Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
back pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

back pain
In August I did 50 heel drops to bring a hiatal hernia down. After I did them, I started to feel pain in my back when inhaling, on the right side, where I can feel a nerve or something very tender and painful; along with this, I started to have  shortness of breath and pressure on my chest. It seems to get better when my stomach is down or when a massagist works on my back, but it comes back in a few minutes or hours. Nobody knows what to tell me about this.
This sounds like muscular pain.  However it could be due to the hiatal hernia.  You need a thorough physical exam along with a chest x-ray.  Only then will it be possible for anyone to tell you about this very tender and painful area.
I am suffering from the exact same symptoms, and it got so bad that I took myself to the emergengy room.  They did a Blood Gas test, EKG, Chest exrays, and a CT scan of my lungs, and all seemed to be normal, but I still feel like I can't breathe.  If you (the person who posted this) have been diagnosed with anything PLEASE post it, as I am at a complete loss as to what I should do.   The pain is right at the top of my right shoulder blade, and It feels like a pinched nerve.  I yawn almost constantly, but very rarely do I actualy feel that my lungs are filled to their full compacity.  I am otherwise healthy.  ANY comments would be GREATLY appreciated..
I was taken to the ER too almost completely out of breath. They did on me the same tests, except the Blood Gas (what's that?) and everything was normal. They told me it was due to acid reflux, but I know it wasn't, because I don't have acid reflux anymore (I used to) and the symptoms persist. I have observed, though, a couple things. Maybe you can look into them:
1. sometimes it seems to get worse when I'm stressed out, anxious or agitated
2. it doesn't get better with exercise
3. my accupuncturist believes it is related to what they call 'chi stagnation', which, according to chinese medicine, it's related to mental stress

If there is any change in your symptoms, or you get better, or you find out what it is, please, please post it
Thank you
I used to have acid reflux too, I still do a bit, but one syptom does not seen to be at all related to, or affected by the other.  The blood Gas test is where they take blood directly from the artery in your wrist, or elbow I believe to see how oxygenated it is (not too fun) it did not show anything abnormal.  I'm beginning to cough a bit too, but this really doesn't feel like a chest cold...and if it is, it sure has lasted a long time (years off&on).  Anything I find out about this I will surely post, I hope that you will do the same as well.  
Thank you so much
MeganT
There might be a couple things more to look into:
- I've been told I have low adrenals,which can affect many things in your system, including the digestive tract (for example, I've developed food allergies) and the respiratory system
- I have an overgrowth of Candida albicans. They don't really know how bad it is, because my inmune system is low and the blood test may show less atigens than I would actually need to have to fight the infection. I'm waiting for the results of a test called Organic Acid Test (OAT), which is supossed to be much more accurate.

I have a question for you: how did your shortness of breath start?
I still don't know wether it is a mecanical problem (a muscle out of place, or connective tissue...), and infection problem, a psicosomatic problem... I've always thought it was mechanical because of when it started, coinciding with the days when I was doing heel drops for my hiatal hernia.
How and when did yours start?

If you want to e-mail me instead of posting messages here, go ahead:

***@****
A related discussion, Shortness of breath and back pain was started.
A related discussion, Asthma/COPD and upper back pain was started.
A related discussion, Short of breath & back ache. was started.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker