still in pain after PE
hello,
I suffered my second PE occurence 2 months ago. I was in hospital a week before the clot travelled to my lung as i initially came in with severe calf pain. Due to my past history (5 years previously) of PE they kept me in.
I left hospital and am now on warfarin. however i am still in pain. Normally it is just a general achey type pain (made worse when carrying heavy things reaching up to a shelf etc). I also still get breathless if i undertake a small amount of physical activity (e.g. using the vacuum cleaner) but every so often i get severe stabbing pains in my chest which can last for 1-5 mins then gradually ease off leaving me with the ache. This can leave me doubled up and even in tears at the end of the episode.
I have now noticed that the cold weather severely effects me and leaves me very breathless. When my peak flow was tested it was only 300 and 325 so now have a ventolin inhaler to help when i need it. I have to wait now to see the nurse for a lung function test to see if the clots have damaged my lungs. Im quite worried about the stabbing pain as i am hoping to go back to work full time. I am a primary school teacher and am presently just part time as I am still not up to all day. I take co-codamol but that does not touch the pain really and have been on it for 5 months due to a previous hip problem so want to stop it soon!
any help or info would be great!
I too have had a PE and remember the pain that you describe. It was mostly an achy dull type of pain that came and went. Once in awhile it would be stabbing in nature. The pains did get better over time, it took awhile though...I believe it was a few months before they were totally gone.
I think it is wise that the nurse is checking your PFT's to make sure that your lung function is intact.
I wish I could help more,
Sunny
I'm sorry to hear how much pain you are in and I know this may not be comforting to you, but I have the exact same issue, since recovering from multiple PEs in mid-June.  I was told it would subside after a couple months, but I still have daily aching pain around my right lung that also gets very sharp at times and seems to be aggrevated by shallow breathing from stress/mild exercise, laughing, talking a lot throughout the day, etc. I've been to 2 pulmonolgists, who say it could be nerve damage from the PEs, so I'm now on Neurotin (a nerve med) and just started it a week ago. So far, no changes, but it's a med that you increase the does slowly, so I'm hoping it works. My next step is to visit a pain center to discuss a possible nerve block injection and any tests they can run to confirm that this is nerve pain.  I'll keep you posted to see if I can help you also!  

Hang in there - I know how hard this is! I'm trying to move on with my life working full time, going to PT for my knee (original surgery that cause this), etc., but it's hard when this chronic pain prevents me from having my normal energy.