Respiratory Disorders Community
Strange Involuntary Breath

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Viewing 201-243 comments:
Thank you for this post.  I have been suffering with this on and off for a number of years.  My situation is a little different than others on this post.  I am an 43 year old avid runner having competed in multiple marathons. I have a few extra lbs, but have always been fairly healty. I have had no trauma in my life and have not taken any kind of medication in at least 10 years.  I have the usual stress that most have, but have never been diagnosed with anxiety or depression.  This issue seems to happen when I am sick, but of course never happens when I am at the doctor.  The 7-11 rule definitely helps and makes me feel like I have some kind of control over this.  
I can't believe I stumbled onto this discussion board!  I just began having these involuntary gasps after having gallbladder surgery. I noticed that after the surgery - I was unable to take a deep breath without it causing great pain. I know it's not in my head because I startle my dog every time I do it.  Even as I was reading everyone's posts - it happened to me again. I wish I knew the medical term for this so that I can get to the bottom of this.
I am so glad to find out that Im not the only one this has happen to I was starting to think I was crazy. Mine started about a year ago sometimes I go for days without it and sometimes it does it 2 or 3 times aday and like yall the doctor didnt seem concern Im going to a lung doctor next week to get a answer I have COPD overweight and I did smoke been quit Dec. will be 4 years.
Do any of you have sleep apnea or a history of pneumonia? I have too many issues to list but just trying to find a common thread here.
My daughter is 14 she has been doing this for about 3 yrs about every 30 min. To an hour.it sound like she was surpised or is sobbing.she also sometime hiccups just a single hiccup about every couple of hours.
Hi . . . I too have this. It just began recently. I am 53 years old, don't smoke and am not over weight.
I suffer from depression and anxiety.   I'm not sure when it started but I'm sure it coincided with start of my anxiety

Jason eacups
I too believe it's called 'atelectasis' . It can be caused by a variety of conditions -- especially at well age.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breathing_difficulty#section_2
Yes -- I noticed that there are some commonalities -- a pattern: asthma, chronic hypo-thyroid, sleep apnea, GERD (acid reflux), surgical damage -- ESP. Gallbladder, bronchitis, recurrent pneumonia, & cold symptoms: I too believe it's called 'atelectasis'. It can be caused by a variety of conditions -- especially as we age/&/or acquire one or more of the conditions mentioned.
Get a complete thyroid panel with an ultra sound of your thyroid -- many times the labs report thyroid levels within range, but if ONE to multiple nodules are discovered in an ultrasound (along with a 'normal' thyroid lab) this could mean you've been suffering from chronic hypothyroidism (so this is a possible reason your labs are coming within range -- because your thyroid has been struggling to compensate -- hence the multi-focal point nodules)!
Sounds like your thyroid levels may need readjustment, but don't rule out sleep apnea, & that you're not Pseudocholinesterase Deficient as this genetic condition will keep you from breaking down certain common medications leading to chronic fatigue. So get a Sleep Study, complete thyroid panel with an ultra sound of your thyroid -- many times the labs report thyroid levels within range, but if ONE to multiple nodules are discovered in an ultrasound (along with a 'normal' thyroid lab) this could mean you've been suffering from chronic hypothyroidism (so this is a possible reason your labs are coming within range -- because your thyroid has been struggling to compensate -- hence the multi-focal point nodules)!
Get pain management via a spinal epidural steroid shots! Then begin exercising to decrease that weight (which may also possibly cure your diabetes), meanwhile, sounds like your thyroid levels may need adjustment, but don't rule out sleep apnea (which usually goes hand-in-hand with being overweight & depression). So get a Sleep Study, complete thyroid panel with an ultra sound of your thyroid -- many times the labs report thyroid levels within range, but if ONE to multiple nodules are discovered in an ultrasound (along with a 'normal' thyroid lab) this could mean you've been suffering from chronic hypothyroidism (so this is a possible reason your labs are coming within range -- because your thyroid has been struggling to compensate -- hence the multi-focal point nodules)!
Hello everyone.  I just want to make a comment.  The exact same thing happened to me, very similar to how it happens to most of you.  My "regular" doc didn't think it was a big deal when I told her, but it was very, very annoying.  Now, I'm gonna say this - and HONESTLY it's not to scare anyone, but I can only tell you MY experience.  That big sudden deep breath thing started (for me) right before I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer.  I of course got treatments immediately, and after 8 rounds of chemo, it has never happened again.  But trust me, I still wonder why my body did that !!  It was very weird.
Just to add this comment, I go back to my cancer Oncologist annually to get an MRI and a full body scan ( called PET ).    Although everything looked good as far as mr remission, the doc did mention that word: Atelectasis...  Of my lungs, and if I remember, when I looked this up, it was like a condition of the lungs....one that may not be able to be repaired....I guess, similar to scarring or scar tissue.  

Anyway, like I said above, it was EXTREMELY annoying, it lasted for about 3-4 months, doctors didn't have a clue, which annoyed me even more !!  But after that 3-4 month period, I got my diagnosis of stage 4 Non-Hodg. Lymph, got into chemo right away, and it hasn't happened since!!  

I am leaning toward believing it had something to do with our lungs....like some of the posts have said....I don't think it's stress related...my "gasps" started BEFORE I knew I had cancer, so I wasn't even stressed.

I would be remiss if I did not add the fact that I am truly surprised (and sort of pleased) that I wasn't the only one who experienced this weird breathing symptom !!  Good luck y'all !!!
I have had the same symptoms for a few days now and it's happening every 5 to 7 min and it doesn't seem to go away. I have to take deep breath to make it pass quickly and it's followed by cardiac arithmia . I also had h pillory a few month ago but this just started and its freaking me out big time. I was asmarhic when I was younger(I am now 38). It's good to know I'm not the only one and that I found you guys here and we can update each other on this.
I meant to say asthmatic and to add to my post, I am going under lots of stress right now, I was also ill with the flu couple of weeks ago and every time it happens its followed by really fast palpitations. Although it seems to be nothing to worry about I actually do, this is not normal...at all. Please update, anyone, any improvements, findings etc... this posting took me about 5 to 10 min and as im writing, it has happened 6 times already... thanks in advance and wishing everyone lots of good health!!!
Hope you went back to pulmonologist about this. I had those kinds of symptoms and had a type of lung infection, with fluid in the lining of my lungs. No phlegm, no cough
Dear Mapes79,
You state that your 4 year old has nothing to be  stressed about.  Please understand that children experience stress more profoundly than adults.  Just a change in routine can cause this, or going to school away from her home.  Then, please look what you wrote here: Rather than going to her Pediatrician who would have made all this more clear for you and put less stress on your child, you went to an ER, had an ECG and ECHO run (scary!). (They also found nothing to worry about.)   And now you're thinking of "looking into having her tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) out as they are quite large and there is a possibility of sleep apnea"!  You would put the child through surgery?  This is what her Pediatrician is for to avoid parents "stressing out" and putting their children through frightening (for them) procedures just so the parent can feel better.  You, I am truly sorry to say, are the biggest stress in your child's life (sorry because I'm sure you are trying your best) among all the other stresses of growing and experiencing children undergo.  You sound like your stress rules your better judgment.  When your child finally realizes that you worry like this they will rebel and feel you have no confidence in them or they may become as worried as you.  Trust her doctor and if you don't, find one that you do.  Then learn about the worrying side of OCD.
Best wishes.
Stop it! I had an endoscopy 3 months ago and h pylori and now i have the involuntary sharp intake of breath. Im 28, but i do have many other health concerns, including lupus, fibromyalgia, blood clots in the leg, and had my first seizure about two weeks ago and kindve this strange almost funny numbness along my right jaw towards the back of my neck. so mine could be nerve related, poor circulation or in my brain. They are going to do a spinal tap and mri of my brain. Hopefully get sonme answers :)
I'm actually much younger than all of you, but I'm just as curious. I looked it up since my parents wouldn't answer. Is what you are all talking about the same to mine? I can just be sitting and doing completely nothing, when I suddenly take this really quick and deep breath.

I guess a muscle spasm would make sense but I think it could mean that you didn't have enough oxygen so your body reacted and sucked in some more air. I don't know, I'm just a teenager.
Finally! People who know what I am going through!

I am 26, white male (Mediterranean decent if that helps) with a fairly fit body. I have been getting these strange breaths for the past 2 years or so. What is so strange about them is that they happen randomly. It could happen several times a week and I can go a whole month without doing it. I should probably keep a journal of what I have been doing around the times I get them.

Most confuse it with a sigh but I actually inhale loudly but don't exhale loudly like a sign. It sounds like I am gasping or something similar to that.

My friend told me it was me just looking for attention (whatever that means). I thought it was in my head until I read everyone else's response here. The only thing I can link to this is that i smoked for 4 years in college. That was about 5 years ago though. I do exercise regularly though.

I once went to the doctor and mentioned it. She put a stethoscope to my heart/lungs and didn't hear anything abnormal. When the nurse came in and took a breathing test (she told me to blow hard into an instrument for 5 seconds) I couldn't completely it. I tried my hardest to breath into the apparatus but according to the nurse I wasn't doing it hard or long enough. I tried my hardest and I though I was doing a good job but I guess not.The nurse didn't want to get in trouble that I couldn't do it so she told me to tell the doctor that I did it. I stupidly went along. There might be something wrong there. I never went back (this was about 5 months ago). I will go in a few months again when I get insurance again. There could be something connected with my lungs.

