Respiratory Disorders Community
Upper back pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Upper back pain

I have noticed pain in the mid to upper part of my back when I exhale.  Any idea what it could be?
Sounds like a sore or pulled muscle... only other thing spinal stenosis
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The type of pain described by you is more consistent with a mechanical back pain, where in with movements like changes in posture or breathing, coughing and sneezing the pain is aggravated. Cough and sneezing cause the muscles to contract as a protective mechanism around the injured part and hence the pain. This is more common with small fractures or a herniated disc. So, I would advise you to consult your doctor at the earliest to rule out a fracture. A plain x ray may show up a fracture. But sometimes additional tests like CT, MRI, Myelogram and Bone Scan can provide additional information.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.