Respiratory Disorders Community
trachea

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

trachea

hello,my name is debbie i have had a trachea for little over a year,and have had 4 surgerys,when they try to take it out they have to do emerecy sugery and put it back because i can not breath with out it.i have one of the best top dr,there is in this field ,very good doctor,but he dont no what is my problem is.i had a big mass on my vocal cord,but they said it was not cancer,but they removed part of my vocal cord on the left side.and the left side is parlized.my question is i have ALOT of mucas and cough so bad ,can you please help me.  THANK YOU DEBBIE.
Tags: trachea
Hello Debbie...I too have a trach, but because I live on a ventilator full time. I have had mine for a little over 3 years now. Have you recently started coughing up alot of mucus or has this been ongoing? Does the mucus have any color or any funky odors? I know that whenever I start to cough up alot of junk, it means an infection with me...especially when the color changes from my usual yellow to green or has an odor to it. The coughing can be a problem for me too...most times it is from irritation, but like I said, it can also mean an infection. What helps my coughing are medications to help suppress the cough. If it is from irritation of the airway itself (usually it is a constant tickle or I feel the tube itself rub against the trachea causing the increased coughing), I actually put lidocaine (the same stuff docs inject into a cut to numb it up before they stitch it) down my trach and it numbs it. My ENT prescribed it...sometimes when the coughing is severe (usually is right after a trach change) I nebulize the lidocaine instead of just squirting it down, it numbs my lungs and trachea giving me almost immediate relief. If you have anymore questions, please let me know...Sunny
hello i am so sorry i have not wrote back  thanks for your concern. yes your right i do have a infection  they told me i had bronchis. and put me on med got to go back to the dr.on the 29 oh this mo. why did you have to have a trachea. write back debbie
Hi Debbi, I got a trach when the doctors decided to put me on a vent full time. For 2 years prior to being vented, my diaphragm slowly failed until I needed support from BiPAP (bi level positive airway pressure, a machine that essentially forces air into the lungs at two prescribed pressures). I had already been on O2 from the beginning of this ordeal. The doctors watched my lung functions (PFT's) closely, they did them every 3 months. When I finally hit the teens, they became very concerned...rightfully so. I contracted a virus, was placed into the hospital on continuous BiPAP and O2 to keep my oxygen levels greater than 90%. After 3 weeks in and without any improvement (trying to get me off BiPAP for any amount of time resulted in a serious drop in my oxygen levels), they decided to evaluate me for a vent. After many tests, they found that my diaphragm was quite flaccid, they didn't and still don't have an answer as to why my diaphragm failed on me. A scheduled tracheotomy was scheduled and I was placed on a ventilator, which is where I am at now. I have lived at home with a vent for a bit over 3 years now.
I hope that you feel better soon, an infection really sucks especially with a trach. I will keep you in my thoughts.
If you have any more questions, just give a holler! Sunny :)