I really hope it gets resolved. It's very annoying. I feel sickly when I do it.
I forgot to mention I do get depressed from time to time. I definitely was pretty depressed up until a year ago. I also get easily anxious/nervous.

I do feel stressed easily as well.
Your issues are caused by damage to the PHRENIC NERVE, which controls the diaphragm.  If I had enough time I would send this same response to everyone who has written in this blog.  I have the same problem and know that in my case it has been caused by a herniated disc in my neck.  Just "Google" Phrenic Nerve and you will find much more information on this issue.
The vagus nerve can also play a role.
I have this too. My son keeps asking, "Why are you sighing?" I can't help it. My body takes a shuddering deep breath probably once every 5 minutes or so. And, it feels awesome, like tons of seratonin are flooding into my system.

My deep involuntary breaths started after a near death experience due to a bad car accident. My entire body was slammed in an high speed head-on collision. I had full cat scans and xrays of my entire body and all of my internal issues have been dealt with.

I assumed that this was a post-trauma event. I have had these air sigh episodes after extensive exercise in the past. I figured this was my body's attempt to make me feel more calm as the PTSD from my accident was intense.

I am not worried about it at all, just curious as to if it has a name or purpose. Sounds like medical science still has a lot to learn about our bodies. They are an amazing piece of biological technology.
I recently suffered a brain stem stroke a couple weeks ago and am experiencing this also..I'm going to ask my PCP tomorrow when I visit.
I think its related to a constricting airway.  One of the main reasons for this is silent but serious symptom...GERD.  many dont realize they have acid reflux when they sleep at night.  This acidic bacteria can cause scaring, hardening and permanent constricting of the air tubes, laryngitis, pneumonia, bronchitis, horrid bacterial sinus infections, an increase in throat cancer, and much more.
thanks a lot Largomet !!! I was really worried why i have this involuntary intake of breaths for about a week and was really worried but now i feel relieved after knowing that it is caused by Gabpantin  that i have been taking for  Restless Leg Syndrome !!!
Have they tested you for a possible dx of cystic fibrosis? Any trouble with fatty foods? Mucus in your stool?
Not sure if you got my reply post. Have they assessed you for cystic fibrosis? Trouble with fatty foods? Mucus in your stool?
Thank you for your input.  I have issues with my neck, such as a herniated disk.  Im not sure when I started this annoying breathing problem.  I hope it is what you say.
I was randomly gasping for air,very frequently,mostly in the evening,long story short ended up having pulmonary function test done,which resulted in a diagnosis of Asthma, was put on a puffer with great improvement,, recently had sleep study test done,which concludes I don't have sleep apnea, when I mentioned that I still have occasional gasps, the Doctor felt that was an indicator that my Asthma is not yet under control and that my puffer may need to be changed,we'll see.
I agree!
I also have the same problem. for a few years now and it seems to be getting more frequent. it can happen at any time with no warning whatsoever. It always attracts attention when I am in company and distresses me because it is antisocial and embarrassing. if I am lucky it is just a sharp intake of breath, but that still can attract attention as it can be mistaken as a reaction to someone's discussion.At worse it is a loud snort which sounds horrible. My father used to suffer the same infliction. I am a 43 year old male. I can best describe it as an involuntarily sharp intake of breath, which doesn't feel anything like a hiccup. More a hiccup without the immediate halt of inhalation.
im 15 almost 16 im a huge cross country runner i run 6 times a week anywhere from 5 to 9 miles daily and recently i get these strange sharp involuntary gasps/hiccup type things and it hurts sometimes but i dont wanna tell anyone cause i dont want them to have me go to the doctor and it be really bad. it mostly occurs when im really pushing myself like up hills or sprints but it happens after words for awhile and during school randomly or when i get nervous ( because i do have anxiety and minor depression) im very worryied about this it affects my running sometimes but does anyonehavea clue what it could be?
I am a 15 year old female, with no health problems, and i am not overweight. I also have this annoying hiccup type thing, it has been happening for about a month now,
Sometimes it occurs every few hours or sometimes its only like 2-3 times a day. I do not know why it happens either, but i am going to do more research on it
Yes, I have sleep apnea and also numerous surgies
Did a course of action help with this problem.   I have same issues. Incl snorting from time to tiem
That's exactly what's happening to me at the moment. I had my gallbladder out 10 days ago. I still feel like  I have stitch in my side and keep getting these involuntary intakes of air.
Do you know if this happens to a lot of people or can it mean something more?
I experience one or two of these involuntary breaths each night as I am going to sleep.  It brings me to complete relaxation and oxygenation of my body, followed by deep relaxed sleep.  I wish I could voluntarily replicate the wonderful depth of breath, but I can't if I try. My body does it on its own, apparently as an indication I am reaching a peaceful place. I love it, and see it as a gift my body gives me.

Does anyone else enjoy their deep involuntary breaths?  
Viewing 201-243 comments: