STDs Community
Can you have an STD even after repeated negative test results??????

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

I've always gotten STD tests and they were always negative before and while having sex with my boyfriend of a year and a half. I started getting symptoms like odor, itching and white discharge after unprotected sex last February and March when we first got together, then I'll go to the doctor, get STD test, came back negative but would have bacteria vaginosis or yeast infection or a urinary tract infection...so fustrating!! That was the routine from last March until now.  We've had protected sex strictly starting around January but unprotected in June.  I recently tested positive for gonorrhea in August.  Could I have had gonorrhea before but tested negative all those times or is a false positive possible? my bf recently tested and didn't get his results back yet and treated with a shot but I got a pill.  His Doctor said the pill isn't strong enough but mine said it was according to CDC.  What's the difference between taking one pill and getting one shot? I know there is a possibility of cheating but what about those questions?
If you tested negative all of those times you could not have had gonorrhea. It is a new infection. I suspect that your boyfriend will also test positive. Did he have any symptoms of gonorrhea? Did you? Why did you recently test?

Some Dr's think a pill will work other think the shot is the best method. By following what the CDC says is always good advice.
There has been some resistance to the pill (cipro) and the CDC amended the recommendations in April of 07 to say that they ONLY recommend the shot (ceftriaxone).

Show your doctor this - http://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment/2006/updated-regimens.htm

However, that's not to say the cipro won't work.  If you decide to only take the cipro, you should be retested in a month.

And I agree completely with Vance.  If you had all these negative tests, and are now positive, its a new infection for you.  There aren't a lot of false positives on these tests, so I wouldn't think false positive yet unless your bf's test comes back negative.

Aj