STDs Community
Low Risk HPV

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Low Risk HPV

I have a few questions/concerns about low-risk hpv and I am uncomfortable askign my Dr right now about this.  About 2 months ago my Dr. told me that I had low-risk HPV, and he said all I needed to do was be checked again in 6 months.  First, does anyone know what types of symptoms are associated with low-risk HPV?  Are genital warts associated with this?  I've never had a symptom of anything, so I am a little freaked out wondering what could possibly happen to me.  Second, I asked if this could be transmited to someone else if you wear protection and he said no.  This makes me think that I have had this for over 7 years from when I was in a marriage so - is this possible that it never goes away?  I've read that it usually clears itself up in a lot of cases and people generally never know that they have it.  Third, if I get tested again and the results come back negative, does this mean that it won't come back unless I am in contact wth it again?  Finally, can you get this by letting someone perform oral sex on you, and if you have this and someone performs oral sex on you, what are the consequences for them?  Is there such a thing as passing Low-Risk HPV to someone through their mouth?  

Thanks.
Concerned.
low risk hpv is wart bearing....strains 6 and 11.High risk hpv is kind that takes up residence on womens cervix and also lives in the skin of males where it cannot b picked up with a test.it can be transmitted 2 another even with condom use for it is skin to skin and condom only covers penis not scrotum thighs buttcheeks!u can get these warts burned off.......they can come back....body can clear the virus strain and if ur rexposed 2 another it can pick up that one!i have read that if u have warts in genital area...and one performs oral sex they can pick up warts orally for the virus thrives in moist warm places!warts can live in mouth and throat!u need to fully discuss this with doctor or get to clinic where u can get free testing and also better education about HPV!check out www.ashastd.org for accurate education about many types of std's including HPV!
thanks for your information. this is very helpful. i will talk with my dr more.  there were no warts on me when i went for my last exam.  do you know by any chance if it clears itself if i am still at risk for the warts even after the test comes back negative?
i've read that when burned off warts can return a second time they r viral.HPV 6 and 11 are wart bearing strains..u can clear body of one type in a period of time get re-xposed to another and get that with its strain of warts.check out this website advised by the docs and Grace.....www.ashastd.org....a wealth of accurate info about std's and HPV!
i had just found out yesterday that i have low risk hpv... the part that leaves me so confused i havent been sexually active for 1 year and a half... i had no symptoms at all i got a pap smear done 2 times in june but everything was normal i had it done 2 times cause something in me just knew i had something... anyways yestersay i found out i had low risk hpv i had notice little small bumps they dont hurt at all they just bother when i wipe... i am a little scared but my doctor told me not to be cause it was going to away on its own... i got a shot called gardasil to prevent some type of hpv that cause cervical cancer... its a little complicated to understand how the virus is but atleast we know that we ain't stuck with it for ever that it can go away.
Thank you for your comment.  It makes me feel a lot better.  I don't understand how I got it either.  I thought I was being very careful by using protection, and my Dr said that it's not possible to get this if you protect yourself by using a condom so i don't understand how and when i contracted this.  my last pap last year came back normal, too.  it's very scary to think that you can protect yoruself and still end up with something harmful. i've read on the web that it is possible to contract this even if you use protection, so iam not sure who to believe.  my dr or the med sites.  thank goodness this is not too harmful, and that i haven't had any symptoms of it yet.  i get retested in a few more months to make sure it goes away on its own.  i'm not eligible for gardasil because i'm in my early 30s already.  they say it doesn't work after a certain age because the liklihood that women have been exposed already to the different strains of the virus is high.  that means that many women have this and they probably don't even know it.  
And Mariah....it is damn scary with both types of HPV that u can still use condoms and get HPV!high risk which gets transmitted much easier minus condom with penis meeting cervix or constant xchange of body fluids and with the low risk wart bearing strain it lives in the skin!even if u use a condom so much area not protected by condom plus even if warts r burned off and not enuf time has elapsed for virus to clear itself from body one can still get!i believe what i read on web from ashastd.org and from Drs.Hook and Handsfield here.Like u i am beyond the age for Gardisil..i am 52.I haven't had sex for  over a year.I'm one of a weird breed that b-lieves in monogomy and there is a void of decent men out there my age plus i'm so paranoid about how men lie about their sexual history just to get in ur pants.I had LEEP 8-07 and have follow-up exam 12-17 to see if its all gone....30% chance of a return and second surgery.This damn sex has not been worth it...Lord how we women pay and the men suffer little to nothing with HPV!
you can most certainly contact HPV even with protection, because condoms dont cover all the skin down there. (when you have sex with a condom, the base of the penis still comes in contact with the vaginal opening, and HPV can live there... or in the base of the penis, either way). it is contracted by skin to skin contact, and is highly contagious, so its very possible this is what happened to those of you who used protection and still got it.
i know its scary i got it treated allready on friday. it stinged a little but only for a few minutes. my doctor said that girls my age are likely to get rid of it on its own, i'm 16 by the way. i'm alot happy now only sex is alot scary and that's why i havent had sex for almost 2 years now. you can even get hpv by oral sex this is real scary man i'm going to wait until i get married. sex becomes nasty after wards