Respiratory Disorders Community
The need to take deep breaths

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

The need to take deep breaths

My 15 year old daughter feels the need to take a deep breath.  She has complained for the past 3 months that she feels like she can't get a deep breath.  I pay attention and she does this on and off....she takes a deep breath.  She will complain at times and stated that she can't breath.  We have been to the Dr. and they have stated that since she had a healthy heart check, one year ago, and a breathing test 2 years ago.  Therefore, the Dr. stated that there is no need to do further testing on lungs or heart.  They are claiming it could be anxiety.  My daughter states that she isn't worried about anything but her breathing.  She had a histoy of ventricular tachycardia (with no reoccurence since the one major episode) is no longer on amiodarone or propranol since age of 5.  Do you have any suggestions?  Could it really be anxiety?  THANKS so much.
My 15 year old has the same problem but more than just that. She's been diagnosed with sever fibromyalshia (sp?) but we looked at LYME and other issue. Right now, the Cardio is saying she looks ok but is testing -- stress test and scan of the heart. Krysten is an athletic girl on her HS basketball team. She runs out of breath and in class claims she can't catch her breath.  ONE DOCTOR said: given she is stressed by school, Krysten puts a lot of pressure on herself and not sleeping well, since she doesn't get deep rim sleep, this affects breathing since she is exhausted.  More to come on this one. I think anxiety is an issue. We will be moving in this direction as tests are completed.

I recommend:  noting the time of day she mentions breathing problems - in school, what class and at home and in what situation (before or after homework) or just before bed... she may not be getting enough sleep ?
I feel exactly the same as your daughter!! Did anything ever get found out, my mum keeps saying it's anxiety but I don't think it is.
I am 53 and since I was a young teen, I've had the occasional feeling I had to keep taking deep breaths until it " worked " ... there would be times I wouldn't have that for weeks, then for no reason I can figure out, I'd get it for a day or two.  Is it food allergy?  I don't have indoor/outdoor allergies.  All I know is when it starts, I force myself to calmly breath a tiny faster than normal and every 5 take a big, lung-filling breath.  Usually it takes 3 cycles to get that "good" breath of air.  It can be frightening for some, young and old alike!  Paper bags are not recommended any more ( Red Cross ); It was never a anxiety attack for me, just suddenly I felt like I wasn't getting any air when I breathed in.         Well, it isn't fatal, thank goodness!

how long does this last for your daughter?  is it constant or just a few days a month?  i've been dealing with something similar since i was 11 (i'm now 39).  it seems to be related to my menstrual cycle.  it began when i hit puberty.  my mother and grandmother had the same problem - can't breath; can't take a deep enough breath.  it seems to hit right before or sometimes during my menstrual cycle.  does this sound familiar to anyone else?  no doctors seem to know what causes it though.  i just posted a question to see if anyone knew what it could be, then read this.  
I tried that breathing cycle technique thing and it sort of worked! I havn't noticed that mine comes with my menstruation, I just seem to get it all the time. At least there are other people that get it, not just me!
i also have this problem.. i am 19 and sometimes i will feel the need to take a deep breath because it feels as though i am not getting enough air. when i have asked about it, it has also been thought to be anxiety.
Perhaps it is that, or something else.When it happens, i get anxious and so it seems harder and harder to breath. it may have to do with that.
Good luck though, i hope that you can figure something out..

-Sebastian
Hello, I have the same symptopms and I am a 15 year old boy. I was never anxious about my breathing, therefore pretty sure its not anxiety. Sometimes I can take good breaths and sometimes I just can't. It goes On and Off all the time. It is very disturbing. I took my breathing test, heart check, chest x-ray and everything was fine. It's usually those big breaths that are harder to take. Also, some days are better that others.
Try Chronic Hyper Ventilation Syndrome (CHVS or HVS)... actual phyiscal condition usually brought on by anxiety.  I have had the exact same inability to get a good, deep breath and it feels like you can't breathe.  Read up on CHVS - our bodies are actually getting too much oxygen and not enough CO2.  Just search it on the internet and you'll find your answers.