Herpes from a kiss on the cheek
Hi, I read all of this inof on herpes, and because everyone has something different to say...it gets rather confusing....
Earlier my I was visiting my cousin's grandmother and she kissed leaned in to hug me and kissed me on my cheek, (I don't remember feeling any spit), and neck........Then I noticed a bump on her upper lip.  I am not sure if it was herpes (it was the same color as her skin and didn't really look blistery, but hey, it seems from photos I've seen, herpes doesn't look the same on everyone), but lets just say that it was.......I waited to get to my next destination, and wiped it with some dry toilet paper, and a few hours later, tried to wipe it with soapy water.  I don't know how effective this is, but is seemed like something to do.  How  lone can herpes stay "active or alive" on a surface?
My quesiton is...if it was herpes, is it possible to get herpes on the outside of my cheek and neck, and then, is it possible to touch that area and spread it to my lips or eye, or somewhere else...I am freaking out like I always do, and am about to go scrub my cheek some more.  
As a grown adult - oral herpes is almost always transmitted thru romantic type kissing - not the kind of kisses you get from relatives.  You are worrying too much about this!!  

grace
Please do tell - when you're a child, can you contract herpes via a 'dry kiss' i.e. a kiss on the cheek?
Maybe, but you are far more likely to get it from a kiss on the lips.  If the person doing the kissing didn't have a cold sore, its not anything to worry about.

Aj
Sorry - I didn't write your username correctly in my first post of the question....

I was wondering if you can contract HSV1 (or 2 i guess) via a 'dry' kiss, such as a kiss on the cheek, when you're a child...??  (not specifically just adults)

Also, I know I'm phobic about spreading the virus to my children (i'm a mother), however I also find it highly distressing to not be able to give them a goodnight kiss on the lips.. I used to only not do this when I had a 'tingle' or visible sores, though since reading up on coldsores etc, I've read that I can pass the virus on to them asymptomatically as well, so this would mean kissing on the lips should never be done??  I've since stopped altogether, lesion or no, but I just wanted to know if I'm doing the right thing?...
Oh kiss your kids.  :)

You are right not to if you feel a tingle or symptoms, but a quick kiss on the lips isn't going to transmit anything.

If you are this concerned, have you considered going on suppressive therapy?  We don't have studies on it for oral hsv1, but many assume that it works the same as it does on genital herpes.

You shouldn't deprive your kids, or yourself, of that wonderful bedtime ritual.  :)

Aj
What is suppressive therapy?
Suppressive therapy is taking an antiviral med daily to help prevent outbreaks.

http://www.ashastd.org/herpes/herpes_learn_oralherpes.cfm

Aj
I have a question...