Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Tobacco Smoke and Sinus problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Tobacco Smoke and Sinus problems

I am under the impression that one can not be allergic to cigarette smoke. Is this true? Every time I come in contact with tobacco smoke my sinus' clog, eyes water, and I get head aches. Most recently I attended a work related event populated with smokers and since then I have been experiencing severe sinus pressure, head aches, and aches in general. I must clear my nasal passage often and lately I have seen a thick mucus that is bright yellow in color. I am going on the nineth day with these symtoms (symptoms). Could I have some kind of allergy to tobacco smoke that has caused my sinus problems or is it just a coinsidence? I am not one to get sick very often, and I am reluctant to take medication, however I am open to your recommendation regarding my problems. Thank you for your time.
Ray

30 yr male in good physical condition. non smoker-don't drink-or use any drugs.
Sinusitis is an inflammation of the mucous membranes that line the sinus cavities.  Inflammation of the sinuses could be due to an allergy, an infection, or ongoing exposure to an irritant, such as pollution or smoke.  Cigarette smoke is not an allergen, but it is definitely an irritant.  Symptoms can include a headache or pressure in the area of the sinuses, a stuffy nose, achy teeth, an odor coming from the nose, postnasal drip, cough, sore throat, laryngitis, constant low fever, and thick, yellow to green nasal drainage.  A CT scan of the sinuses is the best way to identify sinusitis.

A nasal wash helps remove mucus and germs from the nose and sinuses.  This can temporarily decrease the postnasal drip and help your sinuses to drain better.  Please read our Nasal Wash MedFact at http://www.nationaljewish.org/medfacts/nasal.html for more information about this technique.  Share this information with your doctor to see if you would benefit from this daily treatment.
I have the exact same symptom. Clear thick Bright yellow mucus coming out of only one side of the nose when I blow, only I have no sinus pain. Just started today occured for 20 min and now I'm clear. Freaked me out because its a color I've never seen before. I called my Capital health link and they said I should put a steaming cloth over my face for 20 min. Increase the humidity in the room I sleep in. If it gets worse or other symptoms arise they said I should go to the doctor.

Could this just be a minor case of Sinusitis? If I do the above treatment will my suspected infected sinus clear up.

I do have the occational Cigar. One per week at most. I do not smoke cigarettes. I'm 30 and healthy