STDs - International Expert Forum
Handjobs and Blowjobs

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to STDs including: Chlamydia, crabs, gonorrhea, HPV, PID, penis discharge, syphilis, testicular infections, urethritis, vaginosis, genital warts, yeast infection. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Handjobs and Blowjobs

Dear Doctors,

I was on work travel for a month. I did something really stupid and temptation got the better of me.

On multiple occassions I was involved with different CSWs. On the first two occassions, was a handjob without condom protection. Then on all following occassions was again also just a handjob with a condom on, the last two occassions was the girl was a bit aggressive and gave me a ******* with the condom on when I prefered just a handjob, it all ended up with having a condom on throughout the handjob and ******* sessions.

Then, just a week after my last encounter, I just came back on a very long flight. And I have been experiencing the following symptoms:

1. Fever with chills for two days, breaking sweat at night
2. Back ache and possibly joint and shoulder discomfort
3. Occassional headaches when I had the fever

After four days from the flight, I am starting to feel better, and I'd like to think it was the long flight and uncomfortable seats... But I'm afraid that I also may have contracted HIV or some type of STD with my encounters.

I did a full panel STD test at 11 days after exposure. I know this may sound early for an HIV test but I had to do it for the other STDs. I tested positive for HSV-1 which I know I already have, at 5.73. But what scared me was that for HSV-2, I also came positive at 1.45... Everything else was negative (HIV, Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Syphillis (syphilis), Hep B, Hep C).

I am miserable knowing now that I have HSV-2, I do not have any symptoms though, no blisters or bumps. Is there a possibility that this can be a false positive? What are my risks for the other STDs like HIV, etc.?

Please advise.

Thank you.
Thank you for your post and welcome to our forum.
None of the sexual encounters described would have put you at risk of contracting any STDs, and certainly not HIV.  Handjobs are generally safe, and oral sex with a condom on is also safe.  Therefore there is no need for you to be concerned as your symptoms had absolutely nothing to do with HIV or any other STD.
You did not contract HSV-2 in any of these sexual encounters as it was too early after they happened for antibodies to be detectable, as it normally takes several weeks before they become evident.
Best wishes,
Dr José
Greetings again Doctors,

In addition to my post and to provide additional information, I found out online that the lab uses the HerpeSelect test to conduct HSV-1 and HSV-2 tests.

Thank you.

Thank you for your insight Doctor Gonzales.

As for HSV-2, I took the full panel test at 11 days after my last exposure however I failed to mention that my first exposure was roughly about 5-6 weeks before that. The test used for HSV-2 detection was HerpeSelect. Although I don't have any symptoms at all, is that enough time for antibodies to be detectable? Should I be concerned and do a re-test of HSV-2?
Herpes serology tests are usually considered conclusive after 12 weeks.  It would be very difficult to know if your positive HSV-2 result at 6 weeks was related to that secual encounter, even though I would think this to be unlikely.  I feel that it is more likley that you had already been infected with HSV-2 prior to these sexual encounters.  I would not recommend any further testing as there is nothing you can do.  There is no treatment to erradicate HSV as the virus remains dormant.  I would only advise you to get treatment if you were to develop any symptoms: painful blistery rash on your genitals.
Best wishes,
Dr José