Respiratory Disorders Community
constant yawning

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

constant yawning

hi, i was wondering if anyone can help me..... im a fit 29 year old woman and i have no health problems other then i have a problem with constant yawning and its driving me nuts! my first memory of it was when i was a young teen about to start a running race i would get the urge to yawn and i would just get it out before the race started (thankgod) so i would put that down to nerves but as an adult i have been getting the constant yawning problem back alot more freqeunt and i could yawn 50 times a day and it usually takes me 3 or 4 go's to get a propper yawn out that i feel satisfied. it comes on randomly and not in nervous situations just everyday at home etc and always when im in a areobics class and its not that im short of breath at all its just the urge to yawn!!!!! i class myself as being a very fit,active, happy and not anxious or nervous person  i am at an ideal weight and im healthy! i would love to get to the bottom of this CAN ANYONE HELP???????????????

This discussion is related to Yawning and Shortness of Breath.
this happened to me for a couple of years before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. It started as an occasional episode and increased to the point where it seemed like I was spending my whole day yawning. It was so scarey and embarrassing too. I'd have to try different yawning positions with my head and it would take several attempted yawns before I could fill up. I'd even wake up several times in the middle of the night and have to stand up to try to fill up. After i was finally diagnosed, and shortly after I started treatment, the problem resolved itself just like that!

I think this yawning business can be triggered by any hormonal imbalance and I am sooooo happy I can breathe easier now. BYW, I saw three doctors about this and they all said it was stress and sent me home with scripts for anti anxiety drugs. When they did that, I fired them and moved on to the next one...

hi thank you so much for your comments can you please tell me a little more about hypothyroidism????
Here was another thread that I found that is now closed but had lots of people with similiar symptoms.  I am going to print this out next time I go to the doctor.  I have had this problem for nearly 3 years now.  The first time I went to the GP, the symptoms of excessive yawning had gone away by the time I could get an appointment.  They gave me a chest xray, took blood and did a lung function test.  All were fine.  I suffered through a few more bouts (about 2x per year) and then last year I went to another FNP who said I had anxiety, possibly a sleeping problem, and mild depression.  After taking Ambien and Effexor for 2 months with no change, I stopped both of them and the problem went away after about 6 weeks.  Towards the end of the 6th week I decided to see another FNP who told me she did not think I needed to be on a daily anxiety medicine but possibly something just when the problem comes on. The problem is, most don't like to prescribe narcotics and I didn't want something I had to take everyday since I only have the problem about 2-3 times a year for about 4-6 weeks each time.  She put me on a mild blood pressure medicine called Inderol that I could take when sypmtoms came back.  The symptoms are back now and after doing some research, I am taking allergy medications (last year the allergy specialist told me I was allergic to practically everything and put me on several medications....Allegra in the AM, Singulair at night, Advair and Flonase as needed), the blood pressure medication, OTC medication for acid reflux (read that this might could cause it though I only have it maybe once a month), and taking the Ambien again at night.  So far, none of this seeems to be working.  I know that I don't have anxiety otherwise but this problem does give me some anxiety because it is frustrating not being able to figure out, or doctors rather, what is causing it.  Other posts say to adding more salt to the diet so I may try to do that.  One thing that might be of interest is that I had a TB test right when it started up again and had a local allergic reaction to the protein but no positive test.  My job has required testing for TB for the last two years but I didn't document when I had sypmtoms last year so its hard to pinpoint whether or not the TB test aggrevates the problem, but certainly a thought.  I have the most problems when driving and at night.  I find that when I am trying to yawn (often several unsuccessful attempts before feeling "satisfied"), I have to focus on something and I seem to have more trouble getting successful yawns if anyone is talking to me or looking at me.  It is very annoying during conversation (especially on the phone or when someone can not see you talking) to have to try to finish your yawn before responding to questions, etc.  I think this is where the problem leads me to anxiety in that I think the person talking to me may think I am annoying them, can't hear them, etc.  After reading so many posts, I am certain that there has to be a common thread between everyone with symptoms.  I am hopeful that in the future, new med. students coming out of school will have more training in this an not automatically assume that it is anxiety. I agree with others that it seems that doctors are so misinformed and jump to the quickest and easiest conclusion.  It is aggrevating to have to purchase medications, schedule appts (for a time in the future when I may not even have symptoms), and to take off work just to have another doctor scratch their head and propose possible "anxiety."  I consider myself a person who deals with stress well, too.  There doesn't seem to be any common anxiety thread to each outbreak, either.  My next steps are to check into hypothyroidism, salt, etc. and even print off the posts from the forum below.  Any other ideas, suggestions, stories would be helpful.
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/RespiratoryDisorders/messages/2820.html
hi everybody, as you, i suffer from sob and yawnign. my experience started like 2 years ago, when i hurried into an emergency room for using cocaine all night long, i was not a heavy user, but after spending a whole night using it, i drank cuban coffee and a redbull, along with everything else, i got tachycardia, i thougt i was having a heart attack, i panic and thought i would die, so i called 911. I also used marihuana, and i still use it, but not cocaine.
i am ok now, but after having that episode, i suffered for several months of panic attacks, with a lot of sob and yawning, and i went to the doctor, they could not say anything but give me sanax, which i did not took for it made me worst without helping at all... so I thought the best way was to FORGET ABOUT IT, forget about thinking about it and that was the solution, i slowly forgot about it all, i forced myself not to think about it, but FEEL what i was actually doing, like we can do something and at the same time we can think, and i used to think about breathing and sob and yawning and panic attack, i changed all that for new thoughts of 'feeling'. like feeling the air i was breathing, the smells, the good things of life, being alive myself... i believe this is some kind of mental disease, like if you think about it, it comes, but if you never do, IT GOES AWAY and that happened to me... last week i drunk too much beer, and next morning i had to get up really early so i was tired, i started having sob and yawning and suddenly, out of nowhere i started repeating the sequence, and i have it again, so i have to foget it again... i am saying this for all of you to try it... has it ever happened to you, that you get really busy with something different and you do not yawn or have a problem breathing at all????? TRY IT and let me know please, you all take care and relax, try to do what you really like instead of boring yourself with what you should do
Hi there - I am in exactly the same boat.  I posted a thread on here as well last night (no responses yet), but your symptoms (and lifestyle) are exactly like mine.  I am constatly yawning and usually have to do it several times before getting a good breath in.  You're not alone, but it is frustrating that we have to deal with this at all.  
I have been on anti-depressant for approx 15 years, off and on.  I have been on Effexor continuously for 3 years now. A pill a day (150 mg). I yawn constantly for a number of hours in the day. Also, less energy/ tiredness which may be related to Effexor.

While I don't like the yawning, I will take yawning any day over continuous anxiety with bouts of depression any day. If there is a way of eliminating the yawning while remaining on Effexor, I would like to know.

Paul
i am constantly yawning too and i keep wondering why
...I dont know much about all this but dont we yawn because the body is lacking oxygen?  if anyone who is smoking anything is having these issues I would Imagine....Lack of Oxygen?????

I would at the very least try breathing exercises everyday, most people dont breath properly to begin with.....You could look on yogajournal.com   They should have some breath exercises on there.

Just a thought
I started to have the same breathing problems as everyone else. I never had any problems until I started using the diet drug phentermine. I was wandering if anyone else's symptoms started after using a diet medication? When I went to the doctor, he said nothing was wrong with me. The second time I went to the doctor for the same problem, he prescribed anxiety meds. I don't have anxiety until it feels like I can't breathe. It would be nice to know what is wrong with me.
Me too.  I am a metal health social worker.  I don't take any meds.  I am not very anxious.  I believe I breath fine. My oxygen levels are really good.   And yet, I yawn...a lot.  
If I am listening, I yawn.  
If I think of yawning, I yawn.  
If I exercise, I yawn.  
If I sing, I yawn.  
If I focus on breathing, I yawn.  
I have asked many doctors and even a holistic professional about it and I have not gotten any answers.  The only thing I think it could possibly be is some sort of a tick- like some people twitch their eye.  I have learned if I carry a drink around with me, I can take a sip and that keeps it somewhat under control and hidden.  Good Morning America had some leading doctor in Yawning on about two years ago, and he said that yawning was a way that animals cool down their brains.  Not so sure about that one- but maybe.  Wish I had more info.
My question is for the person who was diagnosed with hypothroidism.  When you were diagnosed with that, did they give you medicine that helped??

