Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Yellow lumps in Tonsils

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Yellow lumps in Tonsils

Between the age of 11 & 13, I experienced a series of strep.  Since that time, my tonsils have been enlarged.  Although I have not had a case of strep since that time, I now have yellow lumps in my tonsils that cause a very bad odor to by breath.  I've been told that the only solution is to have my tonsils removed, but I would rather find a way to keep them.  I've also been told that it is due to an infection, however, what kind of infection last 23 years?  Please help!  It's affecting my self-confidence when talking with people.  

Desperate

The most common cause of the odor and probably the yellow lumps is an infection.  It may not be there all the time or could be chronic in nature.  This can be cultured and treated with an antibiotic.  It may also come back if the tonsils are so deformed that bacteria collect in them.  A first approach would be a course of antibiotics and see what happens next.
Link:
http://www-surgery.ucsd.edu/ent/DAVIDSON/NASHAND/nasal.htm
Handbook of Nasal Disease
Excerpt:
"Acute tonsillitis and recurrent tonsillitis are bacterial infections.  They cause sore throat, fever and the feeling of being sick.  Some individuals have a low-grade, smoldering tonsil infection, often with small white to yellow puss filled nodules.  These are uncomfortable and often cause halitosis.  Tonsillectomy is the conventional treatment.  However, many cases can be managed with topical medication and throat irrigation.  

The Grossan Hydro-pulse Nasal/Sinus Irrigation System listed as item #3 in the Handbook of Nasal Disease is the optimal delivery system.  If the irrigation with warm salt water is not sufficient, you can add a diluted Burrough's solution.  This is an astringent and improves the efficacy of the irrigation system.  Burrough