gray specks in sputum
I have been getting over a sinus infection (no antibiotics) when I developed a cough producing a thick bright green sputum.  Four days later, my cough is still productive, but the sputum has darkened to a pea green with gray specks.  I do not have a fever and am  under the impression that the changing color indicates I am getting better; but what might the gray specks be indicative of?
The fact that your sputum is pea green concerns me...usually colors like these mean some sort of infection. Your sinuses most likely contributed to this....alot of chest infections come about after an infection with the sinuses, at least that is what I have seen in myself and others. Grey specks could be bacterial...green with grey sounds like that to me, the only way you can be sure is to see your doctor, who will order tests such as a sputum culture to see what organisms are growing in your lungs if any, perhaps a chest xray etc....all depending on what he or she finds in the examination. Sunny
I quit smoking 4years ago and had a sinus infection that went to my lungs. After fighting the infection without antibiotics,I was spitting up green and later developed into clear with gray spots. It has cleared up now. I think the infection had something to do with the spots