I am also constantly trying to get a satisfying breath out, it is relieving to know there are others out there but also scary that no one knows what it is!  One of the others said they need to concentrate when trying to get the breath out and I feel the same way.

A commonality that I have noticed in these threads are that we are all young, ACTIVE women.  I am starting to think it is a back muscle contraction of some sort due to tightness or something.  I have ruled out heart, asthma, lungs, allergies, anxiety, I don't know what else it could be!!!

Do any of you feel like you have tightness or soreness in your backs???
Hey,
so i came on here to find out why i yawn soo much, Im 18 i've had this problem since i can remember, i was born with serve asthma but i grew out of it, i still have asthma but only when im running in cold weather, i get it in the spring sometimes, i havent weezed in along time,but when i yawn its not like a tired yawn. when i yawn every like 3-4 mins but i never finish, it doesnt feel that way anyway. I was wondering if you got anything back is to why this happens.
This will help your asthma and the yawning, as the oxygen level increases.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 10 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 10 to 30 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.
I have the same yawning problems, I am a 26 year old Female, healthy, active, no anxiety, and all that jazz.  I've noticed that lately I get strange headaches, as if migraines but only for a few seconds... like they're creeping up the back of my head and then they'll go away. I dont know if this is connected or not but was wondering if any of you have this problem as well.  Also, from time to time it feels like my heart pauses, or skips a beat.  I just read a bunch of stuff from google about yawning and one doctor mentioned that one cause could be heart problems.  I've had this problem since high school, but realized its been getting worse more recently, which brings me to google it.
Also, I just read from a doctor who has studied yawning his whole life and he says that lack of oxygen is a myth.  Here's the link: http://www.*************.com/drdean/408/30826.html
Do the exercises I suggested in my March 11, 2010 post and your yawning and headache problems will reduce gradually.You will feel good that you can do something yourself.
I have the same thing. They are symptoms of hyperventilation. Which are not fun, but at least it isn't something incredibly life threatening. There are more symptoms associated with hyperventilation, but not everyone is affected by all of them. For my entire life the doctors thought I had asthma and prescribed me 100 different medications that didn't do anything. Doing some research online I found that I regularly fit 12 of the 14 symptoms of hype (as in at least 4 times per week) and every once in a while i get the 13th. I guess I must have it pretty bad. I just hope I find something to make it better. I really began to notice it when the humidity started to get bad. I knew something was wrong because moderate humidity is supposed to be really good for asthma. This may just be me, but I don't have trouble breathing when I run; I actually breath better directly after. I ship off to USMC basic soon, so I am h3ll bent on finding something to help before that, just in case something were to happen to me.

Here is the list of symptoms. See for yourself if this sounds like it could be your problem. (I starred the ones I have)

*Feeling anxious, nervous, or tense.
*Frequent sighing or yawning.
*Feeling that you can't get enough air (air hunger) or need to sit up to breathe.
*A pounding and racing heartbeat.
*Problems with balance, lightheadedness, or vertigo.
Numbness or tingling in the hands, feet, or around the mouth.
*Chest tightness, fullness, pressure, tenderness, or pain.

Other symptoms may occur less frequently, and you may not realize they are directly related to hyperventilation. These symptoms can include:

*Headache.
*Gas, bloating, or burping.
*Twitching.
*Sweating.
*Vision changes, such as blurred vision or tunnel vision.
*Problems with concentration or memory.
Loss of consciousness (fainting). (the only one I have never had)

Because of the tunnel vision, concentration/memory loss, and twitching I really thought I had ADHD (all shared symptoms). I am starting to doubt that now.

Again apparently all of these symptoms do not affect everyone, and when they do you may not even know it is related. Also I am not a doctor, so don't take my word for it. Look it up!
(Sources - 2 private practice doctors, WebMD.com, Wikipedia, emedicinehealth.com and UMM.edu)
Yes, I too am a very fit (love cycling heaps) healthy young (39) woman who practices the yoga breathing techniques, yoga and lead a calm peaceful contended life. I first had this yawning to get a satisfying breath in my early 20's. When I queried the doctor then he said it was because I was over tired. Since then I have probably had 2 episodes of lack of breath each year. My most recent one started a week ago and is giving me a headache and a racing/thumping heart beat every so often. I finally thought 'gee, maybe there really is something medically wrong with me and perhaps I should go to the doctor again".  Firstly I thought I would undertake some internet research, and I don't feel so silly now, there are so many fit young healthy women out there just like me with the same breathing issues. At least I have some information to go with now when I go to the doctor.
Kapalbhati from my post of March 11,2010 will help with lack of breath. Do about 20 to 30 strokes of kapabhati, to expel the stale air in the lungs.
Anulom vilom will help with the headache and racing heart.
By the way, the breathing exercise though the nostrils is called "Pranayam" and is a yoga technique.  I will try it - used to do it years ago but never thought to do it again to stop the yawning.  For me, sometimes after eating, I yawn and yawn and am very tired to the point of sometimes falling asleep sitting up - or in meetings at work.  Not a good thing.
You need to to anulom vilom for more than 15 minutes to improve the breathing.
After eating sit in vajrasan position to help the digestion. A lot of oxygen is required for digestion, so taking deep breaths through the nostrils, into the lungs will help.
I am a 58 year old that is constantly yawning, trying to catch my breath.  it started when I would lay down.  I would have to sit  up and keep  yawning until I could catch my breath.  now I have to stand up to do the same thing.  I do have acid reflux. could that be causing the problem?
Colleen
Like everyone else I have having the same problems. I am a 25 year old male, not overweight, never smoked, no drugs, very regular exercise. Mine started about 6 months ago lasting only a few hours, then came back about once a month for a few hours for the next few months. Then randomly it came back and stayed for days leading to a panic attack and a trip to the ER. All of this was definitely due to anxiety as I do suffer from anxiety and this definitely contributed to the breathing trouble. After a week of anxiety meds I was back to normal. Unfortunately after 2 months it came back and has stayed for a month now :/.

Although I have not got this to go away this time I have found ways to make it very manageable. First off was retraining myself to breath, slow deep breaths through the stomach not the chest. This helped tremendously and got rid of all my chest pain and lessened the urge to gasp for air. Adding breathing exercises has also helped. I do have moderately low TSH but not low enough to take synthetic hormone replacement. Instead I am taking a 'natural' supplement aimed at supporting thyroid function. This has also seemed to help tremendously.

At this point, I think this could very well be a 'tic' that my body likes to feel satisfied since I have been doing it for over a month now. I'm fairly sure I can overcome this 'tic' but will require hard work and perseverance, as any habit takes to break. I find I can go a good while without having the urges if I am very focused on other things taking my mind off of it and changing my attitude toward the situation in general.

I am going to start a gluten-free diet as it certainly can't hurt and will lead to a healthier lifestyle anyway. I eat pretty clean but all the processed crap we are exposed to cannot be good anyway.

It's very comforting to know I'm not the only one and there are other people working toward a cure. I'll check back with status updates and good luck to everyone else and God bless!
I'm 16 and have had this same problem for as long as i can remember, none of my friends have it, but i know my nan does, from the posts that i've read on here it seems were all women.. or most of us, i dunno! i'm yawning too much to think :( never checked online about this, but i went to my doctor and he said i was fine.. i was like "well obviously not" so changed drs but this one dont seem to know either, i get it a lot worse when i'm due on and when i'm tired, i run alot, and get short of breath from that quicker than others i know who barely run, which is annoying. anyway... its really annoying basically as everyone here should know and we need to get to the bottom of this :|
I'm a 29 year old male, I'm athletic, I work out 5 days a week, never smoked, and I don't drink. I've never had any sort of health problems.. however, I yawn constantly. If I'm not yawning, I'm taking a very large breath in to try and fill my lungs completely with air. I'll have to take 3-4 large breaths back to back until I fill the very top of my lungs inflate and only then am I satisfied with it. If I don't start taking large breathes of air in, I feel like I'm not inhaling enough air for some reason. I don't get it! I ask around with other people and nobody else seems to have the problem but me.
Does anyone know if we do it in our sleep?

This may give some indication as to whether its oxygen our body needs or  a "habit"  

I do it too. The first time it happened was when i had given up smoking for 4 weeks and was mid way through a course of Zyban, i had it for a few weeks (possibly months) and then it disappeared all by itself.

3 years later i was telling someone about it & after doing it once i couldn't stop it! this episode lasted a few days then it stopped.

Only a few weeks later people at work were talking about Gordon Brown  saying how they noticed that he did it, by the end of the day i was hooked again and 3 years later i am still doing it more than ever.

Its so frustrating as i feel it is possible for it to stop but sometimes the more i think about it the worse it gets.

Has anyone tried hypnotherapy???

Wow!  I am so glad I decided to look this subject up.  I am a 48 year old woman, who has had all the same symptoms as everyone mentioned above. Mine happen out of the blue with no apparent trigger.  I can go for several years without experiencing them and then the yawning starts.  What stresses me is the not being able to complete the yawn.  And even when I finally complete it, the urge to yawn again occurs.  Sometimes albuterol inhaler (for asthma) seems to help.  Other times it doesn't do anything.  I've wondered if I was hyperventilating, so have tried breathing into a bag, which sometimes has helped.  I do feel a tightness in my ribs, and wonder if it is an inflammation in the lining of the rib cage that gives that feeling of tightness and the urge to yawn, and or to take deep breaths.  I've never thought about going to a dr. about this because I never thought yawning could be a symptom of something serious.  Now I'm not so sure.  It feels good though knowing that others out there are experiencing the same thing and I'm not alone.
Wow...I have been having the excessive yawning..I am in medical menopause, have hypothyroidism, smoke and take phentermine...Wtf..which one causes the yawning!
Has anyone had their iron levels tested? I have been having this constant "need to yawn" sensation off and on for a few weeks now. I started taking iron a few weeks ago, and noticed that it helped. I stopped after a couple of weeks, and now it's two weeks later and the yawning is back. I was reading that low iron levels can cause SOB. I was diagnosed with anemia as a teenager, but haven't had a problem with it for the past decade. I'm going to start taking my iron supplements again to see if it helps a second time. If it does then I'll just stay on them and probably make a doctor's appointment to get a blood work up done.

Anyone else on here diagnosed with anemia and/or has tried iron supplements?
I read this post several months ago because I too was yawning constantly and also had a constant feeling of butterflies in the stomach/nerves even though temperamentally I am a relatively laid back individual. I am also a reasonably fit and active early thirties female, no health problems etc. I am an animal nutritionist though and I was reading about magnesium deficiency in horses and the symptoms it creates. It got me thinking and I tried magnesium myself ... my yawning has stopped and the nervous feeling has gone, though if I forget to take my magnesium for several days in a row it comes back. I can put magnesium deficiency down to low dietary intake, losses through sweat and also losses via pregnancy and breastfeeding (which really increased the constant feeling of nerves - and I must stress it was only a physical feeling, mentally I was fine and wondering why on earth I felt like I did. Anyway, just thought I would let you know in case it helps. I took 650 mg of magnesium for several weeks and now take 325/day which keeps me feeling good. Obviously talk with your GP first.
Hi im 12 going on 13 AND I KEEP YAWNING FOR NO REASON since like a week ago i started to yawn constantly and i dont know why can someone help me? oh also i  really like this boy and everytime i see him i get all hyped up lolzzz okai can someone pleaseeeee help me ITS ANNOYING MEEE :''''( I HATE IT
Im 16 & I have been having the same problem (yawning excessively) I dont feel like im  running out of breath and cant breath, I just feel like I need more air in me, like.. It feels empty. And I've noticed when I try to take in a deep breath my stomach feels very heavy, as if I just ate and I'm really full, but didn't. And im in shape, fit, so this just has me really confused on why it could be happening.
I empathize with your struggle.  I am hypothyroid (the autoimmune type) and can relate to the process of just gaining a diagnose over 10 years ago.  I try to learn all I can myself and manage as much as I can, consulting with a doctor(s) as needed to advance my understandings.  

I have had 3 or 4 episodes over the last 3 years and they usually come with some exhaustion.  I attribute it to an immune flare up, but am never sure.  I worry that it is my heart as heart probs run in the family.  I am healthy and into nutrition and amino acids and have managed to make great strides from where I was 10 years ago (sleeping 15 hours a day).

It seems the heavy, can't get a deep enough breath feeling, and constant yawning is associated with oxygen.  I only assume this because I've started taking a supplement amino in a certain form for my cardio (as I struggle with lower heart rates).  I just had an episode of exhaustion and yawning that started 3 weeks ago with no unusual activities to trigger it. I have been progressively tired for 2-3 weeks and haven't been working out.  Mostly in bed and napping and on the computer, as this was mostly what I could handle.  The supplement is a form of L-Arginine, (A-AKG).  It's supposed to help with oxygenation, according to what I've read.  I don't know the details, but it worked within 20 minutes.  The brand I used is Force Factor, but other brands with that amino form may work as well as be less costly.  

