My relaxation techniques described on March 6 ,2010 in this thread will help with all your medical issues.Start doing it today and you will feel the benefits in days.
hey guys its me clarissa i am almost certain this has to do with sinuses from reading all of these statements and what i have gone through my self.... i am almost  certain its sinuses .... i will be going t the ENT  ear nose throat dovtor doctor on the 29 ( only appointment i could get)  i will let you know what happens from there i also have been told MANY time's to try a neti pot... its clears out your sinuses and make it easier to breath it also helps with allergies and stuff i dont know i would look into it .... ask your doctor  i will ask mine and tell you what happens with my ENT.
hi me again just to let you know i have counted all the messages on here and there is almost 200 good to know that many people feel the same and we are all not alone i cam up here i again just to read to get me to feel better , as i am having the same thing right now i honestly do believe that it is sinuses as i said in my last entry that i will be going to the ent on the 29  and ask them i have also found at nighttime when i have this problem if i put on some vicks it helps alot and i can breath clearly i pretty sure its sinuses but ill let you know what my nt doctor says...
How many of you folks smoke?
I read a majority of the forum and I almost feel like I know each and every one of you. My symptoms started when I was 18 years old. I was graduating from high school, going straight to college, in an abusive relationship, and just started a new job. People though ok she is stressed. I started feeling as though I was having a hard time taking a deep breath in. And at times, which it is actually happening now, which is why I am on here, I feel as though there is a lump in my throat and I have to yawn a million times. I am 27, almost 28 so I really hope I have found my resolution and I am close enough to a cure. Ok, first things first.. I started out at age 8 with bad menstral cramps by the time I was 18 I had been perscribed 35 different medicines.. Why am I telling you this? hmm when I first started with all of these symptoms I went to the doctor once twice up to four times a week. No one had any clue as to what my problem was. I was told to try this try that do this do that.. nothing worked! I was even given inhalors and told they did not hear wheezing but to try them anyway?!?!?! I finally got to the point where I was fed up and started looking into many other doctors and their input. Probably about the 6th doctor I went to told me this and I will stick to it to this day, " I have general anxiety disorder caused by severe GERD or acid reflux disorder. " I never had heartburn, I never had stomach issues I actually ate what I wanted whenever I wanted! So, this was kind of odd for me. The explanation I received afterwards made perfect sense. I had been on so many different medications it had upset my stomach lining and caused GERD. therefore to this day I take acid reflux medicine and anxiety because as I said before if I feel like I cant take a deep breath I kinda freak myself out. I am almost completely better though. I never associated the yawn thing with the acid reflux until today though, and the more I read the more I realized. This is acid reflux as well. I am certain a lot of you guys are suffering from acid reflux, some arent ,, but a lot are! Check it out!
forboxerkt questionthere are some on here who do smoke but there is more than one that is around my age 15 or even younger and have never smoked nore been aroune people who smoke so i doubt what ever you are thinking is the case.
ivy637 i never have heart burn or problems wiith stomach nore have i been on tons of meds.... so i dont know if its that i could be i dont know i dont think any of us really know and that why we are on this  site.... i will defiently be looking in to that acid reflux thing and see if i have any other symptom i have been suffering with this for years i do suggest allllll of us to go to are doctors and get are sinuses checked as i do see how it could be that even if you think you dont get it checked. I AM HAVING THIS PROBLEM RIGHT NOW!!!! so we all need help lets agree with that ...  and lets find out what i would check this page dailey to see if any more right ins or if any ones found a cure!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SORRY ME AGAIN ...  i checked the symptoms of acid reflux and i have none not saying you all dont but i dont.... so i doubt that's the case in all of us... aot of people all so say that it could be anxiety it very well could be i know alot of you say well no because im not stressed nor do i worry alot... well anxiety can also be caused by family it does run in the family so ask... it dosent even  have to be the case for parents or grandparents it  could be further back... i think it would be so much easier for all of us 200 and some people just to go to one doctor unfortunetly thats not possible but it would be alot easier they defiently would not think we are crazy because THERE IS SOOOOO MANY OF USS and thinking about how many more are out there just wondering what the heck id wrong with them scared.... i dont think its really dangerous cause most of us have had it  for years its just anoying as hell and scary when its happening. i do kinda believe as i said in my last post about  sinuses so i do recomend us ALLLLL going to are doctors and getting sinuses checked and asking if it could be anxiety ( not just the doctors ask your family about anxiety see if it runs in your family... i do nottice and i dont know if you do to my nose feels kinda dry tight a little stuffed  when its happening i dont know if its just me...  so next time its happening (  maybe your reading this and having problems) pay attention to your nose....
okay let you guys know what happens at ent ttyl
I too had all of those symtoms (symptoms) since around age 8... especially finding it hard to get a deep breath. I was not diagnosed until a couple of years ago.   I found out that my problem, and probably  for many of you is...SEASONAL ASTHMA.  For me the trick is singulair and an allergy (OTC) medicine such as loratadine.  I suffer primarily from March/April-Sept. and within a day or two of starting my medications I can finally breath normal.  I take both medications before I go to bed each night an what a difference.  I wish the best of luck to all of you.  
Hi GUYS its me clarissa i went to my ent appointment  and he told me i had air born allergies he told me that that wouldnt come out in my allergy test he game ne nasonex to take every night before i go to bed. its been my second night at doing it so.. it usually takes like 2 weeks for it to work... i have another ent appointment at the end of this month to see if its been helping i also went to the hospital because of not being able to get a  deep breath and they told me i had chostochondritis ( its inflamation (inflammation) of the tissue that connects to the breastbone / sternum.) it has nothing to do with lungs it just makes you feel like you cant breath or get in deep breaths i just had to take some ibuprofen will see....
ive been using nasonex for about 5 days now and i am seeing a little differnce i dont have it as often
OMG i thought i was the only one who felt like this ive been to doctors, respritory specialists, and they all make me sound like im putting it on or its just anxiety etc, ive been like this for just over 2 years now needing to yawn just to get that satifying breathe out its very frustrating, especially when im eating so i find i dont eat much now or i could be carrying my baby and all of a sudden feel like i need to get that good breathe out and have to yawn and yawn to finally  feel like im breathing properly. I dont know what to do with it anymore, im past frustration, and i dont know who can help with it. Im glad im not the only one with these symtoms (symptoms) just wish i could get a group together and all go to the same doctor so they know that its not just me lol. What can we do about this?

christine
Look at my post of Mar 06 ,2010 and try the relaxation techniques described there. You will feel in better control of yawning in days.
Hi everyone,

I was suffering with the whole yawning and feeling extremely fatigued problem for the last 2 years. I just wanted to stay in bed, and started feeling so tired, that I did not even want to go to the gym. I was yawning so much that everyone around me noticed and it, was becoming quite an embarrassment for me.
After 2 years of going back and forth from one doctor to the next with different diagnosis, I finally decided to go see a really good homeopath to treat me. What I learned was amazing! The yawning problem was directly related to lack of oxygen levels in my brain, and it was affecting my short term memory as well. It had become so difficult for me to remember anything, amd I am only 35 years old. It was awful, but the homeopath I saw got me back on the road to recovery. The key in treating this problem is to make sure that your body and brain are always properly hydrated. You must drink a minium of 2 liters of water a day. I know it sounds like a lot, but I had only been drinking about 8 ounces a day when I began noticing the yawning problems. So ask yourselves how much water are you drinking? If your brain does not receive adequate water intake, then your brain cells actually begin to die, slowly but surely. It is actually scary to think about. I was diagnosed with thyroid problems and other problems in the beginning, only to find out that I needed to hydrate myself properly and take the proper vitamins and supplements. There is an excellent all natural product on the market called 'OXY DHQ.' You can look it up and see the benefits that it provides. I order it off the internet myself. It puts oxygen back into your body and cells. It is so wonderful that cancer patients even use it. My suggestion would be to find a qaulified homeopath in your area that knows how to treat this condition. I am so much better then I was, and just want to help others who are stuggling with the yawning too... Good luck to all
Hello Hava, thanks for your helpful advice on trying the breathing techniqus.  

But I have a question:  do you think these techniques might help someone who has trouble breathing because of costochondritis (inflammation of cartilage connecting to ribs?)?

Thanks for any additional knowledge you might have!
Dear Chrissykellett,

Congratulations on finally getting a diagnosis of airborn allergies and chostochondritis (2 years, jeez!!).  I too am suffering from this inability to get a full breath and I think it may be caused by costochondritis.

Anyhow, in case you need more info on costochondritis, I found a great blog w/TONS of info on the condition:

http://www.costohope.blogspot.com/

I also think there may be a thread on this site (medhelp.org) regarding this condition, I haven't really looked.

All the best in your search for recovery and keep us posted!

Peter
Hi , me again ... i defenetly think that its allergies or sinus issue.... my ent EAR NOSE AND THROAT DOCTOR put me on nasonex  for allergic rhinitis and i swear it was like magic ! i was having no problems at all i felt GREAT!!!!
But after about two weeks of using nasonex my nose started to burn when i sprayed it in my nose... so i told my doctor ent he told me to stop; use of it and to try zyrtec ( medicene for allergies)  ii will be starting that tonight anyway when i stoped using the nasonex a day after i missed my dossage i was around a store and again i had the issue of breathing in deeply...  so i defiently think that it has to do with allergies or sinuses ... i will let you know how the zyrtec works like i will startuse tonight !!!!
Viewing 1-200 comments: