Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
yawning excessively and taking deep breathes

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I had this situation occur last summer where I was consistently taking deep breaths and feeling like I needed to yawn all the time.  I had been diagnosed with ITP with a stay in the hospital.  Due to this situation I went to the cardiologist but all my heart tests came back normal.  This went away for a while but is back now.  I excersise regularly, do not have diabetes, have a history of heart problems in my family.  I am 40 years old, married and have four children.  This is an annoying problem but I feel fine.  Have you ever heard of this and should I be worried?
I cannot tell from your info if you are referring to Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. If you are, I don
hi

Yes i have the same problem sometimes where i try to yawn and just can't do it - it drives me crazy. I only get it if i am excessively tired and have had some late nights. hope this has helped

David
I did have a chest x-ray and it came back normal.  I have been taking an OTC sleep aid to see if sleeping better would help the yawning.  It has some.  I guess I wasn't sleeping as good as I thought I was.
dooster.. I can't believe someone has the exact same problem as me. You have described my symptoms exactly. have you found anything out about the cause ? I am also a bit nervous and i dont want my doctor to just brush it off as allergies or asthma.
My symptoms are the same, needing to take deep breaths and excessive and sometime difficult yawning.
I haven't had the exact problem you have but I have read about it as being a symptom of something I did have... chest breathing instead of diaphragm breathing. The part of the brain that controls breathing reacts to CO2 levels in the blood (which is also acidity/alkalinity). If you hyperventilate your CO2 level goes down and you don't feel the need to breathe for a while. After a long time of chest breathing the brain gets accustomed to unusual CO2 levels. It can take quite a period of breathing re-training for the brain to be reprogrammed as to what CO2 levels are normal. Can be a bit unpleasnat but has to be done! The yawning and siging are apparently attempts byt the brain to change the CO2/O2 levels. When i chest breathed I'd get dizzy from overbreathing and over inflating the chest. It led to panik attacks which were horrible. Hospitalised a couple fo times with uncontrollable shaking (from masses of adrenalin),etc. have been fine since retraining. A breathing physio should be able to help. good luck
I have the same difficulty with breathing and yawning. I am continually needing to yawn but can never get the actual yawn, it get very irritating. The feeling you get just before you need to yawn (your throat sort of trying to open up a bit like a lump) is there quite often. I notice this gets worse when i am anxious. This problem started about two years ago, it went away for about a month but has now come back even worse. I went to my doctor about this problem but she dismissed it as asthma, I tryed taking my asthma medication but there were no changes in my breathing, she then gave me a chest ex but it came out as normal. It is driving me crazy and sometimes brings me to tears because it is simply frustrating. I would love to know why this is happening but it seems the doctors have no answers for me, or anyone else with the same problem.
Hi.
A natural herbal extract improves breathing, also improves mucus expelling.There are 2 ways to order. Visit http://aliviasma.4t.com  for more info about this dietary suplement.
Regarding this yawning problem. Well I am very familiar with this problem because I've had it for years. It is a very annoying experience. You can't catch a full yawn and your body is constantly in need of it.
However I didn't first start to get this problem until I was diagnosed with acid reflux. I am not sure but I believe it might be caused by anxiety. Before I was diagnosed with gerd I developed several conditions like anxiety and panic attacks caused by the chest discomfort. Gerd also causes asthma like symptoms which I believe may have something to do with this. So I wonder, do the people in this forum have gerd or acid reflux?
A related discussion, yawning was started.
A related discussion, Yawning Excessively and taking depp Breathes was started.
A related discussion, excessive yawning was started.
A related discussion, deep breaths is annoying was started.
I have had difficulty yawning for about 3 years. I think it has to do with anxiety and/or stress, based on the circumstances. The diaphragmatic breathing seems to help. I took a trip to the beach last spring and was completely relaxed and yawned beautifully :-) Thats why for me I'm pretty sure it's stress- related. My breathing also became deeper during that time. I'll try practicing the diaphragmatic breathing. It's frustrating not to be able to complete a yawn!