Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
anxiety-induced asthma?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

anxiety-induced asthma?

Hello - Has anyone ever been diagnosed with anxiety-induced asthma?  I was diagnosed with asthma first time in my life this year, had allergy testing which came back negative, and would have 'attack's' for no reason with no 'triggers'.  All other tests performed for lungs and heart were just fine and I was told I was in excellent health.  My doctor has just recently told me that he believes my 'attacks' are anxiety-induced and if we could stop the anxiety, most likely the attacks would also stop.  He put me on an anti-anxiety medication.......and the attacks stopped.  My question is - can a person have an anxiety disorder without being aware of it?  I feel fine, don't feel anxious or stressed out or anything like that, but yet I do notice when I'm starting to have problems breathing, if I take a pill I feel better.  Why would this keep happeneing if I don't have anything actually setting it off?  Could a person's body simply be this way inside?  Thanks so much, I'm feeling better but am soooo confused.
It is easy to understand your confusion.  The body works in funny ways.  It is possible to have some degree of stress and have physical symptoms and yet not be aware of the stress.  This occurs in high blood pressure and ulcers for sure.  While it is not a common problem, people often do not focus on the area of stress and therefore are not fully aware of what is happening.  Stress can be a precipitant of asthma, as you have described.  I am glad that you have been given therapy to take care of this problem.
Stress causes chemical changes in our bodies, which can include affects on our breathing.  Meditation, relaxation, yoga, and biofeedback are several tehcniques which have been successfully used by some folks to help them gain more control over how their bodies react to situations.  You may wish to consider them and discuss with your doctor which technique(s) may be right for you and your condition.
Best of luck!
Aloha,
Starion

Very few cases are purely allergic asthma, asthma caused by respiratory infections, or even in cases of EIB (exercise induced asthma). Some cases, even most.. are psychologically based.

Stress can cause hair loss, weight loss/gain and a list of other effects. Asthma induced by anxiety is very common. It is important to rule out a medical condition. You may end up on on oral steroids, when you would benefit more from psychological help. This is not to say you are "crazy", because your symptoms are very real - and very treatable if anxiety is in fact the culprit.

Carbon dioxide plays a major role in anxiety. When you have anxiety, your carbon dioxide levels drop. This may worse the attacks as much as a higher level. It varies from individual to individual. Changes in blood carbon dioxide levels start a chain reaction that sparks <b>asthma</b> symptoms.

When you feel stressed, cry, get angry, or are very active.. you burn Thiamine. Be sure you are taking a complete vitamin supplement. Today's cereals are fortified with vitamins and minerals, but they overdo it on vitamin A. That doesn't help anxiety in such high doses. Supplements are important for countless reasons, so look into it if you haven't already.

Also.. Niacin calms us, and is found in most foods such as breads, pastas and rice. Higher doses cause flushing of the skin, but this is perfectly harmless. I would suggest a liquid niacin. When I feel anxious, I reach for gnc's liquid vitamin C which includes a small amount of niacin. Its enough to make me feel better fast without the flushing. You may find a low dose niacin at your local health food store.

Last but not least.. if your doctor approves of a new exercise regimine.. take up running or jogging. Exercise helps your asthma symptoms and lessens anxious/panicky feelings.

I hope this helps in any way.

Anai Rhoads
A related discussion, fatique wall was started.