Respiratory Disorders Community
Strange Involuntary Breath

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Viewing 201-276 comments:
I too believe it's called 'atelectasis' . It can be caused by a variety of conditions -- especially at well age.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breathing_difficulty#section_2
Yes -- I noticed that there are some commonalities -- a pattern: asthma, chronic hypo-thyroid, sleep apnea, GERD (acid reflux), surgical damage -- ESP. Gallbladder, bronchitis, recurrent pneumonia, & cold symptoms: I too believe it's called 'atelectasis'. It can be caused by a variety of conditions -- especially as we age/&/or acquire one or more of the conditions mentioned.
Get a complete thyroid panel with an ultra sound of your thyroid -- many times the labs report thyroid levels within range, but if ONE to multiple nodules are discovered in an ultrasound (along with a 'normal' thyroid lab) this could mean you've been suffering from chronic hypothyroidism (so this is a possible reason your labs are coming within range -- because your thyroid has been struggling to compensate -- hence the multi-focal point nodules)!
Sounds like your thyroid levels may need readjustment, but don't rule out sleep apnea, & that you're not Pseudocholinesterase Deficient as this genetic condition will keep you from breaking down certain common medications leading to chronic fatigue. So get a Sleep Study, complete thyroid panel with an ultra sound of your thyroid -- many times the labs report thyroid levels within range, but if ONE to multiple nodules are discovered in an ultrasound (along with a 'normal' thyroid lab) this could mean you've been suffering from chronic hypothyroidism (so this is a possible reason your labs are coming within range -- because your thyroid has been struggling to compensate -- hence the multi-focal point nodules)!
Get pain management via a spinal epidural steroid shots! Then begin exercising to decrease that weight (which may also possibly cure your diabetes), meanwhile, sounds like your thyroid levels may need adjustment, but don't rule out sleep apnea (which usually goes hand-in-hand with being overweight & depression). So get a Sleep Study, complete thyroid panel with an ultra sound of your thyroid -- many times the labs report thyroid levels within range, but if ONE to multiple nodules are discovered in an ultrasound (along with a 'normal' thyroid lab) this could mean you've been suffering from chronic hypothyroidism (so this is a possible reason your labs are coming within range -- because your thyroid has been struggling to compensate -- hence the multi-focal point nodules)!
Hello everyone.  I just want to make a comment.  The exact same thing happened to me, very similar to how it happens to most of you.  My "regular" doc didn't think it was a big deal when I told her, but it was very, very annoying.  Now, I'm gonna say this - and HONESTLY it's not to scare anyone, but I can only tell you MY experience.  That big sudden deep breath thing started (for me) right before I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer.  I of course got treatments immediately, and after 8 rounds of chemo, it has never happened again.  But trust me, I still wonder why my body did that !!  It was very weird.
Just to add this comment, I go back to my cancer Oncologist annually to get an MRI and a full body scan ( called PET ).    Although everything looked good as far as mr remission, the doc did mention that word: Atelectasis...  Of my lungs, and if I remember, when I looked this up, it was like a condition of the lungs....one that may not be able to be repaired....I guess, similar to scarring or scar tissue.  

Anyway, like I said above, it was EXTREMELY annoying, it lasted for about 3-4 months, doctors didn't have a clue, which annoyed me even more !!  But after that 3-4 month period, I got my diagnosis of stage 4 Non-Hodg. Lymph, got into chemo right away, and it hasn't happened since!!  

I am leaning toward believing it had something to do with our lungs....like some of the posts have said....I don't think it's stress related...my "gasps" started BEFORE I knew I had cancer, so I wasn't even stressed.

I would be remiss if I did not add the fact that I am truly surprised (and sort of pleased) that I wasn't the only one who experienced this weird breathing symptom !!  Good luck y'all !!!
I have had the same symptoms for a few days now and it's happening every 5 to 7 min and it doesn't seem to go away. I have to take deep breath to make it pass quickly and it's followed by cardiac arithmia . I also had h pillory a few month ago but this just started and its freaking me out big time. I was asmarhic when I was younger(I am now 38). It's good to know I'm not the only one and that I found you guys here and we can update each other on this.
I meant to say asthmatic and to add to my post, I am going under lots of stress right now, I was also ill with the flu couple of weeks ago and every time it happens its followed by really fast palpitations. Although it seems to be nothing to worry about I actually do, this is not normal...at all. Please update, anyone, any improvements, findings etc... this posting took me about 5 to 10 min and as im writing, it has happened 6 times already... thanks in advance and wishing everyone lots of good health!!!
Hope you went back to pulmonologist about this. I had those kinds of symptoms and had a type of lung infection, with fluid in the lining of my lungs. No phlegm, no cough
Dear Mapes79,
You state that your 4 year old has nothing to be  stressed about.  Please understand that children experience stress more profoundly than adults.  Just a change in routine can cause this, or going to school away from her home.  Then, please look what you wrote here: Rather than going to her Pediatrician who would have made all this more clear for you and put less stress on your child, you went to an ER, had an ECG and ECHO run (scary!). (They also found nothing to worry about.)   And now you're thinking of "looking into having her tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) out as they are quite large and there is a possibility of sleep apnea"!  You would put the child through surgery?  This is what her Pediatrician is for to avoid parents "stressing out" and putting their children through frightening (for them) procedures just so the parent can feel better.  You, I am truly sorry to say, are the biggest stress in your child's life (sorry because I'm sure you are trying your best) among all the other stresses of growing and experiencing children undergo.  You sound like your stress rules your better judgment.  When your child finally realizes that you worry like this they will rebel and feel you have no confidence in them or they may become as worried as you.  Trust her doctor and if you don't, find one that you do.  Then learn about the worrying side of OCD.
Best wishes.
Stop it! I had an endoscopy 3 months ago and h pylori and now i have the involuntary sharp intake of breath. Im 28, but i do have many other health concerns, including lupus, fibromyalgia, blood clots in the leg, and had my first seizure about two weeks ago and kindve this strange almost funny numbness along my right jaw towards the back of my neck. so mine could be nerve related, poor circulation or in my brain. They are going to do a spinal tap and mri of my brain. Hopefully get sonme answers :)
I'm actually much younger than all of you, but I'm just as curious. I looked it up since my parents wouldn't answer. Is what you are all talking about the same to mine? I can just be sitting and doing completely nothing, when I suddenly take this really quick and deep breath.

I guess a muscle spasm would make sense but I think it could mean that you didn't have enough oxygen so your body reacted and sucked in some more air. I don't know, I'm just a teenager.
Finally! People who know what I am going through!

I am 26, white male (Mediterranean decent if that helps) with a fairly fit body. I have been getting these strange breaths for the past 2 years or so. What is so strange about them is that they happen randomly. It could happen several times a week and I can go a whole month without doing it. I should probably keep a journal of what I have been doing around the times I get them.

Most confuse it with a sigh but I actually inhale loudly but don't exhale loudly like a sign. It sounds like I am gasping or something similar to that.

My friend told me it was me just looking for attention (whatever that means). I thought it was in my head until I read everyone else's response here. The only thing I can link to this is that i smoked for 4 years in college. That was about 5 years ago though. I do exercise regularly though.

I once went to the doctor and mentioned it. She put a stethoscope to my heart/lungs and didn't hear anything abnormal. When the nurse came in and took a breathing test (she told me to blow hard into an instrument for 5 seconds) I couldn't completely it. I tried my hardest to breath into the apparatus but according to the nurse I wasn't doing it hard or long enough. I tried my hardest and I though I was doing a good job but I guess not.The nurse didn't want to get in trouble that I couldn't do it so she told me to tell the doctor that I did it. I stupidly went along. There might be something wrong there. I never went back (this was about 5 months ago). I will go in a few months again when I get insurance again. There could be something connected with my lungs.

I really hope it gets resolved. It's very annoying. I feel sickly when I do it.
I forgot to mention I do get depressed from time to time. I definitely was pretty depressed up until a year ago. I also get easily anxious/nervous.

I do feel stressed easily as well.
Your issues are caused by damage to the PHRENIC NERVE, which controls the diaphragm.  If I had enough time I would send this same response to everyone who has written in this blog.  I have the same problem and know that in my case it has been caused by a herniated disc in my neck.  Just "Google" Phrenic Nerve and you will find much more information on this issue.
The vagus nerve can also play a role.
I have this too. My son keeps asking, "Why are you sighing?" I can't help it. My body takes a shuddering deep breath probably once every 5 minutes or so. And, it feels awesome, like tons of seratonin are flooding into my system.

My deep involuntary breaths started after a near death experience due to a bad car accident. My entire body was slammed in an high speed head-on collision. I had full cat scans and xrays of my entire body and all of my internal issues have been dealt with.

I assumed that this was a post-trauma event. I have had these air sigh episodes after extensive exercise in the past. I figured this was my body's attempt to make me feel more calm as the PTSD from my accident was intense.

I am not worried about it at all, just curious as to if it has a name or purpose. Sounds like medical science still has a lot to learn about our bodies. They are an amazing piece of biological technology.
I recently suffered a brain stem stroke a couple weeks ago and am experiencing this also..I'm going to ask my PCP tomorrow when I visit.
I think its related to a constricting airway.  One of the main reasons for this is silent but serious symptom...GERD.  many dont realize they have acid reflux when they sleep at night.  This acidic bacteria can cause scaring, hardening and permanent constricting of the air tubes, laryngitis, pneumonia, bronchitis, horrid bacterial sinus infections, an increase in throat cancer, and much more.
thanks a lot Largomet !!! I was really worried why i have this involuntary intake of breaths for about a week and was really worried but now i feel relieved after knowing that it is caused by Gabpantin  that i have been taking for  Restless Leg Syndrome !!!
Have they tested you for a possible dx of cystic fibrosis? Any trouble with fatty foods? Mucus in your stool?
Not sure if you got my reply post. Have they assessed you for cystic fibrosis? Trouble with fatty foods? Mucus in your stool?
Thank you for your input.  I have issues with my neck, such as a herniated disk.  Im not sure when I started this annoying breathing problem.  I hope it is what you say.
I was randomly gasping for air,very frequently,mostly in the evening,long story short ended up having pulmonary function test done,which resulted in a diagnosis of Asthma, was put on a puffer with great improvement,, recently had sleep study test done,which concludes I don't have sleep apnea, when I mentioned that I still have occasional gasps, the Doctor felt that was an indicator that my Asthma is not yet under control and that my puffer may need to be changed,we'll see.
I agree!
I also have the same problem. for a few years now and it seems to be getting more frequent. it can happen at any time with no warning whatsoever. It always attracts attention when I am in company and distresses me because it is antisocial and embarrassing. if I am lucky it is just a sharp intake of breath, but that still can attract attention as it can be mistaken as a reaction to someone's discussion.At worse it is a loud snort which sounds horrible. My father used to suffer the same infliction. I am a 43 year old male. I can best describe it as an involuntarily sharp intake of breath, which doesn't feel anything like a hiccup. More a hiccup without the immediate halt of inhalation.
im 15 almost 16 im a huge cross country runner i run 6 times a week anywhere from 5 to 9 miles daily and recently i get these strange sharp involuntary gasps/hiccup type things and it hurts sometimes but i dont wanna tell anyone cause i dont want them to have me go to the doctor and it be really bad. it mostly occurs when im really pushing myself like up hills or sprints but it happens after words for awhile and during school randomly or when i get nervous ( because i do have anxiety and minor depression) im very worryied about this it affects my running sometimes but does anyonehavea clue what it could be?
I am a 15 year old female, with no health problems, and i am not overweight. I also have this annoying hiccup type thing, it has been happening for about a month now,
Sometimes it occurs every few hours or sometimes its only like 2-3 times a day. I do not know why it happens either, but i am going to do more research on it
Yes, I have sleep apnea and also numerous surgies
Did a course of action help with this problem.   I have same issues. Incl snorting from time to tiem
That's exactly what's happening to me at the moment. I had my gallbladder out 10 days ago. I still feel like  I have stitch in my side and keep getting these involuntary intakes of air.
Do you know if this happens to a lot of people or can it mean something more?
I experience one or two of these involuntary breaths each night as I am going to sleep.  It brings me to complete relaxation and oxygenation of my body, followed by deep relaxed sleep.  I wish I could voluntarily replicate the wonderful depth of breath, but I can't if I try. My body does it on its own, apparently as an indication I am reaching a peaceful place. I love it, and see it as a gift my body gives me.

Does anyone else enjoy their deep involuntary breaths?  
Something tells me it's not just one reason. The stories vary in that some have had no health issues and others have had strokes or major surgery.

I am curious if anyone else has Mediterranean Anemia. I read that it can 'cause shortness of breath. I have it. I wonder if it contributes at all.

Since some say it has to do with nerve damage...I wonder if a lot of people experience these breaths crack their joints a lot. Maybe cracking one's neck/back/feet can 'cause nerve damage? No idea.

Also, I have restless legs as well. They used to be a lot worse but have calmed down over the past 1-2 years.

I still get the involuntary breaths. They can stop for weeks and sometimes I get them several times a day. I really hope I find the reason why one day.

Take Magnesium for Restless leg syndrome it works marvolous!
atelectasis is the complete or partial collapse of the lung or lobe or the lung and is actually quite different. We will see it in the hospital if someone after surgery doesn't exercise their lungs well.
I find your other group of diagnoses very interesting though...especially hypothyroidism & gallbladder disease or removal.
Thanks for this information about the phrenic nerve problem.  I also take massive gabbapentin for spine issues.
I also experienced a loss of strength in the left hand first 3 fingers several months back.  A neurologist dr asst said it was coming from my neck.
I damaged the occipital nerve in my neck 20+ years ago in a car wreck.  Nothing could be done, just lived with the pain and issues.

I need 4 bones removed from my back for stenosis, degenerated disc, herniated disc. plus fusion.  3 doctors would do different surgeries.

I ended up at a pain clinic and dr said to put it off as long as possible.  I have for 1 year so far.  I also had lumbar laminectomy in 1990.  Horrible experience and 2+1/2 years to not be in pain daily!

So, I suppose I will be back at neurologist for the fingers and breathing issue!  Geez.  Live is not good except in small doses!
I also have had hypo-thyroidism 45 years.  I suppose the phrenic nerve may be an issue as well as my spinal conditions.
Im 22 and experiencing these symtoms (symptoms) for a month now im scared so muxh once it happens once in the day I cant control my worry its starting to happen one after another I went to hospital who said they think its anxiety/stress related but I dont belive it is I dont have it while having a panic attack or anything I get it at random times I first had ot in my sleep now and again for years but its now a day thing I cant leave my house it scares me so much that im going to stop breathing because sometimes when it happens I feel im not getting a breath in even though I am ? I cant belibe how people have described it perfectly as I tried to tell the doctor at hospital what was going on he had no idea what I was talking about and even giggled abit but im so scared and just need reasurring that this isnt something sinister
Avatar n tn
I am a 49 year old healthy, non smoking female and had my gallbladder removed this past Monday, Dec 1, 2014.  Since the removal of my gallbladder I have been experiencing sudden involuntary gasps of breath and noticed it shortly after surgery on way home from hospital.   Have not spoken to the doctor about this as I am hoping that it's just part of the healing process; however, after reading all of the posts regarding such - I'm not so certain anymore?
I have only read a few of the entries on this forum as there are so many but my status is as follows:
64 year old female
divorced but living with partner who has cancer
two grown up children
three grand children
lansoprasol & naproxen taken for osteoarthritis
work p/t through choice (love my job)
I consider my life good with nice holidays but would say I can easily get 'down'
My sudden intakes of breath always happen when I am trying to get to sleep at night and at no other time.
I wonder if this problem is related to anxiety as I have huge difficulty sleeping at night and although I try not to worry about it I wonder if I am getting anxious at bedtime because of it.
Also I have noticed a lot of people's symptoms seem to happen following surgery which could be as a result of anxiety too.
Teddyeddy, did you ever find out the problem?  My symptoms are a lot like yours.
Hello. Thank you all for this subject. I was able to put my problem in and this site came up. I have been doing this involuntary intake of air for over a year now. Mine is all the time day and night. Over a year ago I had been to a Neurologist which thinks it's not a "nerve thing", a Lung Specialist who did some tests and says my lungs are fine and then a Heart scan which my heart is functioning normal. I just gave up after that and was ready to live with it until a month ago. I have gotten worse. My intake is much deeper now causing pain just below my ribs and above my stomach when I do that intake. I am very fatigued and just want to lay down all the time now. I was having lightheadness but that has gone away. I haven't been at work for two weeks now and trying to get approved for Short term disability since I am just not functioning right.
I just went back to the Neurologist and again without any test being done he said he has no answer for me and is sending a referral to a local University. I don't understand why when they can all hear me doing this involuntery intake of air, that they don't know who can help me. I don't know about the rest of you but I just can't live like this. I am totally interrupted! Has anyone had any successful diagnoses? Please help me.
I have a feeling that this is a neurological issue.
Has anyone found out anything new about this condition. I have it also. A lot of people on this thread were going to have follow ups with their MD,s but I never heard back. Mine happens while trying to sleep, even wakes me up. Have not had a good even 5 hours of sleep in a Year. It's taking it's toll.
  Hang in there !  The answer is out there somewhere. Don't give up !
I am 43 and have recently started having problems breathing on my left side while sitting down for about a month and a half now. I have spent much time researching online the possible cause and of course over thinking the worst possible outcome. At the  same time I am not one that likes to see a doctor about every little problem. I went to my chiropractor and explained the problem, he made adjustments,  felt a little better, but still happening. So I decided to go back and have him do an xray. Looking at the xray sure did explain ALOT! I knew I had scoliosis,  but never thought it was bad enough to cause any problems. Well, it so happened that the small curve in my spine was the exact spot where I am having breathing difficulties. My spine is being compressed causing my ribs to feel almost out of place. There really is nothing that can be done due to the maturity of my bones. He suggested doing daily stretches (away from the side that hurts) and of course more regular visits to him if needed. I hope this helps. I didn't want to go to my regular doc because I knew they would probably send me 10 other places to no avail. Get an xray, look at it yourself, you'll know if that's the problem.
Do you have the  Involuntary breaths too ?  So many people have posted about this problem 4 & 5 years ago. Yet no one has posted back with any positive results or answers. I guess that is kind of a bad sign for all of us.
Avatar n tn
yes i do.  do you?
Yes. Mine happen at night, just as I'm about to fall asleep. They can even wake me out of a sound sleep. Just a deep uncontrolled breath, sometimes a snorting sound. They can happen 5 or 6 times, or every 10 minutes. Makes it hard to get a good night sleep. Do you get them at night ?
Where did everyone go ? Well I'm hoping it's a good sign no one has posted in a while. Maybe , in time, it just all goes away. It stops as strange & unexplained as it came. Good Luck Everyone !
Avatar n tn
still trying to contact you.
I've also got the same problem and after studying all comments on this thread the first thing that jumps out mostly is the strong connection to sharp intake of breath and sleep problems.  My reason for sleep problems is due to severe depression. Sleep depravation can be due to many different reasons but mostly as I've observed here it's the most common reason for the sharp intake if breath syndrome on this thread . We know that most doctors are a bit dismissive of this condition and I think we should be a bit more demanding of our GP's. It is uncomfortable for some, a nuisance, can be embarrassing not to mention worrying. So! I for one am going to push for some Tests to be done which a lot of GP practice's are reluctant to do unless its an obvious matter of life and death due to the financial impact it has on their practice's. Whilst we respect the fact they have a budget I feel it should still  be taken more seriously.
We have to look after ourselves so let's all give an extra push and make sure we are healthy after all we pay our national health so they should help..let's not be put off OK.  Good luck everyone and I wish you good health.
I've also got the same problem and after studying all comments on this thread the first thing that jumps out mostly is the strong connection to sharp intake of breath and sleep problems.  The reason for my sleep problems are due to severe depression. Sleep depravation can obviously be due to many different reasons but mostly as I've observed here it's the most common reason for the sharp intake if breath syndrome on this thread .  The second one seems to be  thyroid problems. We know that most doctors are a bit dismissive of this condition and I think we should be a bit more demanding of our GP's. It is uncomfortable for some, a nuisance, can be embarrassing not to mention worrying. So! I for one am going to now push for some tests to be done which a lot of GP practice's are reluctant to do unless its an obvious matter of life and death due to the financial impact it has on their practice's...these tests cost them which makes an unwelcome dent in their budget...I think it's only the people who insist and won't be fobbed off with perhaps  a home remedy suggestion? Are the people who are heard.  Whilst we respect the fact they have a budget I feel it should still  be taken more seriously.
We have to look after ourselves so let's all give an extra push...maybe talk a bit louder...or listen to their suggestion and then repeat what we want....(at least a referral) ... That would be a good start right! We need to make sure we are healthy after all we pay our national health so they should help..let's not be put off OK.  Good luck everyone and I wish you good health. Right I'll step down off my soap box now.
Yes I also enjoy them. They started a few years ago, when I was about 56, and after going through a particularly stressful several years. I get them infrequently, like once a week. It does seems to relieve stress, it's calming - and feels good.
Hi, the involuntary breaths also happen to me and started when I was pregnant with my first child 12 years ago.  I would like to know what kind of cancer you had and if you had any other symptoms.  I would love to hear back form you.
I have to say that I also enjoy my sudden involuntary intakes of breath and find them relaxing and strangely comforting. I too feel oxygenated and whilst relaxed also feel invigorated. They somehow seem to 'cleanse' and clear my brain in readiness for sleep. I've recently had reason to have my blood oxygen checked and it was absolutely fine. I personally think it's a perfectly normal bodily instinct for survival, a natural oxygen leveler at times of physical stress (illness), emotional stress or environmental stress.

I'm 62, overweight (according to national statistics), Hypothyroidic (for 33+ years), family history of cardiac problems, still working, still happy (probably because I'm now single) and still loving life. I realise some people are very poorly and they have my greatest sympathy, but really folks I think de-stressing, chilling out and being more laid back is more of a lifesaver than any medication. Que Sera Sera.

I wouldn't be without my 'sharp intakes of breath' - love 'em!!

I wish you all the best.
BQSS

Avatar n tn
I am a 69-yo male who started having this breathing issue about 10 days ago. Every so often I find myself taking a deep, sighing breath and on the inhale I have that sob interruption. My theory is that in my case it is caused by my starting to take a beta-blocker which reduced my pulse by about 33% around the same time these symptoms started, and that I take these deep breaths in order to compensate for shallow breathing and lower oxygen uptake due to a slower pulse. That does not explain the hitch or sob during the inhalation, however. If I find out anything more, I will reply again.
I was reading about what Natalie Cole just died from and I have those same symptoms. Which seems similar to what you are speaking of here.
I have been taking medication to lower blood pressure and now I have a low heart rate (52 thumps a minute).  I have a feeling this might be the cause of my involuntary breaths,gasp,sighs (whatever) as my problem started about the same time too.
See your doctor.  
I too lost a child 4 years ago. Have been under a lot of stress with her leaving five kids.  The snorts (I call them) just started after a copd exacerbation episode for which I was hospitalized. I Have been home for 3 weeks snorting. Had sleep study, 02 was dropping to 70. They said I just stop breathing. Smoker for 48 years I quit six months ago, overweight, I am 60, have panic attacks, both hips replaced. Sound a mess.  Also get acid reflux. I Was on steroids and wondering their effect on this. When I came home this last time. my back hurts if I stand longer than five minutes, the left side of my bum goes numb and I have to sit down, and the snorting stared. So this really makes me wonder about a pinched nerve issue causing it from laying up In the bed for weeks. I do catch myself not breathing and shallow breathing, they make a breathing tube called a flutter/flute. I have  started using that to build lung capacity and it also breaks up mucus. Going to do the breathing exercise someone else suggested too. I'm hoping to find an answer here, I see a lot of ideas.

Very sorry for your loss, no one should have to feel the pain of losing a child should they.
I am a 68-year-old female, and I have been having these involuntary breaths for about two weeks.  I was diagnosed with sleep apnea several years ago but do not use the CPAP machine.  I wake myself up out of a deep sleep when I have held my breath and gasped for air.  It doesn't seem to bother me, as I feel rested after eight hours of sleep and do not feel sleep deprived.  I don't like this sudden involuntary breathing.
My mom (52) has similar problem. Though it does not hurt but still is discomforting as the reason is not known. One person mentioned that it stopped for her after stopping neurotin. Hope for my mom also it stops.
She is currently taking TB medicine as well as Neurotin for partial seizures.
Avatar n tn
Are you using anything for allergies?
Viewing 201-276 comments: