STDs Community
Negative Bacteria Culture and MG/UU

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Negative Bacteria Culture and MG/UU

A few weeks ago, after unprotected intercourse, I started having itching and discomfort at head of my penis.  Very slight discharge.  No real pain, just discomfort.  Urine dribbles out after finishing.  Had a battery of urine and blood STD tests.  All negative.  

Doctor thought it might be prosthititis.  Took Cipro for 14 days.  No change in symptoms. Went on Azythromiacin for 5 day dose.  No real change in symptoms.  I finished the Azythro, although I know that it continues to work for a few days and I went back to the Dr. this weekend.  Dr. took a urine sample and it came back negative for bacteria; culture was also negative.  This morning, I peed on the home UTI stick and it was positive (Positive leukocytes and negative nitrites).  Doctor thinks I am bacteria free and it will pass.  Doctor told me to stop peeing on the stick and the postive result from the stick it is not as reliable as the lab test.

My sex partner states that she exhibits no signs of discomfort. I suggested that she see her Gyne and check.  

I am worried about Mycoplasma Genitalium or Ureaplasma.  I am not aware of any commercially available testing site in my area.  I am aware of the lab at UAB, but samples must be submitted by a physician.  My Doctor is not going to go ahead and order the test.  

Is anyone aware of a physician or lab in the Chicago area that will screen/test for MG or UU?  Lab Corp advertises a test, but it does not appear to be a PCR test.

I am at loss to explain the different results between the Lab and home test.  The lab test sample was given midday and the home test was first urine of the day.  Maybe that explains it?  

If I had MG would it always show up as positive for bacteria on a urine test, no matter when the sample was taken?

I may just be working this up in my mind and Cipro and Azythro worked and got whatever it was and left the symptoms behind (not sure what it was, the original test did not culture the bacteria).  

As a precaution, he put me on Bactrim for 7 days.  He is not sure it will have any effect.

I am ready to ask for Avelox and go at this full force, but if it is not MG, it is a waste with alot of potential side effects.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks for listening.
Tags: MG, MG Bacteria UU Itching, Mycoplasma genitalium, uereaplasma
I wish I could give you some help but I don't know that much about MG. Best bet might be to pay and post in the "Expert" forum and have one of the Dr's give you an answer.
Northwestern University Medical Center labs test for M. G.