Respiratory Disorders Community
Why do I get cramps under my rib cage (ie my lungs)?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I don't know if I am quite in the right place for this question to be answered, but I think here may be a good place to start.

Now. I don't think it is anything serious but I would be intrigued to know why I get cramp under my rib cage (which looks like it is the lungs). It is very much like the stitch but in the wrong spot and I never get it after running or doing excercise.. like this morning for instance, all I was doing was walking around. I went to get my breakfast and there it was, the stitch that's in the wrong place.
The pain always occurs in the same place, in the left lung (or around because I don't know if it's to do with the lungs or muscles etc) just above my stomach.

Again. I don't think it is anything too chronic which is why I am on here not at my GP.. although if it does sound bad I think I will head off to see him.

Thanks for your help
I was looking online for an anwer to the same question you have.  It is always after I eat.
I have this same problem and am really having a hard time getting anyone to listen.  I get these cramps in my ribcage either side and every once in awhile both sides at the same time.  They are extremely painful.  I get them from laughing, reaching for things and sometimes for no reason at all.  Also by ribs are extremely tender to the touch, so tender that I can no longer wear a bra.  I have MS but the doctor says this is not MS related.  I have been told it is diabetes related but that is very much under control but the pains have not subsided.  My doctor has put me on muscle relaxers but they don't help either.  If anyone can tell us what this is I am sure we who suffer from this will be very appreciative.  
I HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR YEARS ,I HAVE A PARAYLIZED DIAPHRAM AND I AM HOPING THIS IS ONE OF THE CAUSES ,THE PULMONOLOGIST AND SURGEON THOUGHT IT WAS . I LIKE YOU HAVE THE PAIN ON BOTH SIDES OF MY RIB CAGE SOMETIMES AFTER EATING SOMETIMES IT JUST COMES I THOUGHT IT WAS FLATULANCE BUT AFTER MOVING EVERY WHICH WAY I COULD WITH NO RESULTS I REALIZED IT WASN'T THAT .I AM HAVING SURGERY ON MONDAY 5/12 AFTER AWHILE I WILL ADVISE YOU IF THIS CURES THE PROBLEM
I have sudden cramp on the right side of my rib cage, and i can see it ripple!!!It is so painfull at the same time i feel the need to burp and when i do so i can feel some relief.I have B12 injections every 3 months and take a daily 15mg of LANSOPRAZOLE for my stomach.I am always tired and nervous and have been for years ...Has anybody got a clue why i always feel so ****!!!
I get a really sharp pain in my left rib during the night, never in my right rib, it is so painful it wakes me up and I can't sit or stand upright for a good few minutes I have to stretch myself out slowly.  Its not my mattress because I've changed that and it made no difference.  Its probably around the third rib up from the bottom.  I have asthma and my breathing is always worse at night, I have persistent chest infections also but my gp won't send me for a chest x-ray, it must be over 5 years ago since I last had an x-ray.

It would be interesting to know what causes this and if there is anyway of relieving it.  I'm so glad this subject was mentioned because I was beginning to think I was just plain weird, lol!
I was thinking... It might be a minor hernia.
It could be quite possible in my family, my nana got one, my aunty, her child and her grandchild got one, so... it's quite possible for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hernia

If you need more information.

Thanks for all your comments by the way. If I find out more, I'll type it here.
I get the pain in my left side. I have been to the doctor several times, and the ER  several times. They have ruled out heart attack.

I have good cholesterol levels, good blood pressure, EKG comes back perfect, blood work comes back normal.

The pain is sharp and is there with every deep breath. I have to take light breaths for a few minutes until the pain subsides.

I had been treated for anxiety, but I still got the pains. I know what heartburn is and it isn't that.

Lately I believe I get the pains after eating EGGS. Am I just imagining that? It seems after my pain goes away, I need to have a bowel movement.

Quite strange and no one can give me a diagnosis.
I HAVE HAD THE CRAMPING IN BOTH SIDES OF RIBS AND IN MY BACK TOO IN THE RIB AREA, I ALWAYS GET CRAMPS WHEN I LAY ON MY BACK OR STOMACH, OR SOMETIMES JUST SITTING IT WILL COME ON  ,, VERY PAINFUL, IVE TOLD THE DR.S  BUT NO ANSWER.  IV'E TAKEN QUINNINE FOR 30 YRS FOR CRAMPING
I have the same EXACT problems, which have led me to this website... This initially occurred about 4 years ago, very mild and only under my right side rib cage it only occurred when I was doing crunches. It has progressed to what you have described. Now I can actually see a knot under the right ribe cage area when the spasm occurs. I you find anything out, let me know...
Well I havent been to a doctor yet but my cramps come in my lower rib cage and back on the left side only. This has been been aconsistant dull pain for about two weeks now . I am a fairly heathy woman of 29 yrs old. Being a bit  overweight is my biggest problem.Im just tring to see if anyone finds using natural remidies helpful.Or anything else for that matter.                    Thanks....
I had gall bladder surgery about 2 years ago and ever since I have severe cramping between my ribs and in my chest area.  It hurts to wear a bra all the time.  10 months prior to my surgery I fell going down a set of stairs, when I fell I reached for the banister and was closer than I thought and banged my ribs.  My Dr. is sending me for PT, but I don't think it is going to help.  If anyone could help it would be wonderful.  I was 37 when I fell and now since that I feel like I am 90!
Thank you all.
This type of sharp temporary cramping pain under the left ribcage is extremely common. It's actually nothing to do with your heart at all. Basically it's a real grey area but many doctor's believe that it's to do with a trapped nerve. There is a proper medical name for this but I can't find the article that I originally read about it.

Basically it's completely common, harmless, and should not be taken as a symptom of something bad.
I too have the same cramping proble.
I just spent half hour on my back stretched out. Sometimes hanging from my arms on a bannister helps.
One side goes then the other. I'd like to believe there are common reasons but:
I am healthy, completely.
I have not diabetes or fibremielga.
Lots of water & good food.
I am active, might be stress related though.
There MUST be a good reason for such a reaction.
My sister gets them too.
My Son is 14 nearly 15 and is a keen footballer.  He complains on and off about a stitch type pain in his chest usuall after and then for a few weeks after a match.  I took him to see the GP and he said his heart is fine and chest is clear.  The difference however is that he also describes the pain as if fluid is stuck and when he jumps up and down he can hear it 'sloshing'!!! ???
We don't hear anything for a while and then it comes back.  Today he said the same symptoms are there but this time towards the back of the chest.  He said I just want someone to thump it.  His dad did have a go at massaging and thumping a little and he said it helped but has moved further down..

My son is worried that something serious is going on! Obviously as his mother I too am slightly on edge, but doctor has ruled out heart!

If anyone knows where I should go to check this further? I had thought to take him to the Physio and mention to her?

Is this normal in Young People who do a lot of physical Sport??

Hope to hear from someone.....
I have the same problem. Mine mainly happens when I am in my truck and try to reach back behind the seat to get something. I started taking Potassium supplements in the morning when I get up. It has helped a lot. I do still get the cramps, but not near as often. The Potassium I take can be found at any grocery store. In the vitamin section. Yall may try that and see if it helps you to.
Hey ganjahines, I'm 14...almost 15. I'm a girl, I play soccer, I'm probably less active than your son but the same happens to me, I have no idea why...but it does. I don't have an answer, but I just wanted to let you know that there's another young person out there that has this.
I get this pain offten.. and a few times have got all silly thinking it was my heart or something because i smoke, am asthmatic and i have realy anxity problems but my partner told me it was probabley a cramp or something... anyway it happens always on the left side.... mesometimes it hurts wearing a bra but its strange too explain a few of you said like a stich type pain and yeah thats a good word too explain it, Sometimes it starts just like that, i can be on the sofa watching telly, playing with my son or even in the car :S.. Anyway i havn't gone too the docters about it... But i have been worried until i saw there are many other people too that seem too have the same problem
I too, have had a strange cramping happen on the left side of my chest since I was very young.  It felt like a cramp in my heart and I would have to take a deep breath real quick which would cause the pain to get much worse, but then would feel like something "popped" and the pain went away completely.  Then I took a serious fall on my chest 6yrs ago and now have this cramping throughout my chest daily.  My chest has felt very tight lately due to a bout with bronchitis.  I believe what we're all feeling is called Costochondritis.  Here is a copy and paste of just one site.  Just google for more info.

Costochondritis

Costochondritis is an inflammation of a rib or the cartilage connecting a rib. This is a common cause of chest-wall pain. Inflammation or injury involving the chest muscles is another common cause of chest-wall pain.

Symptoms of Costochondritis

The problem is marked by chest tightness and sharp pain that worsens when you move or breathe deeply. The pain may spread to the arm and may occur in more than one place.

In the beginning the pain is usually worse and it hurts to breathe, wear a bra or move suddenly. Eventually the pain subsides to a dull, constant ache or tenderness in the ribs. The cause of this condition is usually unknown but it can be the result of trauma to the rib cage, a viral infection or part of an inflammatory disease. The symptoms usually disappear spontaneously within eight weeks but sometimes it takes up to a year and in some individuals it remains a chronic condition. When it is a chronic condition the pain seems to wax and wane and any sudden movement or lifting of heavy objects could make the condition worse.

Some sufferers start thinking that there is something wrong with their lungs when they start finding difficulty in breathing. However there is no reason for alarm. This happens because due to the swelling around the ribs, the lungs cannot expand fully.

Stress contributes to the pain because it makes the muscles tense. Other things which hurt are lifting, pushing, pulling, sneezing, coughing, long hours of driving or using the computer, repetitive motions and caffeine. Cold, rainy and humid weather also make a lot of sufferers feel worse. Ideally these situations should be avoided but where it is not possible it is important that they be carried out with care.
This is ganjahines and unfortunately my sons symptoms were serious. Took him to GP who was concearned about his left lung, sent him for xray. I was called in and informed his lung had collapsed! The sloshing noise was infact his deflated lung! He was Blue Lighted to a hospital in another city and in Intensive Care for 4 days. Fortunately they sorted him out and he is now back doing his sport and free from his discomfort!
I get the same symptoms that alot of you are describing.
I do get a tight chest pain at times, that my doctor says id from anxiety.
However, I have once before, and am just starting to again, suffer from Gastric Reflux.
It is the worst at night, and especially whilst lying down if I haven't waited 3 hours after eating a meal. And I've only recently discovered, eating garlic is one of the worst things.
I have almost taken myself to emergency at hospital in the past, honestly believing I was having a heart attack, or just about to.
Every night, I have bad pain in my chest, but almost all is on my left side, sometimes below my breast, mostly above. it goes around to my back, and down my left arm. I also sometimes have regurgitation, especially while lying down. Scary, however, I have had ECG's done, nothing wrong with my heart, all from REFLUX. I have been prescribed NEXIUM tablets for this, and have just started taking them again, and they get rid of pain.......
I'm 38 now, and I've had this problem since I was a teenager.  

The pain is sharp and is there with every deep breath. So I have to take shallow breaths for a few minutes until the pain subsides.  (just like some of you described above... which are symptoms of costochondritis as someone mentioned.)

Only over the past 5 years, I've found something that helps to prevent the problem.  Everyday (or every chance I remember) I will BREATHE VERY DEEPLY to fill my lungs as full as I can... then hold my nose and PUSH my lungs to expand them.  I will then stand and lean and stretch to the left and then to the right.  This STRETCHES my lungs and expands them.  I think it helps to stretch out the lining of the lungs.  

That is the only thing that has helped me.  And it works really well.  You can't do this exercise while you're having a cramp...  you have to do this stretching when you feel good... and it'll help prevent the cramps.

It took me about 25 years to figure this out!  I hope it will help you too.

Donna
Exactly the same as Donna. We are even the same age.  Only I can remember having this back to childhood.  One trick I've done is, during a cramp I hunch over and breath out as completely as possible.  Then without breathing in, expand my diaphragm and pull a weak vacuum in my lungs.  I can then put my fingers a little under my ribcage and occasionally palpate the area that is cramping.  Surprisingly when this is possible, I can push them like gas trapped between the tissue.  This helps disperse the cramp. This makes me think it is some kind of de-lamination of soft tissue where, somehow, gasses collect causing pressure along the tissue junction.  Just an idea.
I get these cramps in my ribcage either side and every once in awhile both sides at the same time.  I been told that I have CHD. and the my doctor gave me something for my heart. Since my medication is making my body loose patasium. this is the reson I get these pain in my ribs. If anyone has this problem. get your blood tested and see if your potasium level is low. Most of the time that is the main reson. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE AND GOD BLESS .
am 37y/o , i have this prb since 10 months .
The pain is sharp under my ribs  cage  plus back pain somtimes so funny becoz its move in many places sometimes in middle of back other times on my right side of my back  and is there with every deep breath , all my test are ok test blood and also the doctore say after the camera in my stomach that its ok .......but really what confuse  that much poeples in internet who have the same prb but till now i didnt find any right answer ....so i hope if any one can pls  help me and tell me any idea . and thanks.
I was sick with a cold, then it went to my sinuses, and then it dropped into my lungs.  For the past couple of days, I have been cramping like crazy in both my lungs and trying to counter stretch only seems to intensify the other side.  I'm not too sure why or what is happening to me, but my cramping usually follows after I done a lot of coughing prior to the cramps.  I take a variety of vitamins, but maybe some more potassium may help?  I guess it is worth a try.
The past few days I have had uncomfotable cramping underneath my rib cage as well...I have been searching to see if anyone else has had the same symptoms. Its weird because it doesn't do it all day. It comes and goes. I don't think its my lungs. Its right underneath both sides of my ribcage and it almost feels like they are charlie horses or something. The only way it feels better is when I slouch if that makes since!
This morning I was walking back to my office with a few sheets of paper and got a “cramp” that felt like it was in my heart – I could actually feel it radiate sideways to the right in a four inch band that ran underneath my arms until it met up at my heart. Then the cramping went down my back to my waist. My front left half side and my back right half side were the larger areas cramping. Slightly cramping it traveled in a thin line to my right jaw where it ended. What mean by that is it was contained in only those areas. I tried not to think it was a heart attack even when I felt light momentarily. When I seen the orange I had peeled, I just got this urge to eat it which actually alleviated my discomfort. When I swallowed, it felt like it moved through something. Now I’m craving oranges. This incidence lasted maybe 30-40 seconds. I didn't experience any sharp pain. Since that happened I feel very tired and somewhat weak. This was the first and I hope the last incident like this. I believe it’s a wakeup call; giving me the chance to get my personal affairs in order and I’m listening.
I wonder how many of these cramps are happening to people who take drugs for elevated cholesterol. I think "statin" drugs are murder on the muscles. I've been getting them for years as, and my doctor told me to drink tonic water. I'd rather have the cramps, that stuff is awful. However, they are annoying an painful. I've been on a statin drug over 25 years. The cramp always comes in 3's. Cramp, stop, cramp, stop, cramp, stop and, at the end of the last cramp, a flutter. I older I get the worse it gets.
i have the same rib problem .... and i have tm .. transverse myletis ... go figure ..
I get it now and then and its realy painfull, like today I was standing in the kitchen holding my sister in laws baby and chating to her and the next moment I got these pains left side ribs and it was like 3times after the next.
cold water help me and took the cramps away very fast .just telling you something i stumbled when i was taking a shower and my two ribs cramps happened. i decided really fast to turn the water the coldest and less than a minutes the cramps where gone. hope this helps .
i have this problem i told my doctor and nothing it happen to me when im reach to gel something like putting my girl the seat belt or something like that. is actually in the side not in the chest. and is really painfull. i know cramps are usually that your body need pottasium ..
hi, i got the similar problem, normally 2 noted condition i went through

1. sharp pain under the left ribs (never the right), pain mainly breathing related. i only have sharp pain if my chest is expanding but it went away in seconds most of the time, i had one which last longer and i thought i was going to die cos i cant breath as breathing was too painful that i had to take short shallow breath and grasping for air.  sometimes the pain occurs at the back and it feels like someone stabbed me with a samurai sword from behind and pierce through the left chest

2. dull pain where it feels like someone is pressing my left ribcage, tight feeling when breathing and the pain stays up to couple of hours, sometimes appears when sneeze
I have this problem too. I suspect it's a calcium deficiency. The anxiety a lot of people are describing could be from that too.
I have the same issue as most people here posted. I get the usual cramps from running, but sometimes the pain stays long after i stop. Its a throbbing pain underneath the right side of my ribcage. I try stretching this side but it doesnt really help. I had a similar pain once when i went on a rollercoaster, my heart felt like very sharp pains. I had heart sugery when i was 3 (there was a hole), but im pretty healthy atm (im 18 years old). I think it might have something to do with gases, as i have alot of stomach problems.
hey canada i have the same problem from time to time, maybe this is the same thing,

when i was 13 i spent many days at the town pool and one night after spending all day at the pool diving for things in the deep end and holding my breath as long as i could down there, i woke up in the middle of the night in extreme chest pains mainly when i took deep breathes like u. my parents took me to the ER as i was in so much pain and after all my tests my doctor concluded that the Lungs are a muscle and can be strained or "pulled" if u will like any muscle, he basically said i over worked it and i needed take some time off and not do any exercise that would get me breathing heavy so i did, i had this pain almost everyday for a few weeks then, it was once a week to once a month and now i'm 25 and i get this pain maybe randomly for a few minutes once in a blue moon(maybe every 6-7 monthes), i just stop and take light breathes and it goes away, so i dont know if the doctor was right but it did go away over time like he said it would so i hope this helps, i honestly cant remember the last time i had the pains now maybe a year or so :)
I also get the cramps in my rib cage, and it is like a contraction and lasts too long sometimes. It usually happens when I am sitting in a slanted position on the bed, watching T.V. or it can happens when I bend over to  pick up something. I never had cramps in this area until I had surgery in 06 for a dissecting aneurysm, I was use to having cramps in other areas, like my feet and legs, but never in my rib cage. I did lose weight, and developed bronchitis so I have been coughing a lot ever since. The doctor just ignores me and tells me to drink quinine water. I am tired of this, I am taking magnesium and I try to eat well. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has this problem.
i have something similar to what many people are describing here, my pain is in the left lower chest upper rib area, it gives the sensation of a know being there but i cant feel anything, sometimes it give off a soarness that radiates to the back just opposite of it, i find myself lifting my arms and doing odd stretches to try and satisfy it, every once in a blue i'll find a stretch that seems to make if feel better, i swear its just like a cramp, and here is the kicker, alot of times it will give a bubbling sensation that almost seems as if fluid is revealing from something, and itll feel better for a moment , over all this issue has come and gone for a couple of years now E.R couldnt find anything, it doesnt seem to be associated with my stomach, its to far off to the left and up, this feels like its behind my rib cage, it doesnt seem associated to the heart either.. its just weird
I as well have this problem and have since I was 13. I still remember the first attack as if it was yesterday. I was letting the dog in from out side, and before I made it back in from the porch I had a spasm just under the left breast just to the left of the chest. Mostly it happens on the left side, but periodically I get it on the right as if mirrored, same place right side.

I have had my potassium checked, and it is fine. My cholestral is in good shape. I'm slightly over weight, mild asthma when exposed to dust. I know it isn't acid reflux since I also get that. I know it isn't condritus but it may be related, or so the doctors have thought. Except that the cramps are short term and when the condritus flares up it is days.

Most of the time the attacks are caused by some movement, laughter, or sometimes they happen for no reason, I often wake up with them. I am not sure if other things I have going on are connected or not. Every morning I wake up with a sore throught, and my nose is so sore and dry I can barely touch it. I know I am a heavy snorer. I also suffer from poor circulation, all though my blood pressure is always good, I wake up a dozen times during the course of the night from pain in one of my arms from the blood flow being cut off.

An ER doc thought it had to do with an inflamation (inflammation) of the cartiledge which I am prone too. MY personal doc tells me to loose weight and quit smoking. I was fairly well built until I was 19 and then started gaining weight and I didn't smoke until I was 19 as well. I had already suffered 6 years with the problem. I think being told to diet and quit smoking is a ploy for I don't know, or I don't want to bother figuring it out.

The only relief I find is laying down on the cramp and putting as much weight on it as I can. The pain is so debilitating I can hardly breath, I can't find a comfortable position. I can only say that when the cramp is there. I feel like I'm  going to die, it brings tears to my eyes, and I can hardly speak. I'm getting really fed up with it.
I was told to start taking vitamins , with a supplement of potassium.  This has helped me reduce the cramps in my muscles. I still have a cramp from time to time but they have decreased since taking vitamins. Eat more bananas they have potassium in them too. Good luck!!
My 8 yr old daughter has been complainig of pain in her left lung for years. I took her to er once they xrayed and said they couldnt find nething but she is still complaing and crying. Im taking her to her dr and I will get to the bottom of this. Ill keep u updated.
well sometimes after you eat you might get cramps or even when you run but my friend said if you are a girl and you get crampes on your lower abdomin (abdomen) or in the center of your ribs it means your going to get your period
i have it to and im only 11. i was running in gym 2 laps and suddenly out of no where my ribs or lungs started to hurt i dont know what it was
Sometimes its just winds-and it could also be inflammation of the chest bone/rib cage. This is nothing serious though. You get inflammatory tablets that you can drink-dissolvable tabs.
I use to get a feeling like there is water on my lungs, it was sore when I use to breath, but the inflammatories worked for me ;)
Im 18 and i just started getting this pain a few days ago. I was really sick and my whole body hurt. Laying on my side out of no where i had this sharp pain in my ribs. It felt like i had to burp or something i thought it was just because i was sick so i just let it go. I felt a lot better later on that night but after i had gone to bed i was woken up around 8am in so much pain i tried rolling on my side, back, bending my legs a little and laying on my side helped a little i was able to fall back to sleep for a few more hours but was woken up again because of pain.

Iv never had pain like this before other then in my back but that was form something that happened last year in my gym class. So i wasn't sure what to think it was. I asked friends but no one knew what it was i had just asked my boyfriend about it because i live with him so i thought id let him know and he didn't know anything about what it was. I have tried muscle relaxers i had to stop taking for my back because they do nothing to help that pain at all but that didn't help with my rib pain. It does just randomly come out of no where but it doesn't hurt when i wear a bra and its not just on one side its everywhere in and around my ribs. So i just thought i should look it up now just in case it could get any worse(why not look it up while its still new and kinda small and to see if other people have it and its not just me).

So far what i have read helps and tells me a lot and that im not the only one :)
Ill have to show my boyfriend what i have found in the morning but i thought id share.
I have the same pains. I thought your egg theory was interesting. I haven't had eggs in a long time, until yesterday, when the pains started. the eggs were hard boiled, when i eat regular eggs I'm fine, and eggs could cause this. I woke up this morning and felt fine, but then I had 2 Hard boiled eggs and the cramps returned. I'm just glad I'm not the only one with these cramps, I'm only 11 and I always come up with the worst possible outcomes, so I thought I cracked my rib cage and that I was slowly dying. I'm glad it's not just me and is probably only a cramp.
I have the same problem I've got the pain now its awful I even sweat with it that's how painful it gets i mainly get it on my left side and sometimes can have it 24 hrs at a time. Also it sometimes makes my belly button hurt I don't know if this is something ANYONE has heard of if so please please let us know it is so painful I need answers xx thanks Lisa xx
I have the same type of problem. Had it since I was around 7, I am now 26. I found that If I drink a bunch of water when its happening, it helps moisturize my lungs and releases it. Feels like the inside of my lungs are stuck together and I have to take short breaths until it pops or releases all at once.
I have what Feels like the inside of my left lung is stuck together and I have to take short breaths until it pops or releases all at once. Had it since I was around 7, I am now 26. I found that If I drink a bunch of water when its happening, it helps moisturize my lungs and releases it.
usually its just growing pains but always double check with your doctor i got them growing up so did my brother its common
but its better to be safe than sorry
COSTOCHONDRITIS PEOPLE!  
I have Facet Syndrome.  One of the issues is sudden shooting pain around my ribcage on reaching or twisting.  It makes it hurt to breathe.  Check with a Pain Management Specialist, or a Neurologist.  I received injections for the facet's and it is an amazing solution to my problem.  I also have severe pain in my lower  back and the injections for that have made it so I can walk without pain!!
hello. I know what u mean- it is very scary. i feel like my lungs are collapsing or that my upper stomach is twisting inside out.  it feels like i'm having a heart attack.  my doctor doesn't think it is anything, except stress. i disagree - something is wrong. i have an appt next week and plan to demand some tests.  good luck and kept trying to get the doctor's attention.
H.
I went to the ER while I was in new Mexico visiting family for severe side pain. The dr said he thinks I passed a kidney stone but I still have pain on one or both sides rights between my ribs and hip. It's been almost a month and the pain still comes and goes. Any suggestions??
Well guys I've been having these cramps on my left side of my breast I've been thinking its my heart bt I'm only 16 so I don't know and I google everything and I can't find any answers ? Can anybody help bt I get it bad then I strugle to breathe so I just can get the answers can it be from stress ???
HI,

I'm a 33 y/o healthy male.I have had these cramps now for 3-4 years. I was a smoker until about 18 months ago when I quit. When I quit smoking, I started weight training. Shortly after that, the constant pain in my chest stopped. It started by me noticing it less often to not at all. Then, last September, I got a bad cold and didn't go to the gym for about 2 weeks. The pain came back. I initially thought that it was back because of stress, but now I believe it has something to do with the muscles in my chest not being worked regularly.

I am on xmas vacation right now and just woke up with the same symptoms described in this thread (hurts when I breath deep (in or out), it is just below the left nipple. hurts more in I lay on my back, etc.)

I woke up worrying I was having a freaking heart attack, but calmed myself and kind of came here for reassurance.

Anyway, every time I get this pain is when I am away from the gym for extended periods of time. If I workout regularly, this never happens.

I hope some of you can try some exercises like push ups or bench press, whatever works for you. I am telling you, this works for me. Make sure to give it time to work (again, it took a couple of months for me). I will post something in a few weeks when I have gotten back into working out and the pain is gone.

Thanks.

Jason
I get these pains and I first thought I might be starting up my pnamonia (or however you spell it) again, because I usually got those pains the last few times I had it... and I wasn't having asthma at the moment so I thought maybe it was a sign of my first period... and also, I don't eat much and my family always thinks my pains are from not eating but this doesn't feel like that so if anyone can help me understand what's up with my ribcage that would be nice:D
I know this post was a long time ago. I just wondered if you got a definitive diagnosis. My first thought was how much you sound like me. Mine is actually sharp/stabbing to dull pain in the upper regions, that eventually leads to a diarrhea. They've finally just decided that it's acid reflux. I've noticed that they are probably right. I have had many trips to the ER, before and after my gallbladder was removed in '09. Removal didn't fix it, so I guess reflux is the culprit.
Hope all is well:)
hey bro its okay dont worry i have the same pain it happens on my right ribs though if it just cramps at random times and it hurts to breathe for like 2 minutes then it goes away then that means ur just inconsistent in working out or if u do any sports u dont have enough salt to conjure the sports so what i RECOMMEND doing is drinking room tempature Gatorade and run a few laps it should go away 1 month and a half
I have had the same pain in my ribs a few different times.  One particular time it hurt so bad on my left side right under where your underwire would be for a woman.  I went to the doctors the following day...my doctor is a holistic man, whom use to be a cardiologist.  He told me that it is a virus and he told me to take an anti-inflammatory (aleve).  It only took a few minutes after I took three and I felt better.  He said once you get it, you will get it easily from stress, anxiety, fatty foods, sodas, alcohol, lack of exercise, and not eat or drinking well when you are on a work out program.  I hope this helps all of you.  I know it ***** to have it, but it does help to know you are not crazy and there really is a pain there.  <3
Hey Terry, as you get older or heavier your body puts extra pressure on the muscle tissue on the external sections of your lungs, When you move the wrong way for instance, They tend to cramp. Lack of potassium makes it worse. Drinking to much coffee can really dehydrate you. Drinking alcohol as well.  This symptom is consistent with age, Stretching out gently for instance. Doing reach for the skies. or just laying in bed and extending gently can prime these muscles into a more gentle transition. Other wise the ladder is possible pleurisy. inhaling dust and not having enough water to flush it out can cause inflammation in the lungs as well. Usually, it is a muscular issue, But, if it persist, have the doctor run potassium levels on you, Stay hydrated. And due very subtle stretches in a low resistant mode.
Helllo was just wondering if you ever found the Article about the cramping in the Rib Cage ??    I get this and it is happing much more... I am 56 i have had 2 Open Heart surg's. My gallbladder has been removed also.. I also have a Pace-Maker in place.....  I am asking because like i said they are getting worse. it literly put's me to my knees...It comes on out of know where....   Any help would be greatful...
Can anybody offer advice or share similar symptoms?  I have very bad cramps under my right rib cage going around to my back, not a pain as such, just an extreme hot cramp which is pretty much permanent. Cramp feeling goes down to my groin. Have had ct scan, ultrasound and blood tests and all okay. Feels like a golf ball is getting squeezed under my rib cage. No fever but loss of appetite. Such an uncomfortable feeling. Part of the ct scan results stated There is no significant para aortic lymphadenopathy.
Multiple diverticula are noted in the sigmoid colon.  There is no evidence of diverticulitis.
Gas is noted in L4/L5 intervertebral disc in keeping with degeneration. I am taking buscopan and amoxicillin for diverticula but cramps are continuous always in same place under right rib cage to right of belly button. Am seeing consultant on Tuesday but would appreciate any help and guidance please. This is driving me crazy and affecting relationship with wife. No chest pain but dull ache in back right shoulder at top of shoulder. A bit shakey (shaky) but that’s probably down to not eating! Help!
Funny.. I'm 35, had this off and on since my teens and do the same exact routine that you do to make it go away. I have to agree with you, it definitely works.
I have the cramping on the right side, back, mid rib cage. It is not COSTOCHONDRITIS, that occurs on the left side. It is breath taking, crippling and I need to find out what it is, what is causing it and hoping it can be stopped. I do vomit get nausiated. I had my gall bladder removed and have never been so sick in my life. Have been told kidneys or lung cancer or pancreas, but it is a servere pain.
I have rib cramps. my bloodwork came back with a vit. d deficency.  vit. d suppliment has all buy stopped them.
I started getting the muscle cramping in my rib cage area, mostly right side now, used to be on the left side lower rib cage are.  If I bend down or move certain way and laughing can trigger the episode.  It lasts for a minute to two and can be very painful as the muscle spasms and hardens, no matter what I do to stretch out the muscle or move around helps, staying still in certain positions has helped but not all the time .  The doctor has run all kinds of test, Vitamin D deficiency, electrolyte imbalance etc but nothing has helped so far.  The episodes come on randomly and can be pretty embarrassing and alarming to people who think I have a bigger problem.  if someone has a clue will appreciate a response. I just had a episode in my office and I'm just frustrated as the doctor does not know what is going on.
I had the same problem for about 4 months. It was a sharp pain in my left rib cage, generally on the last three at the bottom. This pain was getting worse and worse and no doctor could help me. I saw 4 different doctors and after many tests they found nothing at all. Finally I went to a naturopath and she recommended a Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis, this test shows mineral deficiency or excess of mineral in your body. Anyway the naturopath came up with a list of 20 things (food and products) that I have to avoid. At the beginning I taught I was a bit reluctant I thought I was wasting my time and money, but it proofs me wrong. Ever since I am following that list I feel good and the free of pain, but when I go back and eat what is wrong for me, the pain comes back. eg: one of the products to avoid is chicken,  I stop eating chicken just to try, but one day  a friend invite me for dinner and she cooked some sort of chicken stew, I didn't even think about my list, then that night at home I was again in pain. The list is personalized, so try to avoid chicken because it may be good for you. After following this list and the naturopath recommendations I am free of pain and my health has improved so much. I recommend this to everyone and I hope this help you all.
Sounds like a gall bladder problem ...ask for a  hida scan
i too hav the same pain.. i noticed when i eat eggs it makes the pain worse.. i dunno what it isor y any of us hav it. id like to kno y tho. if ne1 has an answer they can give us to help ease r minds id b grateful. i hav noticed that it helps ease the pain slightly if i lay on my back n put my legs up some. any answers?
hi dona I have the same symptoms and I got it 3 days ago. when I wake up its more than ever and it lasts throughout the day. so i cant even do that excersize then. ;( do you have any suggestions?
im 19 years old
Hi all,

