STDs Community
Flu-like symptoms after unprotected oral

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

I recently had unprotected oral sex with a person's whose history I don't know. It was rather prolonged (we'd both been drinking) and there was no ejaculation, but there was penis/vaginal contact without penetration and I had some oral irritation. And - this may be over share, but here goes - he bit me rather hard several times up around the clitoris, and I don't know for sure if he broke skin, but I had definite pain afterward. It was dark, but I did not notice any sores on him, though I know that isn't an indicator that a carrier might not be contagious.

This happened within the last week. Since then I have developed flu-like symptoms including a sore throat, mild congestion, a fairly consistent headache at varying pain levels (though mostly low), and been more fatigued than normal. I've noticed red bumps around and north of my mons pubis that I'm hoping are irritated follicles, but I have some other irritation and itching down there that concerns me.

This was my first sexual experience (and could well be my last), it's possible I'm overly paranoid, but I'm worried about herpes. Can anyone tell me whether I will definitely get sores if my flu-like symptoms are herpes related? And is there a time-table this generally follows? I've read a couple places that some people don't notice their first outbreak, which has confused me and made me even more worried. Is it best to just go get tested for STDs/STIs?

Any answers or advice is deeply appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Hello

Let me start by saying that you were at low risk for herpes from what you describe.  A low enough risk (receiver of unprotected cunnilingus) that you shouldn't worry about it.  

I think I've also read that flu like symptoms come with no outbreak for herpes upon infection.   Though you are right to test if you really want to know, we don't recommend testing for the exposure you describe.  

The reason is simple, you are a virgin, and it is unlikely that you were infected with herpes on your first time having oral sex.  

Hello

Thank you so much for your reply. It's a relief to hear I most likely am fine and now hopefully much wiser in the bargain. So I won't schedule a special appointment, but I will probably bring it up during my next annual. Thanks again, I appreciate the clear thoughts since mine have been influenced by heavy doses of paranoia, guilt and ignorance! Take care.