Respiratory Disorders Community
my daughter has asthma and leg cramps too

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

My daughter has been complaining of leg and foot cramps.  At first I attributed this to simple growing pains.  She is four years old and has multiple allergies: grass and peanut butter are amoung her most potent allergens.  She is on allergy shots for grass.  I give her organic vitamins with B12, B6, B2, and magnesium, as well as enzymes, probiotics, omega swirl with omega 3, 6, 9 all natural supplements that help to support an allergic and asthmatic system.  It has yet to be confirmed that she has asthma, though allergens can trigger a cough, though she doesn't become short of breath or wheeze, she does respond to asthma medications like pulmicort and xopenex (she had paradoxical bronchospasm to albuterol--very scary!)  Needless to say I've done some reading on varient cough asthma and it sounds like she fits the bill.  To make a long story even longer, it seems she gets leg cramps right before a coughing episode, in fact, I can almost predict an attack by when she tells me her legs are cramping.  Why is this?  her oxygen levels have always been 100% and her chest x-rays have shown no hyperextension of the lungs.  We have a spirometry test coming up soon, and have been practicing on the peak-flow meter.  Any ideas?

This discussion is related to Cramps brought on by asthma.

My 6 year old just recently started having almost the exact symptoms. Just before an asthma attack he get cramps in the legs. Only at night though. very weird. Did you find out anything more it ? What did the doctors say?

I am a 34 year old with Chronic uncontrolled Asthma, I too get these horrible cramps when I am attacking.. and even when my peak flow is low.  The only thing my Doctors can put it down to is a potassium deficiency in my blood gases.  I hope you can find relief for your little one as it is very painful experience.

My daughter is 4. She has been having leg cramps at night for the last year from time to time. We have realised it is triggered by chocolate and some ice-cream and some sweets. Is it additives, sugar, preservatives? We don't know, but please watch out for these triggers in your daughters' diet. It's easy to miss the little things. I hope you get to the bottom of it.