Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
stell cell research ?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

stell cell research ?
I was diagnosed with IPF in August 2003 and browsed the internet for information regarding treatment and research involving this disease. I found an article on the University of Vermont website posted 8-29-2003 and titled "Stem Cells Shown to Regenerate Damaged Lung Tissue for the First Time." The article referenced a research study that was published in the August 1 issue of the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. Has there been any further research at this point with the potential for stem cells to regenrate lung tissue damaged by fibrosis? Is there any on-going research, and if so, where and by whom is it being conducted?
Stem cell research is really in its infancy.  The possibility of generating new lung tissue is years away.  There is no research on its use for pulmonary fibrosis.  You may find further leads to other resources from the research study that you noted.  Here is the full citation.  Human pulmonary chimerism after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation by Benjamin T. Suratt, MD et al in American Journal of Respiratory & Critical Care Medicine, Volume 168, Number 3, pages 318-322, Aug 1, 2003.
For info on this topic, see this message from Dan King, who runs the following website:

"I have compiled reports on all of the researchers I am aware of that are currently working on lung tissue regeneration. These reports can be found at the yahoo Group:
                      http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Cure4PFandCOPD/  "
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker