RESPIRATORY DISORDERS
COMMUNITY
Why do I get cramps under my rib cage (ie my lungs)?
by shiiloh, Mar 26, 2008
I don't know if I am quite in the right place for this question to be answered, but I think here may be a good place to start.

Now. I don't think it is anything serious but I would be intrigued to know why I get cramp under my rib cage (which looks like it is the lungs). It is very much like the stitch but in the wrong spot and I never get it after running or doing excercise.. like this morning for instance, all I was doing was walking around. I went to get my breakfast and there it was, the stitch that's in the wrong place.
The pain always occurs in the same place, in the left lung (or around because I don't know if it's to do with the lungs or muscles etc) just above my stomach.

Again. I don't think it is anything too chronic which is why I am on here not at my GP.. although if it does sound bad I think I will head off to see him.

Thanks for your help
Member Comments (86)
by Anthony450R, Apr 30, 2008
I was looking online for an anwer to the same question you have.  It is always after I eat.
by dkekic56, May 03, 2008
I have this same problem and am really having a hard time getting anyone to listen.  I get these cramps in my ribcage either side and every once in awhile both sides at the same time.  They are extremely painful.  I get them from laughing, reaching for things and sometimes for no reason at all.  Also by ribs are extremely tender to the touch, so tender that I can no longer wear a bra.  I have MS but the doctor says this is not MS related.  I have been told it is diabetes related but that is very much under control but the pains have not subsided.  My doctor has put me on muscle relaxers but they don't help either.  If anyone can tell us what this is I am sure we who suffer from this will be very appreciative.  
by JOEY1943, May 06, 2008
I HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR YEARS ,I HAVE A PARAYLIZED DIAPHRAM AND I AM HOPING THIS IS ONE OF THE CAUSES ,THE PULMONOLOGIST AND SURGEON THOUGHT IT WAS . I LIKE YOU HAVE THE PAIN ON BOTH SIDES OF MY RIB CAGE SOMETIMES AFTER EATING SOMETIMES IT JUST COMES I THOUGHT IT WAS FLATULANCE BUT AFTER MOVING EVERY WHICH WAY I COULD WITH NO RESULTS I REALIZED IT WASN'T THAT .I AM HAVING SURGERY ON MONDAY 5/12 AFTER AWHILE I WILL ADVISE YOU IF THIS CURES THE PROBLEM
by polcro13, Aug 07, 2008
I have sudden cramp on the right side of my rib cage, and i can see it ripple!!!It is so painfull at the same time i feel the need to burp and when i do so i can feel some relief.I have B12 injections every 3 months and take a daily 15mg of LANSOPRAZOLE for my stomach.I am always tired and nervous and have been for years ...Has anybody got a clue why i always feel so ****!!!
by bernie40, Aug 09, 2008
I get a really sharp pain in my left rib during the night, never in my right rib, it is so painful it wakes me up and I can't sit or stand upright for a good few minutes I have to stretch myself out slowly.  Its not my mattress because I've changed that and it made no difference.  Its probably around the third rib up from the bottom.  I have asthma and my breathing is always worse at night, I have persistent chest infections also but my gp won't send me for a chest x-ray, it must be over 5 years ago since I last had an x-ray.

It would be interesting to know what causes this and if there is anyway of relieving it.  I'm so glad this subject was mentioned because I was beginning to think I was just plain weird, lol!
by shiiloh, Aug 10, 2008
I was thinking... It might be a minor hernia.
It could be quite possible in my family, my nana got one, my aunty, her child and her grandchild got one, so... it's quite possible for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hernia

If you need more information.

Thanks for all your comments by the way. If I find out more, I'll type it here.
by canada1978, Sep 07, 2008
I get the pain in my left side. I have been to the doctor several times, and the ER  several times. They have ruled out heart attack.

I have good cholesterol levels, good blood pressure, EKG comes back perfect, blood work comes back normal.

The pain is sharp and is there with every deep breath. I have to take light breaths for a few minutes until the pain subsides.

I had been treated for anxiety, but I still got the pains. I know what heartburn is and it isn't that.

Lately I believe I get the pains after eating EGGS. Am I just imagining that? It seems after my pain goes away, I need to have a bowel movement.

Quite strange and no one can give me a diagnosis.
by snickers2001, Sep 08, 2008
I HAVE HAD THE CRAMPING IN BOTH SIDES OF RIBS AND IN MY BACK TOO IN THE RIB AREA, I ALWAYS GET CRAMPS WHEN I LAY ON MY BACK OR STOMACH, OR SOMETIMES JUST SITTING IT WILL COME ON  ,, VERY PAINFUL, IVE TOLD THE DR.S  BUT NO ANSWER.  IV'E TAKEN QUINNINE FOR 30 YRS FOR CRAMPING
by becca6642, Oct 14, 2008
I have the same EXACT problems, which have led me to this website... This initially occurred about 4 years ago, very mild and only under my right side rib cage it only occurred when I was doing crunches. It has progressed to what you have described. Now I can actually see a knot under the right ribe cage area when the spasm occurs. I you find anything out, let me know...