STDs Community
Strep B and oral sex

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

Strep B and oral sex

I have been having what I thought were terrible yeast infections off and on for about four months. I went to the Dr and was told that I have Group B Strep. I am on antibiotics now, but does my husband need to be treated also and is there any way that I could have gotten it in my mouth from oral sex? The last two times that I gave him oral sex I broke out in the most painful blisters on my tonsils. I went to the Dr. because I thought that I had strep throat and the test came back as just a virus, however, I don't know what virus.
No they do not treat the partner for strep b.  Usually it's a pretty self limiting infection in the vagina but sometimes it can cause painful symptoms as you've seemed to have had.  It's really only an issue for pregnancy though of course staying comfortable is also very important!  

I think you are confusing strep throat which is caused by strep A with strep B with your question about thru oral sex but if you are having throat issues you need to continue to follow up on them separately with your provider. There are many viruses out there that can cause symptoms in the throat area.  Since strep is not a virus then it's not the cause of your throat symptoms if the culture is coming back with a virus present.  

grace
i went to the doctor with frush and i went back again for some swabs and they came back saying i had strep b by having oral sex is that true because i dont have a clue i never even heard of strep b till the other day
your throat swab was strep B or did they just tell you it was + for strep?

grace