STDs - International Expert Forum
Conflicting HSV Test Results

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to STDs including: Chlamydia, crabs, gonorrhea, HPV, PID, penis discharge, syphilis, testicular infections, urethritis, vaginosis, genital warts, yeast infection. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Conflicting HSV Test Results

I was hoping you can help me understand my conflicting test results.

03/31/2009 HSV 2 IGG HERPESELECT           1.48 H

10/20/2009 HSV 2 IGG INHIBITION, ELISA      POSITIVE

10/12/2010 HSV WESTERN BLOT (HSWB)      
POSITIVE FOR ANTIBODY TO HSV-1 BY WESTERN BLOT. NEGATIVE FOR ANTIBODY TO HSV-2.

03/15/2011
HSV 1 IGG TYPE SPECIFIC AB 0.00
HSV 2 IGG TYPE SPECIFIC AB 1.37 H

03/31/2011 HSV WESTERN BLOT (HSWB)

Why am I showing positive in 3 of the tests and negative for the two western blots for HSV2?
Why are the Igg tests not picking up the HSV1?

I realized that in my panel of April 06 2009 for other STDs I had the following:
HEPATITIS B SURFACE REACTIVE
On a later check up my HEPATITIS B SURFACE WAS NON REACTIVE (MARCH 15 2011)

Could Hepatitis B cause cross reaction? If not, why are my HSV tests conflicting.
I have never had an outbreak of any kind, and my boyfriend (we've been together for a year now) hasn't either. His test results are as follows:
09/03/2010 HSV 1 and 2-Specific Ab, IgG     HSV 1 IgG, Type Spec 1.74 High
02/18/2011 HSV WESTERN BLOT (HSWB)

In your opinion, do I have HSV-2 or not?
Why the different results? What test is the most reliable?

Thanks so much for your time :)
Tags: HSV, hsv test
Hello

Western Blots are variable - they used to be the gold standard for many types of tests but in reality they have been overtaken by much more reliable IgG tests.

From these results - and without the benefit of actually seeing you and the results and taking our own tests at our own laboratory - I would say that you do have herpes 2 and you did have a brief infection with hepatitis B. I would go and discuss with a doctor your results and ask him or her to help you sort them out. I would also suggest a full hepatitis B profile to include surface antigen; surface antibodies; core IgG/IgM; core specific IgM; "e" antigen and "e" antibodies. The combination will determine where you are with hepatitis B.

best regards, Sean
Thanks for your response.
I am even more confused now. I live in the US and have at least 4 different opinion which agree that the Western Blot is the gold standard and that based on my history of no outbreaks I do NOT have HSV2. If Western Blots are variable what is the most reliable test?
The people I consulted with have been carrying out studies regarding HSV and the reliability of the more "commercial" IgG tests.
With reference to HepB, can't you get a positive result from vaccination because of the antibodies in your system?

The other doctors (Gynecologists) have no idea of the existence of the WB and think that my results express a possible exposure but it doesnt mean i am infected.

Can you understand why I am so confused?

Thank you.
I also had the chickenpox when i was younger... could that create a false positive result?
Hello

Chicken pox will not alter your results - we all had chicken pox.

You've added this beneath:-

Thanks for your response.
I am even more confused now. I live in the US and have at least 4 different opinion which agree that the Western Blot is the gold standard and that based on my history of no outbreaks I do NOT have HSV2.

Well as you can see, I think that is incorrect. No outbreaks certainly does not rule out HSV. Western Blot was the gold standard years ago - it is not now.

If Western Blots are variable what is the most reliable test?

I've answered this already above

I'm not sure what relevance this has.

No - you didn't have antibodies you had surface antigen = new possibly transient infection.

Yes - but you are confusing yourself by taking so many opinions including adding mine in - go and SEE and Infectious Disease specialist and ask him or her. Stop googling and asking numerous doctors - you're just adding to your level of confusion.

best wishes, Sean

Thank you.
A related discussion, I'd repost this to Dr. Handsfield et al was started.