I have the same problem for 5 years.  Went to doctor and they can't find anything wrong.  Somebody told me that I just need to take more liquid.  I drink at least 8 glasses of water each day or 64 fl oz of Gatorade.  Believe me, it works.  I have been pain free for 4 years now.  Good luck.
these are cramps or spasms, costrocondritis usually is pain in middle of chest when you take breaths, totally different feeling. i have had these rib cramps for 30 years with no help from doctors, i put pressure on the spot and just hold tight until it leaves. and no muscle relaxers doesnt help it is usually gone before the relaxers kick in. just saying
please look up pre-cordial catch, that sounds more like i have
I'm thinking since we all have the same-ish symptoms that its indigestion related. I was working and had my "off shift drink", ate a meal which was kind of spicy and a little bit later I had this pain, which I've had on and off for about a week now. This is something I've experienced since I was a child as well and everyone always told me it was ingestion/gas related. I think possibly when some of us with more sensitive stomachs eat or drink certain things, our bodies act in more bizarre ways then most people. That also could explain why when some if you had gone to the doc for it all your tests showed back positive results. I'm really hoping this is the reason because although painful, its not as bad as it could be if it were something worse like pneumonia (which I have had and it felt similar) or a lung disease. Anyways, I know this post is from years ago but I'm hoping it helps anyone who stumbles across this in the future. :)
I have this too and my friend gets it even worse than me, it like a massive stab and hurts so much you cant move and have to breathe really shallow breaths so it doesn't hurt as much. I looked it up and read through a blog with many people with the same symptoms from there I found out about this syndrome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precordial_catch_syndrome . The website explains all of my symptoms and also says that it is harmless and gets better with age, so I guess we just have to wait :/ As for other people who seem to have different symptoms where it hurts their right side and back, I don't know.
I hope by now you found the answer. I get the rib cramps when I sweat a lot; it is a lack of potassium and sodium (drink Powerade- I drink the zero calorie). When I am overworked, tired, stretch the wrong way or cold I get the cramping as well. Some times if I cough or move to another angle they ease up. I have used 3 aspirin and store bought leg cramp pills as a quick fix.
I am experiencing the same problem..  I read that pickle juice (the brine in the Jar) can actually help..   IT WORKS... For me at least..  I have kept a jar of pickles in the refrigerator for those nights when the pain comes on without any explanation.. the pain is gone within minutes of taking the pickle juice.. I would say about an ounce works for me..  I don't know why it works, How it works, or if it is just my mind.. but it reduces the cramp to zero.  Just putting this out there in case anyone wants to give it a try..  
Hemochromatosis is your answer.  The in abliity to rid your body of iron.  I have had the same problem for years and now it is being treated an no more cramps in the ribs.  DO NOT TAKE supplements to correct.  It will only make it worse.  Look it up.
Hi I have some severe health problems as well and get these same crampings under my right rib cage as well. I had a pulmonary embolism almost a year ago and am always on the lookout for more clots. I also have degenerative disc disc, faccet arthritis, stenosis, flattening of the spine, an enlarged spleen, and neuropathy in the legs. I have been on multiple medications for nerve pain, depression, and chronic back pain. I am also 37 years old and have been told someone my age shouldnt have these health issues. I hope someone can explain this.