Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
cough that does not go awayt
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

cough that does not go awayt

I have a cough that does not seem to go away. I had a cold 2 months ago. I have since recuperated except for the persistent dry cough. It seems worse at night; however, I get bouts of deep, dry, coughing throughout the day. I am not prone to allergies and am in general good health. What is it? What can I do to stop it?
Related Discussions
242588_tn?1224275300
If you are a cigarette smoker, you will probably have to quit smoking for a month or more to allow your lung tissue, specifically your inflamed bronchial tubes, to heal.  

The second possibility is that, even though you may not have ever had the diagnosis of asthma, the viral infection (cold) you had may have been severe and irritating enough to result in asthma.  This is not a rare scenario and, when it happens, cough rather than wheezing may be the main symptom.  If that is the case, you will probably have to have asthma medication for the cough to be controlled.  If things play-out this way, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you will continue to have asthma indefinitely.

The third possibility is that your “cold” was actually whooping cough (pertussis).  That type of cough can linger for 3-6 months.  

If you prove not to have asthma, aren’t smoking and didn’t have whooping cough,you should contact your doctor and request a prescription for a strong cough suppressant   You could try an over-the-counter cough suppressant with “DM” and if that doesn’t provide relief of the cough, then call or visit your doctor to make sure that nothing more serious is causing your cough (you may need a chest X-ray to do that) and get a stronger cough preparation such as Tussionex.

Good luck
2 Comments
Blank
I would get a throat culture from your doc- it could be bronchitis, or just a virus but either way, get to a doctor...good luck!
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Asthma Tracker