Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
left lung pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

left lung pain

i just got over having a bout with the flu and broncitis. now i have this pain under my left breast that extends around to my back. it hurts to lie on my back on the left side at night when i'm trying to sleep.also some times it hurts to take a deep breath. could this be a pulled muscle? i did do alot of coughing but never experienced this before so now i'm worried about what it might be? an infection? i did take zpac for 5 days.and it cleared up the broncitis. also when i lay on the left side sometimes i still hear a little wheezing sound.but not on my right side. thank you. anxiously awaiting your reply.
The "flu and bronchitis" might not be that, but may be symptoms of a more serious disease of the chest or lungs.  Or you could have pulled an intercostal muscle or even fractured a rib, with hard coughing.  You should see your doctor for an exam and chest X-ray.
From someone who didn't ask for an exray and wishes I had!!!  If I were you, I'd ask for one.  Better be safe than SORRY!
how long does it normally take for a health care professional to get back to you? am i looking for my answer in the right place?thanks to anyone who can guide me.
I am not a health care professional, but i do have a husband with the same problem, his is usually a pulled muscle from coughing so much. You should go to your M.D. just to be sure.
This season is one of the nastiest seasons for these viruses
Take care... hope you feel better......and get an answer!~
thank you Laurie for your nice response. i did call my dr. and hope he gets back to me today. actually i think i should get an x-ray of my side.
well i did hear from my dr's office. they said i probably have something called intercostal cronditis(its an inflammation of the muscles that surround the ribs and can occur after an illness like i had the broncitis and the flu. they recommend i use heat or ice and take advil and if not better by monday to call back. don't know if this helps anyone else out there, but it will eventually go away and not to do anything strenuous.
If not better by Monday call your Dr. he may want to do a chest xray, you could have Pleurisy , fluid in the lining of the lung. Hope you are better soon!