Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
unilateral nasal obstruction

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

unilateral nasal obstruction

I have had a steadily worsening unilateral nasal obstruction high up in my right nostril for almost 8 years.  I had it looked at by a local ENT doctor who told me that the turbinate looked a bit swollen but otherwise ok....he did not, however, do a complete test with the scope that looks up higher into the nasal cavity.  The right side of my nose is much larger inside and I can get the tip of my little finger up in there and feel what I suppose is the turbinate...it doesn't seem to be enlarging but yet I have the sensation of obstruction constantly and try to relieve it by blowing my nose...which sometimes produces clumps of bloody, sticky mucus.  Other times I can actually pick those clumps off the turbinate.  I know this sound gross, but it is driving me crazy.  I am worried about cancer and have no insurance so I have been hesitant to go back to a doctor, afraid of what I might find out.  Can you give me any guidance?
You should have a direct re-examination of the area of your nose, above the turbinate to rule-out a tumor, benign or malignant.  This can be accomplished with the doctor's use of a fiberoptic laryngoscope.  If the turbinate blocks access to the upper/posterior part of your nose, that area can be examined by inserting the instrument, either through the mouth or through the other nostril.  You should also have a CT scan of your nose and sinuses.

Your reluctance to go back, without insurance, is understandable but you must have this evaluated and treated.  This could be a cancer but whatever it is, you need relief from it and the peace of mind that would accompany the relief.
Also forgot to mention the pretty much incessant itching.  This problem seems to be worse on the exhale than the inhale, and is absolutely maddening.
Thank you.  After your reply, I made an appointment with an ENT specialist, and have since gone to that appointment and a follow-up.  He diagnoses me with a deviated septum and chronic sinus infection.  After a round of Augmentin and daily use of Flonase and a sinus wash, I am feeling much better.  Just wanted to say thanks for helping me find the courage to go to the doctor!