Why do I get cramps under my rib cage (ie my lungs)?
I don't know if I am quite in the right place for this question to be answered, but I think here may be a good place to start.

Now. I don't think it is anything serious but I would be intrigued to know why I get cramp under my rib cage (which looks like it is the lungs). It is very much like the stitch but in the wrong spot and I never get it after running or doing excercise.. like this morning for instance, all I was doing was walking around. I went to get my breakfast and there it was, the stitch that's in the wrong place.
The pain always occurs in the same place, in the left lung (or around because I don't know if it's to do with the lungs or muscles etc) just above my stomach.

Again. I don't think it is anything too chronic which is why I am on here not at my GP.. although if it does sound bad I think I will head off to see him.

Thanks for your help
I have the same pains. I thought your egg theory was interesting. I haven't had eggs in a long time, until yesterday, when the pains started. the eggs were hard boiled, when i eat regular eggs I'm fine, and eggs could cause this. I woke up this morning and felt fine, but then I had 2 Hard boiled eggs and the cramps returned. I'm just glad I'm not the only one with these cramps, I'm only 11 and I always come up with the worst possible outcomes, so I thought I cracked my rib cage and that I was slowly dying. I'm glad it's not just me and is probably only a cramp.
I have the same problem I've got the pain now its awful I even sweat with it that's how painful it gets i mainly get it on my left side and sometimes can have it 24 hrs at a time. Also it sometimes makes my belly button hurt I don't know if this is something ANYONE has heard of if so please please let us know it is so painful I need answers xx thanks Lisa xx
I have the same type of problem. Had it since I was around 7, I am now 26. I found that If I drink a bunch of water when its happening, it helps moisturize my lungs and releases it. Feels like the inside of my lungs are stuck together and I have to take short breaths until it pops or releases all at once.
I have what Feels like the inside of my left lung is stuck together and I have to take short breaths until it pops or releases all at once. Had it since I was around 7, I am now 26. I found that If I drink a bunch of water when its happening, it helps moisturize my lungs and releases it.
usually its just growing pains but always double check with your doctor i got them growing up so did my brother its common
but its better to be safe than sorry
COSTOCHONDRITIS PEOPLE!  
I have Facet Syndrome.  One of the issues is sudden shooting pain around my ribcage on reaching or twisting.  It makes it hurt to breathe.  Check with a Pain Management Specialist, or a Neurologist.  I received injections for the facet's and it is an amazing solution to my problem.  I also have severe pain in my lower  back and the injections for that have made it so I can walk without pain!!
hello. I know what u mean- it is very scary. i feel like my lungs are collapsing or that my upper stomach is twisting inside out.  it feels like i'm having a heart attack.  my doctor doesn't think it is anything, except stress. i disagree - something is wrong. i have an appt next week and plan to demand some tests.  good luck and kept trying to get the doctor's attention.
H.
I went to the ER while I was in new Mexico visiting family for severe side pain. The dr said he thinks I passed a kidney stone but I still have pain on one or both sides rights between my ribs and hip. It's been almost a month and the pain still comes and goes. Any suggestions??
Well guys I've been having these cramps on my left side of my breast I've been thinking its my heart bt I'm only 16 so I don't know and I google everything and I can't find any answers ? Can anybody help bt I get it bad then I strugle to breathe so I just can get the answers can it be from stress ???
HI,

I'm a 33 y/o healthy male.I have had these cramps now for 3-4 years. I was a smoker until about 18 months ago when I quit. When I quit smoking, I started weight training. Shortly after that, the constant pain in my chest stopped. It started by me noticing it less often to not at all. Then, last September, I got a bad cold and didn't go to the gym for about 2 weeks. The pain came back. I initially thought that it was back because of stress, but now I believe it has something to do with the muscles in my chest not being worked regularly.

I am on xmas vacation right now and just woke up with the same symptoms described in this thread (hurts when I breath deep (in or out), it is just below the left nipple. hurts more in I lay on my back, etc.)

I woke up worrying I was having a freaking heart attack, but calmed myself and kind of came here for reassurance.

Anyway, every time I get this pain is when I am away from the gym for extended periods of time. If I workout regularly, this never happens.

I hope some of you can try some exercises like push ups or bench press, whatever works for you. I am telling you, this works for me. Make sure to give it time to work (again, it took a couple of months for me). I will post something in a few weeks when I have gotten back into working out and the pain is gone.

Thanks.

Jason
I get these pains and I first thought I might be starting up my pnamonia (or however you spell it) again, because I usually got those pains the last few times I had it... and I wasn't having asthma at the moment so I thought maybe it was a sign of my first period... and also, I don't eat much and my family always thinks my pains are from not eating but this doesn't feel like that so if anyone can help me understand what's up with my ribcage that would be nice:D
I know this post was a long time ago. I just wondered if you got a definitive diagnosis. My first thought was how much you sound like me. Mine is actually sharp/stabbing to dull pain in the upper regions, that eventually leads to a diarrhea. They've finally just decided that it's acid reflux. I've noticed that they are probably right. I have had many trips to the ER, before and after my gallbladder was removed in '09. Removal didn't fix it, so I guess reflux is the culprit.
Hope all is well:)
hey bro its okay dont worry i have the same pain it happens on my right ribs though if it just cramps at random times and it hurts to breathe for like 2 minutes then it goes away then that means ur just inconsistent in working out or if u do any sports u dont have enough salt to conjure the sports so what i RECOMMEND doing is drinking room tempature Gatorade and run a few laps it should go away 1 month and a half
I have had the same pain in my ribs a few different times.  One particular time it hurt so bad on my left side right under where your underwire would be for a woman.  I went to the doctors the following day...my doctor is a holistic man, whom use to be a cardiologist.  He told me that it is a virus and he told me to take an anti-inflammatory (aleve).  It only took a few minutes after I took three and I felt better.  He said once you get it, you will get it easily from stress, anxiety, fatty foods, sodas, alcohol, lack of exercise, and not eat or drinking well when you are on a work out program.  I hope this helps all of you.  I know it ***** to have it, but it does help to know you are not crazy and there really is a pain there.  <3
Hey Terry, as you get older or heavier your body puts extra pressure on the muscle tissue on the external sections of your lungs, When you move the wrong way for instance, They tend to cramp. Lack of potassium makes it worse. Drinking to much coffee can really dehydrate you. Drinking alcohol as well.  This symptom is consistent with age, Stretching out gently for instance. Doing reach for the skies. or just laying in bed and extending gently can prime these muscles into a more gentle transition. Other wise the ladder is possible pleurisy. inhaling dust and not having enough water to flush it out can cause inflammation in the lungs as well. Usually, it is a muscular issue, But, if it persist, have the doctor run potassium levels on you, Stay hydrated. And due very subtle stretches in a low resistant mode.
Helllo was just wondering if you ever found the Article about the cramping in the Rib Cage ??    I get this and it is happing much more... I am 56 i have had 2 Open Heart surg's. My gallbladder has been removed also.. I also have a Pace-Maker in place.....  I am asking because like i said they are getting worse. it literly put's me to my knees...It comes on out of know where....   Any help would be greatful...
Can anybody offer advice or share similar symptoms?  I have very bad cramps under my right rib cage going around to my back, not a pain as such, just an extreme hot cramp which is pretty much permanent. Cramp feeling goes down to my groin. Have had ct scan, ultrasound and blood tests and all okay. Feels like a golf ball is getting squeezed under my rib cage. No fever but loss of appetite. Such an uncomfortable feeling. Part of the ct scan results stated There is no significant para aortic lymphadenopathy.
Multiple diverticula are noted in the sigmoid colon.  There is no evidence of diverticulitis.
Gas is noted in L4/L5 intervertebral disc in keeping with degeneration. I am taking buscopan and amoxicillin for diverticula but cramps are continuous always in same place under right rib cage to right of belly button. Am seeing consultant on Tuesday but would appreciate any help and guidance please. This is driving me crazy and affecting relationship with wife. No chest pain but dull ache in back right shoulder at top of shoulder. A bit shakey but that’s probably down to not eating! Help!
Funny.. I'm 35, had this off and on since my teens and do the same exact routine that you do to make it go away. I have to agree with you, it definitely works.
I have the cramping on the right side, back, mid rib cage. It is not COSTOCHONDRITIS, that occurs on the left side. It is breath taking, crippling and I need to find out what it is, what is causing it and hoping it can be stopped. I do vomit get nausiated. I had my gall bladder removed and have never been so sick in my life. Have been told kidneys or lung cancer or pancreas, but it is a servere pain.
I have rib cramps. my bloodwork came back with a vit. d deficency.  vit. d suppliment has all buy stopped them.
I started getting the muscle cramping in my rib cage area, mostly right side now, used to be on the left side lower rib cage are.  If I bend down or move certain way and laughing can trigger the episode.  It lasts for a minute to two and can be very painful as the muscle spasms and hardens, no matter what I do to stretch out the muscle or move around helps, staying still in certain positions has helped but not all the time .  The doctor has run all kinds of test, Vitamin D deficiency, electrolyte imbalance etc but nothing has helped so far.  The episodes come on randomly and can be pretty embarrassing and alarming to people who think I have a bigger problem.  if someone has a clue will appreciate a response. I just had a episode in my office and I'm just frustrated as the doctor does not know what is going on.
I had the same problem for about 4 months. It was a sharp pain in my left rib cage, generally on the last three at the bottom. This pain was getting worse and worse and no doctor could help me. I saw 4 different doctors and after many tests they found nothing at all. Finally I went to a naturopath and she recommended a Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis, this test shows mineral deficiency or excess of mineral in your body. Anyway the naturopath came up with a list of 20 things (food and products) that I have to avoid. At the beginning I taught I was a bit reluctant I thought I was wasting my time and money, but it proofs me wrong. Ever since I am following that list I feel good and the free of pain, but when I go back and eat what is wrong for me, the pain comes back. eg: one of the products to avoid is chicken,  I stop eating chicken just to try, but one day  a friend invite me for dinner and she cooked some sort of chicken stew, I didn't even think about my list, then that night at home I was again in pain. The list is personalized, so try to avoid chicken because it may be good for you. After following this list and the naturopath recommendations I am free of pain and my health has improved so much. I recommend this to everyone and I hope this help you all.
Sounds like a gall bladder problem ...ask for a  hida scan
i too hav the same pain.. i noticed when i eat eggs it makes the pain worse.. i dunno what it isor y any of us hav it. id like to kno y tho. if ne1 has an answer they can give us to help ease r minds id b grateful. i hav noticed that it helps ease the pain slightly if i lay on my back n put my legs up some. any answers?
hi dona I have the same symptoms and I got it 3 days ago. when I wake up its more than ever and it lasts throughout the day. so i cant even do that excersize then. ;( do you have any suggestions?
im 19 years old
Hi all,

I have the same problem for 5 years.  Went to doctor and they can't find anything wrong.  Somebody told me that I just need to take more liquid.  I drink at least 8 glasses of water each day or 64 fl oz of Gatorade.  Believe me, it works.  I have been pain free for 4 years now.  Good luck.
these are cramps or spasms, costrocondritis usually is pain in middle of chest when you take breaths, totally different feeling. i have had these rib cramps for 30 years with no help from doctors, i put pressure on the spot and just hold tight until it leaves. and no muscle relaxers doesnt help it is usually gone before the relaxers kick in. just saying
please look up pre-cordial catch, that sounds more like i have
I'm thinking since we all have the same-ish symptoms that its indigestion related. I was working and had my "off shift drink", ate a meal which was kind of spicy and a little bit later I had this pain, which I've had on and off for about a week now. This is something I've experienced since I was a child as well and everyone always told me it was ingestion/gas related. I think possibly when some of us with more sensitive stomachs eat or drink certain things, our bodies act in more bizarre ways then most people. That also could explain why when some if you had gone to the doc for it all your tests showed back positive results. I'm really hoping this is the reason because although painful, its not as bad as it could be if it were something worse like pneumonia (which I have had and it felt similar) or a lung disease. Anyways, I know this post is from years ago but I'm hoping it helps anyone who stumbles across this in the future. :)
I have this too and my friend gets it even worse than me, it like a massive stab and hurts so much you cant move and have to breathe really shallow breaths so it doesn't hurt as much. I looked it up and read through a blog with many people with the same symptoms from there I found out about this syndrome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precordial_catch_syndrome . The website explains all of my symptoms and also says that it is harmless and gets better with age, so I guess we just have to wait :/ As for other people who seem to have different symptoms where it hurts their right side and back, I don't know.
I hope by now you found the answer. I get the rib cramps when I sweat a lot; it is a lack of potassium and sodium (drink Powerade- I drink the zero calorie). When I am overworked, tired, stretch the wrong way or cold I get the cramping as well. Some times if I cough or move to another angle they ease up. I have used 3 aspirin and store bought leg cramp pills as a quick fix.
I am experiencing the same problem..  I read that pickle juice (the brine in the Jar) can actually help..   IT WORKS... For me at least..  I have kept a jar of pickles in the refrigerator for those nights when the pain comes on without any explanation.. the pain is gone within minutes of taking the pickle juice.. I would say about an ounce works for me..  I don't know why it works, How it works, or if it is just my mind.. but it reduces the cramp to zero.  Just putting this out there in case anyone wants to give it a try..  
Hemochromatosis is your answer.  The in abliity to rid your body of iron.  I have had the same problem for years and now it is being treated an no more cramps in the ribs.  DO NOT TAKE supplements to correct.  It will only make it worse.  Look it up.
Hi I have some severe health problems as well and get these same crampings under my right rib cage as well. I had a pulmonary embolism almost a year ago and am always on the lookout for more clots. I also have degenerative disc disc, faccet arthritis, stenosis, flattening of the spine, an enlarged spleen, and neuropathy in the legs. I have been on multiple medications for nerve pain, depression, and chronic back pain. I am also 37 years old and have been told someone my age shouldnt have these health issues. I hope someone can explain this.
i to have this problem, im 48 male and i sometimes get these cramps around my ribcage and the are excruciating, they throw me to the floor, seeking a position that will make the cramp subside , how ever it aint that easy, i get it to go fer a few seconds and wham there it is throwing me around the room again, i have had these on occasion since  like my early 20's  now i do have bad lungs, beginning emphysema unfortunately, so i worry that its not like cancer, i do get leg cramps also never at the same time i think i would jump out a window if that ever happened, but that makes me think maybe its just cramps i get, but i have no answers no clue how to stop it, my doctor really does not much to help me, no pain meds he thinks i just want drugs, total BS. so i just live with pain and it sux!!! any thoughts?
Hmm,. i never thought i'd see so many ppl having same "rib cramps" problem. I first had it when i was 16 years old on the right side of my chest precisely under my "****", my mom drove me to a doctor, he said it has nothing to do with the heart, just the muscles between the ribs pulling together. So he gave me a shot which would relax my muscles, and yes it did. I felt so relax, i laid on my bed for HOURS without moving.
He advised me to take pain killers, whenever i get the cramps. I'm 25 now. I still get cramps but more than i use to back then and lately i get the pain on several spots, at the back side of my ribs, under my arms and under my "****" but it always on the right side of my chest, i just didn't know what causes it.
I don't know if i should be glad now that i know its a "common" problem. I do stretch, every time i get the cramps, it helps a little, then the pain comes back again.

I take tablets for the pain like the Doctor advised me, but now im thinking whether i really should be doing that, specially now. Cuz i noticed from few years ago, i use to take 2 tablets a day for the pain then its gone for weeks, maybe a month or 2., now i'm taking 2 tablets twice sometimes 3 times a day just to kill the pain and i feel the cramps every week almost. >.< .. Should i quit taking pain killers? guess I've been building immunity against the pain killers. The pain is bare able, but damn it hurts A LOT..
you described it perfectly - it's usually when I reach around or bend too far and it's like a sharp "catch " in the side - I have not been able to wear regular bras for some time - I just wear stretchy tank tops . but in the summer heat this is causing skin on skin rash under my breast area, hence another problem . Back to the cramp. It catches and the only relief I can get is to stretch arms upward , or use rapid breathing technique (much like used in labor) that seems to release/ relieve the spasm . Had one in the car while driving though and that left  pain like a bruise cause had to just wait it out while driving, found out cursing does not alleviate the cramp at all ! Would love to find bras that would breath/expand  but even the front close sports bras don't seem to help - the very sensation of them along the ribs sets me off into a spasm again. Is there any hope ? Can't even have a good hearty laugh as this causes them , too.  God bless us all.
yeah some doctors are not very sympathetic are they? wonder sometimes why they ever became doctors!!!!! and to blame peoples real concerns and pain on wanting attention to hypochondria is appalling and all gp consultation rooms should have cctv to protect the public from over power stricken doctors!
I just started getting the cramps there too. Get your bloodwork checked and make sure you don't have any defiencies. I'm diabetic and we are prone to cramps but usually in the legs and feet. My father was exposed to Agent Orange so I was too. I've always had weird symptoms my whole life. But, I just found out I was severely low in Vitamin D and borderline anemic. I take supplements but just ran out. You need magnesium for your muscles, when I started that plus the potassium and zinc the calf cramps ended. (80 percent of Americans are deficient in Magnesium. Gee, wonder why we have so much heart disease) You might try soaking in a tub with Epsom salts. The Magnesium can get into your system like that but no soap as is blocks absorption.
I know that you posted your question about the cramps in 2008, but I wanted to answer just in case you were still having issues with it. I have been having the same problem lately and after doing a lot of reading I found out that  vitamin D3 deficiency can cause cause cramping or muscle spasms
( as the doctor refers to them ) there are others things that can cause it too, such as diabetes. It said that vitamin D3 is best absorbed when eating calcium. Maybe that means to drink a glass of milk with your vitamin D pill ??  And leafy greens are rich in vitamin D. I'm sure you can look up the other foods that are rich in vitamin D. I also starting taking "Highlands Leg Cramp Pills" and they've helped me a lot! Even though my cramps are not in my legs, they still work for body cramps. I hope this helps you, if you haven't already solved the problem. Blessed Be!
Finally, someone who has the same symptoms as I have.  When I reach to the back seat in the car, or reach down and to my left to pick something up or pull up my socks.  How much potassium do you take.  I've been told you have to be careful with potassium.
I also get cramps in my calves and feet.  I thought it was from the statin drugs.
Carol
I get the same cramps too. Just beneath the lower part of my ribs. They are very severe - like giving birth - maybe worse. Sometimes one side, sometimes both. I just had it happen tonight - maybe the worst ever. Usually I get them after I've been standing for an hour or more. They subside for a moment, then wham it happens again and again. Occasion it happens when I do something simple like reaching down to pick up something. After trying potassium and drinking large amounts of water, stretching and other suggestions I'm starting to think it has something to do with my diagram not enough oxygen. It takes 15 minutes or so of deep breathing before it subsides. Whether it would subside without the deep breathing is unknown.
