Respiratory Disorders Community
breating problem with exertion.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

breating problem with exertion.

I am 23, in good shape. I am in the army and stationed in Ft. Lewis. My question is, why is it that everytime that i run.  I am able to breathe. I start out fine. runnning and breathing with no issue. after about a quarter mile or 15 min of exertion. It becomes very hard to breathe. Not like your just tired. It feels more like I can't fill my lunges at all. I am from florida and never had an issue while there. It is worst during the winter. While deployed i had hardly no problems once i was used to the climate.

I think it maybe asthma or something like that. Any help would be greatful. I have never had asthma before this. and it only started about two years ago.
Tags: breathing and exertion
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It could be Asthma, and it is usually triggered by allergens. There is an entity called exercise induced Asthma, here as the person starts exercise, the changes in the environmental air breathed in trigger an attack of asthma, causing cough and breathlessness. Have yourself evaluated for the same. This can be detected by a spirometry test.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Well you may have Asthma like the other person says. I am not Doctor but you might want to have an xray of your Lungs. I have Bilateral Diaphragmatic Paralysis... Which means that both sides of my Diaphragm are paralysed... Now I could not run for 2 sec.s let alone 15 mins. But I do know you could have one side or the other.... You might want that looked at.. Good Luck!! Want more information just send me a message!! CT