STDs Community
RPR Nonreactive

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

RPR Nonreactive

after a call from the health department saying i was exposed to syphilis I went to the clinic for a test and presumptive treatment.

Today i got a call from the health department saying my test came back negative, but shortly after i got a call from the clinic saying my RPR was non reactive, but the test showed treponem (spelling?).  I had never been positively diagnosed with syphilis in the past, though I suspect I may have had it and was on IV antibiotics for unrelated circumstances around the time i likely had it.

With a nonreactive RPR does that mean I do not have syphilis?  the clinic was not very clear and said I needed to come back in for another test, but not for another treatment.  Why would the health department call me and say everything was ok if in fact it wasn't?
They probably got the RPR back first, then the other in today.

If you can find out exactly what testing you had done, I can help you understand it better.

Its good that you got treated anyway.  They should also know, but won't be able to tell you, how long it has been since you were potentially exposed.  I'd guess its recent if they only gave you 1 shot, and you don't have to go back for others.

You probably have to go back in 3 months for a follow up test, is that correct?  Or are they wanting you to go back in now to confirm an infection?

Aj
Avatar n tn
as I said the nurse practitioner did not explain things very clearly to me.  I am supposed to go back in for another test, but not necessarily more treatment.  I actually received two shots of penicillin the day of the initial test.

is there a chance I have it or do the test results mean I had it in the past?

I am a bit antsy about the whole thing.

Thanks.
Most likely, its from the past infection.  Its not sounding like a current infection if the RPR is negative.

Aj
Avatar n tn
thank you so much for your help.

Avatar n tn
I was wondering if you could explain something to be a little bit more clearly.

As I said before my RPR was nonreactive, but my FT-ABS was reactive.  You said it didn't sound like a current infection.  The question I have is if you can be contagious with a nonreactive RPR?

Since your RPR was negative, I'd guess you were treated for it in the past?  Is that correct?

If you were treated, then you weren't infectious.

Aj