That is so strange...  I am having similar issues to what most people on here are describing.  Usually Pain on left side of rib cage...  As someone else stated I also feel it about 3RD to 4TH ribcage up from bottom rib. Sometimes it wrapps around and sometimes is just in a small area.  Sometimes if i pinpoint the pain I can roughly massage it out...  but it is very painful and sometimes massaging it out doesnt even help or only temporarily.  The pain usually seems to subside after several minutes but can last hours.  Ive had the pain linger throughout the day and into the night making it difficult to sleep.  I am trying to pay more attention to when I get these cramps..  seems to be completely random...  but maybe its when im siotting at a desk at work for extended periods of time..  or maybe it is certain foods which brings me to why I am commenting on this post...  I also seem to possibly be getting these rib pains after eating EGGS as well.  I ate eggs this morning and after they started..  but i feel like i get these on days/times when I havent eaten eggs...?  The pain can be anywhere from very uncomfortable to almost excruciating..  radiating/wrapping around my rib cage.  Usually the pain seems to be as i said about 3rd rib cage up and slightly to the front...  If i hang my arms to my side, typically  the pain is just in front of my arms at the stated rib cage location.  Some of these posts are from 2008...  I havent looked at the dates for all of these posts..  but has any further diagnosis(es) or information on this issue since then or in general?  Is this NERVE PAIN? MUSCLE PAIN? or LIGAMENT PAIN? would love more information on what is going on with my body.  I am 29 and this started about a year ago maybe less sometimes at the age of 28.  Dont know if age has ANYTHING to do with this..  but figured i'd document that nonetheless.  Thanks for reading and posssibly answering my questions the best anyone can. :)
I feel the same way and if I lay down when this is happening it gets worse if you could tell me why it is please do I feel like I'm dying!!!!
I have it sometimes, too, and yes the pain is incredibly horrible, so I just wanna share how I relieve it. It usually happens right after I stretch, so when it starts to happen, I would feel my rib muscles start to twitch a bit, before the little twitch becomes a spasm I have to immediately take a deep breath to inflate my lungs, this somehow keeps the muscle from retracting, and then you breathe shallowly and rapidly to keep the lungs expanded. When you feel the twitch is pretty much gone, slowly decrease your lungs' expansion while in the mean time maintaining shallow breaths, until you breathe normally and the spasm is gone.
I have similar issues when I found that I'm a Starseed,.. Maybe it's a signal and I'll always seeing 11:11 and 1:11
I have suffered from these horrible side cramps for 10 years!  If I reached for something I would cramp, or if I twisted or turned a certain way, I would scream with cramps.  After much research and coming to this site, I found an answer from heaven!  MAGNESIUM!!  After taking this at night for two days I have never had another cramp!  For 10 years and every doctor I went to, no one even suggested Magnesium!  Now it has been 30 days of stretching and pulling and twisting and turning, and not one cramp!  After the second day I felt twinges but no pain, and after 5 days, not even the twinges were present!  I know this will not cover everyone&#39;s problem here, but I was suffering and this works, and I wanted to share this so hopefully it can help someone else.  The cramps were so bad I would scream and they were lasting longer and longer and getting much worse!  So what I gather was, I had a Magnesium deficiency and potassium over a period of time made my cramps worse!   I now take a High Absorption Magnesium for Leg Cramps, Eases Restless Leg - with B6, D and E, Clinically Tested - 380mg Magnesium Oxide Mono Hydrate Per Capsule, 60 Servings, 1 capsule a day!  - No Artificial Colors, No Stearates, no gluten... The product is from MgSport! You may find a better or less expensive Magnesium product, but all I know is mine works and I am so thankful!  
Thank You!  Im so tired of this unexplained painful issue.  Grateful other people have been able to share with each other here.
Dear sunndaysall, i have exact same thing. Cramps/ charlie horse under ribs. Its been like forever and been to alot of doctors.  Gunna give the magnesium a try. I hope this works. The pain is unbearable at times that i feel like im dying.