STDs Community
Burning and Tingling

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Burning and Tingling

The purpose of this thread is to continue a discussion from the Expert forum with 99999999. There are several posts there on what appears to be nerve or anxiety related burning and tingling.

In my circumstance. I had an sexual encounter with a with a woman. (I gave unprotected oral and we had protected intercourse).

10 days later I developed a large rash on the back of both thighs. I also lost my appetite. (It is still gone.) The rash was very itchy and spread to my buttocks. My dermatologist did not believe the rash was herpetic.

In several weeks I developed burning, tingling and occasional twitching in both thighs, penis, perineal area, lower legs, arms, tounge, and mouth.

My GP thought that it may be herpetic. I tested HSV1+, HSV2- at 6 weeks. I have been to 3 doctors and a neurologist that do not believe that it is herpes related. I tested HSV1+, HSV2- again at 3 months. The partner from this encounter tested HSV1+, HSV2- at six weeks. My previous partner of 3 years tested HSV1+, HSV2-.

Recently, after 105 days or so from the sexual encounter, the symptoms started to improve, but are not completely gone.

I have had testing for other STDs, lupus, vitamins, heavy metals, etc. No cause has been found. At this point, I do not expect to find out what is wrong. However, I do not think that it is herpes. Maybe it was some other viral infection. Who knows.

If your GP thought the rash might look herpetic and you had nerve involvement, did anyone look at Shingles?   Seems to me like the first place I'd look.
My Dermotologist did not think that the rash was Shingles or HSV1/2. It occurred on the back of both thighs. Shingles is typically one-sided.

My GP never saw the rash. It healed in 5-7 days. The nerve pain developed a few weeks later. He speculated herpes when I told him of the burning and tingling sensations in my thighs. He asked if I had a rash. I said yes. He said that it may be herpes, so I got a test at 6 weeks: HSV1+, HSV2-.

Another strange symptom was pain inside my penis. However there was clearly no lesion (because it was sporadic, there was no pain during urination, or when it was squeezed at the location of the pain). Eventually there was internal bleeding from my penis.

At this point, I doubt that I will ever find out the source. I am speculating that it was a viral, bacterial, or fungal infection related to the sexual encounter, given that it occurred one week later. However the broad symptoms both in location and manifestation make herpes unlikely. Couple that with my 2 negative HSV2 tests (6 weeks and 12 weeks) and my partners negative HSV2 tests make it very very very unlikely that HSV2 caused the problem.
i have been to my regular dr.2 times, a urologist, and a dermatologist 2 times and no one thinks its herpes.  my reg. dr. says no need to test it is not herpes(just as Dr. Handsfield did).  this started after i found now what i know to be natural spots on my scrotum, i would check them sometimes every 10 mins.  then after the last sexual relation with the person who i was with i started to feel a little itch by the scrotum so i started to self medicate which made it worse(it brought on some burning), and i also worried about it all the time.  i m pretty sure now that it is being caused by irritation.  my next question is how likely is it to get hsv2 by kissing, i kissed a girl the next day i noticed what might have been the start of a sore, i do not know if this was a cold sore or not and if it was if it was from hsv2(i have hsv1 cold sores).  almost 4 - 5 weeks later i had my cold sore at the same spot as i always do but there was another behind it, i know i was stressed out bad the night before and did not sleep what is the likely hood that i had a cold sore(hsv2) form kissing this girl?
Regarding the kissing...

You got a cold sore the day after you kissed the girl. It is not from her. There is an incubation period. It must have been your previous HSV1 infection. Catching HSV2 by kissing is unlikely. I would not worry about this anymore.

Regarding the burning and tingling...

Did it go away once you stopped self-medicating and inspecting?
no i got it 4 or 5 weeks later, i heard you would get it with in 2 weeks or less.  so my other symptoms with out sores does not sound like herpes?  i
I have a similar problem. I had a rash that my dermo said was non-herpetic. Then later I developed burning/tingling in my upper legs etc. This has been going on for 3 months. Everyone says that this is non-herpetic. (Plus I have had two negative tests.)

Frankly from the description of your symptoms and exposure, it does not sound like you have herpes. I am basing this upon the fact that your contact seems to be very superficial.

My general practitioner looked at a ton of tests and finally referred me to a neurologist. Maybe you should seek the same approach.

how long would it take for a cold sore from maybe hsv2 exposure take to show up? she had no signs of a sore the next day after some kissing she had a light color spot on her lip, i asked her about it and she said there was nothing there.  would i expect to see a blister with in 14 days or longer.  i had a cold sore 4 or 5 weeks later where i always get them but had another one behind it. could that be from being exposed to hsv2 or did i get another cold sore from hsv1 because i worried about something else that whole night and did not sleep.  could you get cold sores from hsv1 and 2 at the same time in almost the same spot
my other symptoms are getting much better by the way, they gave me desonate gel to put on
1-3 weeks for the initial sore. It really sounds like HSV1. HSV2 from a kiss is really unlikely according to the pros.
thanks i just talked to plan parenthood and they said the same thing about the time frame and they gave me other ways to tell if it was a cold sore or something else.  the thing is it depends on which site you read depends if they how easy hsv2 is through kissing.  even on med help they say its hard to get it through oral which i find that hard to believe, but they are the experts.  my dr. said hsv2 does not like the mouth so it hardly ever infects that area.  i would be suprised if 2 different hsv appeared at the same time, the new sore healed more like a canker sore with out any pain but looked like a clod sore as it came on

did you have any pain or burning in your gentials?  how long after after sex did your symptoms appear? i m trying to see how close your symptoms were to mine. i had itchyness between the scrotum and leg so i but hyrdrochromizone 1% on i did not do it long enough 2 days maybe then i put lotrimen af on that made it burn, and turned the srcotum red, then some days the penis would be irritated, then i had cyst/ pimple on both sides of my butt, and numbness and tingling which sometimes went a little way down my legs, now i have a few symptoms but not consistant as it was, i think the desonate he put me on has help

10 days after sex I had a rash on the back of my legs. The dermo said it was not herpes. I used a steriod cream on it. That caused cracking in my thigh crease so they put me on a milder cream.

somewhere between 10 days and 5 weeks I started having burning, tingling, twitching, coldness, etc. throughout my legs and genitals. It spread all the way down my legs. Also I have milder tingling in my arms.

ok so there is some things that are close in our cases, mine just started in the scrotum and moved to my legs and butt.  did you figure out what it was.  i have had a lot of DR. say its not herpes, so i will take there word for it. i always had protected sex so that makes me feel better as well
I have been trolling the net for 3 months on this topic. There are numerous posts on MedHelp and elsewhere that include prolonged burning and tingling in the genitals, legs, scrotum, buttocks. Everyone thinks that it is herpes because they read the sites that say burning and tingling are herpes. However, in all of the posts that I have seen, no one has come back and said "Yes. It was Herpes". Most of the individuals have repeated negative herpes tests, including me.
some times i really think my symptoms are becuse i checked myself so much and all the worry has enhanced the problem, i think i worry more about the oral hsv2 now.  i have searched and searched as well and some of the sites say you can have just burning and tingling and some say oral hsv2 is more common than other sites.  i would hate to think i can not kiss a girl because i think im going to get oral hsv2.  on the other hand Dr. HHH aand Hook say its rare in most of their post, and they say you can not get it from oral, so for now i m trusting the two Dr. on here.  i would like someone like them to write a small book with facts for people like us to get the facts.  i would like someone to come out with straight answers.  i have read where the cdc says they do not recommend herpes testing just to check your status because of false positves so what are you to do?  well if you find info on transmission of hsv2  by kissing let me know.  did you check out sciatica problems causing your probelm?
Dude! There are far more important things to worry about. It is highly unlikely that you will get HSV2 from kissing someone.

1. You still cross streets
2. You still get in cars
3. You still get on planes

Those are all probably higher risk.
i agree,  so are you done testing or are you going to go back for one more round?  what other sites have you looked at for info for your problem?  are you still seeing the dr. or you just going to see what happens
i was going to ask do you still have your symptoms, and  how long has it been now since they started
I am working with a neurologist now on the symptoms. They are still going on. Its been 3-4 months now. I will probably take one more test.
i think i m calling my dr. today to see if a neuroligist would be good for me as well.  i think you misunderstood when i thought i saw a sore the next day i ment on the lady i was kissing, i thought she had a score and kissed her before i saw it. thats the only reason i tought about the sore on my lip that i had 4 weeks later
Okay... Still. If it was HSV, it was probably HSV1. Just don't start using a dental dam for kissing :)
let me know what your test come back as, i can not believe it will be anything but negative, i talked to my dr. again today and they think mine is irritation.  i have a lttle concern about hsv2 in one spot or the other, even though i have had a lot of  dr.s tell me its not.  i am more sure now than i have been that i do not have it.  thanks for your help and info.  if you run across any info on oral hsv2 send it my way, and update me on anyting you find out about your problems
Result: HSV2-
your results were positive for hsv2? i m sorry to hear that! how long after exposure did you take your last test?  
sorry i misread it now i look at it i think it says negative, thats great news for you.  how long after exposure was your last test?
its been over 4 months.
that is great!! i hope you can figure out what is going on, i hope my test come out with negative result.
did you figure out what was wrong?
I know I am butting in on this thread, but I have to say that oral hsv2 is very rare, and the chances of you getting it from kissing are next to nothing.  I don't know where you read anything else, but check out the herpes handbook or ashastd.org for more info.

AJ
This sounds so much like a contact dermatitis. Questions to ask yourself. Where do I work ?. Am I around moisture , heat , chemicals, irritants. Do my clothes stay moist  or damp a lot,? What kind of soap or washing powder do I use? Does the rash itch? Do I go camping or sit on the ground or come in contact with poison ivy on a regular basis. Do I ride a bike, or a horse? Do I use a scented fragrance I may be allergic to .. This rash does not sound like any STD. Take care.
9999999999

No information yet on what is wrong...

I have tested negative twice since Feb for HSV2. I started on Cymbalta in Feb for nerve pain. I took it for 2 weeks. The pain etc. subsided, but I had to stop the treatment due to side-effects. Since then the symptoms have been diminished. However, I still have uncomfortable burning pain. Oh well...

DallasFan....

This was a one time rash followed by months of discomfort. The rash may be unrelated.
any news? do you still have problems
Bro, I have VERY similar symptoms and its been happening on/off for about 10 months. Any updates on what it could be?