It'd be nice to know if someone can comment on the technical reasons this works.  I am just happy to function.  

Thank you everyone for sharing and I hope that my experience might be useful to someone as well.

Have you had your oxygen level tested?  That is what it sounds like to me.  
I put my air conditioning down to 70 when I have this problem and that seems to help.  I have had radiation pneumonia so I may see a physician in the morning if I still have this problem.  I can not breath right when I lay down, I have to sit up all night with the air down.  
I have had this yawning problem since I was 7. It seems like the more I think about it the more it frustrates me. Try to be preoccupied with things all the time and you wont even notice it. Now the biggest thing that I noticed in the 13 years that I had this yawning problem is that lack of sleep aggrivates it. I try to get 8 hours of sleep at night. With school starting again I have had less sleep and began to yawn again. The awful feeling of an unsuccessful yawn is mind blowing sometimes.
Hope that helped someone.
I am in the same exact boat! And its beyond frustrating!!! I am 23, female athlete, into raw organics, super foods,  extremely healthy and I yawn beyond beyond belief. I do Yoga everyday and meditate so anxiety is out of the question. WHAT IS WRONG! The only thing i'm on is birth control, but Ive had this issue since i was in diapers. Somebody please figure this out....
ive noticed the same problem with myself. Most people on this thread say that they are athletic just like myself, but can't seem to figure out what the problem here. This is my take on it since i have experienced the same thing. I originally started taking weight loss supplements like ( BSN HYPER SHREAD OR HYDROXY CUT)  so that i could wrestle in the (160-175 pounds) weight class. i was 182 pounds and 6'1 at the time. i simply wanted to loose the fat and replace it with muscle. AS you can see, i didn't really need fat loss supplements as i wasn't obese. I started with one bottle of fat loss supplements and at the time everything was fine. About a month after i started having breathing problems like, yawning too much or taking big gulps of air even when they weren't necessary. i went to the doctor and he told the the same thing; " You have stress, anxiety because i was in university doing engineering" he sent me to a breathing specilist and he did a bunch of tests. after 3 months my results came back and everything was fine. i even stopped  yawning.

So i stopped yawning when i finished the first bottle of fat loss supplements. At that time i wasn't aware of the fact that the pills caused me to do this. Eventually after 6 months the next season rolled my and i decided to cut a few pounds of fat and reach 8% body fat. As soon as i started taking the pills, the yawning stated again.

So i believe that the supplements might have caused me to breathe improperly.
if anyone can relate to this, i would love to hear back from you.
I got yawning and sighing when I increased vitamin D intake. My upper abdomen was swollen, and it made respiration difficult. I have also had discomfort behind my eyes at the same time. These symptomms began in December 2012 and are still sometimes present. I got atrial fibrillaltion on 6 January. I'll have cardioversion after three weeks' coumarin use.

The yawning and the following AF coincided with the vitamin D increasing.
I don't think these symptoms have anything to do with hyperventilating.
What about shortage of iron or hemoglobinopathies.? I have not iron deficiency. Hemoglobinopathies may be very rare, but a doctor said me yesterday, that I may have exceptional hemoglobin. I have only now and then yawning and difficult breathing. If my hemoglobinopathy were the cause, then I should possibly have the symptom all the time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemoglobinopathy
I too have ya yawning problem. Regularly I keep on yawning. And I have a sinus problem too.
Pls suggest a good doctor.
I have excluded possible causes: liver and  pancreas problems (normal ALAT and amylase), hemoglobinopahthy (hemoglobin fractions and morphol. examination of blood cells), hyperventilation (with some equiment which measured CO2 from my nose). There is still some conditions without exclusion: possible esophagus or stomach/duodenum problems (gastritis, ulcus?), constriction of smaller coronary arteries and anxiety. I think that the cause must be in my upper abdomen. It feels sometimes as it were bloated and prevents normal breathing.
When I was 12 I had my first episode of constant yawning, it lasted the entire months of July and August. Once I started my new Junior High School in September it stopped immediately, it was clearly a nervous condition. Since then, whenever I have an episode, I realize there is something that I'm nervous about and I just let it go until it goes away, and it always does. Most of the time I have no idea what I was nervous about until it's over.
I had heart surgery about 3 months ago, with all five by passed.  My vessels were really blocked, like 1-100%, 2-98%, and 2-80%.  Obviously I had major energy issues, so the yawning didn't bother me that much.  The 3 years leading up to the operation, I was getting little sleep.  Often about 3-5 hours.

After the operation and a couple of weeks recovery I felt awesome.  But in spite of the energy increase, the yawning only got worse.  Even though I'm not tired, the yawning actually convinces me that I should take a nap.  Before the operation, getting up in the morning was harsh.  If the house was burning, I'm not sure I would be motivated.  Granted, I was really depressed to, but the heart issues sort of explain that.

Since the operation, I wake up at 5:30 ready to go, full of energy and ambition, but the yawning really takes me down.  It just won't stop.  Obviously, there has been a major shift in how oxygen my body is getting, but it has INCREASED.  I did start taking a lot of drugs for the blood issues.  I still have serious Cardiovascular Disease, but still feel 500%.

But someone mentioned taking Vitamin D.  I am very fair and burn like flash paper in the sun, which would suggest Vitamin D issues all of my life, since I go in the sun much.  But taking Vitamin D, (although it be very good for you) was started at the same time as the yawning.  I am going to take it out my pill line up for a while and see what happens.
Hi! I am having this problem, too. Same as you - fit 29 year old woman. I have noticed lately that I've been clenching my jaw in my sleep.(*note-i've been getting a lot more sleep than usual). I wake up doing it sometimes and I can feel that my jaw is super tight / stressed out. I wonder if it is a reaction to the tightness in the jaw that creates the need to yawn, or stretch the jaw muscles. I also feel like now that I've started to yawn, it's almost a mental addiction- like I think about it before it happens, and if I really want, I can suppress the urge. Do you think you could be clenching, too?
i use kelp, stay away from idling cars/indoor airpollution.../co... also i do squats and increased my fiber and stay away from processed foods if possible.. stay away from gatorade and artificial sugars...when sleeping at night make sure bed is comfy and room is neither dark nor noisy..and good air circulation/negative ions willl be a plus...be careful with too much soy protein, do take whey protein powder but be careful there is an antidepressant in some of them...drink more tea and less coffee... do perform yoga/cobra technique...perform jumping jacks for lymphatic system...breath from the gut not the chest when possible... listen to your favorite music... brush and floss more often... stay away or avoid chloramine in household water or even contaminated water from unknown leaky sources...take ricola herbal drops to help with indigestion or inflammation problems. black licorice/pineapple are good as well... chew nuts slower but stay away from the raw ones... be careful with gluten...  eat plain yogurt after spicy food or anytime!  don't eat four hours before going to bed... take vitamin B, take Calcium and zinc, but don't supplement Calcium if your taking Kelp as it has 10x more Calcium than milk, it also has iron, iodine, make sure it's from clean water...ocean minerals are far superior to land based minerals... rub/massage your thyroid/accupressure/accupuncture are a must!!!  take your favourite class of martial arts/wrestling/pilates/yoga/... meet more positive people on random hikes,hehe...buy Skecher shoes or Nike for less stress on the body...  perform KHT,(Korean Hand Therapy) old class offered at Cal Berkely..stretch while reaching for the stars....take your mind to happy places not sad ones... eliminate negative energy around you... believe in yourself not others!!! no blue lights 2 hours prior to bed time... try light therapy... try Reishi mushrooms to lower blood pressure... eat raw chopped garlic after 20 minutes of crushing... try Valerian Root tea or Melatonin... try superfood combinations like avacado/citrus or even black walnuts and banana....pomegranite and prickly pear... salt scrubs and moisturizers... filtered water for the shower...try a more alkalinic diet as opposed to acidic, but don't go crazy as the stomach will balance the ph anyhow... 30mg fiber a day at a minimum...clouded minds usually stem from overexposure to CO, seek treatment of decompression or O2 treatment in oxygen bar... or do 30/30 intervals of your own pace hikes away from traffic, preferably around trees or your favorite park... spray your favorite fragrance at night while sleeping... hope all of this digressing on a tangent has helped you, it has helped me tremendously... and thank you...