Recurring urethra pain
Hello, I'm a 31 year old circumcised male. For the last 9 months or so I've been getting strange sensations in the tip of my penis, seemingly in my urethra although it's difficult to tell. It's accompanied by a general 'uncomfortable' feeling in my groin and sometimes even up to my bladder. Sometimes the very tip of my penis / urethra hurts a little, where it touches my underwear. Gently pulling apart my urethra opening reveals the inside is red (but I suppose it would be normally) and looks normal. . However I don't have pain when urinating, there's no visible redness, no discharge and there's nothing to see really. In fact the symptoms are very very mild - if I wasn't such a hypochondriac I probably wouldn't even notice it. It's definitely  affecting my ability to get erections, and although that may be psychological I feel like the muscles at the base of my penis / perineum are affected by it.

When it first occurred 9 months ago, I hadn't been sexually active for about 2 or 3 months. I went to the docs and my penis etc was visually checked out by a doctor who pronounced it as 'unremarkable' (thanks doc!) and could see no evidence of STD's or anything bad. He said it could be prostatitis, gave me some antibiotics and told me not to worry. He did a urine dip, a blood test, a chlamydia and gonorrhoea test - all of which were negative. I had been masturbating a lot so I did wonder if I'd damaged myself. Anyway, that episode came and went, it got better and I forgot about it. Just after that I slept with a girl but had no reason to suspect anything untoward from her.

Since then I wasn't sexually active at all, for about 7/8 months. In that time I've had probably half a dozen recurring episodes of this problem, some worse than others but with no other new symptoms. I've pretty much put down to a chronic recurring prostatitis or non-gonococcal urethritis and tried not to think about it. I had a bad episode about 6 weeks ago, went to the docs again and again had negative tests for urine, blood, chlamydia and gonorrhoea. That doc was pretty dismissive so I've just got on with life.

However the last couple of days I've been feeling it again - and made the mistake of googling it again and now I think I've got every disease under the sun. I'm particularly worried about something like herpes, especially after reading about Herpetic urethritis - although with no other evidence or history of symptoms, no blisters or sores or rash ever - I'm certain it can't be anything like that. Doesn't stop me worrying though! I get spots on my bum (as well as my back) and I've been checking them out to make sure they are just spots. I'm 99.9% sure they are! Having read this thread http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/Urethral-herpes-Please-help/show/1086350 it seems sensible not to worry too much about herpes.

I'm finding it really frustrating, I just want to know what it is and what I might be able to do to to alleviate it. And the longer it goes on the more anxious I get about it. I find myself looking so closely at my groin that anything I see I think it's something wrong. One theory I have is that it could be correlated to when I trim the pubic hair on my scrotum - whether the short, stiffer hair is aggravating the tip of my penis!!

If anyone has any theories, thoughts, personal experience or just kind words to stop me worrying about the worse possible diagnosis I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks.
more likely this is chronic pelvic pain syndrome than it is a std. google it ( Dr HHH recommends a wiki article I believe if you want to look on the std experts forum past posts search part ) .

see an urologist at this point for further evaluation.  no reason to think it's herpes going on either.

grace